Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268626 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1250 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 07:46:42 »
Most sculpted artisans are ugly. Blanks are beautiful.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1251 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:19:31 »
I'm not using a 30 year old PC, or even a 5 year old PC. I can get the same, or similar typing experience I've had in the past 20 years from a new board just as well as an old one. I don't think asking for a modern option for connecting my input devices is asking a lot.

To be fair though, no one is saying you have to stick with a PS/2 connection just because that is what came with the board originally. I use an SSK at home, and it uses a USB cable. Sure as hell didn't come that way from the factory! I have the original PS/2 cable as well, in the event I need it. As for a more complex switch, like taking a terminal board and converting it, the challenge is part of the appeal. Some people like to tinker with with things and make them their own. I can understand that isn't for everyone.  Older boards can give you a totally different typing experience. Is it tinged with a bit of nostalgia? Sure, but I think that is part of the experience.

As for unpopular opinions, I think keysets like Dolch and Classic Beige are boring as hell. They have their place, and they do look timeless and classic and all that, but there is no excitement to it at all.
yeah im real ****ing tired of all things dolch.

dolch this dolch that.

rehashing same keysets over and over.

ffs let it go already.
Agreed dolch is boreing but that said Inlike Olivetti just because of the blue, anything and everything beige can go away it's a horrible colour and I don't understand why people like it so much .-.

On the case of micro vs mini they both suck I would rather have a USB A or B connector now that would be nice!
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline spectre

« Reply #1252 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 10:44:58 »
People who use anything bigger than a 60% should use the mouse on the left side, to distribute better the inputs between the hands.
Its super easy, after two weeks its natural. Or maybe the fact that I'm ambidextrous helps me a lot, but everyone should try at least.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1253 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:04:33 »
People who use anything bigger than a 60% should use the mouse on the left side, to distribute better the inputs between the hands.
Its super easy, after two weeks its natural. Or maybe the fact that I'm ambidextrous helps me a lot literally makes this at all viable
FTFY
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1254 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:18:45 »
I think that having a 100% keyboard is just fine.  You actually save 4" if you have an SSK, but you forego the numpad.  So, you get a new numpad that takes up another 4" of space to make up for it.
In my opinion, all you are doing is sacrificing what you need for a little more space.
The solution may be getting a 4" wider desk.  You can also tier, which I have mentioned but nobody does that anymore.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1255 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:25:40 »
The problem with full size keyboards isn't the size, it's the ergonomics.  If the num pad was on the left, most problems would be solved.

Offline spectre

« Reply #1256 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:27:09 »
Its super easy, after two weeks its natural. Or maybe the fact that I'm ambidextrous helps me a lot literally makes this at all viable
FTFY

Invert the mouse buttons and try it. It will all make sense  :D

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1257 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:27:52 »
FTFY

it still feels like I'm controlling the mouse with my foot
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1258 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:29:44 »
FTFY

Thats actually an even better idea. Foot mice.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline spectre

« Reply #1259 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:35:53 »
I don't just flip my spacebar. I flip my whole bottom row.

I flip the arrow and WASD keys to the "centre", so it looks like a little dome, and fells nice when gaming.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1260 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:41:15 »
I'm bored having my keyboard , on the table and just being pressed over and over again
can't we do anything else with it?

If you buy a heavier keyboard....say a KMAC or an IBM, you could do some light weight lifting with it in your home.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #1261 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 00:12:25 »
I'm bored having my keyboard , on the table and just being pressed over and over again
can't we do anything else with it?

If you buy a heavier keyboard....say a KMAC or an IBM, you could do some light weight lifting with it in your home.

If you have a laptop from before laptop anorexia became fashionable, put it in your backpack and take a walk :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1262 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 09:15:03 »
unpopular opinion: light keyboards don't feel cheap, heavy keyboards feel overpriced
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1263 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 06:03:52 »
Another one of mine: I can't understand the obsession with buying keysets. To me, the fun is in building and tinkering with a board, buying a keyset is just making a purchase, there's nothing interesting about that, no matter how good it looks.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline spectre

« Reply #1264 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 07:52:40 »
FTFY

Now just give it two weeks :D

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1265 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 11:51:21 »
Another one of mine: I can't understand the obsession with buying keysets. To me, the fun is in building and tinkering with a board, buying a keyset is just making a purchase, there's nothing interesting about that, no matter how good it looks.

It's a fleeting pursuit of novelty. In my experience, you get the feeling of having something exciting and new, and then a couple weeks later it seems "boring" and you're back to looking at more keysets. Having moved to Topre, I kind of think the paucity of keycap options might actually be a good thing.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1266 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 12:06:07 »

It's a fleeting pursuit of novelty. In my experience, you get the feeling of having something exciting and new, and then a couple weeks later it seems "boring" and you're back to looking at more keysets. Having moved to Topre, I kind of think the paucity of keycap options might actually be a good thing.
It this vein, I prefer building my boards to look interesting, because that gives me a lasting feeling of achievement in the cool-ness of their appearance, and then I stick with simple, complimentary, high quality keysets.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #1267 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 22:05:08 »
Filco is overrated.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1268 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 22:24:28 »
Filco is overrated.

That would have been edgy like 4 years ago.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #1269 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 23:13:32 »
Cherry MX Clears feel like stiff rubber domes with long key travel

Offline nephiel

« Reply #1270 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 02:57:20 »
Hard wrist rests. I don't even.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1271 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 08:45:25 »
This isn't even edgy anymore, but Cherry-branded switches suck.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1272 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 09:02:05 »

Maybe if you said Gateron sucked

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1273 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 09:44:39 »

Maybe if you said Gateron sucked
Well yeah, I'm saying the opposite. Cherry brand suck, not Cherry footprint in general
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline samhwang

« Reply #1274 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 02:03:48 »
Although Cherry is getting behind the competition nowadays, particularly Gaterons, I would say that Cherry is still viable in the long run.

This is based on mostly my feelings (and a friend's). When he opened up the switches, he said that the copper leaf on the Gaterons are much thinner and the copper notch or crosspoint on the gaterons is also thinner as well. (no pics right now since it was a random discussion)

TL;DR: IMO, the Cherry MX clones will definitely die out comparing to the original Cherry MX in the long run.

Offline invisuu

« Reply #1275 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 02:31:16 »
The stock anti grip feet are perfect on the HHKB, because it's lightweight I can adjust it's position a lot which I do frequently anyway and it's easier to do on HHKB than any other board I ever used so far.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #1276 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 03:04:10 »
worn in vintage clears are better than ergo clears

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline logomachy

« Reply #1277 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 06:12:05 »
They're unwieldy and deprecated. Mine have all been repurposed as "desk furniture." And I only plug them in to turn on the LEDs.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1278 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:25:29 »
What's the point of non aluminum keyboard case :(

Al is much much better, pc case too...
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1279 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:27:27 »

Agreed, unless you want bottom/side lighting.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1280 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:36:12 »

What's the point of aluminum keyboard case
it just a keyboard

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1281 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:54:34 »
it just a keyboard
Truer words have never been spoken in all of Geekhack.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #1282 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:59:23 »

I didn't realize this was the edgy thread.

Offline dutC4

« Reply #1283 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:04:01 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 16:15:53 by dutC4 »

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #1284 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:05:34 »

I didn't realize this was the edgy thread.
its just a keyboard -written on my 250 dollar hhkb that was produced for twelve dollars

Outfitted with $20 a piece custom keycaps.

In all honesty, the cable for my filco broke and im too lazy to fix it atm so i went out and bought a $6 keyboard from walmart.

.....theres no difference.

Let the hate flow in.

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #1285 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 21:52:57 »
Late to the party and a relative newb/lurker but I'll have a go:

1.  "Touch typing" only means that you can type without looking at your keyboard.  It has NOTHING to do with whether or not you bottom out.  It doesn't mean you're gently caressing the keys on each down stroke as you would a virgin lover.

2.  Everyone talking about how not bottoming out is the pinnacle of typing are just part of a misinformed cult who actually don't type for a living and therefore can spend their time "perfecting" their actuation distance rather than banging out lots of text efficiently.

3. People who say that MX reds are too light, complain about increased mistakes when typing on reds and say that keys frequently get depressed on accident when resting their fingers on the keys just never learned how to type properly.

4.  If you don't know how to touch type at least 45 WPM, you treat mechanical keyboards as a weird fetish object rather than liking them for actual utilitarian reasons like durability and ergonomics.

5. The Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard is more ergonomic than any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard, even with its crappy scissor switch membrane keys.

;D

Offline dutC4

« Reply #1286 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 23:00:05 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 16:16:04 by dutC4 »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1287 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 00:25:26 »

i love this dell keyboard

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #1288 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 11:16:35 »
Show Image

Yas.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1289 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:17:27 »
Show Image

Why?  I could probably get a bunch of them at the Outlet nearby for really cheap if I wanted.  I never liked those keyboards.  The Keytronic I have is better than that thing.  Ugh!  Are you serious?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1290 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:19:48 »
Show Image

Why?  I could probably get a bunch of them at the Outlet nearby for really cheap if I wanted.  I never liked those keyboards.  The Keytronic I have is better than that thing.  Ugh!  Are you serious?

it has all the keys i need, doesn't feel terrible, all keys are in normal size, and it is cheap

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1291 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:22:01 »
Show Image

it has all the keys i need, doesn't feel terrible, all keys are in normal size, and it is cheap

True, it is cheap.  You won't have any legends on it after a while.  It feels like a, well, rubberdome keyboard.

Edit: I had to make an addendum to this comment.  I have used these in the past, and I can tell you from personal experience that after a period of time, not only do you lose your legends, but then keys will stop registering, *ESPECIALLY* on the number row.  It is flimsy, flexes terribly, and has lousy feedback after using it for a while.  I'm sorry, but I really had to make a comment before more people actually find these things to be "great" keyboards.  They are anything but.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:31:15 by Snowdog993 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1292 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:31:21 »
ಠ_ಠ
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1293 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 16:52:09 »
it is cheap
The chief concern of Geekhackers everywhere
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1294 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 17:00:22 »
Show Image

True, it is cheap.  You won't have any legends on it after a while.  It feels like a, well, rubberdome keyboard.

Edit: I had to make an addendum to this comment.  I have used these in the past, and I can tell you from personal experience that after a period of time, not only do you lose your legends, but then keys will stop registering, *ESPECIALLY* on the number row.  It is flimsy, flexes terribly, and has lousy feedback after using it for a while.  I'm sorry, but I really had to make a comment before more people actually find these things to be "great" keyboards.  They are anything but.

:)) They are great keyboard for me, I know, probably just for me. 
I have used mine for around 5 years and it is still working perfectly.  The alpha legends are all disappeared, luckily most of the number row keys still have legend on it.  The feeling have changed compare to 5 years ago, but it doesn't feel too bad.  But yeah, I think most people think it feels like ****.

Offline cheebs

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1295 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 17:18:46 »
The problem with full size keyboards isn't the size, it's the ergonomics.  If the num pad was on the left, most problems would be solved.

It's not ergonomic, though (for me).  Maybe if you're playing a game?  Do you always have your hand on the mouse when you're computing?  I have mine on the keyboard.  I've seen no such "ergonomic" benefits from using a TKL keyboard.  60% is enough to make a significant difference, I think.  I like 60% mostly for portability and dramatically increased desk space, though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 17:24:10 by cheebs »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1296 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 19:03:12 »
Vintage Cherry boards look nicer than most new boards, including a good portion of kustoms.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1297 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 19:55:03 »
Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think DSA Dolch may be genuinely one of the worst keycap sets ever.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #1298 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 20:39:21 »
one needs at most two keyboards. three is the limit for any sane person.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1299 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 20:40:52 »
Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think DSA Dolch may be genuinely one of the worst keycap sets ever.

Not sure about the Dolch part but DSA in general is definitely not for me..