Author Topic: Hello GH!  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Sockets

Hello GH!
« on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 02:41:40 »
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months now just reading and learning as much as I can but the time has come to break out of my comfort zone and say hi.
Hi, I'm Sockets and I have a problem.  I'm addicted to mechanical keyboards. How did I get here? How did I lose control over my wallet? What have I gotten myself into???
It all started quite recently... I was getting a lot of pain across my upperback, neck and shoulders from spending too much time hunched over my laptop. At the time I was doing assignments and cramming for exams so stopping was not really an option but in my holidays I started looking into how to work better.  This lead into an interest in sit/stand desks which requires a separate keyboard. While looking into different keyboard sizes, layouts, switches, keycaps, programmable keyboards etc. it has turned into a little bit of an obsession/addiction.

Which has lead me here... to GH.

I'm very new to the world of mechanical keyboards.  I'm in Australia and shipping is killer so I started with a V60 from MechKB. That was only a few months ago... Now I'm impatiently waiting on 5 different sets of keycaps and a planck for my first build while I'm already trying to decide which keyboard I would like to do for my next build!! I think I'm hooked.

Offline raymogi

Re: Hello GH!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 02:46:18 »
Welcome to hell. Seriously.

I'm in the same situation as you not too long ago, I use mech but I know nothing else about it.

Then I stumbled upon this forum from Reddit.. and the rest is history.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline krbuck

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 12:35:20 »
Hey Sockets. Welcome; think of us as a combination support group and enablers for keyboard addiction.  :D

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline Sockets

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 13:24:50 »
Haha, I suspect it will be a fair bit of enabling... but I'm cool with that.

Offline kohi

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 03:50:35 »
welcome to geekhack! which keycap sets did you get? ^-^

Offline Sockets

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 06:50:13 »
Thanks hojunski! 

I think I've gone a little bit overboard lately... In the last six weeks or so I've ordered the GMK RGBYK mod pack and a few of the Nuka Cola DSA caps from group buys here at GH.  I've ordered the Olivette Alps keycaps, two sets of Carbon and a set of white PBT DSA keycaps (for my Planck) from MD.  I also got a Deep Space planck set from PMK.  ;D

I wish I could afford classic beige too but I might have to wait until the next GMK set with black legends comes along... Sigh

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 06:58:24 »
Wellcome socket why dont you join the topre heaven? and hope you enjoy it here, and I'm the same like raymogi from reddit.

Offline Sockets

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:40:34 »
I would love to try Topre. I will when I get the opportunity. I would just like to be able to try before I committed to buying a RF, HHKB or Novatouch. I also want to build a keyboard and that's not possible with Topre as far as I know.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:13:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Shipping is a killer down here, costs a lot to get stuff shipped and it can take up to a month from most places to arrive.

Still, you've found MechKB.  Also pccasegear has a reasonable range of mechanical keyboard (especially Ducky) at reasonable prices.

Also this thread might help a little bit with your addiction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:19:27 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sockets

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:25:27 »
Hey Rowdy,

Thanks for dropping in! Its nice to meet another Aussie into KBs.

Yeah with the A$ so low and shipping being as expensive as it is, this hobby is expensive! 
I've also got to learn a little about patience.  I find the wait times to get an already made product shipped from overseas are long.... For the GB products like keycaps or custom boards which are yet to be produced it's crazy long. It seems like the best strategy is to forget you ever ordered it and be pleasantly surprised when it finally turns up! Is that what you end up doing with GB's???

Also this thread might help a little bit with your addiction.

I read that post when I first stumbled upon geekhack and kind of dismissed it but now that my wallet has been emptied its all starting to make sense!! Haha.  But seriously... Thanks for the link. It was good for me to read intelli78's "Unhacking the wallet in 2015" post again.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:59:59 »
Occasionally, very occasionally, I've received something before people in the US.

The feeling is sooooooo sweet :cool:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ