Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268659 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1350 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 07:17:25 »
The vast majority of aftermarket key sets are not suitable for most office environments. All artisan caps are unsuitable to work keyboards.

Flame away
I would agree about artisans, but I think a lot of the recent GMK sets are professional enough, even Hyperfuse. And many SA sets (Hackd, Retro) are fine, too.

Yeah I think that Hyperfuse has a classy look to it. I think the accent keys might be pushing it in some workplaces but does anyone here even work at a place where they have been told off for how their keyboard looks?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1351 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:13:14 »
The vast majority of aftermarket key sets are not suitable for most office environments. All artisan caps are unsuitable to work keyboards.

Flame away
Show Image

I would agree about artisans, but I think a lot of the recent GMK sets are professional enough, even Hyperfuse. And many SA sets (Hackd, Retro) are fine, too.

Yeah I think that Hyperfuse has a classy look to it. I think the accent keys might be pushing it in some workplaces but does anyone here even work at a place where they have been told off for how their keyboard looks?

I think is more like you do not want to have that kind of attention. In my case the small 60% I am using, even when it has an standard beige set on it, calls unwanted attention.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:26:04 »

Flame away :P

I tend to agree with this.  For me, WoB + a splash of color is ideal at work.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1353 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:33:44 »
For me, my biggest professional hangup is packaging. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at some of the envelope artwork you guys make around here, but I have everything delivered to the office because the commercial address usually gets things here a day earlier, plus then I don't have to worry about expensive goods sitting unattended on my front stoop all day. The only downside is potential funny looks from coworkers when stuff arrives with drawings on it. I'm still trying to figure out the balance there. Maybe I should get a PO box for keyboard stuff?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1354 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:37:04 »
For me, my biggest professional hangup is packaging. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at some of the envelope artwork you guys make around here, but I have everything delivered to the office because the commercial address usually gets things here a day earlier, plus then I don't have to worry about expensive goods sitting unattended on my front stoop all day. The only downside is potential funny looks from coworkers when stuff arrives with drawings on it. I'm still trying to figure out the balance there. Maybe I should get a PO box for keyboard stuff?

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have just the artisan caps sent to your home?  Those tend to be the only ones with drawings on the package.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #1355 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:37:44 »

Flame away
poor grooming or violating the dress code are one thing, but i honestly don't think there are any unspoken office rules regarding computer peripherals. personally speaking, i won't judge anyone for using a wacky looking keyboard or mouse, heck even beats get a pass from me

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1356 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:49:08 »

Flame away
poor grooming or violating the dress code are one thing, but i honestly don't think there are any unspoken office rules regarding computer peripherals. personally speaking, i won't judge anyone for using a wacky looking keyboard or mouse, heck even beats get a pass from me

Yeah the only problem is now I'm the "keyboard guy" at work and everyone always assumes that any package coming is automatically another keyboard. I don't think they mean badly about it all though and most people will ask me about them

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1357 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:58:25 »

Brought Bow 60% with CMYW + pink spacebar at school.
I was the guy with a pink keyboard from that point.
Before that the board was wearing blanks (how do you even type?).
My dyseubs where looked upon too.
Only keyset I put on that keyboard that didn't raise attention was Granite (until I put RGB mods on...).
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1358 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:58:59 »

Flame away
Show Image

Yeah the only problem is now I'm the "keyboard guy" at work and everyone always assumes that any package coming is automatically another keyboard. I don't think they mean badly about it all though and most people will ask me about them

Well said. Any similarity to reality is just coincidence.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1359 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:05:37 »

Brought Bow 60% with CMYW + pink spacebar at school.
I was the guy with a pink keyboard from that point.
Before that the board was wearing blanks (how do you even type?).
My dyseubs where looked upon too.
Only keyset I put on that keyboard that didn't raise attention was Granite (until I put RGB mods on...).

Haters be jelly of your cmyw goodness

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1360 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:20:18 »

Flame away

if we had a dress code i would be violating all three of these rules
but at least i dont smell bad when i 'forget' to shower
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #1361 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 12:18:33 »
I don't think most artisan keycaps would look out of place at work. I wouldn't go crazy with them though, you'd probably look a little childish.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1362 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 18:48:36 »
u guys think it'll be OK to take my gon to work?

KappaPride
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #1363 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:18:29 »

KappaPride

depends on what you do.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1364 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:19:51 »

KappaPride

depends on what you do.

i didn't get the job yet :P
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #1365 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:27:15 »

KappaPride

depends on what you do.

i didn't get the job yet
doesn't change my question

Offline jamster

« Reply #1366 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:14:46 »

Flame away

I personally like Hyperfuse, but in any 'serious', 'corporate' environment I wouldn't use it. It's not about being told off (which would take a pretty infantile management culture), it's about whether you want to be remembered as the guy with the rainbow keyboard, which is a couple of steps up to being the guy with the collection of troll dolls lined up on his desk.

Oddly enough, I had assumed that programmers and keyboard enthusiasts would have a big intersect. Somewhat disappointingly, this hasn't been what I have observed in real life. I'm surrounded by programmers, as are a couple of friends who are coders in other companies. Nobody seems to have an interest in mech boards at all. Sad.

Offline jamster

« Reply #1367 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:16:30 »

Flame away

Yeah, some of the GMK sets are discrete enough to get away with, I think.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1368 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:17:59 »
I personally like Hyperfuse, but in any 'serious', 'corporate' environment I wouldn't use it. It's not about being told off (which would take a pretty infantile management culture), it's about whether you want to be remembered as the guy with the rainbow keyboard, which is a couple of steps up to being the guy with the collection of troll dolls lined up on his desk.

If you work in an office where people would rather remember you for your keyboard than your work, maybe it's time to quit. Or stop caring what people think. Sounds like a ****ty culture. I personally don't give a **** and have used Valentine's at work.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1369 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:36:34 »
If you work in an office where people would rather remember you for your keyboard than your work, maybe it's time to quit. Or stop caring what people think. Sounds like a ****ty culture. I personally don't give a **** and have used Valentine's at work.

Yeah, that would suck... I mean, I'm known as "The Keyboard Guy" just because none of the other programmers had seen the kind of stuff I bring in. But everyone is more interested than anything. Hell the owner and another programmer have already taken the dive into mechanical keyboards.

They're even thinking about getting everyone wasd boards with keyswitches of their choice as standard equipment  ;D

And as for keysets, I've used hyperfuse and symbiosis on a regular basis. And when I get some custom boards done, you're damn right they're coming in with me to the office!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1370 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:38:27 »
More

Flame away

I'm the guy with Toki Doki Unicornos, Cactus Cats, and Smoking Bunnies at my desk.  My boss, supervisor, and co-workers all love them.  I'd rather be remembered as the guy who kicks ass at his job and knows how to relax and have fun than the guy who does his job well but is overly serious and uptight.  If you are effective and professional with clients and co-workers, who the hell cares what your workspace looks like...unless it's all Lisa Frank and Hannah Montanna when you're a dude.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:41:27 by nubbinator »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1371 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:39:26 »
what like smorkin labbits?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #1372 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:11:50 »
I'm the guy with Toki Doki Unicornos, Cactus Cats, and Smoking Bunnies at my desk.  My boss, supervisor, and co-workers all love them.  I'd rather be remembered as the guy who kicks ass at his job and knows how to relax and have fun than the guy who does his job well but is overly serious and uptight.  If you are effective and professional with clients and co-workers, who the hell cares what your workspace looks like...unless it's all Lisa Frank and Hannah Montanna when you're a dude.
agreed. if jamster finds out his cool yet serious boss uses a handerbeit set, would he think 'hehe rainbow and ponies what a ***'? no, he would think 'wow i didnt know this guy was into keyboards, definitely gonna ask him about it next time im in his office. what a kool guy!!'

just a matter of perception

Offline jamster

« Reply #1373 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:24:42 »
Yessss, I knew this was going to be unpopular :D

If my boss, who is probably the geekiest one I've ever had, ever saw unicorn vomit on my desk, he would heap **** on me, but he's a Brit and that's how Brits and Aussies operate :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:26:21 by jamster »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #1374 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:38:22 »
do brits and aussies have more in common with each other than with scots and welsh people?

just curious how that works

Offline jamster

« Reply #1375 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:42:42 »
Weeell, technical Scots and the Welsh *are* Brits. Albeit with funnier accents than usual.

Though I wouldn't push that point in a pub in either Scotland or Wales.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:46:19 by jamster »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1376 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:46:08 »
Yessss, I knew this was going to be unpopular :D

If my boss, who is probably the geekiest one I've ever had, ever saw unicorn vomit on my desk, he would heap **** on me, but he's a Brit and that's how Brits and Aussies operate :)
Woah woah woah don't go stereotyping me as a none rainbow vomit looking person just because I'm a Brit :I

FYI my boss is pretty chill about my keyboards he find them interesting thinking I'm wasting money but finds them interesting :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #1377 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:59:56 »
Though I wouldn't push that point in a pub in either Scotland or Wales.
this reminds me of a sports article i read once: "Andy Murray is only British when he's playing in Wimbledon"

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #1378 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:10:14 »
Sorry I'm still in love with Win+E Win+D Win+R Win+P  : P
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1379 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:12:16 »
Sorry I'm still in love with Win+E Win+D Win+R Win+P  : P

I feel like you're on a roll for posting to get somewhere, but I have to agree.  Win hotkeys are the ****.  It's why winkeyless sucks.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1380 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:04:06 »
Modern Selectric...

... looks ...

... not great.

Offline dutC4

« Reply #1381 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:05:05 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 16:09:07 by dutC4 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1382 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:15:45 »
  • I don't care about scoops/bars/nipples. Like at all.
  • I am simultaneously annoyed and entertained by the recent threadcrapping drama, but neither annoyed nor entertained to the point of action.
  • Massdrop seems to actually be trying to not suck as much lately.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1383 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:30:20 »
  • I am simultaneously annoyed and entertained by the recent threadcrapping drama, but neither annoyed nor entertained to the point of action.
Yeah, I have never had any issue with Massdrop. But then I am, and will never be, a vendor so will probably never experience their relationship between GB organiser and host.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1384 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:33:23 »
Yeah, I have never had any issue with Massdrop. But then I am, and will never be, a vendor so will probably never experience their relationship between GB organiser and host.

I still don't think I would ever run a buy through them. But the last couple of "drops" I've joined since GMK TA have all gone swimmingly, so far. I've got one of the items in-hand, and for the other two I've received notice that things are progressing slightly ahead of schedule. So really can't complain about that.

My boards:
More

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1385 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:35:12 »

Waiting patiently on my PBT Topre spacebars, and I have to say, so far the communication about the status has been really good.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1386 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:25:47 »
The Surface 2 Keyboard Cover isn't the worst keyboard I've ever used.

My boards:
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1387 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:42:03 »
I had a problem with MD once; it took some time to be sorted out, some unresponsive reps to deal with, some repeating and unattended emails; but, at the end, it was solved well. In the other hand, it seems, it is improving.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1388 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:58:57 »
1) The most common Cherry non-clicky switches suck, and feel inferior to rubber domes, because
2) Blacks and Reds are pointless - linear switches defeat the main purpose of using a mechanical keyboard, and
3) Browns are not tactile at all; more like linears with sand caught inside.

Only Blues/Greens are worth the money, and possibly Clears, which I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Also:
4) With a few exceptions, keyboards with multi coloured keycaps and LEDs look stupid.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1389 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:03:26 »
To counter that, MX Blues are vastly overrated.  I'd even go so far as to say they suck.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1390 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:14:10 »
To counter that, MX Blues are vastly overrated.  I'd even go so far as to say they suck.
Vintage blues, like in my Dolch PAC, are nice.

My boards:
More

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1391 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:31:34 »
1) The most common Cherry non-clicky switches suck, and feel inferior to rubber domes, because
2) Blacks and Reds are pointless - linear switches defeat the main purpose of using a mechanical keyboard, and

Only Blues/Greens are worth the money, and possibly Clears, which I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Also:
4) With a few exceptions, keyboards with multi coloured keycaps and LEDs look stupid.

I noticed one day while typing on MX Blues whilst listening to my IEMs that they actually felt a little different if I could not hear them clicking. To my own surprise, I found that the MX Browns actually feel more tactile than the Blues if you completely block out the sounds of typing. The click plays tricks with your brain. Not that it's relevant anyways since the click is certainly a large part of typing on Blues and will rarely be blocked out completely.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1392 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:48:26 »
Not really sure what you mean by "main purpose." Feedback? A mechanical keyboard is the only way you're going to be able to use a linear switch at all.

all new cherry switches are scratchy as hell, I'd rather have gateron or even greetech from my short experience with gree. Vintage/worn MX is nice though.

Also:
ITT half of GH doesn't like backlighting and colorful sets to varying degrees.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1393 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:54:24 »
I like backlighting. I just think it's too hard to get decent keysets for them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1394 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 22:35:20 »

I'd agree that they're overrated. But I found them at least somewhat acceptable to type on, unlike the others.

I noticed one day while typing on MX Blues whilst listening to my IEMs that they actually felt a little different if I could not hear them clicking. To my own surprise, I found that the MX Browns actually feel more tactile than the Blues if you completely block out the sounds of typing. The click plays tricks with your brain. Not that it's relevant anyways since the click is certainly a large part of typing on Blues and will rarely be blocked out completely.

I haven't tried that... if it's true, then the Blues suck too, and all that's good about them is just a perceptive illusion lol

Not really sure what you mean by "main purpose." Feedback? A mechanical keyboard is the only way you're going to be able to use a linear switch at all.

Yes, I would consider feedback the main reason to use a mechanical keyboard. Other reasons being reliability and build quality.

all new cherry switches are scratchy as hell, I'd rather have gateron or even greetech from my short experience with gree. Vintage/worn MX is nice though.

Yeah they're definitely not that smooth. But my point was, Browns feel like a scratchier version of Black to me, instead of having the distinct tactile point they claim to have.

ITT half of GH doesn't like backlighting and colorful sets to varying degrees.
I like backlighting. I just think it's too hard to get decent keysets for them.

I like backlighting too... plain white (or a single, similarly neutral colour) backlighting, not a rainbow of neon colours.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1395 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 22:47:19 »

Yes, I would consider feedback the main reason to use a mechanical keyboard. Other reasons being reliability and build quality.
Unless I'm mistake rubberdomes have feedback too?

Yeah they're definitely not that smooth. But my point was, Browns feel like a scratchier version of Black to me, instead of having the distinct tactile point they claim to have.
I was more referring to the point that blues and greens are the only acceptable cherry switches. I agree that the bump on browns is negligible.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1396 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 23:10:51 »
Unless I'm mistake rubberdomes have feedback too?

Rubber domes are a hit and miss. Some have excellent feedback while others are a mushy mess. Even the same model of rubber dome keyboard can vary in quality. At least with mechanical switches they are pretty consistent, whether that is consistently good or bad.

Offline blahlicus

• UniqueK | DIY keyboards, etc
« Reply #1397 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:42:18 »

linears have their place because they actuate before they get bottomed out, unlike certain membrane boards, also membrane boards have this sandy bumpy feedback and not everyone likes it

agreed, browns feel mushy and similar to rubber domes, dont know why people like them, i would prefer topre if i actually like tactile switches

Also:

you should try out alps and buckling springs, thats an entirely new world of amazing clickyness, to be honest, i dont think cherry tactile and clicky switches are that great

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1398 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 10:31:19 »
agreed, browns feel mushy and similar to rubber domes, dont know why people like them, i would prefer topre if i actually like tactile switches

I don't think Browns feel anything like rubber domes but I agree there isn't much tactile feedback. I like Browns but only because they bottom out like a linear switch but have the bump there when you need it (specifically, for gaming). I'd say Clears feel more like rubber domes than Browns, but it's still a long shot. I prefer Topre over all the Cherry switches I have tried.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1399 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:15:55 »

I don't think Browns feel anything like rubber domes but I agree there isn't much tactile feedback. I like Browns but only because they bottom out like a linear switch but have the bump there when you need it (specifically, for gaming). I'd say Clears feel more like rubber domes than Browns, but it's still a long shot. I prefer Topre over all the Cherry switches I have tried.

browns do not feel anything like rubber domes - they are closer to reds and black imo