Author Topic: The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!  (Read 3757 times)

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:00:44 »
Currently evaluating both SoftMaker Office 2021 on my MacBook and WordPerfect Office 2020 on my... Windows on said MacBook.  :blank:
Looks like I'll buy both...

(I cannot stand WordStar, so this is as retro as it gets.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:54:03 by no, the other guy »
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 17:49:57 »
I'm not sure how this fits in, but I have used LibreOffice (previously aka Open Office) for 10-15 years now and I am very pleased with it.

The default file extension .ODT is annoying but I understand why it is necessary. Easy enough to go to "options" and keep it clean with "save as" .DOC
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:54:26 »
I use Abiword and the online version of Excel and that's it. I'm not cool like you guys with your full office suites.

I did used to use the Ashampoo office suite actually, but iirc it was like 2010 and it was like $30 for the whole thing. I probably still have the files for that, so I guess I still own it. I believe Ashampoo turned their suite into Softmarker.

Is it quite good?

• actually, this guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:43:45 »
I'm not sure how this fits in, but I have used LibreOffice (previously aka Open Office) for 10-15 years now and I am very pleased with it.

I had given various versions of StarOffice and its spin-offs a try over the years. I even bought a box in the 90s. However, the open source community lacks any kind of QA.

The first version of LibreOffice was the last one I tried. It failed to format an OpenOffice document correctly and it was annoyingly slow.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

• actually, this guy
The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:49:44 »
I believe Ashampoo turned their suite into Softmarker.

According to the website, Ashampoo Office seems to be the same thing as SoftMaker Office, except for a few visuals. I would guess that they licensed it from SoftMaker.

And yes, it is rather good: The MS Office compatibility is superb and the performance is just right. I own a license of their 2016 version (which didn’t have a macOS version yet) already, but it shows its age...
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 01:13:09 by no, the other guy »