Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268605 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1150 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:59:04 »

I think Kishsaver looks ugly as ****

Wait... this is unpopular?

I love how they look, the giant vintage stuff is cool. It's why I still use a G80-3700.
Yeah, best looking numpad by far

The proportions are just right, ya know? It's hard to make one look bad.

Just look at it!

106875-0
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1151 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 23:27:56 »
I bet you get clothes to look good and not to protect yourselves from the weather too. Wtf is wrong with you people? /s
Good thing I went to reply to this and saw that /s lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1152 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:02:54 »
I think a lot of the IBM vintage boards look good, but some of them just look awful.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1153 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:04:57 »
Gon keyboards are unnecessarily priced. All his boards are just glorified plates.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1154 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:39:41 »
I'd rather put a dead rat on my desk than one of those ergonomic monstrosities.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1155 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:52:25 »
Ergodox is pretty small, are you talking about a G80-5000?

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1156 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 10:49:22 »
Ergodox is pretty small, are you talking about a G80-5000?
Pretty much any of them, even the rat-sized variety. I just think they're *really* ugly.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1157 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 10:59:59 »
The Ergodox is horribly ugly.  I also don't get the point of an ergonomic keyboard without a negative slope and without built in tenting. 

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1158 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 11:02:00 »

I think the only IBM boards worth getting are Model Fs; however, all Model F keyboards have a horrible layout.

Thank you.  I agree with this statement for the most part.  However, Model M's are definitely better than most everything available currently.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 11:05:09 by Snowdog993 »

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #1159 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 11:02:11 »
Gon keyboards are unnecessarily priced. All his boards are just glorified plates.

Topre is glorified rubber and also costs a lot...

(I still love you, Topre).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1160 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 11:39:38 »

I think the only IBM boards worth getting are Model Fs; however, all Model F keyboards have a horrible layout.

Thank you.  I agree with this statement for the most part.  However, Model M's are definitely better than most everything available currently.

I just can't get behind Model Ms.  They've all felt lackluster to me.  Orange, Cream, Green, Salmon, and Blue Alps and the HHKB are way better, IMO.  It's a wash with stock MX, at least with linear and tactile, Blues and Greens just suck. Modded linear and tactile MX switches are better though.

Of course, I don't care for clicky keyboards, so I already have that against the Model M.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1161 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 12:09:23 »

I just can't get behind Model Ms.  They've all felt lackluster to me.  Orange, Cream, Green, Salmon, and Blue Alps and the HHKB are way better, IMO.  It's a wash with stock MX, at least with linear and tactile, Blues and Greens just suck. Modded linear and tactile MX switches are better though.

Of course, I don't care for clicky keyboards, so I already have that against the Model M.

I don't quite understand the meaning of what you just stated.  If you don't care much for clicky keyboards, but adore the Model F, *which can be more clicky than any Model M; (especially with the solenoid) you are contradicting everything you say about IBM clicky keyboards to begin with.

Maybe you just have a "vintage" care about the Model F, (which I understand), but that just solidifies what I mean about the Model M.

I am just trying to sort through your contradictions Nubbinator.  No matter how I look at it, you seem to have opposite to what you say in the past as compared to what you are saying now.

I said that Model F keyboards are clumsy and awkward.  I still believe that, and you affirmed it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1162 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 12:57:20 »
I don't like clicky keyboards, but the Model F actually feels pleasant to type on.  You can differentiate between feel and sound and your particular dislikes on one spectrum can be overcome by likes on others.  In fact, almost all decisions are ones of contradictory tastes where you don't like certain things, but the overall feel/taste/sight/etc outweighs the negative.  The feel of the switches and the sturdiness and heft of Model Fs outweigh my dislike for clicky switches.  Model Ms just feel like cheap toys to me.  Coupled with the clickiness it makes fit a board I don't care for in the least.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1163 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:16:28 »
I don't like clicky keyboards, but the Model F actually feels pleasant to type on.  You can differentiate between feel and sound and your particular dislikes on one spectrum can be overcome by likes on others.  In fact, almost all decisions are ones of contradictory tastes where you don't like certain things, but the overall feel/taste/sight/etc outweighs the negative.  The feel of the switches and the sturdiness and heft of Model Fs outweigh my dislike for clicky switches.  Model Ms just feel like cheap toys to me.  Coupled with the clickiness it makes fit a board I don't care for in the least.

Wow, dude—if you aren't a lawyer or a politician, you're missing a tremendous opportunity.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #1164 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 10:56:09 »

I grew up learning how to type on a Model M, and thus as a result I gravitated away from all buckling spring boards and preferred rubber domes for many years afterwards.  Why anyone would want one of those annoying cheap feeling keyboards is beyond me.  Ive never tried a Model F though.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #1165 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 21:37:57 »
I don't like any cherry switches. their travel is too long and the non linear ones don't feel anywhere near as good when actuating compared to a buckling spring. I'm typing this on a mx green board....

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #1166 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 06:33:33 »
i dont really like clacks
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1167 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 07:43:59 »
I think boards where all the function keys are swapped with artisans looks childish. If there's more than 2 maybe 3 artisans than it's too much.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1168 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:29:02 »
I think boards where all the function keys are swapped with artisans looks childish. If there's more than 2 maybe 3 artisans than it's too much.

1 is too much. If I wanted my keyboard to look like a gumball toy machine threw up all over it I'd just save the money and glue literal garbage to the keys.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1169 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:34:41 »

1 is too much. If I wanted my keyboard to look like a gumball toy machine threw up all over it I'd just save the money and glue literal garbage to the keys.

2-3 was me being generous haha, I don't own any artisans and I don't plan on it, I'd much rather have a collection of key sets than artisans.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1170 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:35:35 »
This seems unpopular right now, but I like how the colors for TA turned out.  Wish I'd bought in now.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1171 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:46:25 »
This seems unpopular right now, but I like how the colors for TA turned out.  Wish I'd bought in now.

you should be able to get a set from someone then :)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1172 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:48:05 »

I wouldn't say it's unpopular but users being misinformed. Everybody had their own perspective on what they thought TA truly was while looking at a 30 year old yellowed TA set through an un-calibrated monitor. The images on Massdrop were also highly doctored as well so people were expecting a set that doesn't exist. Like Intelli said the modifiers teal is pretty spot on in normal lighting but the only thing that he would even think about changing would be to slightly dim down the color of the alphas. Overall Intelli did a fantastic job and he's on the receiving end of a bunch of unnecessary whining about part of the production and shipping that was out of his control. These were custom colors that GMK has never dealt with before, there has been no other group buy like the TA one so it was a learning experience for everybody.

Offline Clessiah

« Reply #1173 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:58:51 »
I find Logitech G910's keycaps to be a legit attempt of improvement over traditional keycaps.

Offline dutC4

« Reply #1174 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:54:01 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 16:17:41 by dutC4 »

Offline fishcola

« Reply #1175 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:54:30 »
I haven't tried the 910's new switches, but the "gaming theming to the maxxx" is a big turnoff, probably to others as well.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1176 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 21:06:01 »
Has anyone even tried that G910 at all?  Is there a legitimate review on it?  I do know that it does have a 2 year warranty on it.  Hmm.  I suppose if I had a choice between a Razer and the Logitech, I'd pick the Logitech.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1177 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 21:25:20 »
TKL is the least practical standard layout.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1178 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 22:48:47 »
TKL is the least practical standard layout.

40% begs to disagree.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1179 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 22:51:14 »
40% are novelties
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1180 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:02:00 »
stock greetech is better than stock cherry

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #1181 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:04:05 »
****loard is the best Korean custom

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1182 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:17:14 »
I do not get the hype of other switches. Gaterons are nice, but I will take my vintage blacks over them. I haven't tried greetech, but they don't have any thing special, unlike gateron.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1183 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:22:07 »
I do not get the hype of other switches. Gaterons are nice, but I will take my vintage blacks over them. I haven't tried greetech, but they don't have any thing special, unlike gateron.
Apples to oranges. There's hype because the stock of one is better than the stock of the other.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #1184 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 23:50:50 »

Which of the tactile alps you find best? Which has the most pronounce bump? Just curious as I am real keen on trying those switches.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1185 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 00:05:40 »
Brown or tactile Green have the biggest bump, but Oranges are the ones I like the best.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #1186 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:19:51 »
I hate the way GMK keycaps feel.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1187 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:23:56 »
I hate the way GMK keycaps feel.

same!
I love Elzy

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1188 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:11:13 »
What is the growing trend towards keyboards that have just blanks on them?  I suppose it does give them a "clean" look, but sort of makes it hard to find your way around sometimes.
I do touch type, and I can get along without legends if I have the F and J keys for indexing.  However, I think I am opposite to the "blank" keys.

I would rather find keyboards with nice legends.  The problem is, a lot of new keyboards just have decals or legends that leave a lot to be desired, and maybe that's why people are buying more sets with no legends at all.

Maybe in the future.  Who knows?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1189 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:17:37 »
What is the growing trend towards keyboards that have just blanks on them?  I suppose it does give them a "clean" look, but sort of makes it hard to find your way around sometimes.
I do touch type, and I can get along without legends if I have the F and J keys for indexing.  However, I think I am opposite to the "blank" keys.

I would rather find keyboards with nice legends.  The problem is, a lot of new keyboards just have decals or legends that leave a lot to be desired, and maybe that's why people are buying more sets with no legends at all.

Lately it has a lot to do with the gateron blanks, 2 different GB, MassDrop and Shadovved. It looks clean and when I personnaly prefer a blank to a wrong legend key.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1190 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:21:22 »

this is not really 'new' in the hobbyist scene and nice legends will never die out.
i am pretty convinced that if you don't give yourself the opportunity to look at your legends, you'll get used to it a lot faster than you may expect. also in my it gives the added benefit of people in my office not using my computer (in addition to running a /g/ style linux setup, it's pretty imposing to most folks... dont touch my stuff plebs).

it definitely has something to do with the look though, you're right about that. but there are other reasons.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1191 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:28:00 »
What are vintage blacks anyways? I got a pile of them and almost every switch feels different, some feel smooth, some feel like new blacks. My Gaterons feel as good as the smooth Cherry blacks I got and this is consistent for every switch.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1192 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:31:19 »
i am pretty convinced that if you don't give yourself the opportunity to look at your legends, you'll get used to it a lot faster than you may expect.
Damn numberrow is my worst enemy! >:D

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1193 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 04:37:44 »
i am pretty convinced that if you don't give yourself the opportunity to look at your legends, you'll get used to it a lot faster than you may expect.

I stopped because for this very reason, number row is a bish
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1194 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:16:15 »

this is not really 'new' in the hobbyist scene and nice legends will never die out.
i am pretty convinced that if you don't give yourself the opportunity to look at your legends, you'll get used to it a lot faster than you may expect. also in my it gives the added benefit of people in my office not using my computer (in addition to running a /g/ style linux setup, it's pretty imposing to most folks... dont touch my stuff plebs).

it definitely has something to do with the look though, you're right about that. but there are other reasons.

Yeah, blanks have been popular for quite awhile.  And for exactly the reasons sth outlined.  Aesthetics and the fun of confusing people.  :P  I'm not a fan of them on my own boards, but I do love the pics.   ^-^

Offline nephiel

« Reply #1195 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:19:19 »

It's also harder and more expensive to get keycaps for non-english layouts.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1196 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:03:55 »

I stopped because for this very reason, number row is a bish

number row in case when writing strong passwords, that **** sux ballz

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1197 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:40:50 »
thankfully starcraft has trained me to be 99% proficient with the number row.
I love Elzy

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #1198 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:20:19 »

Which picture(s) are you basing this on? I don't think I've seen an accurate representation of the colours anywhere.  Very hard to capture it would seem.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1199 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:35:37 »

Which picture(s) are you basing this on? I don't think I've seen an accurate representation of the colours anywhere.  Very hard to capture it would seem.
Indeed, many pictures were off with the mods being either too blue or too teal. Also, in almost any pictures, the Alphas look white, which they aren't.

I think the most accurate shot was posted by techmattr:
This is why I keep my D50 around. No CMOS censor is as color accurate as the old school CCD sensors.

Color calibrated U2410. Shot RAW with neutral profile. No editing. Saved as png. The file uploaded to imgur doesn't perfectly match the local file I have in Photoshop but it is really close. The file in Photoshop I can hold the keycap up to the screen and it matches as close as my eyes can tell.

Show Image

Edit:
It seems imgur plays more nicely with jpg. These two shots are identical on my local PC. The jpg below is the accurate one.

Show Image

Especially the Alpha keys look on point.