Author Topic: [IC] DANGER ZONE - A Key Set for Aviators and Their Wingmen  (Read 99839 times)

Offline OracleKev

Re: [IC] DANGER ZONE - A Key Set for Aviators and Their Wingmen
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 08:33:57 »
Bumping this to let people know that we will probably get a Round 2 this year, most likely around Q4.  I'll post more details as they come available.

Updated OP...

Q4, so probably ships like 2020Q1?

Yeah, something like that. :D

Very excited about this.  Why not earlier and 112343?  Pretty please?

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 09:42:02 »
If it were done in DSA, the turnaround may be faster...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:13:58 »

If it were done in DSA, it would be DSA...

Offline Valaris

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:28:38 »

If it were done in DSA, it would be DSA...

Preach it! I don't mind waiting for SA. Though I am getting more and more eager for SA Oblivion to come in. It was easier before January because my brain just qualified it as "Next Year" but now its like "come on! 4 more months!"

Offline Data

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:51:56 »

This is true.  But to be honest I don't envision Danger Zone as a DSA set.  Maybe a future spinoff.  DSA does tend to jive with the set's "flat profile" roots so it does make some sense to try it.  A true Round 2 would have to be SA, though.

I'm still toying with the idea of flat vs sculpted profile.  I'll be running a Massdrop poll here in the next month or so to see what the community prefers.  If there's overwhelming interest in doing a Danger Zone SA sculpt then that's probably the direction we'll take.  So stay tuned for that...

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 12:57:34 »

This is true.  But to be honest I don't envision Danger Zone as a DSA set.  Maybe a future spinoff.  DSA does tend to jive with the set's "flat profile" roots so it does make some sense to try it.  A true Round 2 would have to be SA, though.

I'm still toying with the idea of flat vs sculpted profile.  I'll be running a Massdrop poll here in the next month or so to see what the community prefers.  If there's overwhelming interest in doing a Danger Zone SA sculpt then that's probably the direction we'll take.  So stay tuned for that...

A pull will help. But there are so many sculpted SA keysets already, it doesn't make that much difference to add one more. Personally I prefer to the original all R3 profile, since it's rare and classical as R1.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:01:44 »
My current daily driver:

Ducky Shine 3 Green MX inside a Shine 4 Case
(took the pic in a hurry, sorry so blurry)

Offline harlw

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:38:21 »
I do miss this look for sure.

And for old time's sake
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Valaris

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 15:46:47 »

Speaking purely for my own selfish reasons I'd much rather see the exact same set. I've been trying for well over a year to get my hands on the Novelties to go with my base set and I feel this might be my only way to do so.

Offline Data

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 17:10:08 »
Most (but not all) of the novelties would have to remain R3.  It's the only sane way to do a kit like Wingman.  So that may be a significant factor in any decision on profiles moving forward.

We'll see.  Got months to figure it out.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:42:35 »
Sharing my latest layout on the Vortex Vibe (Clear MX):

I do love this set!

Offline Valaris

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 18:56:40 »
Most (but not all) of the novelties would have to remain R3.  It's the only sane way to do a kit like Wingman.  So that may be a significant factor in any decision on profiles moving forward.

After so much time, I finally found a set of novelties so I'm good. I no longer require R2 to be 3-3-3-3-3!

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 22:49:39 »
I'll down for a Maverick Pack if doing SA R2.. As I need it RIGHT NOW!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 07:54:40 »

I might have one for sale next week, I'll let you know.

Offline zzyjayfree

[IC] DANGER ZONE - A Key Set for Aviators and Their Wingmen
« Reply #314 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 07:55:46 »

I might have one for sale next week, I'll let you know.

I can’t thank you enough for this man. Definitely let me know please! I’ll be down for other kits as well :)

A wild Pikachu has appeared!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 February 2018, 07:59:38 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 07:58:30 »

If you are planning to make novelty not r3 it will probably be a good idea to make a modifier row? Otherwise the new novelty caps are pretty much useless to R1 participants.

Offline Data

« Reply #316 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 08:06:18 »

If you are planning to make novelty not r3 it will probably be a good idea to make a modifier row? Otherwise the new novelty caps are pretty much useless to R1 participants.

No that's kinda the opposite of what I said.  The novelties would need to stay R3 because most of them are meant to be used anywhere on the board.  A few, like in the Wingman Pack, have a specific key that they replace and they don't physically fit anywhere else, so they could correspond to a new row height in a sculpted layout.  But I don't yet know if that makes sense for the set as a whole.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 17:10:25 »

No that's kinda the opposite of what I said.  The novelties would need to stay R3 because most of them are meant to be used anywhere on the board.  A few, like in the Wingman Pack, have a specific key that they replace and they don't physically fit anywhere else, so they could correspond to a new row height in a sculpted layout.  But I don't yet know if that makes sense for the set as a whole.

Ah sorry, I was half awake eating my breakfast when I replied. Looking forward to this R2!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #318 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 17:18:42 »

Hmm, SA Godspeed novelties are very similar to the ones of this set, and it worked rather well there. It's only a shame to not be able to move 1u novelties around but the rest has to go in a certain location most of the time anyways?

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #319 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 19:55:49 »

Show Image

I do love this set!

That EMP cap is excellent, where on earth did you find it?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 21:48:47 »

Show Image

I do love this set!

That EMP cap is excellent, where on earth did you find it?

Thanks, designed it myself with some help from Matt3o way back when. The DCS version is available from Keypop. But I am currently selling many others just like it myself in SA Row 1, SA Row 3, and DSA.

Offline arhetue

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 09:42:41 »
Ahhhh, my all time favorite set. Looking forward to being able to get the kits I have been hunting forever!

Offline richfiles

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 20:12:16 »
My current daily driver:
Show Image

Since we're all sharin'...

I'm kinda shamed to admit this... I've been so busy at my two jobs, busy with my Kerbal Space Program Instrument/Control panel project, wasting time on video games (Zelda, Mario, and Skyrim), that I STILL don't have a working firmware for it, and I STILL don't even have the number pad wired up, much less anything even remotely figured out for dealing with connectivity between the number pad and the main keyboard.

I keep telling myself to jump back into the main keyboard's firmware and finish it, even a temporary main keyboard only firmware... But I keep getting hammered at work. I work two jobs, and one is part time... Except they have me riding the edge of full time hours, and they continually pass it off as no big deal if I bring it up... Understand, this is a job that has continuously had 3-4 employees working my area... And they cut us down to TWO people last year! It's a three station job... That is, to keep a steady work flow, you need to man three areas. With only two people, workflow is stuttered at best, and a drag at worst. We are told other people can help out, which is why they don't need to bring in anyone new, but that's a load of garbage... Everyone is busy in the morning, when we need the help. Instead, people never bother to ask, or if they do, it's at the end of the day when we're already nearly done. The only reason I have not walked out yet, is it's absolutely the most secure job I've ever had. Federally required food testing just doesn't get downturns, period! The hours are quite flexible too, since my department isn't generally critically time sensitive, and it reflects in the options to come in earlier or later... I can't overlook that, though. Ugh... It's frustrating. They got me working so much there, it actually is interfering with my availability to put in hours at my other job (it's intermittent work, based purely on customer orders, but pays VERY well, and it's for a friend and old co-worker from my previous job). I can't rely on the second job as a reliable income, but when I DO get work there, it's lucrative! I can work two or three days, and have a week or two's pay, compared to my main job. While part time doesn't sound all that great, I live in a reasonably affordable area, and I value my time, and I live cheaply. I was happy with the extra time... I don't have that anymore. /:

Doesn't help that when you're beat after a long day of really crappy work, the Switch is oh so easy to pick up and play... Wracking my brain over code I don't really get, or Stupid Sexy Zelda, or Stupid Sexy Khajiit (with wares for those with coin)... It's a touch choice... LOL

I suspect it would take me VERY little to finish a basic firmware to at least get the main keyboard up and running, but that's not even considering the number pad though. It's still not even done, and the last time I worked on it was March... LAST year.

This is a truly epic key cap set. One of the best I've ever seen!

I'll also say one more thing... Those two Master Arm keys will forever be proof of all of us who bought into the first run of this! LOL :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 February 2018, 22:18:24 by richfiles »
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline Data

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 06:20:30 »

Offline richfiles

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:04:21 »
Bruh

I knooooow! I'm embarrassed by this! I'm actually thinking of retooling my LED lighting plan, to ease coding. Thing is, I'm not really sure that it makes things easier or not, seeing as how I don't actually understand the coding aspect enough to really implement it. I also don't know if it really applies to any existing firmwares... Maybe ones that expect some sort of "smart LED".

I realized that if I stick with PWM brightness controls, that's easy on my main keyboard, but actually rather difficult on my numberpad. I'd have to command active PWM over the I2C bus. That sounds for a recipe for lagging the software, and just... Ugh... Not good. I don't even know how to get the hot swap working yet! Ugh! I have a bunch of Digital to Analog converter chips that run on I2C. I'm now thinking that I could just grab two, tack them onto the I2C bus, one inside the main keyboard, and one in the number pad. I just write a value to the DACs over I2C, and I can just set 'em and forget 'em. Way simpler than managing active PWM, and also, eliminates any flicker. My question then... Will any firmwares actually let me DO that...

Second issue is the hot swap itself. I have to imagine that any code to communicate with I2C needs a timeout function, as a precaution (incase noise int he electrical connection causes a hiccup in communication). I don't want lack of a response over the I2C bus to hang the firmware. Generally, I'm just looking at reading the digital state of a sense wire. If it detects one logic state, it would enable I2C communication and scan the number pad portion of the matrix, and if it detects the other state, It would skip the I2C communication with the numberpad's port expander chip (and LED DAC), and would instead just dump null values into the matrix scan corresponding to the number pad keys.

I think...

I mean, I GET what needs to happen... I just don't know C even remotely well enough to even begin to start figuring out how. Too many distractions, mostly work, sometimes other projects, or lazy-itis and vidya games when i'm beat, from work) have all killed any attempts to actually learn C...

On a positive note, I DID learn KiCAD (through work, of all things), and now know how to design proper PCBs. I really should do a PCB for my layout someday. That, I actually know how to do now! I even got paid to learn how to use the software!

But yeah... I hear your "Bruh", I hear ya... ;_;
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:16:01 by richfiles »
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #326 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:11:26 »
My current daily driver:
Show Image

I'll also say one more thing... Those two Master Arm keys will forever be proof of all of us who bought into the first run of this! LOL :P

^ :highfive: to this! Forever since SP has been less than helpful regarding getting replacements XD

Offline theKM

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 16:40:48 »
am in need of these keys... any consistent height like all R3, DSA, etc...

Offline Rdoxey

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:07:49 »
Yeah I am struggling to cause I need some replacement keys as well. Wish SP made extra or plans to do what they are currently doing with the SA "Amazing Chocolatier" Keyset on there side site pimpmykeyboard. It would help us greatly.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 17:20:23 »
I hope the new run will be sculpted and maybe start a new IC page?

Offline Data

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 19:16:00 »
Working on a poll to decide between flat and sculpted. Should be ready in a week or two.

Offline Data

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:09:53 »
OK, maybe not quite a week.   :cool:  Oblotzky shotgunned these renders out for me much faster than I anticipated.

Here are the options.

FLAT - same as Round 1

SCULPTED - 112343

If you're having trouble telling the difference you're not alone. :D  It's very subtle.  Your fingers will know. 

Here's the complete Imgur album in case the embedded renders stop working:  https://imgur.com/a/co1oI

Now, on to the poll...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKpjp_NrZZijBdUSvdocqffqD4MQL8UAVB23oCaPnmS6kSwg/viewform

I'm letting this run for a while, maybe up to a month before I shut it down.  Please only vote once.  I'm always watching...   :-X

Offline keebwarrior

« Reply #332 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 22:29:18 »
Please split the kit up and offer alphas by themselves :)

Offline Haaaaaandrew

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 15:55:53 »
This was the set that lured me into this hobby so I'll instabuy! Definitely prefer sculpted but I'd buy uniform R3 if that's the way it shakes out  :thumb:

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #334 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 13:53:07 »
Sculpted lets go!

Offline Valaris

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:10:11 »
I'm glad I finished my set with R1 keys, most of the appeal of the set was the novelties and how I could put any of them anywhere I wanted without worrying about sculpt.

Offline TastyNico

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:16:02 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2023, 23:42:58 by TastyNico »

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:44:26 »
Yes yes yes. This was one of the sets that got me into the hobby. 110% in for this. I'd prefer flat profile just cause it gives me more flexibility with different boards and layouts. I'll buy regardless though.

Massdrop or naa?
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 10:01:47 »
Danger Zone was my first keyset when I got into mechanical keyboards. Definitely down for R2. Don’t forget to show love for the Minivan in the 40s kit. There seems to be a concerted effort to purposely leave out support for it in recent keysets. Of course, every time I mention it, a mod steps in and calls “threadcrapping”. Go figure.

Offline Data

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 11:22:28 »
I have no problem supporting the MiniVan in a 40s kit if there's sufficient interest.  40s kits can have trouble reaching MOQ sometimes so whatever helps alleviate the pressure.  You'll have to tell me what keys are unique to the MiniVan and their sizes.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 13:35:07 »
Do we have a set date for the drop yet? Will it be running through Massdrop again this time?

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 16:24:58 »
I have no problem supporting the MiniVan in a 40s kit if there's sufficient interest.  40s kits can have trouble reaching MOQ sometimes so whatever helps alleviate the pressure.  You'll have to tell me what keys are unique to the MiniVan and their sizes.

That’s great to hear!! I’ll have to get back to you on exactly which keys. Recent 40s kits that included compatibility that come to mind are SA Carbon and XDA Canvas. Of course they included compatibility for other great 40% boards as well.

Offline Haaaaaandrew

« Reply #342 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 04:58:21 »
Now, on to the poll...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKpjp_NrZZijBdUSvdocqffqD4MQL8UAVB23oCaPnmS6kSwg/viewform

I'm letting this run for a while, maybe up to a month before I shut it down.  Please only vote once.  I'm always watching...   :-X

It's been a while since I have checked this thread and noticed the poll is closed. Any word on the results?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #343 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 15:52:19 »
I hope this project has not been abandoned. Been hoping to get a set in sculpted profile.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #344 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 19:25:26 »
I know I have sworn to never do full sets, but I'm so tempted to do something very similar to this colorway in DSA...

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 23:02:24 »
I know I have sworn to never do full sets, but I'm so tempted to do something very similar to this colorway in DSA...

:thumb:

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 13:42:06 »
I really do hope this set get's made as sculpted SA at some point.  Especially since I was not around for the first run.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Data

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 06:22:07 »
I really do hope this set get's made as sculpted SA at some point.  Especially since I was not around for the first run.

Well then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  :cool:

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 07:09:01 »

Hey we don't do teaser like that here. We need dates and solid plan 😎😎. I want to jump on this so bad haha. Can't wait no more.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 09:10:08 »

Don't tease me.  I'm ready to drop some significant dough to have this set in a sculpted profile.   :thumb:
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"