Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268565 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #900 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 04:00:34 »
Linear? Just get a ****ty rubberdome. No difference at all. Just a waste of money.

Linear are ****ing awful.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Altis

« Reply #901 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 09:21:49 »
Linear? Just get a ****ty rubberdome. No difference at all. Just a waste of money.

Topre are far closer to rubber domes (since they are rubber domes), and you could also make the same comment about MX Brown and Clear (especially ergo clear) as they have a more similar tactility to RD than linears.

Linears have little in common with rubber dome as the travel has no bump or tactility of any kind.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Want

« Reply #902 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 17:16:33 »
Chiclet switches can feel better than mechanical switches.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #903 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 21:20:39 »

GTFO.  :p

Offline condoriano

« Reply #904 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 22:45:16 »
i think 60% and 40% are stupid. I couldnt live without function keys. The programmable layers are not an advantage of 60/40%, they can be implemented on any keyboard. Instead of trying to find a way to have fewer keys so that i don't have to move my hands around, i would rather try to optimize my space by adding more keys in it and keeping the same size. For that reason i like the 75% layouts, which get rid of the wasted space between F keys and numbers and next to ESC key. oh and needless to say i hate the silly designs that completely remove the key between ctl and alt and make it an empty space with no key (taking the space for bigger ctl and alt is another story but not a fan either). That or the removed CTL key on HHKB. HOW DUMB YOU'RE WASTING THE EXTRA SPACE PUT A GOD DAMN KEY. sorry i had to let it out. yet again i am new to the world of keyboard enthusiasm so im keeping an open mind  :))

Also i think the customizability on a commercial level is very poor. It is basically what brought me to this site. I have yet to find a commercial brand that does programmable firmware keyboards, and the number of existing layouts are almost all the same thing.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #905 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:06:28 »
i think 60% and 40% are stupid. I couldnt live without function keys. The programmable layers are not an advantage of 60/40%, they can be implemented on any keyboard. Instead of trying to find a way to have fewer keys so that i don't have to move my hands around, i would rather try to optimize my space by adding more keys in it and keeping the same size. For that reason i like the 75% layouts, which get rid of the wasted space between F keys and numbers and next to ESC key. oh and needless to say i hate the silly designs that completely remove the key between ctl and alt and make it an empty space with no key (taking the space for bigger ctl and alt is another story but not a fan either). That or the removed CTL key on HHKB. HOW DUMB YOU'RE WASTING THE EXTRA SPACE PUT A GOD DAMN KEY. sorry i had to let it out. yet again i am new to the world of keyboard enthusiasm so im keeping an open mind  :))

Also i think the customizability on a commercial level is very poor. It is basically what brought me to this site. I have yet to find a commercial brand that does programmable firmware keyboards, and the number of existing layouts are almost all the same thing.

I agree with you on the above but I know Cherry keyboards have hardware reprogrammability.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tbc

« Reply #906 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:07:42 »
i'm not sure what you're saying.

you want a keyboard that had both 60% FN layers AND the dedicated keys?

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline condoriano

« Reply #907 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:16:52 »
yes, as long as you have a custom controller or control on your firmware you can easily use any key to switch between layouts, no need of a 60% to do that. Also i see no reason to get rid of the F keys. Im more the type that would add even an extra row on top of it.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #908 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:17:40 »
yes, as long as you have a custom controller or control on your firmware you can easily use any key to switch between layouts, no need of a 60% to do that. Also i see no reason to get rid of the F keys. Im more the type that would add even an extra row on top of it.

Just get a full size keyboard!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #909 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:38:53 »

Depending on the mechanical switch and the application, yeah, definitely. Typing on linear switches or gaming on buckling springs is awful.

Offline tbc

« Reply #910 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:44:31 »

so you want this keyboard for yourself?

Offline Rena

« Reply #911 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 00:25:44 »
I don't see any reason to have dedicated F keys. much smarter to combine them with number keys imo, waste of space otherwise

Offline condoriano

« Reply #912 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 01:27:08 »
for efficiency. switching layers is something that depends on my current application or setup. Doing so just to be able to use a function key seems extremely inefficient. Based on that logic we could make a keyboard with a single row and call it a 10% keyboard.

and for me i don't see how it is a waste of space. unless i had a tiny desk on which i cannot fit anything but 60%
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 01:30:04 by condoriano »

Offline jamster

« Reply #913 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 02:58:43 »
I don't see any reason to have dedicated F keys. much smarter to combine them with number keys imo, waste of space otherwise

The whole space saving argument against Fn keys puzzles me. Saving space on either side of a keyboard I understand, but with the way most people use their desks an extra inch or so of space above their keyboard simply doesn't matter as this is not useful space- if it's used at all, it might be a place to dump some pens or a pen holder.

I find function keys useful because they are commonly accessed. Alt-F4 is a common Windows close command. F8/10/12 is used to access BIOS if you do that sort of stuff. F1 is useful to people who use help. F5 is browser reload.

These functions can be accessed by key combinations, but I find combos less convenient (and sometimes downright frustrating, such as when trying to enter BIOS when it flashes up for a second).

Perhaps this is a candidate for Unpopular Keyboard Opinion: Anything less than TKL is really done for aesthetics rather than functionality or comfort. Even TKL drops a lot of functionality, but I would argue that at least it increases comfort for some people.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #914 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 08:12:53 »
I don't just flip my spacebar. I flip my whole bottom row.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #915 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 08:39:20 »
I can get down with this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #916 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 09:07:45 »
as silly as it sounds, i would totally do that if the legends matched

Offline Epsilahn

« Reply #917 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 12:19:38 »
I've been here more than 24 hours, time to make some people despise me.   :))

1. Keyboards in the vein of the Poker and Infinity are the iPhones of keyboards.  Overpriced compared to more functional keyboards, trying too hard to look good with rounded-plastic-bucket bezels, and crippled by the justification "Well do we really need those functions?"

2. Blank keycaps.  Combine with #1 for the kind of keyboard an aspiring writer would whip out of his backpack to connect to his laptop for a "hardcore sesh" at a coffee house.

3. A LOT of vanity caps look bad.  There's plenty that look good, but that doesn't matter to the collector.  They will pay altogether too much money for the ugliest neon-puke colored raging sphincter cap because such-n-such made it by hand and now it has uber value.  Like beanie babies and furbys of yesteryear, whether you like it is unimportant.  The point is, it has value.  Right?

4. Cherry needs to step up their game.  The exclusivity of RGB switches, the pencil-on-paper feel of their unlubed switches, and their comparatively high prices are going to start turning against them with the arrival of competent competitors.

Offline tbc

« Reply #918 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 14:23:35 »

The whole space saving argument against Fn keys puzzles me. Saving space on either side of a keyboard I understand, but with the way most people use their desks an extra inch or so of space above their keyboard simply doesn't matter as this is not useful space- if it's used at all, it might be a place to dump some pens or a pen holder.

I find function keys useful because they are commonly accessed. Alt-F4 is a common Windows close command. F8/10/12 is used to access BIOS if you do that sort of stuff. F1 is useful to people who use help. F5 is browser reload.

These functions can be accessed by key combinations, but I find combos less convenient (and sometimes downright frustrating, such as when trying to enter BIOS when it flashes up for a second).

Perhaps this is a candidate for Unpopular Keyboard Opinion: Anything less than TKL is really done for aesthetics rather than functionality or comfort. Even TKL drops a lot of functionality, but I would argue that at least it increases comfort for some people.

it is FARRRRRRRRR better keeping a 60% keyboard than a tkl in your bag

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #919 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 14:32:21 »
Okay, something unpopular: The opinion, that lack of keys on more compact keyboards is "crippling" for the sake of aesthetics, is uninformed.
  • I've noticed (in some research papers) the notion, that touch typing (i.e., orientation on the keyboard entirely by touch, even blindfolded) is inefficient on more than ~40 keys and nearly impossible on more than 50 keys.
  • The current "standard" was made for the ancestors of certain current commercially-available operating systems (or their Human Interface Guidelines respectively). The are other ways of controlling UIs though… Either with pointing devices, or through some extra modality (vi-like controls, GNU Emacs).

Also i see no reason to get rid of the F keys.
The size difference is negligible, but the extra row means extra weight (switches and keycaps, extra material for the case and PCB/plate; I guess usually 50-100 g total), which matters in case of portable keyboards.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #920 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 14:33:12 »
Not sure if unpopular, more like polarizing:

Aesthetics > form, comfort

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #921 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:12:53 »

Ha, my entire keyboard is upside down.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #922 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:51:23 »
I still haven't found a single person that shares my opinion on this one.. Lube on MX blues feels great.

I really enjoy my lubed blue switches, 62g springs. People always complain about noisy blues and I'm like .. wat?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #923 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 22:07:21 »
I carry my full sized keyboard around... It's not that heavy.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline unoab

« Reply #924 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 02:04:24 »
Based on that logic we could make a keyboard with a single row and call it a 10% keyboard.

meet the 14% keyboard (split though, so does that make it two 7% ones?)  So it seems like someone had already thought along those lines...

The size difference is negligible, but the extra row means extra weight (switches and keycaps, extra material for the case and PCB/plate; I guess usually 50-100 g total), which matters in case of portable keyboards.

If weight really mattered then 60% stainless steel plate mount, milled aluminum keyboards with the thickest keycaps possible might be a bit in the wrong direction anyways...  :rolleyes:

Well and what would a few kilos mean anyway?  Its not like that's space we could be using for survival rations for the day.  I for one would see benefit from the extra exercise.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #925 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 02:24:33 »

When your other hand is busy using the mouse, you don't want to have to extend another finger all the way across the board just to access another layer with your keyboard hand.

Offline jamster

« Reply #926 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 04:16:08 »

Riiight. That's about the weight of a smartphone. If someone is so weak that such a trivial amount of weight is going to matter, they have bigger things to concern themselves with than whether they can carry their perfect keyboard around all day.

To me most, if not all, of the sub-TKL arguments are ex-post justifications. Not sure if I'm using the correct term here, but it's that behavior where someone decides on X out of gut feeling, and then only after that latches on to any reason that would support belief X.

Offline exit

« Reply #927 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 04:44:52 »

Reds are more unlike rubber domes than browns and blues since reds are linear while the others are inconsistent.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #928 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 05:34:36 »
Okay, something unpopular: The opinion, that lack of keys on more compact keyboards is "crippling" for the sake of aesthetics, is uninformed.
  • I've noticed (in some research papers) the notion, that touch typing (i.e., orientation on the keyboard entirely by touch, even blindfolded) is inefficient on more than ~40 keys and nearly impossible on more than 50 keys.
  • The current "standard" was made for the ancestors of certain current commercially-available operating systems (or their Human Interface Guidelines respectively). The are other ways of controlling UIs though… Either with pointing devices, or through some extra modality (vi-like controls, GNU Emacs).

IMHO, this is entirely dependent on previous experience and the effort you're willing to expend.

If you're used a "normal" full size layout, a TKL is about the best compromise between size and practical use. The dedicated arrow keys, edit cluster and F keys can make a big difference to productivity if they're what you're used to using.

If you've never spent too much time on a normal full size board, or don't need to use arrows, edit keys or F keys a lot, (or are willing to "unlearn" normal typing habits and learn new ones) a 60% or smaller can be more efficient AND take less space. You can do everything a full size board can do on a 40%, just takes a little getting used to when to press the layer keys.

IMO, the attraction of 60% is a combination of size and aesthetics. The weight has never been a factor for me.

With a little effort and time taken to get used to it, I believe a board like the JD45 (or the custom ergo in my avatar or the 40 key Portable Writers board) can actually be the most efficient to use.

tldr: Lazy = use a TKL
Not lazy = get a JD45
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #929 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 05:41:52 »
60% is the best.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #930 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 06:37:39 »
60% is the best.
Show Image

oh I'm sorry, I thought we were in the Unpopular Opinions thread. My mistake
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #931 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 06:53:24 »
60% is the best.
Show Image

I came here expecting opinions about unpopular keyboards...

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #932 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 06:56:50 »
60% is the best.
Show Image

Wait this isn't the unpopular-popular but pretending it's unpopular opinion thread?

My bad.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #933 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:03:10 »
60% is the best.
Show Image

Wait this isn't the unpopular-popular but pretending it's unpopular opinion thread?

My bad.

To make both of you happy, I'll marry an unpopular opinion to a popular opinion.

All Topre boards suck except the HHKB.  Realforce, FC660C, and Novatouch all feel like crap.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #934 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:14:33 »
I don't know if anyone other than Intelli has an opinion on this, but I think the Kailh RGBs are really really nice.

A thousand times better than the Cherry RGBs I saw on the Corsair board last year, nowhere near as washed out.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #935 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 12:46:36 »
I don't know if anyone other than Intelli has an opinion on this, but I think the Kailh RGBs are really really nice.

A thousand times better than the Cherry RGBs I saw on the Corsair board last year, nowhere near as washed out.

I agree. Sitting in front of Kailh RGBs as we speak.  :cool:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #936 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 13:08:29 »

I agree. Sitting in front of Kailh RGBs as we speak.  :cool:

Nice :D

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #937 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 00:08:37 »
I like dcs profile.
I like the legend used on lily set. (wyse legend?)
I like thin pbt.
I like sp.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #938 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:05:11 »
I like dcs profile.
I like thin pbt.
I like sp.

How about the bottom row angle and sharp-edged DCS spacebar? If you use a low-ish board angle (which is better for ergonomic reasons), I find my thumb hitting the spacebar at a very uncomfortable angle on DCS. Cherry is MUCH better, SA is the best (symmetrical) :)

Do you by any chance happen to like Blues? I think thin PBT matches well to Blues (enhances the best aspects of the click), but I don't like either of them very much myself.

I like shiny ABS keycaps (as long as they're heavy enough) :)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #939 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:29:14 »
I like dcs profile.
I like thin pbt.
I like sp.

How about the bottom row angle and sharp-edged DCS spacebar? If you use a low-ish board angle (which is better for ergonomic reasons), I find my thumb hitting the spacebar at a very uncomfortable angle on DCS. Cherry is MUCH better, SA is the best (symmetrical) :)

Do you by any chance happen to like Blues? I think thin PBT matches well to Blues (enhances the best aspects of the click), but I don't like either of them very much myself.

My keyboard is 12 degree, so it is very comfortable for me to use DCS.  I always feel strange to use SA  :-[
I don't hate blue, but I don't prefer it.  But I find thin abs match pretty well to blue and clear

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #940 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:30:25 »
The hhkb is so perfect to type on that it is boring.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #941 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:39:14 »
I like dcs profile.
I like thin pbt.
I like sp.

My keyboard is 12 degree, so it is very comfortable for me to use DCS.  I always feel strange to use SA  :-[
I don't hate blue, but I don't prefer it.  But I find thin abs match pretty well to blue and clear

Y, 12 degrees is too high to use with SA. SA works best on really flat boards.

Here's an opinion: Switch stickers are essential for premium feel. Without them, the stems are too loose / wobbly.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #942 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 02:09:17 »
I can't stand the HHKB space bar. In the six models I've used they just feel garbage to me.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #943 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 02:45:31 »
I hate it when people lift the rear keyboard stands. Keyboards are meant to be flat on the table.

Offline tbc

« Reply #944 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 03:00:16 »
I hate it when people lift the rear keyboard stands. Keyboards are meant to be flat on the table.

dat truth

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #945 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 03:28:34 »
I may be committing blasphemy, but I think I found a better layout than HHKB's.

It's an HHKB with an integrated modified numpad on the left.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #946 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 07:13:24 »
topper is overrated?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #947 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 07:55:11 »
All Topre boards suck except the HHKB.  Realforce, FC660C, and Novatouch all feel like crap.

Why do you want me to be sad?

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #948 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 07:56:34 »

if its any consolation i dont want u sad
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #949 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 12:52:09 »

Because through sorrow comes growth and understanding.