Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 936445 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #1450 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 10:41:33 »
Awesome! I'll dig in!

Also, what's the policy on officially supporting/adding boards? Just a finalized PCB?

If you think a board should be supported, make it work and then send a pull request on github.

New support can be added in most cases without changing any code.  You get version 2.1 of the keymapper and run it.  This will create ~/.EasyAVR (probably c:\users\username\.EasyAVR on windows).  Then you go into the easykeymap/boards directory in the source and copy the example handwire.py file to your ~/.EasyAVR/boards directory.  Rename it to anything you want.  Edit the file and follow the directions to add support for your own board.  This can be done as many times as you need.  Just make sure to give each board a unique ID.

When you're done and everything is working, if you think that your config would be useful for others, you can add it to the source code proper and make a pull request.  If you don't know how to use git, you can just send it to me and I'll do it.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #1451 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 11:23:44 »
Anyone know if there has been any work or fork done for the GH60 Satan/CHN Rev? I think it was mentioned here before, but not sure if anyone picked it up or not. I love the Satan, but damn is it a pain to do everything manually  :-X.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1452 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 11:52:03 »
Anyone know if there has been any work or fork done for the GH60 Satan/CHN Rev? I think it was mentioned here before, but not sure if anyone picked it up or not. I love the Satan, but damn is it a pain to do everything manually  :-X.

If I make a test build tonight, will you test it?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1453 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 11:56:25 »
Is there a new cross platform version with the new JD45 and JD40 PCB support?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1454 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:08:47 »

It's in Github.  I haven't made download packages yet.  I'm working on releases and documentation this week, in between Sigma :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1455 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:21:37 »
I'm trying this with a fresh Linux install, had to install python3-tk but then I get these errors (both commands run from the folder with them in)

Code: [Select]
./easykeymap.sh

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/joe/Downloads/EasyAVR-master/keymapper/easykeymap/gui.py", line 31, in <module>
    from tkinter import *

or

python3.4 easykeymap/gui.py

File "easykeymap/gui.py", line 46, in <module>
    from easykeymap import __version__
ImportError: No module named 'easykeymap'

First thing I tried last time was running the installer so I guess that will fix it, but thought this might be useful?

@jdcarpe it can be made to run and the latest commit says "Add support for new JD45 and JD40 boards by Wilba" so should work for them.  I can test on my JD40 (from ctrl alt in late 2014) if that helps?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1456 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:44:53 »
I'm trying this with a fresh Linux install, had to install python3-tk but then I get these errors (both commands run from the folder with them in)

./easykeymap.sh

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/joe/Downloads/EasyAVR-master/keymapper/easykeymap/gui.py", line 31, in <module>
    from tkinter import *

Okay, so what's happening is that you may have installed python3-tk, but your system is configured to use python2 by default, and that must not have the tk libs installed.  I will fix the unhelpful error in this situation.

or

python3.4 easykeymap/gui.py

File "easykeymap/gui.py", line 46, in <module>
    from easykeymap import __version__
ImportError: No module named 'easykeymap'

First thing I tried last time was running the installer so I guess that will fix it, but thought this might be useful?

You should run "python3.4 -m easykeymap.gui"
That should work.

@jdcarpe it can be made to run and the latest commit says "Add support for new JD45 and JD40 boards by Wilba" so should work for them.  I can test on my JD40 (from ctrl alt in late 2014) if that helps?

Aparently there are now 3 JD45 variants, all with different hardware, and my code currently only supports two.  Wilba's boards aren't available to the public yet, as far as I know

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1457 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:49:26 »

It's in Github.  I haven't made download packages yet.  I'm working on releases and documentation this week, in between Sigma :)

Well, it sure is! I had downloaded it, but I didn't realize that was it. Something seems wrong with the Fn layers on the JD45. They seem to be a row off. I press Fn+W, and it cursors down, instead of up. Same throughout. I can hack in replacement code, if needed.

Wilba's boards aren't available to the public yet, as far as I know

The JD45s are on sale now. Click the link in my sig to order! :P

JD40s coming soon...
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:51:42 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1458 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 13:05:08 »

Well, it sure is! I had downloaded it, but I didn't realize that was it. Something seems wrong with the Fn layers on the JD45. They seem to be a row off. I press Fn+W, and it cursors down, instead of up. Same throughout. I can hack in replacement code, if needed.

Okay, THAT's bad.  I'm pretty sure I just figured out the problem, though.  It's in the keymapper.  I'll fix it tonight.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1459 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 13:07:35 »
Okay, THAT's bad.  I'm pretty sure I just figured out the problem, though.  It's in the keymapper.  I'll fix it tonight.

Thanks! Happy to test for you, now that I figured out how to install dfu-programmer on this mac. :)

in memoriam

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1460 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:33:03 »
You should run "python3.4 -m easykeymap.gui"
That should work.

Nope, different again!

python3.4 -m gui.py

/usr/bin/python3.4: Error while finding spec for 'gui.py' (<class 'ImportError'>: No module named 'easykeymap')

For the record 'python' is indeed linked to version 2.7.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1461 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:41:05 »
Well,  it works for me

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1462 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:46:32 »
Hmm... this is a 32bit Xubuntu install so nothing exotic.  Hopefully everyone else's experience follows yours, I'll just bodge round it :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1463 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 15:27:55 »
I don't know why these distros wouldn't install the full python installation by default, but that's just a cost of using that platform, I suppose.

By the way, python -m gui.py isn't correct syntax.  When using -m you don't specify files names, but module names.

Also, I should add that Python 2.7 still works with the keymapper and I'm probably going to continue supporting it.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1464 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 17:37:37 »

Thanks! Happy to test for you, now that I figured out how to install dfu-programmer on this mac. :)

I committed something that should fix it.

By the way, how did you get it working on the mac?  I am going to write the HOWTO and I'd like to include mac instructions.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1465 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:15:37 »

I added support.  Go ahead and give it a shot.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1466 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:19:00 »
I have started making releases again.  I just published 2.1.4 on the wiki.  Next stop, documentation.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1467 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:57:57 »

I committed something that should fix it.

By the way, how did you get it working on the mac?  I am going to write the HOWTO and I'd like to include mac instructions.

Works like a charm on my new JD45 now. Thanks!

Installing AVR and dfu-programmer on the Mac was non-trivial. I first tried it manually, but could never get libusb to compile. Finally, after searching Google, I used this guide to get it going. It now works flawlessly. First, you need to install Cross Pack for AVR, then use the install script you can download from that page to install dfu-programmer.

in memoriam

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #1468 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 16:18:19 »
Installing AVR and dfu-programmer on the Mac was non-trivial. I first tried it manually, but could never get libusb to compile. Finally, after searching Google, I used this guide to get it going. It now works flawlessly. First, you need to install Cross Pack for AVR, then use the install script you can download from that page to install dfu-programmer.
I personally would not recommend going this way - use homebrew! After installing homebrew, just
brew install dfu-programmer Installs dependencies automatically, and the best part is that it's all uninstallable and upgradeable.
EDIT: For avr stuff, do
brew tap jpommerening/avr
brew update
brew install avr-libc

Offline PomstaZLesa

« Reply #1469 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 21:39:44 »
Macro record doesnt seem to work in easykeymap_windows_2_01_04. Also, Fn layer starts with all blanks instead of default layout[not sure if feature or bug]

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1470 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 22:53:18 »
Macro record doesnt seem to work in easykeymap_windows_2_01_04. Also, Fn layer starts with all blanks instead of default layout[not sure if feature or bug]

What board are you using?  I just tested RAM macros on my Epsilon, and it seems to work.  I have Macro Rec assigned to F11, and Macro Play assigned to F12.  To record it's F11, my text, F11.  To play it back it's F12. 

The new version only loads the default layer on most of the board configs.  It's now up to the config file to specify the default layouts and most only specify one.  It's not a big deal.  Just use the Copy/Paste tool to copy the default layer to your Function layer and start from there.

Offline PomstaZLesa

« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:36:08 »

What board are you using?  I just tested RAM macros on my Epsilon, and it seems to work.  I have Macro Rec assigned to F11, and Macro Play assigned to F12.  To record it's F11, my text, F11.  To play it back it's F12. 

The new version only loads the default layer on most of the board configs.  It's now up to the config file to specify the default layouts and most only specify one.  It's not a big deal.  Just use the Copy/Paste tool to copy the default layer to your Function layer and start from there.

well of course i had to leave out such important detail, silly me. im using ghost squid cmqfxt. way i use it is that i rebinded scroll lock to fn layer and while in this layer, insert acts as macro record and when on default layer, it acts as macro play. worked just fine on older version[2015-something non-beta, it was in this topic before you updated it few days ago]

great, good to know. that sounds doable :) just wasnt aware of it.

Offline TheGlow

« Reply #1472 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 07:33:56 »
I have debounce on 6 and matrix wait on 20. I think its working about the same as previously. I get some on occasion, and it seems to be h's, spacebar mostly, sometimes i. I had one case of U.

When creating the layout I ichoose ansi 87. Should I try something else? and looks like an I again just now.

Edit: 1st email of the day and I had 3 of them, so not sure what the deal is.
painful weirid for me.   weird
I barely goto wins.   got
charges hehr next    her.   Im wondering if its combinations of keys that trigger the duplicate before it.
Also not sure if it matters when I flash the tmk firm it says its using 0x3A80 bytes of 0x7000, 52.23%.
Yours states x6780 bytes, 92.41%.

Hey Metalliqaz, any other suggestions? I switched back to TMK last week as the doubles were starting to slow me down on some work.
I get 2-3 a day on TMK maybe, and seems mostly spaces. I can see them and if spellcheck is available in that app then itll inform me as well.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1473 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 08:37:58 »
Hey Metalliqaz, any other suggestions? I switched back to TMK last week as the doubles were starting to slow me down on some work.
I get 2-3 a day on TMK maybe, and seems mostly spaces. I can see them and if spellcheck is available in that app then itll inform me as well.

Hmmm, sounds like you're saying the issue also pops up on TMK.  If that's the case, and since brentnycum reported that his Frosty Flake was working, I'm starting to think it could be your hardware :(

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1474 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 08:39:14 »
I can run it on W7 with the run.bat, but it's missing the stuff in the boards directory. I assume I need to get atmel studio and compile?

Sorry, I didn't see your edit.  you don't have to compile it, it should come with everything it needs.  I haven't done a lot of testing on the new packages yet, I'll check it out.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1475 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 08:40:25 »
well of course i had to leave out such important detail, silly me. im using ghost squid cmqfxt. way i use it is that i rebinded scroll lock to fn layer and while in this layer, insert acts as macro record and when on default layer, it acts as macro play. worked just fine on older version[2015-something non-beta, it was in this topic before you updated it few days ago]

I'll have to try it out on my Black Petal.  I assume you've got your Fn key in toggle mode, right?

Offline PomstaZLesa

« Reply #1476 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 09:17:32 »

I'll have to try it out on my Black Petal.  I assume you've got your Fn key in toggle mode, right?
kinda. its lockable :) neither holding it nor double tap[toggle] works with macro record. it doesn't seems like it even starts recording, no led flashing
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 11:39:34 by PomstaZLesa »

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #1477 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 10:03:41 »

I added support.  Go ahead and give it a shot.

OMG You're amazing \  :eek: /. I'll test it later tonight/tom!

Offline dougp

« Reply #1478 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 20:07:03 »
What am I missing?  Trying to compile a firmware and I get this error:

Error: 'module' object has no attribute 'teensy'

Both with the exe and py versions.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1479 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:01:09 »

One of your custom user boards in ~/.EasyAVR isn't a valid configuration file

Offline dougp

« Reply #1480 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:03:58 »

I'm on Windows, don't see that folder.  I also have a Planck I'm trying to build for.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1481 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:17:08 »

I'm on Windows, don't see that folder.  I also have a Planck I'm trying to build for.

Well that's the error you get when one of the board config files is missing a required parameter.  In this case, it's the "teensy" setting.

Offline dougp

« Reply #1482 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:20:46 »

Well that's the error you get when one of the board config files is missing a required parameter.  In this case, it's the "teensy" setting.

Yeah, I dug around a little more and found that.  Looks like the planck board file is bad on the source - can I commit the update with the teensy setting fixed?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1483 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:22:58 »
wow, you're right.  My bad.  I'll fix it in a quick second.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1484 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:26:46 »

Okay I committed it.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Planck is untested.  If you get it working let me know or update the wiki. 

Offline dougp

« Reply #1485 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:41:34 »

Okay I committed it.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Planck is untested.  If you get it working let me know or update the wiki.

Yeah that board layout is borked - I'll have to mess around with it when I have time.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #1486 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 11:05:41 »
Is there a way to hack into the KBParadise V60 to make it fully programmable?

I found this:
https://github.com/pellettiero/V60Mini-firmhack

I'm just not sure what I can do with it, or how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1487 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 21:46:58 »

kinda. its lockable :) neither holding it nor double tap[toggle] works with macro record. it doesn't seems like it even starts recording, no led flashing

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I just programmed that exact configuration into my Black Petal (very similar to yours) and tried it.  It works for me.  Note that you won't see any flashing LEDs unless you program one to "recording" in the advanced LED settings.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1488 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 21:47:25 »
Is there a way to hack into the KBParadise V60 to make it fully programmable?

I found this:
https://github.com/pellettiero/V60Mini-firmhack

I'm just not sure what I can do with it, or how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

I don't think so.

Offline PomstaZLesa

« Reply #1489 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 03:11:00 »

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I just programmed that exact configuration into my Black Petal (very similar to yours) and tried it.  It works for me.  Note that you won't see any flashing LEDs unless you program one to "recording" in the advanced LED settings.
This is weird. I tried it again but I had to create the layout and firmware again[as I have overwritten the previous] and now it works for me as well. Looks like it might have been pebkac problem. At least it works now :) and got LEDs sorted out too. Thanks

Offline Dr Xav

« Reply #1490 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:59:44 »
Hi all, I am sure my question have been covered, but I just could find it. So appologies in advance if I did miss it.

I am running a KMAC, just install this firmware (work great) but i was wondering is there is  any ways to get a SLEEP command. I would like to have Fn+ Pause to set my computer to sleep (win)

Thanks all, and apologies if it is a repeat

Cheers!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1491 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 20:22:04 »
Hi all, I am sure my question have been covered, but I just could find it. So appologies in advance if I did miss it.

I am running a KMAC, just install this firmware (work great) but i was wondering is there is  any ways to get a SLEEP command. I would like to have Fn+ Pause to set my computer to sleep (win)

Thanks all, and apologies if it is a repeat

Cheers!

Easy AVR firmware presents three USB endpoints to the computer.  An HID keyboard, an HID mouse, and a media interface for the HID Consumer page (play, pause, volume, etc).  Windows only understands the power commands on the HID Generic Desktop Controls page, which isn't currently implemented.

Getting it done is left as an exercise for the reader.

Offline Dr Xav

« Reply #1492 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 02:48:08 »
Easy AVR firmware presents three USB endpoints to the computer.  An HID keyboard, an HID mouse, and a media interface for the HID Consumer page (play, pause, volume, etc).  Windows only understands the power commands on the HID Generic Desktop Controls page, which isn't currently implemented.

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

Any examples of people doing that?

Offline techmattr

« Reply #1493 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 10:42:52 »
Is it possible to add support for FaceW boards?

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #1494 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 10:50:15 »
Can't you just use the WKL Bootmapper for that?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1495 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:21:34 »

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

Any examples of people doing that?

The source has only been available for a couple of weeks and from what I've seen no-one has attempted to do anything with it.

Another option would be to find find a combination of keys to do it - if you press the windows key the start menu pops up, then count how many arrow presses you need to to find the sleep button, then an enter to press it.  Or perhaps it's easier after pressing ctrl alt del?  I'm not in Windows and don't know which version you have to look it up, but if you can find a key sequence the macro is easy enough :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1496 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:24:25 »

The answer to "Is it possible to add support for <board>" is usually the same as the answer to "Does <board> run on an ATmega32U4 or similar AVR."

If you want me to program support, you should provide me with the information I need.  I don't have time to research these things.  If you find matrix details, or have some TMK source code that's already working, then send it to me and I'll try to do it.

Or, you could get the source try and add support yourself.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #1497 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 09:54:29 »
Wow, just seen that you open-sourced EasyAVR, awesome, thank you metalliqaz!

I'll give a try on Orion v2, which is supposedly using the same controller than the v1.

I'm particularly interested in making all the LEDs controllable. I have zero experience in firmware development, but I know C and C++ (even if I didn't write any C in the last five years); do you think this is something I could manage to hack? I just don't want to burn the PCB...  ;D
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1498 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:08:30 »
Wow, just seen that you open-sourced EasyAVR, awesome, thank you metalliqaz!

I'll give a try on Orion v2, which is supposedly using the same controller than the v1.

I'm particularly interested in making all the LEDs controllable. I have zero experience in firmware development, but I know C and C++ (even if I didn't write any C in the last five years); do you think this is something I could manage to hack? I just don't want to burn the PCB...  ;D

Not only can you hack it, but you don't even need to modify the firmware to do so.  You just need to find the right configuration.  Easy!

Offline typewriter

« Reply #1499 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:38:06 »
Does Easy AVR use/import/include any special (non-standard Python) libraries whose source code I cannot see?

I really want to be able to understand every bit of your software, so I really want to see every source code line so I can understand how your software works, as I'm trying to use this to learn more about python.

New to Python so I'm not even sure if python #includes files.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:40:14 by typewriter »