Author Topic: [IC] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (GB completed)  (Read 102883 times)

Offline zslane

Re: [IC] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (now live on MassDrop)
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 14:28:25 »
Your unwavering support has been much appreciated, Niomosy.  :thumb:

Offline evoman

« Reply #351 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 17:23:57 »
I confess that I'm a little torn over how to approach issues of MOQ, just from a personal philosophical point of view. On the one hand, I am sympathetic to buyers who are in a small category and have difficulty getting their preferred kits to tip. On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the idea of eliminating choices just to forcibly channel buyers towards kits they don't really want.

To be honest, Dancer was a bit of an afterthought, born out of the recognition that people often ask for the reverse of the colorway offered. In all honesty, I don't expect any of the Dancer kits to tip at all, but I see no harm in offering them anyway. I realize there is the possibility that offering two ISO colorways might "split the vote", but I think the risk is worth it. Besides, forcing buyers of the primary colorway to buy reverse kits just to help them tip seems horribly wrong to me.

Oddly, I was sure that i was going to order the Dancer set and reconsidered given the discount on the Dasher - and the more I looked the more I realized that I am actually likely to prefer the Dasher set given the better contrast on the alphas. So the mob intelligence pushed me in the right direction!

The main issue I have with the various options and pricing model is that I felt compelled to add a num key set, even though I have no place to use it since I don't want to be left needing it later if I get a num pad or a full sized keyboard. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 18:05:45 »
I completely understand your thinking on this, evoman.

In fact, it is one of the reasons I made the base kit a TKL configuration. With just the addition of one kit, the numpad, you are covered if you ever want to redeploy Dasher to any of the three most common platforms: 60%, TKL, or full-size.

Given how infrequently SA sets get re-run--due to SP's limited manufacturing capacity and the insatiable hunger the community has for new sets over old ones--it is highly likely this will be the only chance we'll get at this. Better to stock up now than to regret it later, after its too late, and your only hope is to find what you need in the classifieds.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 21:40:23 »
In fact, it is one of the reasons I made the base kit a TKL configuration. With just the addition of one kit, the numpad, you are covered if you ever want to redeploy Dasher to any of the three most common platforms: 60%, TKL, or full-size.

Given how infrequently SA sets get re-run--due to SP's limited manufacturing capacity and the insatiable hunger the community has for new sets over old ones--it is highly likely this will be the only chance we'll get at this. Better to stock up now than to regret it later, after its too late, and your only hope is to find what you need in the classifieds.

So TRUE.

This may be the ONLY running of this colour-way hence go in fast before it passes you by.  Nothing worse than experiencing history being made and missing out, then later regretting not buying it when it was available.

I NEVER let a brilliant Colour-way pass me by because I refuse to be one of those lame individuals always begging the organizers to re-run it again in the future because I was so damn lazy to buy it in the first place.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 23:14:10 »
Your unwavering support has been much appreciated, Niomosy.  :thumb:

Just happy to see these sets come to fruition.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Offline PollandAkuma

Re: [GB] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (now live on MassDrop)
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 11:33:59 »
I love this set - I don't suppose anyone knows whether there is an import tariff on keycaps bring them into the UK? (keyboards are apparently exempt, though i believe I would owe VAT)

Maybe we could buy together and split shipping?

Offline evoman

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 04:22:08 »
I love this set - I don't suppose anyone knows whether there is an import tariff on keycaps bring them into the UK? (keyboards are apparently exempt, though i believe I would owe VAT)

Maybe we could buy together and split shipping?

Could work, though half of the international shipping is probably not a massive savings over the cost of sending with the UK (I haven't done the exchange rate calculation, but my guess is that it is around £12 for shipping).

The VAT cost will be the bigger issue - and if they add any tariff it will really push up costs (maybe I need to ship to a US based address!)

Offline zslane

Re: [IC] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (expected DECEMBER drop)
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 16:04:38 »
BTW your pictures in the OP are dead and I'm looking for one of them. It's the Dasher set with the white giant keyboard render. I didn't save it and it was a very pleasing/relaxing picture to look at. Mind re-uploading it?

For what it's worth I changed all the image links so they are served from my DropBox now.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 06:00:53 »
Sick sales numbers. Congrats!

Offline zslane

« Reply #359 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 11:53:17 »
My thanks go out to everyone who helped make SA Dasher & Dancer a success!

Next up...

1. G20 Semiotic
2. Hermes/Mercury Rocketeer (SA)

Offline poolside

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:18:44 »

Good news, Rocketeer is not dead. That Hermes keycap green is beautiful  :)
It might be a bit far ahead but there will be plenty of other nice keysets coming out to kill the time.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:47:41 »
My thanks go out to everyone who helped make SA Dasher & Dancer a success!

Congratulations on the success, man. You deserve it, you put such hard work into what you do - can't wait for the next sets to become available, Rocketeer has some really cool colours and I've said from the start that I'm for sure in with Semiotic.

Offline zslane

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 16:24:15 »

It might be a bit far ahead but there will be plenty of other nice keysets coming out to kill the time.

I'd like to point out that Rocketeer would be much more than just a keycap set for 60% boards (and smaller). I want to make it a bundle GB which would include a keyboard, custom aluminum case, keycaps, and cable, all color coordinated to match the theme of the Hermes Rocket typewriter.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 08:42:29 »

I'd like to point out that Rocketeer would be much more than just a keycap set for 60% boards (and smaller). I want to make it a bundle GB which would include a keyboard, custom aluminum case, keycaps, and cable, all color coordinated to match the theme of the Hermes Rocket typewriter.

Sounds dreamy.  :)

I'll put my vote in on a case that is more than just a low profile slim rectangle.  I think the Rocketeer set would look very nice on the ramabae65.  Beefy caps in a beefy case.  Wonder if we can convince him to do a custom green run  :p

Offline zslane

Re: [IC] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (GB completed)
« Reply #364 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 09:58:34 »
Agreed!

Already approached him about such a project, so stay tuned.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #365 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 11:11:31 »
Agreed!

Looking forward to this also...
I'm envisioning a stamped steel high wall case with a half bullnose edge.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Offline mathilda

[IC] SA Dasher and SA Dancer sculptured keysets (GB completed)
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 11:59:51 »
Just want to remind your guys here that zslane has a very beautiful keyset design currently called "Batgirl/Nightbird". Hope the terrific success of Dancer&Dasher drop will give him enough motivation to complete it.

@zslane: Batgirl/Nightbird pleaseeeeeeeee! How about a half moon icon instead of copyright protected bat icon?

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 December 2016, 12:05:37 by mathilda »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 12:01:23 »
Just want to remind your guys here that zslane has a very beautiful keyset design currently called "Batgirl/Nightbird". Hope the terrific success of Dancer&Dasher drop will give him enough motivation to complete it.

@zslane: Batgirl/Nightbird pleaseeeeeeeee! How about a half moon icon instead of bat icon?

Show Image

I like it!

Offline zslane

« Reply #368 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 19:26:53 »
There is also a render using DSA (with more evolved novelties), but the thing that really kills it dead in its tracks is the inability to use the bat logo.

156332-0

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 20:37:29 »
There is also a render using DSA (with more evolved novelties), but the thing that really kills it dead in its tracks is the inability to use the bat logo.

(Attachment Link)
I saw this render quite a while ago.  I always thought it deserved more attention. I hope it comes true. ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 13:37:04 »
Agreed!

Glad to see Rocketeer possibly returning as it was a very nice looking colorway.

Offline zslane

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 15:41:08 »
I have a full set of kit renders ready, but am uncertain about what should go into the SPECIALTY and the BLANKS kits.

I will eventually start an IC thread for it, but first I need to armor myself against the inevitable resistance to its "60% and smaller" concept. (And by 60% I really mean 60%, as in 62 keys or fewer).

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 16:53:54 »
I have a full set of kit renders ready, but am uncertain about what should go into the SPECIALTY and the BLANKS kits.

I will eventually start an IC thread for it, but first I need to armor myself against the inevitable resistance to its "60% and smaller" concept. (And by 60% I really mean 60%, as in 62 keys or fewer).
I'm sure you can get it going, even with some complaints about the concept. We've already had DSA Wolf Mark focus on 60% and lower.

Sent from my LG-V20

Offline zslane

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:16:35 »
And the LightCycle Minivan as well. So there is certainly precedent, and on MassDrop no less. Which I am hoping to exploit in order to cultivate the support of the mechdesign brain trust.

Offline zslane

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 16:16:16 »
For those of you who participated in this drop but are no longer following the MassDrop discussion page, it was announced today that all kits will be produced, even the three that did not reach MOQ (Dancer ISO, Dancer NORDE, and Dancer COLEVRAK).  :D

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 07:58:05 »
That is good news but I wish Massdrop could work this out before the drop ended :(  I changed my order around on the last day assuming Dancer ISO was not going to make it :(

Offline imprevade

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 09:12:02 »
I'm getting stoked for Dasher! Here's a 65% render I did last night. Unfortunately I didn't have enough foresight to snag a specialty kit—anyone out there going to have a specialty kit they might sell?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:06:41 by imprevade »

Offline zslane

« Reply #377 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:47:16 »
That is good news but I wish Massdrop could work this out before the drop ended :(  I changed my order around on the last day assuming Dancer ISO was not going to make it :(

I hear you, and I agree with you.

But until recently--and by recently I mean the last couple of SA group buys--MassDrop couldn't necessarily count on there being enough margin on the kits that did reach MOQ to fund pushing the kits that didn't. They have historically played it safe by waiting for final sales numbers to come in at the end (especially due to all the orders that come flooding in from Chinese proxies in the final hours) before determining the financial viability of pushing all kits through.

Hopefully MassDrop has now accumulated a large enough customer base that they can make it standard practice to push all kits through regardless of how far from MOQ (which is only 25 in many cases, after all) they ended up. And if they do, they need to make it very clear in the drop description, so that nobody worries about having to change or cancel their order at the last minute.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 22:58:36 »
What are the chances of me finding the specialty kits anywhere? I want to get these for my Elephant.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:19:19 »
What are the chances of me finding the specialty kits anywhere? I want to get these for my Elephant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/