Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268636 times)

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1050 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 14:03:19 »
I have sanded keycaps before. The thing is, PBT keycaps, that have the texture of sweat-worn ABS out of the box, don't exist AFAIK—only with the exception of inner two-part Model M caps.

I'm not sure how sweat-worn you are looking for, but BSP PBT is quite smooth. It's not quite shined ABS smooth, but it lacks the annoying (IMO) grippiness.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1051 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 15:54:39 »
so you guys are fine with ****ty shiny texture-less abs caps?
not me, thanks. pbt or out the window :cool:
Pbt and abs all feel the same to me. Spending 100+ on key caps just for the color is just silly now (to me at least)

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1052 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 16:19:19 »
I'm not sure how sweat-worn you are looking for, but BSP PBT is quite smooth. It's not quite shined ABS smooth, but it lacks the annoying (IMO) grippiness.
ABS, that's exposed to sweat in the long term, feels quite similar to use of 1000-grit sandpaper, whereas I prefer something like 200 grit, IIRC.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1053 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 20:20:07 »
This topic is fantastic. LOL!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1054 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:51:41 »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1056 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:26:43 »
I actually don't mind Peerless switches.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #1057 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 07:44:52 »
Keyboards with LEDs going through their keycaps is so ****ing ugly. The light should not peek through it or else you end up with **** looking keycaps.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline blahlicus

• UniqueK | DIY keyboards, etc
« Reply #1058 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 17:56:02 »
heh, are we really doing this?

1. Topre is overrated and a realforce should not be that expensive

2. 40% boards are not practical for day to day use

3. a fullsized board/TKL with numpad is always better if you have the desk space, the thing with mouse distance does not make sense

4. The ergodox is hardly ergonomic

5. Cherry clones are great when priced accordingly

6. Cherry type switches are wobbly

7. Korean customs should not cost $400

8. HHKB is too expensive and has a bad layout, seriously, no Win key?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1059 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:03:45 »

3. a fullsized board/TKL with numpad is always better if you have the desk space, the thing with mouse distance does not make sense

winkey is over-rated Who needs a dedicated key to replace 2 key codes. Ctrl + Esc gives you winkey. If you need to launch something on the taskbar, use your mouse. Need to lock your PC, its 4 more strokes of an arrow key. Need to swap windows, use alt-tab. Ergodox is ergonomic because when used properly, it lets your elbows rest open, which is more naturally then straight.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1060 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:17:30 »

winkey is over-rated Who needs a dedicated key to replace 2 key codes. Ctrl + Esc gives you winkey. If you need to launch something on the taskbar, use your mouse. Need to lock your PC, its 4 more strokes of an arrow key. Need to swap windows, use alt-tab. Ergodox is ergonomic because when used properly, it lets your elbows rest open, which is more naturally then straight.
Agree on the winkey, it's mostly useless and can be replaced easily. As for the ergodox, the whole thumb cluster isn't really ideal.

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tbc

« Reply #1061 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:20:46 »

Agree on the winkey, it's mostly useless and can be replaced easily. As for the ergodox, the whole thumb cluster isn't really ideal.

you know, i've seen this complain quite a few times now.

i for one only use my left thumb for 2 btns: space and cmd on os x.  2 keys per thumb on the ergodox is not a problem in the slightest.

are people using their thumbs for more than 2 buttons on a normal keyboard?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1062 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:53:22 »

you know, i've seen this complain quite a few times now.

i for one only use my left thumb for 2 btns: space and cmd on os x.  2 keys per thumb on the ergodox is not a problem in the slightest.

are people using their thumbs for more than 2 buttons on a normal keyboard?
Well I think a good ergonomic board would let you make more use of your thumbs by letting you hit keys you couldn't normally hit easily before. I'm not really an ergonomics guy, so that's just my somewhat uneducated opinion I guess :))

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1063 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:01:58 »
You guys have it wrong.
Winkey is a modifier key similar to the ALt and CTRL keys. The Winkey by itself is a shortcut for the start menu, which actually opens with ctrl-esc. They are not interchangeable. While you can use the Winkey for shortcuts and the start menu, you can't use CTRL-ESC +key  for shortcuts.

Win+e = Windows Explorer
Win+x opens a menu of system functions (dependent on Windows version)
Win+R = run command
Win+d raise or lower a window
And probably 20 others.

I use an Autohotkety script to automatically disable it while gaming (it also converts capslock to shift). Work smarter, not harder.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1064 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:13:41 »
You guys have it wrong.
Winkey is a modifier key similar to the ALt and CTRL keys. The Winkey by itself is a shortcut for the start menu, which actually opens with ctrl-esc. They are not interchangeable. While you can use the Winkey for shortcuts and the start menu, you can't use CTRL-ESC +key  for shortcuts.

Win+e = Windows Explorer
Win+R = run command
And probably 20 others.

I use an Autohotkety script to automatically disable it while gaming (it also converts capslock to shift). Work smarter, not harder.

whoa, haven't seen you post in awhile. glad to have you back.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1065 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:31:44 »
whoa, haven't seen you post in awhile. glad to have you back.
Thanks, just been busy with work.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #1066 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 22:39:01 »
If I had one wish, I'd wish that ArthurM from Massdrop would unexpectedly step on a rusty nail or a lego every single day for the rest of his life.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #1067 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 22:50:07 »
If I had one wish, I'd wish that ArthurM from Massdrop would unexpectedly step on a rusty nail or a lego every single day for the rest of his life.

did he pour salt in your coffee?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #1068 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 22:58:49 »

I have so much hate in my heart. Only ArthurM's death will slake my bloodlust.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1069 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 03:29:31 »
We all need to get out more.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #1070 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 08:13:48 »

I have so much hate in my heart. Only ArthurM's death will slake my bloodlust.

I can understand this somewhat if you knew this guy in person... but hating folks over the internet?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #1071 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 09:54:43 »

3. I can't use a fullsize anymore without getting pain in my wrist. I'll gladly put a numpad to the side though.

7. Hardly an unpopular opinion but more of an unrealistic one. Mechanical Keyboards are still a niche.
Milling large pieces of aluminum costs money. Low yields cost money. Unless you can find many more people (at least 10-100 times more than now) interested in these custom boards, they won't get much cheaper. The economies of scale are simply not available at these numbers.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #1072 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 10:59:00 »

'

Not always better. A lot of people (e.g. me) have RSI in their wrists, shoulders, or back and need a split layout.

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #1073 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 11:20:31 »
This has probably already been said but I really don't understand the '1337' gamer type boards, the fonts are always terrible and they're covered in garish branding.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #1074 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 14:37:14 »

1. Some of us use Macs at Work and Linux at Home. On standard keyboards, the Winkey subs for the essential command key in Mac-land. On Linux, the Winkey generally provides your system and program search bar. So given this, the two OS's of choice for the hacker-minded..... How in the heck is the HHKB winkeyless layout making a happy hacker?

2. Once going programmable 60% keyboard for doing programming work, it would be hard to go back as switching and doing everything from a small keyboard with just a few keystrokes is pure heaven.

3. I actually LIKE the Matias Quiet Click switches (as do my coworkers)

4. Topre and similar switches feel like mushing into a silicone ball filled with water (kinda feel like I am penetrating the key somehow and I am a chick).

5. Why are there not more 60%+Numpad combo keyboards and none without the function keys? It would be so slim and useful.

6. Gaterons are the best of the MX style switches at the moment

7. I love SA and Cherry.... hate DSA

8. Why does no one make SA PBT keycaps????? I feel like I constantly have to make a choice!

9. Even thick ABS is not as good as Medium PBT, sorry guys... figure out how to build some real grit into the molds and much will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2015, 10:47:56 by childofthehorn »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1075 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 14:51:43 »
8. Why does no one make SA PBT keycaps????? I feel like I constantly have to make a choice!
Let's see, what this project will bring: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hi-profile-pbt-dye-sub-the-time-has-come-t10805.html
 ;)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #1076 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:36:41 »
Topre's are no better than the best Rubber Domes.

Alternatively Topre's are amongst the best of Rubber Domes.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1077 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 17:04:51 »

First of all, this is ridiculous, because of what Leslieann said.  The winkey is a very useful key to have.  HOWEVER, it's also a useless complaint about the HHKB, because the HHKB has dip switches that give you a winkey.  So it doesn't lack one anyway.   :rolleyes:

You guys have it wrong.

Win+e = Windows Explorer
Win+R = run command
And probably 20 others.

All that said, I still love winkeyless boards.  Just reprogram right Alt to winkey and  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
« Reply #1078 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 17:36:29 »
All that said, I still love winkeyless boards.  Just reprogram right Alt to winkey and  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

^  Hoff is smart.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1079 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 18:46:43 »

^  Hoff is smart.
That's a good idea, I might start putting that on ralt.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1080 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:09:30 »
Oh my! :eek:

*runs off to alter keyboard plans*
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
« Reply #1081 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:22:03 »

^  Hoff is smart.

That and reprogramming caps to ctrl are my two must haves on all my boards.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:24:47 »
Oh my! :eek:

*runs off to alter keyboard plans*

I can't tell if I've scared you away with some sacrilegious practice or convinced you to do the same to your boards!   :))

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1083 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:31:57 »
^  Hoff is smart.

Is this an unpopular opinion?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1084 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:32:49 »
I can't tell if I've scared you away with some sacrilegious practice or convinced you to do the same to your boards!   :))
Running off to alter mine that way, it's a fantastic solution.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1085 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:35:52 »

^  Hoff is smart.

Is this an unpopular opinion?

Running off to alter mine that way, it's a fantastic solution.

Oh, well great!  :)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:40:56 »

^  Hoff is smart.

It's not rAlt, it's called AltGr.

oh I forget dummy english language use like 40 total characters :>
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1087 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:42:03 »
shut up frenchie

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1088 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:42:04 »

^  Hoff is smart.

:<>

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1089 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:51:09 »
shut up frenchie

Could you please stop insulting my country, it is becoming really hurtfull lately.

^  Hoff is smart.

:<>

:=>
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1090 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:57:04 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1091 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 02:00:03 »
J'aime la langue. C'est cool.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1092 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 02:33:22 »
VIVA LA FRANCE

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #1093 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 07:26:41 »
The Ducky Mini is one of the ugliest keyboards I have ever seen.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1094 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 07:37:19 »
The Ducky Mini is one of the ugliest keyboards I have ever seen.
Show Image

I had one for a while - didn't really like it and sold it.

Lack of programmability is a killer.

The mouse functionality however is pretty cool and I'd like to see it on more boards

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #1095 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:11:36 »
They keep saying on Reddit that geekhack is a clique-ish place. I just want to know how to A) infiltrate the inner circle a la Mean Girls; and B) get a custom title.

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #1096 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:18:53 »
I think demik should have been banned in the GH 60 thread, not Glissant.

;D

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1097 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:24:55 »
They keep saying on Reddit that geekhack is a clique-ish place. I just want to know how to A) infiltrate the inner circle a la Mean Girls; and B) get a custom title.
If you PM a mod and ask very nicely you can get a custom title :)

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1098 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 13:30:42 »
My custom title would say something about space cats :)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #1099 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 14:28:55 »
If you PM a mod and ask very nicely you can get a custom title :)

Time to grovel