Author Topic: [GB] Borsdorf: a 66% keyboard for Alps switches and Apple M3501 ISO keycaps  (Read 24396 times)

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
Hello everyone and welcome to the Groupbuy for the Borsdorf, the first custom keyboard for Apple M3501 ISO Keycaps.

(Founder's Edition engraving )
Thanks to Egla and Kwerdenker for the photos

More

(Apple Sticker not included)

Typing Test:

Some time ago Westfoxtrot of Cablecardesigns created the Cyclops PCB to solve the unique predicament of using the ISO keycaps from Apple's M3501 keyboard, more commonly known as the AEKII, in a modern layout. From there on I designed a custom case to better accomodate the inherently curved caps. After a small initial private round I have partnered with mykeyboard.eu to deliver a full fledged GB for this board.

Specs:

• Anodized Aluminium Case made in Belgium by Salvun
  • 8-Point topmount with plastic washers
  • PCB by Cutie Club, STM32 based, USB C, QMK compatible, Capslock LED for those with SKCLs who fancy it
  • Carbon Fiber Plate
  • 5° typing angle
  • comes with a high quality Swisstools Torx tool
  • 66% Layout
    More

Groupbuy figures:

• unlimited quantity
  • runs until May 3rd
  • estimated delivery around October (Normally I'd go with a more agressive timeline but alas, we have a global pandemic happening right now. The boards may well arrive earlier but better safe than sorry)
  • 300€ kit cost with VAT
  • Anodizing available in Titanium Grey, Navy and Bordeaux
    More

• Cerakoting in standard colors available per request for a 60€ premium

Borsdorf product page link
Google form - color selection

FAQ:

• Which switches can I use with this? Any Alps Style switch will work, this means ALPS SKCM/SKCL, SKBM/SKBL and Matias switches (also Tai-Hao APCs but I cannot recommend that)
  • Where can I source caps? In my experience the M3501 is the most common Alps board on the European market by a decent margin, eBay and your local craigslist equivalents will cover you, please consider shooting for defect ones so functional boards don't need to be gutted
  • ne ANSI avail? Not for the time being, no. There may well be an ANSI round further down the line but no concrete plans as of writing
  • Will this work for [Alps Keyset that is not M3501 ISO]? No, Alps don't let you play fast and loose with layouts, this only works for M3501s
  • Will this work for MX? Hard no, the PCB will sit lower, things will NOT fit. Also it'll look goofy, trust me
  • Will the OG Cyclops PCBs with mini-USB fit this case? Unfortunately no, the second iteration is explicitly designed for USB-C
  • This is cool does anyone make AEK profile artisan caps? You're in luck, Gabbzan of Gabcaps does just that and has done so already
  • Can I buy this keyboard kit outside of Europe?  Yes just contact me, NecromanX here or through Discord to help you out.
  • I have a question that's not listed here. You can reach everyone involved with the project on mykeyboard's discord at https://discord.gg/m6nggAv, the channel is in the "Keyboard Projects" category

Buildstreams:
More
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 15:37:01 by necromanx »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Approved! :thumb:

Offline pngu

• send noots
Pineapplepiepen

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
No ANSI makes me die inside... But this is the pain my ISO brethren must feel often... so I can't really complain. Does the PCB support ANSI at all? I wouldn't mind ordering a custom plate for it. If not, I'll just patiently wait for an ANSI option.

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
Good luck with the group buy!!
Awesome board!!

Offline hkiri

Not sure if I'm ready to step in the Alps hole

Offline gminso

i wish somebody would run a matching keyset GB. I think adjusting to this layout is easier than 60%. its just hard to source the keyset..

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
i wish somebody would run a matching keyset GB. I think adjusting to this layout is easier than 60%. its just hard to source the keyset..

Problem is that it would require new molds. I think these caps were made by Alps themselves, and I seriously doubt the molds are still in existence. I would totally join an AEK keycap replica GB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 14:58:32 by Iredeus »

Offline Jampot_298

pog
let's gooo

Offline gminso

can I get an extra plate + pcb? I always get them tho  :eek:

Offline Darth WTF

can I get an extra plate + pcb? I always get them tho  :eek:

Yes those are available.

Does the PCB support ANSI at all? I wouldn't mind ordering a custom plate for it. If not, I'll just patiently wait for an ANSI option.

Sadly not, ANSI support would literally need a whole second set of footprints, the only reusable ones would be the bottom row.

Offline Vigrith

Best board. Buy it.

Offline Darknight00z

Glad to see alps getting some love

Offline Darth WTF

I took some photos of my anodization sample board earlier this week, other pictures have been the Slate Cerakote from the initial private round.

More

Color is Titanium Grey.

Offline Kallus

y'all got any updates so far?

Offline Darth WTF

y'all got any updates so far?

Nothing major, protos of the new PCBs are done, one should be with me shortly.

Offline Darth WTF

Prototype PCB has arrived, production will be matte black of course.

Offline Kallus

Looking good, whats the timeline look like now?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Any update?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline igooo33333

Why does the product page say out of stock when this is unlimited?

edit:
Nevermind, I'm an idiot and forgot it's March.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 18:26:35 by igooo33333 »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Why does the product page say out of stock when this is unlimited?

edit:
Nevermind, I'm an idiot and forgot it's March.

This GB also happened last year.