Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268657 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1300 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 20:42:33 »
Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think DSA Dolch may be genuinely one of the worst keycap sets ever.

Not sure about the Dolch part but DSA in general is definitely not for me..
I agree, I find basically all DSA sets nasty, with the exception of probably valentine.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1301 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 21:51:42 »
DSA seems appealing to an extent, but not appealing enough. There's almost an equal amount of attraction and repulsion I have when it comes to DSA.

As far as unpopular opinions? Alps SKCM/L switches are far better than any Cherry MX switch and things would've been a lot more amazing to see Alps as the paradigm over Cherry MX.

Don't get me wrong; I like Cherry MX, but after trying Alps complicated switches, it's hard to really care as much for them.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1302 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 22:07:57 »
As far as unpopular opinions? Alps SKCM/L switches are far better than any Cherry MX switch and things would've been a lot more amazing to see Alps as the paradigm over Cherry MX.
Not as an unpopular opinion as you'd think. In fact I wouldn't call it one at all, there are tons of people that swear by alps. The problem is most people haven't tried them so they can't make an informed decision one way or the other
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline E3E

« Reply #1303 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 22:13:13 »
Not as an unpopular opinion as you'd think. In fact I wouldn't call it one at all, there are tons of people that swear by alps. The problem is most people haven't tried them so they can't make an informed decision one way or the other

That's a good point, my good sir. Though I'd say that it's at least not a popular opinion, but more so based out of obscurity than anything negative, pretty much like you said. The accessibility when it comes to having an Alps keyboard is very limited these days. Either vintages, Matias, or GB-limited keyboards like the Infinity and certain customs.

The world needs more Alps love.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1304 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 22:16:21 »

That's a good point, my good sir. Though I'd say that it's at least not a popular opinion, but more so based out of obscurity than anything negative, pretty much like you said. The accessibility when it comes to having an Alps keyboard is very limited these days. Either vintages, Matias, or GB-limited keyboards like the Infinity and certain customs.

Although luckily for alps lovers it seems as thought there's been a conscious effort made to accommodate them, with boards that have alps support. Wouldn't be surprised to see even more in the future

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline E3E

« Reply #1305 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 22:18:11 »

Although luckily for alps lovers it seems as thought there's been a conscious effort made to accommodate them, with boards that have alps support. Wouldn't be surprised to see even more in the future

Yeah, I'm really happy to see that and glad that I decided to step into the Alps game at just the right time. Hearing all those typing videos with blue alps is what did it for me. Heavenly.  ^-^

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1306 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:08:59 »
In 99.9% of applications, backlighting is hideous and makes keyboards look like the desktop equivalent of

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1307 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:10:27 »
In 99.9% of applications, backlighting is hideous and makes keyboards look like the desktop equivalent of

Show Image

where'd u get a picture of my ride
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1308 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:18:38 »
Wrapped alphas cause cancer
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1309 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:20:25 »

Show Image

I can understand backlighting for the keys for people who actually need to look down in the dark. I don't hate on people who cannot type.

I cannot understand underlighting or whatever you want to call it like that car has.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1310 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 14:23:24 »

Show Image

I can understand backlighting for the keys for people who actually need to look down in the dark. I don't hate on people who cannot type.

I cannot understand underlighting or whatever you want to call it like that car has.

answer: rice
I love Elzy

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #1311 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 18:56:16 »
3 and 2 I mostly agree with... but the layout of HHKB is sort of personal preference. I personally don't like it.
60% boards + numpad is the way to go in regards to #1 IMO. then you get arrow keys + other keys for productivity, and numbers if you are into that.
and you can just put it away if you need the space more. but the main reason I guess is because I have my mouse + kb quite close to one another, and prefer space on the right side of the kb.
so it just feels nicer on the left side.

1. I cannot stand 60% boards either, I don't think they look attractive what so ever and although using a HHKB was an enjoyable experience, I couldn't ever use it as my daily driver.

2. I don't like TKL boards, I think they're too big, but I'm currently forcing myself to change because of bad past experiences with 75% boards.

3. I don't think the HHKB is over-rated per say, but I do think they're a bit overpriced.

4. I cannot stand blank keycaps, I think they are a waste of money and just do not look that appealing/attractive to me. (I'm currently using Leopold stealth keys, side printed keycaps essentially and I can only just tolerate using these).

5. I think a lot of these esc key replacements, the gas masks, the helmets and all that kind of stuff are just repulsive and why someone would want to put that on their keyboard in the first place is beyond me.

1.  I thought they were freaking stupid until I broke down and bought one.  My elbow, neck and shoulders thank me.   I thought I would really miss the number pad and arrows, but as long as there is a Fn button on the left side the arrows are just as easy to use.  Some boards like the v60 have an option to use the Shift, alt, ctrl cluster as arrow keys if that's a necessity.

2. I originally wanted something like a Race 2 or Keycool 84.  They are roughly 0.75" longer and wider than 60% boards.  However, they just have this cluttered look, less aesthetic.  If you are gonna make the sacrifice for the smaller board you may as well just get the 60% IMHO.

3.  I wonder if Topre switch use became more widespread if HH would lower the price to be more competitive.

4.  I love the look of blank keycaps or "Ninja" or "Stealth."  The ugliest thing is when the symbols are in stark contrast with the keycap color and large.  The Cooler Master Storm Quickfire comes to mind.  It's nice when the symbol color is close in color to the keys.  The only problem I would have with blank keycaps is don't know if I could drink a soda and type at the same time and find a key with one finger.

5.  I agree these are absolutely appalling.  I imagine they are not comfortable or ergonomic.  I think it's about personalizing your board.  Everybody and their mother may have V60 keyboard and these people want to be just a little bit different. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Data

« Reply #1312 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 08:58:56 »

Show Image

answer: rice

The rice is real, bro.  Embrace it.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1313 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 11:51:36 »

Show Image

Sure, but nobody needs ugly ass RGB pulsing **** to see their keys, and most backlit mechanical keyboards seem about 10x brighter than they need to be, with light pouring out of every orifice. Apple laptop keyboards do it just right -- the bare minimum amount of illumination needed to see the letters.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1314 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 11:58:58 »
Sure, but nobody needs ugly ass RGB pulsing **** to see their keys, and most backlit mechanical keyboards seem about 10x brighter than they need to be, with light pouring out of every orifice. Apple laptop keyboards do it just right -- the bare minimum amount of illumination needed to see the letters.

Agreed, a lot of boards have insane amounts of illumination, I think that just comes with the territory for computers and peripherals.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #1315 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 01:52:01 »
The worst thing about LEDs- especially on a keyboard- is that they're distracting and draw the eye away from the screen, especially when you're like me and you prefer to use your PC in the dark.

Even on the lowest brightness level my Poseidon Z's backlighting glares at the edge of my vision and really hurts my PC usage experience.
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1316 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 09:37:44 »
The worst thing about LEDs- especially on a keyboard- is that they're distracting and draw the eye away from the screen, especially when you're like me and you prefer to use your PC in the dark.

Even on the lowest brightness level my Poseidon Z's backlighting glares at the edge of my vision and really hurts my PC usage experience.
Yeah it's pretty much just a race to the most garish LEDs you can find. I'd much rather have something with a soft, even, white glow than incredibly bright rgb on each key

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1317 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 20:28:05 »
I don't ever actually look at my keyboard so my gon for example is more of a show off/conversation piece when I go to lans or whatever. My LZ has no leds but the 3 indicators, which is my primary board anyway. Sometimes it's nice to have some flashy **** laying around just for the sake of having it, doesn't matter to me if I don't ever see it
I love Elzy

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #1318 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 05:52:49 »
MX style keys are inferior scissor switches save their durability and customization. The keys travel too much.
Blues are the most annoying/overrated switch ever.
All keyboards should have numpad on the left side and if not, All keyboards should have 2 DIP switches for CapsLock to be Enter or disabled.
Quickfire TK damn good!
Dolch is a disease to be cleansed with fire.

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1319 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:03:35 »
I am not going to lie, ISO is a superior layout to ANSI as far as layout goes. The only downside IMO is the keycap compatibility.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:09:50 by sethk_ »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1320 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:06:23 »
I am not going to lie, ISO is a superior layout to ISO as far as layout goes. The only downside IMO is the keycap compatibility.
Heard it here folks. ISO beats ISO.

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1321 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:09:59 »
I am not going to lie, ISO is a superior layout to ISO as far as layout goes. The only downside IMO is the keycap compatibility.
Heard it here folks. ISO beats ISO.
fixed :P

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1322 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:38:44 »
I am not going to lie, ISO is a superior layout to ANSI as far as layout goes. The only downside IMO is the keycap compatibility.
Could you elaborate on why you feel this way? I'm thinking of going ISO just so I can use my OG Cherry QWERTZ set in its entirety, but I just can't get over that ridiculous looking enter key.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1323 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:53:27 »
Could you elaborate on why you feel this way? I'm thinking of going ISO just so I can use my OG Cherry QWERTZ set in its entirety, but I just can't get over that ridiculous looking enter key.
a tad bit more keys. It took me a few minutes to get used to the short lshift and the ISO enter, but I enjoy them more. Makes me feel like I have more keys. I have a French AZERTY layout and soon a QWERTZ layout coming. FWIW you don't have to actually make your board the way the keys are lol. Windows auto-works out the ISO layout. It just makes the 2 extra keys \|

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1324 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:57:56 »
FWIW you don't have to actually make your board the way the keys are lol. Windows auto-works out the ISO layout. It just makes the 2 extra keys \|
I know, but there's something pristine about using the whole set just the way it was meant to be used. I'm already planning on a tsangan bottom row just for that purpose.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #1325 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:08:59 »
FWIW you don't have to actually make your board the way the keys are lol. Windows auto-works out the ISO layout. It just makes the 2 extra keys \|
I know, but there's something pristine about using the whole set just the way it was meant to be used. I'm already planning on a tsangan bottom row just for that purpose.
yeah, wkl bottom layout it the best. But are you going to actually use it as qwertz?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1326 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 20:59:20 »
After seeing all the purist GMK GBs lately, this feels like an unpopular opinion: R5 profile is god awful and one of the few things you can do to immediately kill a GB in my eyes.

yeah, wkl bottom layout it the best. But are you going to actually use it as qwertz?

WKL is horrible if you actually use your OS to its potential.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1327 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 01:44:10 »
It's not like I told you guys thousand times that ISO is better.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1328 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:29:15 »
But are you going to actually use it as qwertz?
Sometimes, I'll be switching between QWERTZ and Dvorak depending on whether I'm typing English or German

WKL is horrible if you actually use your OS to its potential.
I totally agree with this actually, but I want the beauty of full Cherry doubleshots
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1329 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:42:48 »
Why no love for wkl but remapped os key to right alt?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1330 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:47:44 »
Works for ansi, ISO people generally need the right alt that is AltGr for us.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1331 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:53:04 »

forgot about isoland  :'(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1332 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:15:57 »

I like to be able to do one handed key combos. 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1333 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:19:40 »

Sounds like you need bigger hands.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1334 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:20:54 »

Sounds like you need bigger hands.

or smaller keyboards.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1335 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:52:09 »
what does altgr do in iso?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1336 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:24:32 »
what does altgr do in iso?

It's a third layer that can be accessed with AltGr or Ctrl+Alt, on Azerty it gets me the bottom right keys:

(I think you know this board  :p)

AltGr+3 give me #
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1337 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:51:16 »

I remapped mine to Scroll Lock. Useless key IMO. Works great.

I agree that i think ISO is an overall better seeming layout.

B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1338 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:58:28 »
Can anyone explain the superiority of ISO to me? I always thought ansi was better as the enter key is more reachable with the right pinky

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1339 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:17:41 »
Can anyone explain the superiority of ISO to me? I always thought ansi was better as the enter key is more reachable with the right pinky

I would not say that the ISO layout is superior to ANSI; instead, I would say that there are differences that change the way you use your keyboard. If you touch type, any change in the layout will demand you a learning curve; but, at the end, it may represent a slightly improved typing.

I am using now an ANSI layout with an ISO enter key, and I like it better than the original ANSI key; however, as you referred, the movement to reach the enter key is a little bit longer using ISO; but, for the same reason, it is more precise, at least in my case. With the ANSI enter key, sometimes, I key in the enter instead of the accent. For now on, I will try to use the same mixed ANSI with an ISO key layout.

There is an interesting short note on ANSI vs ISO layout here. It is an interesting reading. But, that not change the fact the simple rule: your keyboard, your preferred layout, period.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1340 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:39:54 »
I would agree with ISO being a superior layout if more boards were NOT like this:

And were more like a hybrid of ANSI and ISO.

*i had an image, but it was more like ANSI. Basically, the left shift on ISO boards is too small for me to like it.

I just put my DSA set on my TKL. I don't find it quite as appealing as I do on a 60% board.

And just in case I haven't said this already, the right shift is too damn big. HHKB layouts solve this somewhat...but still.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:43:14 by jerue »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1341 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:43:33 »
This is what I am using, an ANSI w/ISO enter layout.

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #1342 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 19:15:22 »
Hyperfuse didn't live up to the hype, the mod legends are too hard to read.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1343 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:23:45 »
This is really more of a keycap complaint, but people, seriously chill out with the SA sets (both interest checks and GBs). These will become the new DSA in no time if we keep seeing all of these sets. Maybe if there were more manufacturers making SA sets this wouldn't be as big of a deal, but it's annoying at the very least. At the rate things are going, GBs for sets will happen and it will be longer than ever before (Danger Zone is already set for Feb. 2016 next year - this is nuts for Massdrop standards)

Offline Data

« Reply #1344 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:33:44 »
LOL

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1345 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:34:05 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #1346 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 22:54:17 »
The vast majority of aftermarket key sets are not suitable for most office environments. All artisan caps are unsuitable to work keyboards.

Flame away :P

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1347 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 00:56:22 »
The vast majority of aftermarket key sets are not suitable for most office environments. All artisan caps are unsuitable to work keyboards.

idk, i have some katz blanks that are pretty classy looking.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1348 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 05:42:19 »

Except bronads which are suitable for even the strictest of workplaces  :))

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1349 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 07:02:59 »

Flame away
I would agree about artisans, but I think a lot of the recent GMK sets are professional enough, even Hyperfuse. And many SA sets (Hackd, Retro) are fine, too.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps