Author Topic: GMK on Topre with MX slider is bad  (Read 5272 times)

Offline typo

GMK on Topre with MX slider is bad
« on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:19:33 »
I just put GMK's on a Topre R2 fitted with MX sliders and it made them into completely tactile switches. I mean like Buuump! This is not good. Is that a known issue?

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: GMK on Topre with MX slider is bad
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:54:37 »
Interesting. I plan to test GMK on Nopre [AKBO EC keyboard] soon. Those come with Topre-like domes with MX-stems built-in.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 00:35:04 »
I think it might just be adding the stems. Those generally mess up Topre boards.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 04:30:36 »
I've been modding Topre with MX sliders for years and think that if you do it right, it will be pleasure to use.
I did dental bands in the past, used kbdfans silent-x rings, but only when recently used deskeys #3 rings I found perfect rings for topre.

Problem with mx on topre is stem lengths of some caps - I think GMK are too short or something. Novatouch could be a good example of it - cannot remember but I think when I put GMK on Novatouch, there was some issue with mod caps...
I prefer SA od MDA on it.

My latest purchase, Realforce R2 tkl, modded with Novatouch sliders and Deskeys #3 rings, lubbed stabs - perfection! That thoooock.... mmm.... highly recommended!
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 06:16:12 »
It was already the limited edition silent but I put rings and lubed too. This is good to know about GMK. It was my first time putting on sliders after all these years. I am glad at least it was not me. I can fix just about anything but I would have to "botch" this. "botching" $700 worth of stuff is stupid IMO. I mean I am not gluing on the caps. That is a shame. You all know I dislike ABS but GMK is GMK. Plus I do not want to "junk" my $265.00 caps to get SP either. What the heck should I do here? The caps were expensive because they were a discontinued LE and the guy jacked up the price. He actually had a set for 2 grand! Local store. The idiot had a LE Ducky "Chinese" for $800 too! Well, I am bummed if I cannot fix this.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 06:21:24 »
Get a Novatouch and silence it? It's awesome silenced IMO.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:07:43 »
I just put GMK's on a Topre R2 fitted with MX sliders and it made them into completely tactile switches. I mean like Buuump! This is not good. Is that a known issue?

They were always tactile switches...can you be a bit more specific? 

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 21:18:18 »
They are like 50x more tactile now. Hard to even crush the domes.

Isn't Novatouch "lower end" Than Topre? No insult though.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 02:32:50 »
They are like 50x more tactile now. Hard to even crush the domes.

Isn't Novatouch "lower end" Than Topre? No insult though.

I don't know what you did but that's not normal...

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:37:21 »
Actually, they grew on me. I kind of like them now!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 02:03:12 »
Actually, they grew on me. I kind of like them now!

They certainly don't become more tactile with GMK..not sure what you're referring to...they feel nice and solid and given the added weight of GMK vs. many keycaps, they might feel less tactile not more...

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 19:12:06 »
I actually switched to KAT. It is the thickness i like/not used too. KAT is even thicker. I actually Really dig this!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 04:39:07 »
MDA is also thick, feel and sound great.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::