Author Topic: Model AT F Tour!  (Read 30099 times)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Re: Model AT F Tour!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:56:58 »
I am patiently awaiting the board,  will do a close comparison of the F and the M.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline simingma

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 14:05:42 »
I dont' have enough posts, but I remember you told me before much you like capacitive buckling spring, followed by Monterey Blues and 45g Topres.

How are you getting on with 55g Topres? I just bought one its still in the post.

There's a XT version on ebay now, good condition $70. Just don't know how I can use that daily with OSX without the command key. The AT version doesn't do any better I suppose?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 14:11:01 »
Akimbo i regret asking to be moved down! haha :D

happy this is happening now

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 14:18:54 »
Is the "confirmed" list in the OP the shipping order?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 14:30:23 »
I dont' have enough posts, but I remember you told me before much you like capacitive buckling spring, followed by Monterey Blues and 45g Topres.

How are you getting on with 55g Topres? I just bought one its still in the post.

There's a XT version on ebay now, good condition $70. Just don't know how I can use that daily with OSX without the command key. The AT version doesn't do any better I suppose?

If you are using a Teensy you can "hard" remap a key to be what you need. I use F10 for "Windows", since it is in the right place anyway, more or less, with no problem.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 16:54:52 »

I love my 55g topre board...it's become my daily driver.

Is the "confirmed" list in the OP the shipping order?

Yes...but if you need to be moved up or down in the list let me know.  I'll accommodate whoever needs accommodations.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 17:58:56 »
I just got around to hooking up and typing on the Model F and for first impressions - WOW.   I love this keyboard, My only real issue so far is how heavy the space bar is, but I know there is a fix for this.   As some of you know, I am a bit of a model M nut, so my final review will contain picks and comparisons to the 1390120 (silver tag), the 1391401 (gray label), my bolt modded blue label and of course my SSK.  But just to check in, I got the KB and I love it!!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:12:27 »
What's the shipping on that beast? Guessing around $20-25?

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:18:03 »
AKIMbO shipped it to me for US$15 with tracking.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:29:26 »
What's the shipping on that beast? Guessing around $20-25?

USPS Priority flat rate with tracking is $15.60.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:19:32 »
Ok my review of the F AT:
A some of you may know I am a bit of a Buckling Spring enthusiast.  I found the actuation a lot lighter than all the M's I own.  I originaly was going to do a comparison of differences but I decided that the differences in M's are more about how the Kb's are treated rather than age, but back to the F.   I had mixed feelings about the layout.  I am a big fan of the control key next to the A key, as a linux user.  It took me a little while to aclimate to the ALT being right under the left shift but after a while it made sense.  I also approve of the F keys to the left of the main cluster.  The space bar, WOW.  That is a space bar!   It's wide, solid and has a good stabilizer action.  If you press the very end, the entire thing will dip.  They just don't put 9.5x space bars on Kb's anymore.  I did find it a liitle heavy, but I have read there is a fix for this.  I found hitting the backspace a little difficult at times, but I had no problem with the BigA$$ enter, having used some vintage ALPS boards with them. 
Now for the keyfeel.  The F had the same keycap feel as the M's minus the F and J nubs, which I missed.  If I owned an F I would take the F and J keys from and M and problem solved.  The keyfeel is lighter, yet just as tactile and satisfying.  It is wierd and hard to explain....   It's like a "plinkier" model M.   The sound is also different, it's higher pitched, and slightly quieter to my ears. 
The build quality is exelent.  As I understand it the M was made to lower production costs from the F, and It shows!  The cable looks like it could carry 120v 60Hz.  And the whole thing just feels very well put together,  some engeneer designed this thing with the hope it would still see use on a desk in 25 years.  And obviously it does.

Overall I loved it,  If I owned one I would make a few simple mods to it.  Lighten up the space bar, F and J nubs and swap in a 2x backspace. 
P.S. my writing skills are horrible thanks for bearing with me.  I have some other things to add, but I can't quite put them in writing :(

PICKS!!!

F and my SSK

F and an early M

side profiles

among it's family

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:50:59 »
Good stuff. I only have one model M to compare to my model F. But it seems like the case of the model F is more white than the model Ms right? I just want to be sure my model M isn't yellowed more than it's supposed to :P

EDIT: Actually, they're pretty close to the same shade now that I look at them again. Must depend on the lighting.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:21:36 by khaangaaroo »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:00:06 »
Awww, they family photo is so cute. I hope to have my SSK in hand by the time the Model F comes so I can do a side-by-side review. And nice writeup Tipo, you give yourself too little credit.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:39:49 »

Now for the keyfeel. 

The F had the same keycap feel as the M's minus the F and J nubs, which I missed. 

It is wierd and hard to explain....   It's like a "plinkier" model M.   The sound is also different, it's higher pitched, and slightly quieter to my ears. 

I think that there is more difference than you give credit for.

I consider the feel lighter and smoother.

Considering the internal construction, I think that it is fair to say that the F resonates with the sound of metal, where the M sounds like plastic.

Also, I floss mod all my IBMs, and I think that the end result is much nicer on the F, where the sound is attenuated just where it needs to be.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:27:33 »
USPS held the board hostage over the weekend. I just got it today. I'm getting my SSK tomorrow so I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison this week.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:13:50 »
USPS held the board hostage over the weekend. I just got it today. I'm getting my SSK tomorrow so I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison this week.

Looking forward to the reviews, of the F and the SSK.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:04:27 »

This thread needs moar pictures CPT!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:10:55 »
This thread needs moar pictures CPT!

Agreed!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 19:13:50 »
Did someone say pictures?

Mini family photo, nothing like Tibro's

Review coming this weekend :D

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 11:45:35 »
as someone who doesn't live CONUS I can't participate. But I'm reading the reviews (and salivating). I wonder why nobody ever builds such keyboards anymore. But I'm guessing they will go bankrupt, since these keyboards never die?

seriously, I look at all the prices on ebay, and there's no way I can be part of this. (not having the technical skills to make it work with Win7 is also another reason)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 12:32:46 »
(not having the technical skills to make it work with Win7 is also another reason)

That's the beauty of this keyboard. It doesn't require any real technical skill to make it work with Windows 7 - just an AT -> PS2 -> USB adapter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 12:34:58 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:36:40 »
(not having the technical skills to make it work with Win7 is also another reason)

That's the beauty of this keyboard. It doesn't require any real technical skill to make it work with Windows 7 - just an AT -> PS2 -> USB adapter.

And re-map F10 to be the "Windows" key.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:21:22 »
Dear diary,
The keyboard was F AT.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:39:47 »
The keyboard was so F AT. My thoughts can be found here. To mashby and everyone else, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to ship it out. I wanted to write a review and I've been swamped at work. It will be sent out tomorrow ^__^

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 09:02:46 »
The keyboard was so F AT. My thoughts can be found here. To mashby and everyone else, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to ship it out. I wanted to write a review and I've been swamped at work. It will be sent out tomorrow ^__^

No worries. I've been buried as well, so glad it's taken this long to ship.  ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 17:21:18 »
Ok, the package should be on it's way to mashby. AKIMbO, don't panic, the AT F hasn't been stolen or anything :D

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 17:22:36 »
Ok, the package should be on it's way to mashby. AKIMbO, don't panic, the AT F hasn't been stolen or anything :D

It's all good mang.  PM me the tracking number when you get the chance.  Thanks!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 17:28:54 »
Ha funny, my Jailhouse Blues QFR just arrived at mashby's, and you're up next CptBA. I guess this is where our two tours cross paths.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 17:37:10 »
Sounds awesome khaangaaroo :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 17:21:25 »
I've been putting the board through it's paces today and I'm still working on the review itself. However, I put together a quick video illustrating what the sound of the board is like when compared to an MX-Blue and a Jailhouse Blue. The latter is more like a short-throw Ergo Clear.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 17:35:35 »
Dat jailhouse blue....sounds so good.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:28:08 »
I would like to jump in this tour.  I think that I have 250 posts. 
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:35:20 »

I added you to the list.

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 07:47:00 »

I added you to the list.

Thank you!  And to my surprise, I have 260 something posts.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:50:01 »
Just dropped the board off at the post office. It's shipping to The_Beast via Priority Mail.

Hope to have the review and photos posted by the end of the week.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 17:23:19 »
Just dropped the board off at the post office. It's shipping to The_Beast via Priority Mail.

Hope to have the review and photos posted by the end of the week.

Thanks mashby!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 21:35:36 »
Just out snipped on a F AT on ebay. Thought I could get it cheap at $107 shipped, but it jumped up to $141 seconds before, I entered $142, but minimum bid increase was $1.50. I entered $144 a quick as I could, but alas, it slipped through my fingers :(. On the hunt again

I should have just bought it now at $150 :(
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 21:40:33 »
That's not a review The_Beast....and where's Mashby's?? :P

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 21:40:58 »
Just out snipped on a F AT on ebay.

No!

Thought I could get it cheap at $107 shipped, but it jumped up to $141 seconds before, I entered $142, but minimum bid increase was $1.50

Nooo!

I entered $144 a quick as I could, but alas, it slipped through my fingers :(.

Noooooooo!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 01:45:30 »
I was looking at that one too, better luck next time!

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:43:35 »
@sleepy: Where did you get the metal "M" from???

I also own a FAT Model (again), since last week. I love it, but I think I will floss mod it.

I just wanted to mention that the actuation point is lower than on a Model M.
A Model M has it in the middle and the F's actuation point is much closer to the bottom. I wished it was closer to the top. Nevertheless it is my favorite clicky switch, followed by the M...

Great tour BTW !!!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 09:00:17 »
Just out snipped on a F AT on ebay. Thought I could get it cheap at $107 shipped, but it jumped up to $141 seconds before, I entered $142, but minimum bid increase was $1.50. I entered $144 a quick as I could, but alas, it slipped through my fingers :(. On the hunt again

You scoundrels!  I was bidding on that, too.  I set the max bid that jacked up the price to cover me while I was in a movie.  Then I got out of the movie, and I lost by a couple bucks.  Darn.

I did not think I would get outbid on that thing, considering it was a little higher than recent Model F selling prices and the seller did not offer a return period.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 09:05:09 »
You guys are just silly. You love to waste time and frustrate yourselves.

Determine the ACTUAL highest price you will pay for an item, set a snipe at that price, and go to bed.

Anything else is like being in the lead near the end of a foot race and slowing down because you don't see anybody ahead of you.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 09:07:29 »

I'm really surprised no one bought it now for $150.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 09:43:21 »
You guys are just silly. You love to waste time and frustrate yourselves.

Determine the ACTUAL highest price you will pay for an item, set a snipe at that price, and go to bed.

Anything else is like being in the lead near the end of a foot race and slowing down because you don't see anybody ahead of you.

That's what I did.  And I lost.  And I was fine with it.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:27:45 »

You scoundrels!  I was bidding on that, too.  I set the max bid that jacked up the price to cover me while I was in a movie.  Then I got out of the movie, and I lost by a couple bucks.  Darn.

I did not think I would get outbid on that thing, considering it was a little higher than recent Model F selling prices and the seller did not offer a return period.

From what I've seen the XTs were going for the price and they have an even worst layout than the AT :(

I'm really surprised no one bought it now for $150.

I know, I should have just bought it now a few days ago, but I wanted to get it as cheap as possible since it there was a slight bit of damage on the bottom of the board

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:45:12 »
A small review, written on a mix of my SSK and this Model F

Aesthetics:

It looks like a typical IBM keyboard, but with a compact layout (for them at the time huehuehue). However, there is a lot of wasted space above that that should have easily supported a full F row instead of it being on the left.

Stock Layout:
The dumbest thing I have seen in a while. The tiny backspace, the \ key right next to it made my constantly hit the \ key when wanting to backspace.

Alt on the bottom and control are not where they should be

No delete key which I use quite a bit

Esc on the other side of the board

Number pad not having the / or + key

Heavy spacebar, I like a uniform board

I quite like that the number pad is on the right. I find this layout a bit more useful than a TKL layout because when the number function is off, it's a like a TKL layout with the arrows. The bigger enter has also grown on me

Modded layout:

With a simple script for AHK, I changed the layout to something I could use, here's what I used:

LAlt::Ctrl
Ctrl::alt
Capslock::delete
NumpadAdd::NumpadEnter
NumpadSub::NumpadAdd
NumpadMult::NumpadSub
ScrollLock::NumpadMult
NumLock::NumpadDiv
esc::NumLock
F1::esc
F2::capslock

The control is now in the spot I'm used to, alt is the the caps lock, caps lock is now a delete key, number pad is now how it's now commonly laid out. I wish AHK supported the sys req key, that would have been another backspace like what I'm used to on my UB23 (amazing numper pad layout IMO). F1 is now esc since I never use F1 and it's where the esc should be and F2 is capslock just because.

The feels
The F seems a lot lighter to type when compared to my SSK. I quite like lighter switches, so this aspect of the F grew on my quite quickly. At first I wasn't convinced of the F's typing feel, but by the second day, I really liked the feels. I'm still not sure if I like the feeling of a Model M or a Model F, but they are both an enjoyable typing experience for me

Day by day thoughts:

Day 1: used for about 10 minutes before deciding the layout was amazingly dumb and I was ready to ask AKIMbO for the next person on the list so I wouldn't be wasting my time on a hopeless layout. I was constantly hitting the \ key when going for a backspace. I was raging quit hard since I had to type a lot that day so I swapped it for my SSK to get some work done.

Day 2: Decided that it's costing me a bit of money just to test one out, so I might as well get my moneys worth (thanks for running the tour BTW) I wrote a simple AHK script and the layout became less useless

Day 3: I'm starting to get used to the 1x backspace, not loving it, but tolerating it

Day 4: It's grown on me, begin to research if I can change the 1x backspace to a 2x if I ever get one

Day 5: I start looking on ebay, found a F122 but it was a Model M :(, continue the search and find the one I raged about last night.

Day 6: Play a few games on it. Decent, but minecraft was super hard due to noting being able to crouch and move

Day 7: Lose at the Model F on ebay, should have bought it now on day 4, but I didn't since I'm cheap

Day 8: Depression that the F will soon be on it's way to another person and not staying with me, but dealing with it since I still have my SSK and the hopes that I find another Model F on ebay and not let it slip my grasps again

And here's a picture of my setup as I write the review. Excuse the WASD and arrows on the SSK, I was too lazy to change them :D

Messy, I know. But I know where everything is, and that's all that matters dammit!
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:51:42 by The_Beast »

Offline tgujay

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:20:15 »
Akimbo after you get my money for the Phantom and stuff could I be added to this list?  Thanks.
Gotta collect them all

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:44:17 »
Akimbo after you get my money for the Phantom and stuff could I be added to this list?  Thanks.

Yes....I'll add you when i get off of work.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Dimswitch

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:36:00 »

Ha. I was about to hit the BIN on that auction when someone dropped the min bid...