Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268661 times)

Offline Want

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1000 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:39:56 »
Blanks are always stupid.

Offline vindaon

« Reply #1001 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:54:31 »
I like text legends for the windows, preferably Super

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #1002 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:54:47 »
How about no Windows logo at all? >:D

Blanks are always stupid.
These are great out of context. XD
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1003 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 18:43:55 »
RGB backlighting makes your keyboard look like its a toy meant for a 12 year old

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1004 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 18:51:49 »
Topres are not much better than the best rubber domes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:11:53 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 20:58:05 »
Ortholinear keyboards are stupid.
Oh, sure, if you have crooked fingers.
Nah, pretty much stupid no matter who you are. Hands are not shaped like bricks.

To be generous, they’re at best about the same as standard QWERTY/Sholes layout for an experienced expert to type on (personally I suspect they’re marginally worse even after long experience), but they need to be re-learned from scratch for anyone used to a standard keyboard.

Ortholinear keyboards: All the discomfort, inaccuracy, and RSI potential of a regular keyboard, none of the advantageous network effects. Yay!
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:04:33 by jacobolus »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1006 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:17:07 »
White & Light Grey classic IBM M two toned key cap layout is superior to all others.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1007 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:19:04 »
White & Light Grey classic IBM M two toned key cap layout is superior to all others.

The official names of the colors are "pearl" and "pebble"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1008 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:20:18 »
Wait until you head about granite! :P

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1009 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:21:42 »
I prefer the logo of the Galactic Empire from Star Wars on the Windows key, because Microsoft is the Evil Empire. ;)

Unpopular keyboard opinion: Almost all key group buys are too expensive. (at least for my budget :( )

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1010 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 22:10:07 »
Keyboard is boring.

Offline dante

« Reply #1011 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 22:14:36 »
Topres are not much better than the best rubber domes.

Realforce 104 = ANSI QSenn DT35

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1012 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 22:17:02 »
Keyboard is boring.
Haha, this is the perfect thread for you :))

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 17:56:09 »
NMB RT6856TW is superior to both the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW and the IBM KB-8923

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:09:41 »
I generally dont care for keyboards with goofy media & internet/productivity keys. Although there are some that arent so bad.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:15:54 »
I prefer the logo of the Galactic Empire from Star Wars on the Windows key, because Microsoft is the Evil Empire. ;)

Unpopular keyboard opinion: Almost all key group buys are too expensive. (at least for my budget :( )
One can say that no matter how evil Microsoft might have been in the 90's, Google nowadays is even worse.
And Apple has a very similar tendency.

In fact, if you want a non-evil and very innovative big company, Microsoft is where it's at.

But that is a discussion for another thread.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:14:43 »
I generally dont care for keyboards with goofy media & internet/productivity keys. Although there are some that arent so bad.

I agree. The multimedia keys on the Ducky Shine 3, for example, looks fine to me. On the other hand, this thing is just nasty.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 22:04:18 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 22:00:47 »

I agree. The multimedia keys on the Ducky Shine 3, for example, looks fine to me. On the other hand, this thing is just nasty.

Show Image

oh christ
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 22:11:14 »

Show Image

That thing is horrendous!

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #1019 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 00:01:33 »
Show Image

Sometimes I think people confuse "mech keyboards" with "mecha keyboards": 
103221-0
And as if this were not enough, they combine "mecha keyboards" with "Master of the Universe keycaps" *facepalm*  :D
103227-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2015, 01:23:05 by Eszett »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1020 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 09:49:39 »
Show Image

Sometimes I think people confuse "mech keyboards" with "mecha keyboards": 
(Attachment Link)
And as if this were not enough, they combine "mecha keyboards" with "Master of the Universe keycaps" *facepalm*  :D
(Attachment Link)

I don't know why you're complaining.  I would buy that second toy in heartbeat.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1021 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 17:10:25 »
I like clone & offbrand keyboard switches.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1022 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:57:49 »

how is this unpopular?

huge gateron circlejerk on here.

matter of fact, all of GH is okay with copying cherry.

just dont touch their artisans, then copying becomes a problem.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 19:38:53 »

how is this unpopular?

It depends on how good the copy is.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1024 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 21:03:39 »

Show Image

That keyboard is for l33t hackzors only

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1025 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 23:21:19 »
^At least that keyboard has a standard bottom row.

Corsair/MaxKeyboards really pisses me off with that. There's just no reason for it.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1026 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 23:22:23 »
^At least that keyboard has a standard bottom row.

Corsair/MaxKeyboards really pisses me off with that. There's just no reason for it.
ugh gaming performance obviously
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1027 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 23:24:57 »

how is this unpopular?

Well it's not a like for like copy. Gateron's feel a lot different than Cherry, and their milky clear housing is very different as well. Cherry doesn't even sell a retail switch that is translucent, you have to essentially desolder an RGB keyboard. On top of that, only certain switches are available in translucent form.

Stock Cherry's IMO aren't even that nice without modification, and stock Gaterons feel much smoother.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1028 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 01:53:30 »

I refuse to buy anything Corsair and whenever I see a computer with a bunch of Corsair **** in it (because, let's be honest, a lot of their stuff is not that great) I always think under-researched and over-paid.  That and Corsair does so much vendor lock in that it pisses me off.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1029 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 01:54:35 »

I refuse to buy anything Corsair and whenever I see a computer with a bunch of Corsair **** in it (because, let's be honest, a lot of their stuff is not that great) I always think under-researched and over-paid.  That and Corsair does so much vendor lock in that it pisses me off.

Their PSU are great.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 02:10:44 »

Their PSU are great.

Their PSUs are usually identical to cheaper options while costing more.  Seriously, look at brands like XFX or check out some of the equally awesome and cheaper SuperFlower made PSUs.  For example, lets look around 500w, one of the most popular wattages for your average consumer.  The EVGA Supernova, a good Gold rated PSU, is $20 cheaper than the RM650, an equally good PSU. They do sometimes come on sale at a great price, but I usually see better options for less...at least if you keep your eyes open. 

Their budget PSUs are junk and their high end ones with Link cause more problems than their worth.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 02:27:34 »
Yeah all of their components are overpriced. Most of their products are good (save for the cheap junk like their CX line of PSUs) but it makes me cry when I see completed builds using, say, 32GB of Corsair Dominator. Whenever I say someone overspent on the Corsair, they always retort "But the Corsair Dominator is the best!". No, RAM is RAM, and Corsair doesn't even manufacture it, it's made by another company and Corsair slaps their logo on it just like their power supplies and anything else. Just because it is more expensive than everything else doesn't make it the best.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 03:39:06 »

Their PSU are great.

Their PSUs are usually identical to cheaper options while costing more.  Seriously, look at brands like XFX or check out some of the equally awesome and cheaper SuperFlower made PSUs.  For example, lets look around 500w, one of the most popular wattages for your average consumer.  The EVGA Supernova, a good Gold rated PSU, is $20 cheaper than the RM650, an equally good PSU. They do sometimes come on sale at a great price, but I usually see better options for less...at least if you keep your eyes open. 

Their budget PSUs are junk and their high end ones with Link cause more problems than their worth.

Nobody in their right minds would even bother using the abomination of software that is Corsair link - that being said though the AX1500i is probably one of the best power supplies out there at the moment in terms of clean power delivery. I don't know anyone out there though there though that needs that much wattage (Maybe if you run like 4 290x's?)

INB4 Corsair fanboi - I use a Coolermaster V1000  :)

But Corsair keyboards are an eyesore

Offline janvkn

« Reply #1033 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 04:09:43 »
The CoolerMaster Novatouch is rubbish and the biggest disappointment of all the mechs I have ever bought. It's nothing like the "RealForce with mx compatible stems" that I imagined it to be. The case feels shoddy and hollow and the hard plastic really feels cheap. Bottoming out feels plasticky instead of solid, and it rattles and makes noise in a bad way.

I think I typed on it for about an hour, tried a few keycap sets on it, none of which made it better, then put it back in its box and gifted it to my brother because I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting it up for sale. Back to Realforce, Filco and IBM BS for me.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1034 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:45:48 »
Yeah all of their components are overpriced. Most of their products are good (save for the cheap junk like their CX line of PSUs) but it makes me cry when I see completed builds using, say, 32GB of Corsair Dominator. Whenever I say someone overspent on the Corsair, they always retort "But the Corsair Dominator is the best!". No, RAM is RAM, and Corsair doesn't even manufacture it, it's made by another company and Corsair slaps their logo on it just like their power supplies and anything else. Just because it is more expensive than everything else doesn't make it the best.

I'd disagree on RAM is RAM, but yeah, Corsair RAM is overpriced.  It has one of the highest RMA rates for DOA and not meeting stated speed and it does not typically overclock well unless you buy the super extensive high end stuff.  G.Skill iuses better ICs that overclock better. 

And their RAM is a perfect example of vendor lock in.  They design it with tall heatspreaders forcing you to get a CLC.

The CoolerMaster Novatouch is rubbish and the biggest disappointment of all the mechs I have ever bought. It's nothing like the "RealForce with mx compatible stems" that I imagined it to be. The case feels shoddy and hollow and the hard plastic really feels cheap. Bottoming out feels plasticky instead of solid, and it rattles and makes noise in a bad way.

I think I typed on it for about an hour, tried a few keycap sets on it, none of which made it better, then put it back in its box and gifted it to my brother because I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting it up for sale. Back to Realforce, Filco and IBM BS for me.

I really disliked it as well.  Then again, I've hated every Topre board I've tried except the HHKB and HHKB is love.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1035 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:57:22 »
Corsair greatest company ever. I'm going to name my first born corsair just for you nubs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1036 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:04:33 »
Corsair greatest company ever. I'm going to name my first born corsair just for you nubs.

Sorry demik, you're over 25 with no kids.  That means you're consigned to creepy uncle status.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1037 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:08:57 »
HHKB what does everyone see in it? To me the average person that granted has not used topre it looks like a overpriced white poker with a goofy layout that just plain makes no sense to me, and the HHKB circle jerk is real I always feel that genuinely and no word of a lie now that the only reason people say they are good is to make them selves feel better for buying something so expensive :(

I'm sorry HHKB it's not me... It's you :c

Then again I'll probs buy a HHKB in a year of so :/
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1038 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:09:17 »

Sorry demik, you're over 25 with no kids.  That means you're consigned to creepy uncle status.
That's all I aspire to be!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1039 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:10:44 »
I thought the same as you on the HHKB....then someone loaned me their Type-S and love was born. 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1040 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:15:35 »
HHKB what does everyone see in it? To me the average person that granted has not used topre it looks like a overpriced white poker with a goofy layout that just plain makes no sense to me, and the HHKB circle jerk is real I always feel that genuinely and no word of a lie now that the only reason people say they are good is to make them selves feel better for buying something so expensive :(

Well I own one. I'm cool. At this point people buy them just to be cool by association. Don't be a square fire, get a hhkb.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1041 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:24:24 »

Well I own one. I'm cool. At this point people buy them just to be cool by association. Don't be a square fire, get a hhkb.
:/ Its more the price I just think its stupidly expensive for what you get, no matter how cool you are :c also the one otherthing that bothers me is keycaps I can't use any normal ones I have to buy different sets, I changed from purely ISO to ANSI to make it easier, but then I would need to replace them all, set aside the topre to mx stems (Which I have ordered) I just don't know man then theres customs fee's for the keyboard which will bend me over for half of its price :c

I just...I Just don't think you're worth it demik I'm sorry bby ;-; I shall never be as cool as you riding a bike on the side of your wall

Edit: And to make thing worse someone in Sheffield has listed a HHKB on ebay :( Pls no ;-; Steam takes all my money and nendoroids must resist urge...
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:33:27 by Fire Brand »
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1042 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:40:03 »

:/ Its more the price I just think its stupidly expensive for what you get, no matter how cool you are :c also the one otherthing that bothers me is keycaps I can't use any normal ones I have to buy different sets, I changed from purely ISO to ANSI to make it easier, but then I would need to replace them all, set aside the topre to mx stems (Which I have ordered) I just don't know man then theres customs fee's for the keyboard which will bend me over for half of its price :c

I just...I Just don't think you're worth it demik I'm sorry bby ;-; I shall never be as cool as you riding a bike on the side of your wall

Edit: And to make thing worse someone in Sheffield has listed a HHKB on ebay :( Pls no ;-; Steam takes all my money and nendoroids must resist urge...

When you eventually get it, you'll wonder why you took so long.

And changing caps is overrated.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1043 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:10:48 »

^^ this. From my experience with a Cherry board and a couple of group buys, there's a little "pop" of newness you get when you put on a new set of caps... and then a month later it's just "normal" again and you're looking to blow another chunk of cash to get that new keyboard feeling again.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:21:17 by dchadwick »

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #1044 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:28:43 »

^^ this. From my experience with a Cherry board and a couple of group buys, there's a little "pop" of newness you get when you put on a new set of caps... and then a month later it's just "normal" again and you're looking to blow another chunk of cash to get that new keyboard feeling again.

If you're buying them for "newness" then yes. But I enjoy aesthetic pairing of certain sets. They are overpriced, but I feel as if I got my money's worth nonetheless.

Buying mod sets or whatever just for the sake of "matching" them, however, is excessive.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #1045 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 23:17:28 »

More proof that almost anything and everything about a keyboard is more important than the keycaps. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1046 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 09:39:07 »
so you guys are fine with ****ty shiny texture-less abs caps?
not me, thanks. pbt or out the window :cool:
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1047 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 12:38:26 »
so you guys are fine with ****ty shiny texture-less abs caps?
not me, thanks. pbt or out the window :cool:

The PBT keycaps on my HHKB are excellent and that's an upgrade I can see making, but chasing endless color combos for novelty is for the birds.

Offline Want

« Reply #1048 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 13:04:02 »
PBT has no texture.
Neither does ABS.

It's about the ****ing mold and production **** how is this an opinion.
Sure PBT is a harder plastic but sand those *****es down and you'll get the same texture.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1049 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 13:11:13 »
I have sanded keycaps before. The thing is, PBT keycaps, that have the texture of sweat-worn ABS out of the box, don't exist AFAIK—only with the exception of inner two-part Model M caps.