Author Topic: [IC] Honey Switches | GB LIVE  (Read 13723 times)

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
[IC] Honey Switches | GB LIVE
« on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 14:45:30 »

Hello everyone! The Honey switch group buy is officially live HERE until February 1!!

The Honey Switches will be a smooth medium-weight linear switch reminiscent of honey. With the materials we have chosen, our top housing is a transparent amber PC which helps achieve this honey look. The stem on the other hand should remind the user of a wooden honey dipper. The main features contributing to the sound and feel will be the ultra-smooth material composition (PC, UPE, PA66), thocky long-pole stem, and medium-weight double gold springs from Tecsee. 

Type: Linear
Springs: 62g (Double, Gold Plated)
Housing Material: PC Top and Nylon Bottom
Stem: UPE (Long Pole)
Factory Lube: Standard/Light
Pin Mounting: 5-Pin (PCB Mount)
Manufacturer: Tecsee
Price: $0.55/switch
When: January 1st 2023

62g double gold spring force curve.

Samples have been made and quality looks great on this Honey switch deskmat!

Artwork by one of the best, Seo!

KBM Hundred Acres will run alongside the Honey Switches! Render by Beesley, one of the amazing designers of the project.

Here's a clip from Alexotos' Minerva build using the Honey switches. Sound test at 12:50.

Vendors:
NA: KeyBee
Worldwide: Otakeebs

Thank you all so much for the support so far on this project. For more frequent updates, feel free to join our Discord below.

KeyBee Discord
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2023, 10:49:50 by jwburrows »

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
Re: [IC] KeyBee Honey Switches | Heavy, Progressive, Linears
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 19:30:32 »
Feel like I just saw something similar, but was listed as a dollar? Is this the same thing?
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 21:15:24 »
Feel like I just saw something similar, but was listed as a dollar? Is this the same thing?

Yes, sorry for the confusion! We had originally planned on the Honey switches using an Ink v2 housing that was marked up by Gateron to an insane price which we had to basically pass on to end consumers. We reconsidered our options however, and decided to go with a different material combination that would give a better sounding and feeling switch for a cheaper price because it wouldn't have to support the pricing of the other Ink v2's on the market. Of course, we will most likely not go with Gateron all together, but they're still on the table with this new Honey switch. Hope that answers your question!

Offline NSkeptic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 22:38:26 »
These switches look great. I'd buy this if a GB turns up.

Offline acitrin

• https://acitrin.design/
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 00:44:45 »
Hey!

Just wanted to ask a few clarifying questions:

1. Why have you not yet released a manufacturer's name? Is there any ETA on when you'll do that? For many, it's a crucial piece of information. (For reference, the last switch GB that didn't release a manufacturer's name until the last minute were the Emeralds... which did not end well.)

2. I'm curious as to the usage of POM in the bottom of a switch. What potential benefits does that have? Why pair the POM bottom with a PC top?

3. You advertise this as a "Heavy, Progressive, Linear" in the title, but don't delve into either "Heavy" or "Progressive" in the specs. What type of progressive spring is this? You cite a 62g-70g spring, but many would argue that isn't a heavy spring.

I'm sorry for the nitpicks, but I wouldn't feel comfortable joining this kind of GB without the full details. Thank you! :)

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:57:23 »
Hey!

Just wanted to ask a few clarifying questions:

1. Why have you not yet released a manufacturer's name? Is there any ETA on when you'll do that? For many, it's a crucial piece of information. (For reference, the last switch GB that didn't release a manufacturer's name until the last minute were the Emeralds... which did not end well.)

2. I'm curious as to the usage of POM in the bottom of a switch. What potential benefits does that have? Why pair the POM bottom with a PC top?

3. You advertise this as a "Heavy, Progressive, Linear" in the title, but don't delve into either "Heavy" or "Progressive" in the specs. What type of progressive spring is this? You cite a 62g-70g spring, but many would argue that isn't a heavy spring.

I'm sorry for the nitpicks, but I wouldn't feel comfortable joining this kind of GB without the full details. Thank you! :)

Hi! No worries at all these are all great questions. First, we haven't decided on a manufacturer because we have a meeting with a prominent manufacturer in the coming week that would be our first pick, but that's not a guarantee due to their availability at this moment. We don't want to disclose names until after this meeting as we can then move forward based on the results and give exact details on everything. Secondly, originally we were going to go with a full PC switch to achieve the fully transparent look to the housing and really give the honey look we were going for. This being said, after talking with some experts and prominent reviewers, we decided against a PC bottom due to the increased ping. We chose POM because of the sound profile it would give the switch and the smoothness it offers. Of course, we kept the top housing PC as a way to stick with the original honey look as the top housing material is going to have a smaller impact on the switch performance than the bottom housing. On top of this, in a keyboard you only really see the top housing so the honey look will be achieved with the PC well. Lastly, we want to get feedback for the springs in our interim period while deciding on a manufacturer. I think we were originally thinking 70+, but after feedback we have come to realize that 65-70g is the sweet spot for the majority of people. We have recently looked at progressives that mimic closely to a 68.5g spring, but no decisions on the springs will be concrete until we get serious with the manufacturer. Hope that clears some things up! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 02:04:13 »

Are Emeralds the switches that were supposed to have PME housings? What happened with them, I was always curious.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 02:19:04 »

Yes, sorry for the confusion! We had originally planned on the Honey switches using an Ink v2 housing that was marked up by Gateron to an insane price which we had to basically pass on to end consumers. We reconsidered our options however, and decided to go with a different material combination that would give a better sounding and feeling switch for a cheaper price because it wouldn't have to support the pricing of the other Ink v2's on the market. Of course, we will most likely not go with Gateron all together, but they're still on the table with this new Honey switch. Hope that answers your question!

Shame about that, lubed and filmed v2 Inks are one of the smoothest switches I've ever used. Looking forward to a manufacturer who's up to the task.

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 04:16:56 »
The original idea of this being Ink housing with UHMWPE stems was so much more interesting IMHO.
Ink black housing with UHMWPE stem is one of my favorite switches, and I was pretty hyped to test some new UHMWPE stems.
Even with a higher price point, it had something different from other switch ICs.

GLWIC tho.

Offline Shoe17

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 11:01:24 »
The original idea of this being Ink housing with UHMWPE stems was so much more interesting IMHO.
Ink black housing with UHMWPE stem is one of my favorite switches, and I was pretty hyped to test some new UHMWPE stems.
Even with a higher price point, it had something different from other switch ICs.

GLWIC tho.

I would disagree with this sentiment. Having a housing that's already been done before, with stems that are already available, is something that's not really new or exciting. Granted I was also hyped to try some UHMWPE stems, but the fact they're deciding to use POM housing, progressive springs, new molds, and looking for a cheaper price all speaks like something that's interesting to me. They're trying to do something that actually hasn't been done before, they're not some ink recolor, or some stem swap, it's a whole new thing which is very exciting to me, but I can see where you're coming from.

To OP, I am very excited to see where how these switches progress, and I'll probably end up trying them as something new. GLWIC!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 19:48:58 »

GLWIC tho.

I would disagree with this sentiment. Having a housing that's already been done before, with stems that are already available, is something that's not really new or exciting. Granted I was also hyped to try some UHMWPE stems, but the fact they're deciding to use POM housing, progressive springs, new molds, and looking for a cheaper price all speaks like something that's interesting to me. They're trying to do something that actually hasn't been done before, they're not some ink recolor, or some stem swap, it's a whole new thing which is very exciting to me, but I can see where you're coming from.

To OP, I am very excited to see where how these switches progress, and I'll probably end up trying them as something new. GLWIC!

Thanks for the feedback from both of you! It is great to hear the opinions on the changes we have made so far. I appreciate the note you made in regards to being unique as this is a very important core value of the switch. The Gateron Ink v2 housings sounded like a great idea on paper, but at the end of the day there were three main problems with it.

First, they were stupid pricey solely on the fact that they were "Ink v2" housings. If they sold them to us at a fair price based on material costs, we could have easily undercut the current 75 cent Ink pricing. Gateron needs to sell them at a high markup so that we can't do this and the vendors who carry Ink v2 switches aren't undercut.

Secondly, the Ink v2 material looks great, but doesn't perform necessarily well. While talking with some experts who know way too much about switches (and much more than we do), we realized that the material used in Ink v2 switches will create a spring ping noise that would be undesirable with a friction higher than alternative materials. To put it simply, we want to create a good value for those who put their trust in us. If we can make something at half the price without the fancy "Ink v2" name, it's still a better value even if it's not as exciting.

Third and lastly, using the Gateron Ink v2 housing with UHMWPE stems and progressive springs would be cool. Again, it sound great on paper, but at the end of the day there is so much marketing in the sentence I have just written. Marketing is important in something like and IC, but truth be told there are relatively unknown brands that can get us better quality switches at a lower price. We want to create a great value for those who support this project. This doesn't mean we won't fight for the best switch materials we can and aim for a great switch of course.

A switch recolor or selling a frankenswitch (Ink + PE stem) direct to customers isn't our goal here. We want something that's unique to our brand and aligns with our values and I believe the final product will reflect this. Hope this clears things up for anyone wondering why this decision was made. Of course, feel free to reach out if either of your have any questions!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 19:53:39 »

Shame about that, lubed and filmed v2 Inks are one of the smoothest switches I've ever used. Looking forward to a manufacturer who's up to the task.

Ink v2s are nice there's no doubt about it. A $1 recolored Ink v2 didn't sit right with us though, even with the Gateron PE stems coming to market. I truly think we will be able to offer a better switch at a lower price point. Of course, we will see with time.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 21:31:46 »
Are Emeralds the switches that were supposed to have PME housings? What happened with them, I was always curious.

The proxy vendors pulled out because of some allegations about poor behaviour by the GB runner.

Offline maceofspades

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 09:42:37 »
Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere but it would be great if these were sold in packs of 10s. Not sure if that has been decided yet or if the 70,90,110 packs is something that the vendors enforce but having to buy 70 switches as an exclusively 40% user drives me away from a lot of switch options.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 09:24:23 »
Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere but it would be great if these were sold in packs of 10s. Not sure if that has been decided yet or if the 70,90,110 packs is something that the vendors enforce but having to buy 70 switches as an exclusively 40% user drives me away from a lot of switch options.

Planning on doing packs of 10! Definitely provides more flexibility for those ordering which is always great!!

Offline cosmo10292

Re: [IC] KeyBee Honey Switches
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 12:44:34 »
UPE stem/top have become my favorite type of switch so this is an easy buy for me.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 13:15:49 »
UPE stem/top have become my favorite type of switch so this is an easy buy for me.

Glad to hear it! Have you tried them on the Diamond switches by Tecsee, or something else? I would love to hear your thoughts and what you have liked about them.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 13:30:16 »
UPE is basically UHMPWE or UHMPWE blend?

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 13:37:03 »
UPE is basically UHMPWE or UHMPWE blend?

Yes, UPE is Tecsee's UHMWPE blend.

Offline Oskey

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 22:58:31 »
Ohoho perhaps one should lube this with honey

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 23:22:38 »
Ohoho perhaps one should lube this with honey

As cursed as that sounds, I think I will have to with a sample switch for the memes lol

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
Re: [IC] KeyBee Honey Switches | Coming this January!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 10:56:48 »
We're back with great news! We will be pairing these switches with KBM Hundred Acres. Coming January 1, 2023!!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
Re: [IC] Honey Switches | GB LIVE
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 10:52:27 »
The Honey switch GB is official live HERE until Feb 1, 2023. Thank you all for the support thus far on the project. Also- for those interested I have included the Minerva build from Alexotos which uses the Honey switches and sounds great!