Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268535 times)

Offline Neo.X

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #950 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:36:19 »
Everything related to mechanical keyboard is OVERPRICED!!!
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #951 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:19:17 »
Ortholinear keyboards are stupid.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #952 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:25:12 »
Ortholinear keyboards are stupid.

Oh, sure, if you have crooked fingers.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #953 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:26:09 »
60% is the best.
Show Image

oh I'm sorry, I thought we were in the Unpopular Opinions thread. My mistake
Wait this isn't the unpopular-popular but pretending it's unpopular opinion thread?

My bad.

To make both of you happy, I'll marry an unpopular opinion to a popular opinion.

All Topre boards suck except the HHKB.  Realforce, FC660C, and Novatouch all feel like crap.

im about to back hand you back to kindergarden son.

55g RF is the greatest feeling topre, ever. no questions asked. no arguments.

but hhkb has best layout.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #954 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:30:04 »

#Fact

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #955 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 20:30:51 »

55g Realforce is like a kid.  You have it, so you have to love it, but 90% of it is pain and talking back.

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #956 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:07:56 »
Stock cherry blacks with thin keycaps (SP DCS or Tai-Hao) is the best for gaming.

Shiny cherry keycaps feel nice to type on.
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #957 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:15:28 »
thinking a switch is "best for gaming" is stupid.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #958 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:21:26 »

How is that unpopular?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #959 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:22:52 »

How is that unpopular?

well "gaming switch" is constantly echo'd here.

55g rf > every single switch ever.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #960 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:23:30 »
artisan caps (mainly of the BB and CC variety) have a net negative effect on the community

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #961 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:27:21 »
artisan caps (mainly of the BB and CC variety) have a net negative effect on the community

nope, the collectors do. if it wasn't artisans it would be something else.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #962 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:59:50 »

How is that unpopular?

well "gaming switch" is constantly echo'd here.

55g rf > every single switch ever.
demik, you gotta learn.

55g hhkb > every single switch ever

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #963 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 00:05:42 »

nope, the collectors do. if it wasn't artisans it would be something else.

I kinda wish they'd just branch that crap off into some other forum so I wouldn't have to look at pictures of otherwise beautifully made keyboards with what looks like chewed up gummy bears mashed all over them.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #964 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 00:26:49 »
HHKB layout is awful.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline hoz

• 60% is more than enough.
« Reply #965 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 01:03:53 »
HHKB Keyboards are hardly worth even the second hand prices if it doesnt include extras.

40% are exactly as useful as any 60% board, even the designs using normal sized spacebars.
considering theyre all reprogrammable and most people should have the brain capacity to adjust, even though it might take a little while for those who are less used to mix things up and constantly put new things into their muscle memory. (playing any kind of instrument etc)
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #966 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:15:47 »
HHKB Keyboards are hardly worth even the second hand prices if it doesnt include extras.

40% are exactly as useful as any 60% board, even the designs using normal sized spacebars.
considering theyre all reprogrammable and most people should have the brain capacity to adjust, even though it might take a little while for those who are less used to mix things up and constantly put new things into their muscle memory. (playing any kind of instrument etc)

Agreed on the HHKB.

I beg to differ (sort of) on that 40%. The punctuation / symbols on the top row are often really ingrained in your muscle memory (especially if you use them every day for coding, like I do), so putting those behind a Layer key takes some getting used to and many are not willing to put the effort in.

That said, I think a very well-designed 40% board (like the JD45 with smaller / split spacebar) can become even more efficient and useful than a 60% if you do take the time to adjust to it. And it is worth taking the time, IMHO, typing on a 40% can be very liberating. It's surprising how few keys you really need for most typing tasks. Numbers and symbols (besides ,. and ') aren't used as often as some may think. A key factor in making a 40% board usable is good Fn / Layer key placement. That's why I think a split space is important, you can use your non-space thumb for it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tufty

« Reply #967 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 09:41:11 »
Worrying about which switch is "best for gaming" even more so.

Offline loki993

« Reply #968 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:16:26 »
MX Clears are overratted and honestly I don't even like them very much.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #969 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:18:16 »

Like almost all the other mx switches, they need modding to feel great.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hoz

« Reply #970 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:23:38 »

Agreed on the HHKB.

I beg to differ (sort of) on that 40%. The punctuation / symbols on the top row are often really ingrained in your muscle memory (especially if you use them every day for coding, like I do), so putting those behind a Layer key takes some getting used to and many are not willing to put the effort in.

That said, I think a very well-designed 40% board (like the JD45 with smaller / split spacebar) can become even more efficient and useful than a 60% if you do take the time to adjust to it. And it is worth taking the time, IMHO, typing on a 40% can be very liberating. It's surprising how few keys you really need for most typing tasks. Numbers and symbols (besides ,. and ') aren't used as often as some may think. A key factor in making a 40% board usable is good Fn / Layer key placement. That's why I think a split space is important, you can use your non-space thumb for it.

yeah, and there we got exactly what's bothering me, the general belief one can be so used doing things a certain way it would be "hard" to muscle memorize even the addition of a fn-key to something you already need to press multiple keys to do, number row symbols are still at the top row, in order on a 40%...

ah, on topic, it really bothers me that matias quiet clickys are not really clickys, and that they dont really sit tight in the infinity plate, putting stress on the solders while pulling caps or pop right open ****ing up the leafs, if the alps stem on the SP DSA doesn´t break first...
and it bothers me that they´re all soldered now when their next destination is the trashcan, in favor of some gateron blues.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:05:34 by hoz »
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline loki993

« Reply #971 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:24:38 »

Thats what I figure problem is modding them is a PITA when most of the keyboards with them are plate mount.  When I got my keyboards I though it would be fairly easy to mod them, if you don't solder its not. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get a soldering kit or something.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #972 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 03:21:20 »

Agreed on the HHKB.

yeah, and there we got exactly what's bothering me, the general belief one can be so used doing things a certain way it would be "hard" to muscle memorize even the addition of a fn-key to something you already need to press multiple keys to do, number row symbols are still at the top row, in order on a 40%...

ah, on topic, it really bothers me that matias quiet clickys are not really clickys, and that they dont really sit tight in the infinity plate, putting stress on the solders while pulling caps or pop right open ****ing up the leafs, if the alps stem on the SP DSA doesn´t break first...
and it bothers me that they´re all soldered now when their next destination is the trashcan, in favor of some gateron blues.

Agreed.

Good choice with the Gateron Blues. Lots more keycap options, then, too :D

Thats what I figure problem is modding them is a PITA when most of the keyboards with them are plate mount.  When I got my keyboards I though it would be fairly easy to mod them, if you don't solder its not. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and get a soldering kit or something.

I'm just finishing up a new 60% build with Clears and it really is a PITA to do all the modding required (trampolines, 62g springs, stickers, shaved sliders), but once they're done they're the best an MX switch can ever be and only get better with use. Leaving out just one mod makes them significantly worse, though.

I use loose Clears and PCB's for my builds because it removes the desoldering step from the build.

I wish Gateron made ErgoClears (62-65g springs, large tactile bump).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline hj-s

« Reply #973 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 04:42:03 »
Not for countries where on " [ ] ' " keys are often using symbols, like cyrillic in Russia.  We have " х ъ э " on that keys. And i want them type like normal keys, not FN+something.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #974 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 07:08:15 »
Not for countries where on " [ ] ' " keys are often using symbols, like cyrillic in Russia.  We have " х ъ э " on that keys. And i want them type like normal keys, not FN+something.

JD45: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.msg1468124#msg1468124

Enough for many languages (like the Nordic ones), although some probably still use too many characters to fit. Ideally you want to keep ',. on the main layer, too. ' is not as common as some other symbols such as ( and ), but I have found it interrupts the typing flow too much having it on another layer as I consider it part of the word I'm typing.

All that punctuation reminds me of this:

For Finnish I find it acceptable to move ,. and å to a layer and put öä in place of ,. on my 40% layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/5ddf61c58df576abb835b0ad01756d46

English version for comparison: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/df0101b82800716a5200da363609f0cf

Upper characters are on the Fn layer, actuated with the thumb key (you can select which one is space, which one is Fn).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline hj-s

« Reply #975 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 07:56:34 »
JD45: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.msg1468124#msg1468124
Thank for link! Layout seems to me quite good for me.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #976 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 16:37:52 »

I'm just finishing up a new 60% build with Clears and it really is a PITA to do all the modding required (trampolines, 62g springs, stickers, shaved sliders), but once they're done they're the best an MX switch can ever be and only get better with use. Leaving out just one mod makes them significantly worse, though.

I use loose Clears and PCB's for my builds because it removes the desoldering step from the build.

I wish Gateron made ErgoClears (62-65g springs, large tactile bump).

Do you actually shave the sliders of the switch?  How easy is it to do and does it have a big difference and is there any guide to do it?.  What are loose clears and pcbs and how does it remove desoldering steps?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #977 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 18:04:34 »
PCB mount is w/ no plate is superior to any plate mounts in my opinion, easier switch access, easy stabilizer access, and I like the feel more, its softer

Offline hoz

« Reply #978 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 19:12:00 »

and as i stated earlier, im swedish and have our widely used åäö in a fn layer, it didnt take me long to memorize those in a fn layer, and my opinion is that it most likely wouldnt for other either.
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #979 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 20:30:40 »
qfr is decent
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #980 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 20:47:13 »
qfr is decent

judging by the subforum dedicated to the board, dunno if it qualifies as unpopular.  :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #981 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 12:22:50 »
qfr is decent

judging by the subforum dedicated to the board, dunno if it qualifies as unpopular.  :p
OTOH if he means that it's ONLY decent, then it might be quite unpopular.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #982 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 08:50:12 »
On-screen keyboards are the dumbest, most inefficient input method ever to be used on a smartphone. The keys are tiny. You can't touch-type, since you can't feel them. You're forced to look at the typing area to locate them.

But it's the default input method on nearly every smartphone out there.

The Graffiti input method from the venerable Palm PDAs works a lot better on a portable touchscreen. It just makes sense. Once learned, you don't even need to look at the screen. You just write.

The method is 20 years old and it still blows out of the water any other input method or handwriting recognition software available today.

Now the Graffiti rights belong to a company known as Access Co., who is just letting it die. They have an app for Android, but it hasn't been updated since 2011 and is not easy to make it work on newer devices. It's a shame.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #983 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 09:46:05 »
To he fair, I type almost as fast on Swype as I do on a standard keyboard.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #984 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:40:59 »
I like the Kailh switches. They are nice.

My first mechanical purchase was a Thermaltake Tt Sport Poseidon ZX (TenKeyLess) with Kaihl Blues & Blue LEDs
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:43:07 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #985 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:56:21 »
To he fair, I type almost as fast on Swype as I do on a standard keyboard.

Same. I'm a bit slower on Swype, but I can type with it rather quickly.

Swype really isn't functioning as a standard on-screen board though, except for stuff you haven't added to your dictionary yet and have to tap in.

The Apple kind where you have to tap each individual character is godawful and unusable.

Then again, some people just really do not comprehend Swype and similar input systems for whatever reason. Or insist on slow methods like voice. My dad drives me crazy slooowly dictating things to the phone, having to correct errors all the time, getting grumpy when someone dares say something during phone text time, it's inane. Your default keyboard has a swipe function, you have a stylus, you're not driving or anything like that, we're watching TV for the love of Christ, use text input!
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #986 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 07:20:29 »
All winkeys except the Win95 ones look trash IMO.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #987 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 07:25:16 »

This isn't unpopular, this is fact.

Win7 win keys are OKish, but Win8? Get that **** off my board what's wrong with you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #988 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 07:50:07 »
On-screen keyboards are the dumbest, most inefficient input method ever to be used on a smartphone.

The Graffiti input method from the venerable Palm PDAs works a lot better

I always hated Graffiti when I had a PDA because so many of the letters would have required re-learning. I have always made the crosses of "Ts" first, then brought the vertical stroke downward through it. That sort of thing always produced errors.

Besides, swirling your finger around is the equivalent of "several keystrokes" in time.

But I agree that I hate fingering a glass screen. Between various factors, which I assume to be the size and clumsiness of my fingertips, the natural capacitance of my skin, and/or whatever else, they simply never work properly.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #989 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 08:50:15 »
I can't get my fingers on linear switch #why

And I don't fancy 60% at all #why
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #990 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 08:55:22 »

Seems like a popular opinion.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #991 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 09:03:31 »

In that case Win95 legend is ****.  Win 7 legend is better.

In fact, the only good retro Windows logo is the 1.0 logo.  Everything until Win 7 sucked.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #992 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 09:12:19 »
Well I suppose that I hold the unpopular opinion of liking the Win8 logo. It actually looks like a window and not a flag flying in the wind.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #993 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 09:19:35 »

In fact, the only good retro Windows logo is the 1.0 logo.  Everything until Win 7 sucked.

Show Image

I'm working on a keyset that should use that old Window 1.0 logo
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71629.0

I really think that old logo looks cool and have never seen it on a keyboard, so I would love it if my set is the first to use it

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #994 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 10:09:12 »

Show Image

Too round for my taste.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #995 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:16:04 »

Show Image

Too round for my taste.

Still dramatically better than 95.  Seriously, what's up with the squiggle and the tail?  And why is the tail a repeat of the two squares in front of it?  It's just tacky and bad design.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #996 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:26:39 »

Still dramatically better than 95.  Seriously, what's up with the squiggle and the tail?  And why is the tail a repeat of the two squares in front of it?  It's just tacky and bad design.

It was the age of new ideas and the 3-D aspect (if you remember) of Windows.  The new Windows 95 screensaver had that image floating like a waving flag and it was "super cool" at the time.  The logo stuck with the "Flying Windows".  I would call it "OK".  Windows, I believe up to the time of XP, had the "Flying Windows" screensaver. 

Edit: In the screensaver options you would select the 3D Flying Objects Screensaver.  Then you selected "Windows Logo"
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:55:52 by Snowdog993 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #997 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:34:54 »
Flying Windows looked a lot more like a kite than a window, but it was moderately attractive, if stupid.

The whole curve concept makes no sense, anyway, but I thought that the XP/7 version was the most handsome.

8 looks like a bleached-out flag from an unidentified country.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #998 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:35:40 »
Flying Windows looked a lot more like a kite than a window, but it was moderately attractive, if stupid.

The whole curve concept makes no sense, anyway, but I thought that the XP/7 version was the most handsome.

8 looks like a bleached-out flag from an unidentified country.
I can do WIN xp as well

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #999 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:37:56 »
How about no Windows logo at all? >:D