Author Topic: Model AT F Tour!  (Read 30113 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Model AT F Tour!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:14:18 »
USPS says the keyboard should be delivered here tomorrow.  Can't wait!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 00:40:17 »
Just out snipped on a F AT on ebay. Thought I could get it cheap at $107 shipped, but it jumped up to $141 seconds before, I entered $142, but minimum bid increase was $1.50. I entered $144 a quick as I could, but alas, it slipped through my fingers :(. On the hunt again

I should have just bought it now at $150 :(

You scoundrels!  I was bidding on that, too.  I set the max bid that jacked up the price to cover me while I was in a movie.  Then I got out of the movie, and I lost by a couple bucks.  Darn.

I did not think I would get outbid on that thing, considering it was a little higher than recent Model F selling prices and the seller did not offer a return period.

Ha. I was about to hit the BIN on that auction when someone dropped the min bid...

Should have, the sell price was $6 less than BIN price. And it looks like it was in quite good condition.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 06:04:50 »
USPS says the keyboard should be delivered here tomorrow.  Can't wait!

Aww yeah
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 23:47:23 »
I'd like to get in on trying this fine piece of machinery.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 23:53:47 »
I'd like to get in on trying this fine piece of machinery.

Added you.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:17:54 »
Forgot to post that I received the keyboard on Friday!  I love it as much as I knew I would, modulo the layout quirks and ridiculously heavy spacebar.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:24:57 »
I came in here to harass people about the lack of reviews (I'm looking at you mashby and hashbaz!) when I realized I never actually linked the one I wrote here. So the review I wrote for this tour can be found here.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 00:54:34 »
I came in here to harass people about the lack of reviews (I'm looking at you mashby and hashbaz!) when I realized I never actually linked the one I wrote here. So the review I wrote for this tour can be found here.

Dude, memory loss much? :P
You must be gettin old...

The keyboard was so F AT. My thoughts can be found here. To mashby and everyone else, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to ship it out. I wanted to write a review and I've been swamped at work. It will be sent out tomorrow ^__^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 08:08:37 »
Er. Brb, going to fuse the cone of shame to my head permanently. I'm ridiculous....

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 11:04:14 »
Says the AT F is out for delivery!

I need to make some room on my desk :)

Offline GLaDOS

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 11:23:37 »
I know I can't have it, but I'd just like to say that is a very nice looking board. Always wanted to try bucking springs, and I love that "flat-and-raised" keycap design, but model (F/M) are hard to find ver ehre, especially inthe UK layout.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:37:15 »
Just got it in the mail and hooked it up about 10 minutes ago. I've never tried a buckling spring before and so far I'm hooked. Can't wait to use it over the next week.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:39:01 by hellocodes »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:29:03 »
Sorry I held on to it a bit longer, didn't even realize it. I really enjoyed using it and plan on getting a buckling spring in the very near future.

I'll publish a review on my blog soon, and I can ship it off to the next person (OrangeJewce) as soon as tomorrow.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:38:15 »
Sorry I held on to it a bit longer, didn't even realize it. I really enjoyed using it and plan on getting a buckling spring in the very near future.

I'll publish a review on my blog soon, and I can ship it off to the next person (OrangeJewce) as soon as tomorrow.

It's cool.  I PM'ed OJ but haven't heard back yet.  So I'm skipping him for now and moving onto prdlm2009.  I'll pass along his shipping info when he PMs it to me.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 09:38:24 »
Hey Akimbo, I thought you USB modded your Model F? Or was that another one?

EDIT: Nevermind that was your Model F XT :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2013, 09:41:50 by oTurtlez »
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 15:54:04 »
Hey Akimbo, I thought you USB modded your Model F? Or was that another one?

EDIT: Nevermind that was your Model F XT :D
My f xt, f at and f 122 are all usb modded.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 18:30:41 »
The old girl arrived today, after a slight misdirection to Fort Wayne.  After a few clicks, I understand the hype.  What a dream.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 19:18:52 »
The old girl arrived today, after a slight misdirection to Fort Wayne.  After a few clicks, I understand the hype.  What a dream.

Aweeee yusss.  Don't forget to post a pic or two and your review after you've thoroughly tested her out!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 22:52:52 »
Totally interested in this. I really want to know how a buckling spring board feels, and I heard that the model F has quite a unique feel.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:25:12 »
So anyway to get the arrow keys to work on Mac OS?  I anticipated that this could be a problem.

Offline tehsprayer

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:26:38 »
sweet to try, no where near that post count though, too much lurking!

REΛLFORCE 87U - uniform 55g

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:28:44 »
So anyway to get the arrow keys to work on Mac OS?  I anticipated that this could be a problem.

Taking the board off numlock doesn't work?
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:31:34 »

You have to use KeyRemap4MacBook. There is an option "Use KeyPad as Arrow (PC Style NumLock)". Then it works.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 08:45:26 »

You have to use KeyRemap4MacBook. There is an option "Use KeyPad as Arrow (PC Style NumLock)". Then it works.

Ok, thanks problem solved.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 21:24:48 »
Low on cash at the moment, skip me for now and I may join back up.
Gotta collect them all

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 21:34:31 »

Skipped you! :P
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tgujay

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:28:39 »

Skipped you! :P

Thank you.
Gotta collect them all

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 20:34:17 »
Early report from the workshop of prdlm:  Exquisite and springy. Just a joy.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:47:34 »
The tour has now concluded....still waiting on reviews from prdlm2009 and *cough---Mashby---cough*.  :P

Thank you to all who participated!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:53:19 »
So when is the Kingsaver tour starting up?  ;-)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:53:49 »
So when is the Kingsaver tour starting up?  ;-)

Lolololol nevar!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:56:51 »
I hadn't seen one until you showed a picture. How rare are those things? It looks good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:06:29 by sleepy916 »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:07:25 »
I hadn't seen one until you showed a picture. How rare are those things? It looks good.

I think they are pretty rare.  Mine isn't the one to covet though....you should check out calavera's.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:12:58 »
The tour has now concluded....still waiting on reviews from prdlm2009 and *cough---Mashby---cough*.  :P

I'll get there!

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:48:23 »

I'll get there!

It's cool...just post it before mashby posts his...that way I can continue to ridicule mashby.  :))

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 09:07:45 »
It's cool...just post it before mashby posts his...that way I can continue to ridicule mashby.  :))

YES!

AKIMbO, you kid because you love. And I love you too.  :-*

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:54:17 »
Have you ever had a wonderful dream in which you are floating on soft, pillowly clouds, with a soft breeze cooling the sun’s rays, a down-to-Earth supermodel feeding you Nutella on a silver spoon, and unable suppress that giant smile on your face? That's what it is like to spend an evening typing away on an IBM Model AT F keyboard.

My experience with buckling springs is not extensive, but I have dabbled with a few BS boards.  I owned a Model M for awhile, have tinkered with Space Saver’s and 122-key M’s at meetups, and currently own an EnduraPro (for sale for a very reasonable price).  While I do enjoy the feel, sturdiness, and durability of buckling spring keyboards, I found that the heavy actuation force caused my hands to tire during a long typing session, which brought back those haunting memories of rubber domes (the horror!).  Even with the advantages of the Model M, I decided to leave it in my past and go full speed into ergo boards (perhaps I’ll make an exception for an SSK or an affordable M15).

The Model AT F was my first experience with a capacitive buckling spring board, and now buckling springs are on the verge of making a strong comeback in my life.  Why?  Here are a few reasons of why I have such a wonderful opinion of the Model F:

1.  The keys are pillowy soft compared to the stiffer Model M.  It seems to me they require slightly less actuation force than a Model M (all of wcass’s buckling spring boards at KeyCon confirmed this for me).
2. I don’t have any reasonable explanation for this statement, but the Model F feel a bit springier than a typical Model M.
3. The case is rock solid.  http://youtu.be/IocCC1-jeTY
4. The cord also seems quite heavy duty.
5. I dig the arrow cluster on the numpad.  Saves space.
6. Keycaps look and feel as good as new, even with all their years of wisdom.

And after writing that list, I ache to have the Model F in my clutches once again, laying together on a bed of hay in the barn loft, with only the sound of its sweet, sweet click to break the silence.  The pain, the heartache!

Not everything about the Model F is ice cream and roses, and those shortcomings makes me uneasy about a long-term commitment.  I understand this board was designed for the computing needs of the time, but these things caused me some grief, mostly layout related:

1. No delete key.  Just backspace.
2. If you are doing heavy numpad use, the lack of arrow cluster could be an issue.
3. Use with a Mac requires the KeyRemap4Macbook in order to use the arrows or get normal functionality from the keyboard.
4. A full palette of F keys would be nice.
5. Why the heck is Escape way over on the right???
6. Did the space bar really need to be that big?
7. I’m an ergo freak.  If I use the a normal flat keyboard for too long, my wrists start hurting and my ergo boards in the corner start getting grouchy and are prone to play tricks on me, like hiding my keycap puller.

The Model F and I had a wonderful time in our short time together despite the hiccups.  Perhaps we would not flourish as a couple in the long run, but I always will look back with fond memories (http://youtu.be/14ivtcelIo0?t=1m43s).  The Model F has caused me to turn my back on the famous Model M and the infamous Unicomp.  Now I lust for something I cannot obtain for a low price tag.  Sigh.

Akimbo, thanks for giving us this opportunity.  Another mystery of my keyboard journey has been resolved thanks to this tour.

As a parting note, I encourage you to NOT buy this keyboard because it would drive up the price for me.  So this keyboard sucks. Don’t buy it.  Get a Model M.  It’s a better board.  K thanks bye.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:00:25 »
Nice little review prdlm. AT F is indeed an amazing board, hopefully it'll see some more love from folks and be able to step out of the M's shadow. Letters to Unicomp for a model F!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:29:30 »
Nice little review prdlm. AT F is indeed an amazing board, hopefully it'll see some more love from folks and be able to step out of the M's shadow. Letters to Unicomp for a model F!

I think this tour has led to the recent increase of Model AT F prices on Ebay.   Superfluous reviews like mine don't help.

Darn it, I should have bashed the thing to deflect interest.  Rescinding review now! 
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:36:18 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:32:11 »
I suspect so too :'(
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:14:53 »
Thanks for the review prdlm2009! 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 12:08:02 »

Now all that's left is Mashby.  I say, tapping my foot, arms crossed, scowl on my face, looking perturbed.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 18:22:53 »

I think this tour has led to the recent increase of Model AT F prices on Ebay.   Superfluous reviews like mine don't help.

Darn it, I should have bashed the thing to deflect interest.  Rescinding review now! 

Good luck finding an AT. During the tour I was looking for one. I found two or three but none since then. I think the prices were like $150+ on 2 of them. The last one was a BIN of like $80 but it was bought before I even had a chance to buy it. Newly listed but already bought :(

There are a couple of F122s, but the prices are around $180-$200 without shipping....

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 18:34:42 »

Now all that's left is Mashby.  I say, tapping my foot, arms crossed, scowl on my face, looking perturbed.

Que Mashby's review in 3....2....just joking!  We all know Mashby isn't going to post a review. :P

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 19:48:29 »
Good luck finding an AT.

Be patient, Grasshopper.

Put in a bid at $99 every time one comes up, and you might be surprised someday.

I have waited years to find certain items on ebay, then suddenly gotten one dirt cheap.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:33:58 »

Good luck finding an AT. During the tour I was looking for one. I found two or three but none since then. I think the prices were like $150+ on 2 of them. The last one was a BIN of like $80 but it was bought before I even had a chance to buy it. Newly listed but already bought :(

There are a couple of F122s, but the prices are around $180-$200 without shipping....

I actually might prefer the F122 after playing with wcass's buckling spring boards at Keycon.  Having all those different IBM's in one place was a great opportunity.

Also, I have no desire to ANSI-fy a Model AT F, like your recent project.  Just do not want to put in the effort (have enough stuff going at the moment, don't need more projects) and I might prefer the feel of the F122 is real nice for a buckling spring, despite its massive size and weight.

I saw those F122s on Ebay.  No way the seller is going to get that price.

Offline dante

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:46:18 »
F122 is the Minimoog of [computer] keyboards

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 23:02:58 »

I actually might prefer the F122 after playing with wcass's buckling spring boards at Keycon.  Having all those different IBM's in one place was a great opportunity.

Also, I have no desire to ANSI-fy a Model AT F, like your recent project.  Just do not want to put in the effort (have enough stuff going at the moment, don't need more projects) and I might prefer the feel of the F122 is real nice for a buckling spring, despite its massive size and weight.

He's not budging on price one bit. An offer got my $5 less than BIN :(

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 01:07:20 »

He's not budging on price one bit. An offer got my $5 less than BIN :(

We've all ruined for ourselves. Good job everyone   :'(

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 06:30:29 »
We've all ruined for ourselves. Good job everyone   :'(

What do you mean?  not sure I understand.