Author Topic: Greetings from Japan!  (Read 203 times)

Offline shingi

• I am a human. My profile picture is my normal cat.
Greetings from Japan!
« on: Sat, 18 May 2024, 07:47:24 »
Salutations, fellow humans!
I am definitely not an extra-terrestrial being looking for insight into humanity's hobbies. Rather, I am a keyboard 'nerd' that finds enjoyment in the sensory responses triggered by different types and variants of mechanical key switches, and other items of the sort.
My main purpose is to purchase new 'keebs', as the cool kids say, to find my true end game 'board. I'll try to be active, however, my very busy schedule of working a Human job at a Human company for Human purposes might become an obstacle for this objective.
My current daily driver is certainly nothing impressive: I possess a Redragon K552 with lubed Akko CS Matcha Latte switches along with other miscellaneous mods.
Although it is not as high-end as most of the 'boards utilized by other fellow humans, I find it satisfactory.
My wish for the near future is to purchase a keyboard with an ISO layout and a southpaw numpad. I have been observing the Keychron Q12 very closely, but I would very much appreciate it if you have any recommendations.
Thank you!

- S.

Zeep Zorp.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Greetings from Japan!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 May 2024, 19:26:26 »
Welcome to geekhack fellow human  :D

Sadly there aren't that many southpaw fullsizes or close to fullsize atm, and the one I know of the kangaroo doesn't support iso. The keychron q12 does have an iso barebones kit so that might have to be your best option atm, of course there are a lot of new projects happening so surely one will have southpaw with iso eventually.

Offline shingi

• I am a human. My profile picture is my normal cat.
Re: Greetings from Japan!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2024, 05:49:32 »
Welcome to geekhack fellow human  :D

Sadly there aren't that many southpaw fullsizes or close to fullsize atm, and the one I know of the kangaroo doesn't support iso. The keychron q12 does have an iso barebones kit so that might have to be your best option atm, of course there are a lot of new projects happening so surely one will have southpaw with iso eventually.

Hello!
Yes, that is unfortunately true. I did observe the Southpaw75 DIY kit, which comes with an ISO layout as an option, but I currently do not possess the dexterity needed to properly solder all components onto the PCB. Additionally, I do not own a soldering iron either...
I believe I will stick to the Q12 ISO for now, and once I slowly build my soldering confidence, start my foray into custom boards such as the previously mentioned one. I might even try hand-wiring down the line!... In several years, that is. Hand-wiring as a building method scares me.
I am, however, very excited to see what projects I can complete in the future.
Thank you for the response!