Author Topic: Coming out from under my Australian rock.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Trimethylxan

Coming out from under my Australian rock.
« on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:30:00 »
Hi all,

Long time lurker here, figure I should come out and introduce myself.
I've been collecting and playing with keyboards for some time now, spent more money on this hobby than my own car. (But that seems to be par for the course around here =P)

When I was around 10 I was handed my fathers model M, which I religously used until I bought a Razer BlackWidow years later.
Not really happy with Razers offering, I started looking for a better board, which ultimately led me here.

At the moment, my daily is a Pok3r w/greens, and I'm working on modifying a couple of Tipro boards. 

I also enjoy working on my cars, I have studied in audio and avionics engineering, but I work in IT support.... go figure.

Oh yeh, and I'm a little bit mental  :p

Now that ive all bored you all with my unecessary ramblings, ill go sit back in my lurking corner  :-X

- Trime

Please substitute for a witty line about owning more keyboards than computers

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Coming out from under my Australian rock.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:39:57 »
Oh yeh, and I'm a little bit mental  :p

I have a feeling you're gonna fit right in.

Welcome to GH!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:35:48 »
Welcome! I would like to commiserate you for living in such a far away land, and I hope you realise you are going to have to fork out a lot of money for shipping for anything and everything!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 00:23:19 »
Welcome fellow ausbro and fellow engineer!

Yeah like katushkin says, it does usually cost us a fair bit to get gear shipped down here, and takes a while too. I just keep on reminding myself that I could have fallen into a much more expensive hobby, such as photography or audio...

Offline Trimethylxan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 03:28:36 »
Yeh, the added shipping does suck.
Pretty sure 30% of the money I've bled into this hobby has gone to postage =P

@nmur Yeh it's far too easy to spend on audio >.> Especially instruments. Cameras and Cars are also drains lol

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 03:31:03 »
surprised rowdy hasn't dropped in yet. there are a good handful of aussies around here, as more of you come out of the woodwork i can imagine an australian trading network becoming more viable to save on shipping costs :)

also dont forget to follow my blog https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74337.0  :thumb:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Trimethylxan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 03:42:58 »
surprised rowdy hasn't dropped in yet. there are a good handful of aussies around here, as more of you come out of the woodwork i can imagine an australian trading network becoming more viable to save on shipping costs :)

also dont forget to follow my blog https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74337.0  :thumb:

That would be awesome! An aussie scene would be great =P there's not a whole heap of goings on down here.
Especially in Perth -_-

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 01:52:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Some of our most active Aussie members are over in WA!

More Aussie members also means more potential for keyboard tours as posting back and forth from OS countries is just silly.  Actually sometimes posting within Australia is just silly too - Aust Post charges me more to post two magazines to my brother in one bag, then to post in two bags separately, and that includes the price of the bags.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ