Author Topic: [IC] Polaris - GB has begun  (Read 227258 times)

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
Re: [IC] Polaris - GB has begun
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:23:43 »
Still no pictures or even renders of the green? I'll be skipping out if I can't see what I should be expecting.

Offline shensmobile

Re: [IC] Polaris - GB beginning today
« Reply #551 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:26:31 »
I notice that on KBDfans site, the plate becomes a separate item in the cart.  Is it possible to order without the plate if we want to save money?  I will be putting my own custom plates in for my Boardwalk PCBs. 

I asked the same thing.  If you cancel the plate order....You will get NO PLATE and will have an unbuildable Polaris lol  It all adds up in the cart to the correct Price of $265 Shipped with the standard colors

I don't plan on using the Polaris PCB though, I will be cutting my own plates and designing my own PCB for this case, so the plate is useless to me.  That's why it would be really nice to save on some cost.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:26:53 »
For what reason would I choose a WKL/Tsangen plate over a Universal one?

I think its just a cleaner plate with the WKL/HHKB plate.  Universal plates have a lot more cuts and openings for compatibility.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #553 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:28:31 »
I notice that on KBDfans site, the plate becomes a separate item in the cart.  Is it possible to order without the plate if we want to save money?  I will be putting my own custom plates in for my Boardwalk PCBs. 

I asked the same thing.  If you cancel the plate order....You will get NO PLATE and will have an unbuildable Polaris lol  It all adds up in the cart to the correct Price of $265 Shipped with the standard colors

I don't plan on using the Polaris PCB though, I will be cutting my own plates and designing my own PCB for this case, so the plate is useless to me.  That's why it would be really nice to save on some cost.

He did say he was realeasing the plate files before they ship out so that actually would be a good choice if you plan on making your own plate.

Offline fractl

« Reply #554 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:34:46 »
I definitely agree about seeing real sample for color, especially in regard to something so variable and subtle as rose gold.  Displaying the color as it's displayed is pretty meaningless, since a color code means nothing unless it's been selected by someone using a calibrated monitor and then viewed by someone who also has a calibrated monitor.  Otherwise, it's just data that every monitor will pretty much display differently.

If the colors are the same as other KBDFans keyboards, then that reference is fine, but there's no indication of this.  Besides, I've seen something like purple anodization look very different on different KBDFans keyboards.  And, as far as rose gold goes, there isn't any other KBDFans KB to use as reference anyway, as far as I know.

I realize it's early in the GB, but, if I decide on rose gold, for example, I'd need to see something more accurate before joining.  Of course, the same thing about color calibration goes for a photo, but at least it represents an anodized surface batter than a color code does.

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #555 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:42:05 »
I definitely agree about seeing real sample for color, especially in regard to something so variable and subtle as rose gold.  Displaying the color as it's displayed is pretty meaningless, since a color code means nothing unless it's been selected by someone using a calibrated monitor and then viewed by someone who also has a calibrated monitor.  Otherwise, it's just data that every monitor will pretty much display differently.

If the colors are the same as other KBDFans keyboards, then that reference is fine, but there's no indication of this.  Besides, I've seen something like purple anodization look very different on different KBDFans keyboards.  And, as far as rose gold goes, there isn't any other KBDFans KB to use as reference anyway, as far as I know.

I realize it's early in the GB, but, if I decide on rose gold, for example, I'd need to see something more accurate before joining.  Of course, the same thing about color calibration goes for a photo, but at least it represents an anodized surface batter than a color code does.

If I had thousands of dollars to burn on one-offs of every single color, I would
Unfortunately, I do not

Colors will be matched to this

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #556 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:43:41 »

If I had thousands of dollars to burn on one-offs of every single color, I would
Unfortunately, I do not

Show Image

What is YOUR personal favorite colorway, dad?

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #557 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:44:36 »
What is YOUR personal favorite colorway, dad?

This

Offline LubedNReady

• keep it kinky with Krytox
« Reply #558 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:46:15 »
Um, I don't think I brought enough lube.
i fap with 205g0

Offline jooobe

« Reply #559 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:47:38 »
Lotion

I got bliss, 8008, and serika coming, which color case should I get so I can rock them all

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:53:51 by jooobe »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:49:52 »
Stop using it for your... "extracurriculars" lol

Offline bengine

« Reply #561 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:54:25 »
Lotion

I got bliss, 8008, and serika coming, which color case should I get so I can rock them all

Neutral colors: Black or E-White or Space Gray

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #562 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:31:27 »
Love the renders on the product page

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Polaris - Gasket 60% for $265
« Reply #563 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:34:04 »
Anyone interested in designing an Alps PCB and plate for this baby?  :)

I'm planning to get a white Tsangan MX kit, but I'd like to try some brown Alps on it as well.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #564 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:35:38 »
Will the non pvd black brass tarnish/ is it sealed?

also where does fr4 fall in terms of flex vs brass and poly?
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:38:50 by rockydbull »

Offline LubedNReady

• keep it kinky with Krytox
« Reply #565 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:38:19 »

until Johnson & Johnson can figure out whatever black magic Krytox has done, I must serve my conviction.

Lotion

I'm pretty sure you have to get a black for GMK 8008, a rose gold for SA Bliss, and e-white for GMK Cafe. Not positive, but I think that's the only option.

**You're lucky that the e-white will also go with KAT Milkshake when you buy that.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:46:19 by LubedNReady »
i fap with 205g0

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:38:55 »
Will the non pvd brass tarnish/ is it sealed?

Clear PVD, so it won't tarnish unless you scrape the PVD surface off

Offline fractl

« Reply #567 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:42:59 »

Unfortunately, I do not

Show Image

I didn't expect you to spend thousands of dollars... but I did think that maybe the factory would provide small anodization samples for your confirmation, and I though those might be shared with as, as sometimes happens with other KB group buys... at least for something like rose gold, which is new for KBDFans.

My point was that unless we're talking about a color managed environment with calibrated monitors, an HTML color code will look different on my my monitor, your monitor, the factory's monitor, other buyers' monitors.  It's why so many people end up unhappy about keyset and KB colors, because an HTML color code means nothing until a monitor interprets it, and there's no consistency between uncalibrated monitors.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or single you out for something that's done far from optimally in most cases, but an HTML color code for pink has little relation to what the finished, anodized color will look like.  As I said, I thought you might show a photo of an small anodization sample for rose gold, since there aren't any other KBDFans keyboard of that color for reference.

I also don't expect you to do anything differently on my account.  I was just wondering if there would be anodization samples.  Not to be argumentative, but because it determines whether I'd buy a rose gold KB or not.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #568 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:43:23 »
Will the non pvd brass tarnish/ is it sealed?

Clear PVD, so it won't tarnish unless you scrape the PVD surface off

Awesome! Now to decide which pvd finish I want

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #569 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:49:24 »

Unfortunately, I do not

Show Image

I didn't expect you to spend thousands of dollars... but I did think that maybe the factory would provide small anodization samples for your confirmation, and I though those might be shared with as, as sometimes happens with other KB group buys... at least for something like rose gold, which is new for KBDFans.

My point was that unless we're talking about a color managed environment with calibrated monitors, an HTML color code will look different on my my monitor, your monitor, the factory's monitor, other buyers' monitors.  It's why so many people end up unhappy about keyset and KB colors, because an HTML color code means nothing until a monitor interprets it, and there's no consistency between uncalibrated monitors.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or single you out for something that's done far from optimally in most cases, but an HTML color code for pink has little relation to what the finished, anodized color will look like.  As I said, I thought you might show a photo of an small anodization sample for rose gold, since there aren't any other KBDFans keyboard of that color for reference.

I also don't expect you to do anything differently on my account.  I was just wondering if there would be anodization samples.  Not to be argumentative, but because it determines whether I'd buy a rose gold KB or not.

Very well-said.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #570 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:05:12 »

until Johnson & Johnson can figure out whatever black magic Krytox has done, I must serve my conviction.

Lotion

I'm pretty sure you have to get a black for GMK 8008, a rose gold for SA Bliss, and e-white for GMK Cafe. Not positive, but I think that's the only option.

**You're lucky that the e-white will also go with KAT Milkshake when you buy that.
How much can I get for a kidney

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #571 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:48:11 »

Unfortunately, I do not

Show Image

It's a budget friendly board. While the colors might not match exactly, it may not be too far off. If this was a super premium board, I think your expectations would be in-line

Offline ilezia

« Reply #572 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:54:44 »

Unfortunately, I do not

Show Image

It's a budget friendly board. While the colors might not match exactly, it may not be too far off. If this was a super premium board, I think your expectations would be in-line

Would the blue-grey be closer to the block colour posted before or this render here?

Quite a big difference and one that will decide if I go for this colour. No digs at anyone, just curious.

Offline donkey

« Reply #573 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:51:11 »
I ordered a Black one.

Wife: "Woo. E-White looks good."
Me: "Yup. It costs just $40 more."
Wife: "Black one looks even better."
Me: "..."

Offline kekstee

« Reply #574 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:29:19 »
Any details on what exactly is the FR4 material option and what to expect from it?

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #575 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:36:02 »
Any details on what exactly is the FR4 material option and what to expect from it?

Should ask in GB thread so others can see the same.

OP/mods, this should be closed if possible

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #576 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:48:56 »
Group Buy thread is posted, please take future discussion there :thumb: