Author Topic: [IC] Nooir - N1 | A Suspension Mounted Keyboard!  (Read 15581 times)

Offline ClickClack.io

• Find us on clickclack.io
    • clickclack.io
[IC] Nooir - N1 | A Suspension Mounted Keyboard!
« on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 09:04:26 »

IC Form

Noland N1
by Nooir
Post edited by Click Clack

Index

- Inspiration
- Design Concept
- Lucas Suspension System
- Typing Feel
- Colorway Editions
- Specifications
- Extra Components
- Pricing and Vendors

Inspiration

All of this originates from a dream vaguely remembered. Within the tranquil expanse of the cosmic space exists a solitary little island drifting. No matter the efforts and struggles, one cannot get close to it; it peacefully floats there. Only on the island stands alone square monument...

It is like an island that appears visible yet has never truly existed.

We named this series "Noland N1."

Design Concept

Front:

Back:

Lucas Suspension System

This completely new structural form consists of six sets of suspensions and two sets of magnets. When viewed from the top, its structural characteristics closely resemble a spider, much like the animated character 'Lucas the Spider' created by illustrator Joshua Slice. Hence, it is named the "Lucas Suspension System."

The structure responsible for providing soft bounce is separated from the inner structure and placed on the outer side. Magnetic suspension is used as the primary method of elastic feedback. Using a total of 6 elastic arms, 3 on each side, set at different angles, stabilizes the magnetic field's effective range, meeting the structural requirements for bowl-shaped potential energy and enabling it to maintain a stable suspended state.

The inner structure is designed separately, utilizing 4 large permanent magnets for upward thrust. Nooir's objective is not to create a magnetic suspension gasket but to achieve a visual effect of the entire keyboard being suspended.

The primary purpose of this approach is to avoid any potential tactile sound and hardware issues that could arise from having the mechanical structure and inner structure in the same cavity.

The consistency in sound and tactile feel will operate as independent systems without interference while also delivering a captivating suspended visual experience.

The external three-angle elastic arms are designed to minimize instability in the X and Y-axis directions as much as possible. The inner springs provide the lateral compression force of these elastic arms.

Nooir has implemented a visual design of the structure, allowing for a clear view of the movement of the structural components on both sides. They chose not to use acrylic or polycarbonate, which can turn yellow and scratch over time, as transparent materials for visual effects. Instead, we opted for ultra-clear tempered glass with optical properties. This choice ensures sufficient transparency while maintaining excellent durability, strength, and longevity. Extensive testing has confirmed that it meets the design requirements for strength and resilience.

The "Lucas Suspension System" structure consists of 6 sets of suspensions and 2 sets of magnets. During the keypress process, the suspension structures on both sides of the keyboard compress towards the center through elastic arms and bearings, providing stable linear support. As the keypress approaches bottom-out, the repulsion of the magnets becomes more pronounced, and the supporting force opposing the keypress gradually and smoothly increases. This prevents sudden bottoming-out impact during the depression and eliminates the sound of bottoming out.

Typing Feel

Typing on Noland N1 feels like typing on a suspended platform. Even forceful keypresses do not generate a strong impact. On this soft suspended platform, the sound remains clear without being muffled.

Once the switches are installed on the kit, the sound profile tends to be more on the loud side, even though the keypress feel is very soft. The metal enclosure that determines the sound is elevated in the air by the Lucas Suspension System structure. In contrast, the Lucas Suspension System structure below the enclosure absorbs the impact force from typing. The keyboard has unique acoustic components to make the sound crisper and louder.

Colorway Editions

Space:

The bottom case surface features a black electrophoretic coating with a sprayed finish, ensuring a smooth touch. The top cover utilizes a reliable and durable anodization process, bringing out the simplicity and efficiency reminiscent of space equipment.

The inner structure top case features a space-themed design with Anodized Gray.

The bottom case has a deep-space design with electrophoretic Black and coating Starry.

The bottom badge showcases a space-themed design and is made of stainless steel with a PVD finish.

Winter:

The metal top case is coated with a refined white electrophoretic surface, ensuring a smooth touch where the hand makes contact. Compared to the Space edition, this design presents a higher level of complexity in surface treatment and includes more stylistic details.

The inner structure of the top case features a Winter-themed design with E-White.

The bottom case incorporates a design with three surrounding curved cutouts and uses Stainless Steel with deep blue Mirror PVD.

Specifications

•   Layout: 75%(83 keys)
•   Material: Aluminum (Badge: Stainless Steel)
•   Default Plate: FR4
•   Connection: Tri-mode (Wired, Bluetooth, 2.4G)
•   Indicator Lights: Different light effects for battery status in Wired, Bluetooth, and 2.4G modes
•   Structure: Proprietary (Lucas Suspension System)
•   Driver: Supporting VIA
•   Battery: 4000mAh
•   PCB Thickness: 1.2mm
•   Typing Angle: 8°, Front height 30mm
•   Editions: Winter / Space
•   Surface Treatment: Electrophoresis/Stainless Steel PVD/Anodized/Coating
•   Weight: ~4kg

What's Included?

•   Case x1
•   Default Badge x1
•   Mixed sound board x1
•   Lucas magnetic levitation structure inner frame x1
•   Foam set x1
•   Teflon structure anti-wear pad x2
•   Custom black CD pattern screws x1
•   Magnetic levitation magnets x8
•   75% layout PCB & small board & battery x1
•   75% layout FR4 plate x1
•   Custom metal storage box x1
•   Bumpons x4

Excludes: switches, keycaps, stabilizers.

Extra Components

Keycaps and Switches

NOOIR N1 exclusive transparent keycaps "Ice Crack" - Made of ABS material with an in-mold foil process, creating a faint blue halo under light.

Nooir x Gateron "N switch"

○   Type: 5-pin Linear (factory lubed)
○   Stem: Black POM long stem (dual-rail structure)
○   Top cover: PC starry blue (dual-rail structure)
○   Base: Nylon black (dual-rail structure)
○   Total travel: 3.6mm
○   Actuation travel: 2mm
○   Actuation force: 50g
○   Spring: 20mm dual-stage spring (fast rebound)
○   Manufacturer: Gateron

Wrist Rest, Cable, and Storage Box

Wrist rest Specs:

1.   Aluminum,
2.   replaceable aluminum commemorative coin,
3.   glass top cover,
4.   an aluminum supporter with angle and height adjustment.

WINS custom USB cable with Aviation Connector:

Custom metal storage box:

Pricing and Vendors

Estimated Price:
Space Edition: $500~$600
Winter Edition: ~$1200

Join ClickClack’s Discord for latest update, discussion, questions:

Fill in Interest Check Form:

Follow ClickClack's IG for other new projects:

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2024, 21:12:13 by ClickClack.io »

Offline Daedal

• Daedal
Re: [IC] Nooir - Noland N1
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 09:16:58 »
Waiter! One of everything please! :p I love it I need it I love it :eek:

Offline ppatches24

Re: [IC] Nooir - Noland N1
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 10:27:30 »
Wild.

I love it.

Not just another plain rectangle.

Offline Yuinth

Re: [IC] Nooir - N1 | A Suspension Mounted Keyboard!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 11:26:32 »
Interesting mounting system and interesting designs, love that Nooir is trying new stuff with this and with the K1

Offline takuto

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 13:16:38 »
Can't wait to see the eye-watering price...

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 14:58:09 »
I could be in an earthquake and Aftershock and feel nothing for these dampeners... Lol

Yeah like it, it's original and a massive show piece

Offline AlexHBurdeh

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 21:44:28 »
Looks amazing, saw the post on zFrontier. The keyboard looks immaculate; if only there was a colorway without the white sprinkles like the one on the Space colorway and an option for a Poly Carbonate plate. Would be great to see some review videos of the keyboard and looking forwards to the GB date.

Offline nebulazy

• gotta go (type) fast
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 21:49:07 »
my very first comment since joining geekhack. my jaw dropped when i saw this. even my husband is excited about it (he doesn't use computers) because he loves the engineering. innovative designs in this space are why i am here!
KBD67 Lite, Vulcan Majas v2, Zoom65v2, QK100, Enter67, Cycle7, Cupid65 Hyacinthus, DR-70F, MKC75, Akko SPR75, Chil.key Paw65, NK87EE, NK65AE, NCR80, IBM Model M x2 (early 90s), IBM Selectric III x2, Canon Typestar, and an embarrassingly large hoard... GMK Analog Dreams, Digital Nightmares, Laser Synthwave, Retrowave, Vaporwave

Offline VXQN

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 05:01:23 »
Why is the special edition twice the price of the "regular" one, is it just the PVD?

Also this engraving:

Is hilarious and feels completely antithetical to the rest of the design: Downbeat hand-drawn craft aesthetics vs. Functional, sci-fi industrial

Offline Neongreen

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 21:11:17 »
Finally, an extremely interesting design that’s different from what’s released on the market. I’m in for this one!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 06:26:56 »
Why is the special edition twice the price of the "regular" one, is it just the PVD?

Also this engraving:

(Attachment Link)

Is hilarious and feels completely antithetical to the rest of the design: Downbeat hand-drawn craft aesthetics vs. Functional, sci-fi industrial
The manufacturing process is quite challenging.

Offline spingo

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 07:15:22 »
Color me impressed. This is a really really cool design. If I had six hundo (+switches and caps) to burn I'd be in.

Really really love seeing new design languages coming into this hobby. Just awesome. Bravo.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 22:37:45 »

Also this engraving:

(Attachment Link)

We have discussed with the studio, and they can remove this engraving during GB.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 19:36:45 »
Very intricate! Will be interesting to see more as real prototypes show up :O

Offline N9neBreak3r

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 10:45:29 »
Please make the PCB with per key RGB!  Having a subtle blue glow coming from each key would look AMAZING with this board and the keycaps!  Any timeframe yet for when to expect the group buy?

Offline AlexHBurdeh

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 21:55:57 »

Also this engraving:

(Attachment Link)

We have discussed with the studio, and they can remove this engraving during GB.
It would also great if the little gold badge that says "Winter is coming" on the back of the Winter edition can be either flipped around to hide the text or also have it removed, because I feel like it isn't very "universal" since Winter has already passed.

Offline NOOIR_Li

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 March 2024, 21:54:56 »

Also this engraving:

(Attachment Link)

In the IC stage, we just want to try writing a paragraph here to see what it looks like in terms of visual aesthetics,  without paying too much attention to the content of this sentence.( oh man you're actually reading this) Don't worry this sentence will not be show on the keyboard :D

Special editions have extremely high costs due to the manufacturing difficulty. The water-like part is made by a single block of metal, and it's not die-cast (Just like the Space one). Also, this one will need hand-polishing; if PVD fails, we have to recycle the material and start over again.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2024, 22:20:24 by NOOIR_Li »

Offline NOOIR_Li

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 March 2024, 22:38:41 »
Please make the PCB with per key RGB!  Having a subtle blue glow coming from each key would look AMAZING with this board and the keycaps!  Any timeframe yet for when to expect the group buy?
Our PCB will have white glowing per key. Perfect match for our switches and transparent keycaps (you're right they looks amazing) , We believe that RGB lighting creates an unstable atmosphere for the keyboard and obscures the beauty of the switches and keycaps.
Roughly, I think GB will be at the end of April. ;)

Offline NOOIR_Li

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 22:31:35 »
Thx! they're coming soon!

Offline NOOIR_Li

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:01:25 »
Wild.

I love it.

Not just another plain rectangle.

Waiter! One of everything please! :p I love it I need it I love it :eek:

I could be in an earthquake and Aftershock and feel nothing for these dampeners... Lol

Interesting mounting system and interesting designs, love that Nooir is trying new stuff with this and with the K1

my very first comment since joining geekhack. my jaw dropped when i saw this. even my husband is excited about it (he doesn't use computers) because he loves the engineering. innovative designs in this space are why i am here!

Color me impressed. This is a really really cool design. If I had six hundo (+switches and caps) to burn I'd be in.

Really really love seeing new design languages coming into this hobby. Just awesome. Bravo.

Can't wait to see the eye-watering price...

Finally, an extremely interesting design that’s different from what’s released on the market. I’m in for this one!

Thank you, all of you. It's wonderful to see that you like our design, and it makes the design work much more enjoyable ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:03:53 by NOOIR_Li »

Offline NOOIR_Li

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:35:10 »

Also this engraving:

(Attachment Link)

It would also great if the little gold badge that says "Winter is coming" on the back of the Winter edition can be either flipped around to hide the text or also have it removed, because I feel like it isn't very "universal" since Winter has already passed.

It might be a bit tricky to hide the screw, and changing the structure of the main part is quite a task in software (because of the organic look). But honestly, it's a fantastic idea; I wish we had heard this earlier.

Offline leftcoastfunk

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 04:48:27 »
Wow, can't wait for this! It looks amazing :)