Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268724 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1400 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:36:04 »
agreed, browns feel mushy and similar to rubber domes, dont know why people like them, i would prefer topre if i actually like tactile switches

I don't think Browns feel anything like rubber domes but I agree there isn't much tactile feedback. I like Browns but only because they bottom out like a linear switch but have the bump there when you need it (specifically, for gaming). I'd say Clears feel more like rubber domes than Browns, but it's still a long shot. I prefer Topre over all the Cherry switches I have tried.

browns do not feel anything like rubber domes - they are closer to reds and black imo

Personally I don't think browns are bad at all in general, I just prefer like Greetech's to Cherry's. They're great as an intro switch especially for people used to membrane who want a nice tactile feedback, but don't want to be overwhelmed.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1401 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:48:46 »
Modern Selectric...

... looks ...

... not great.

I ordered black mods for this reason. It looks much better as black/white. Blue is too bright, not really a "IBM Blue" (which is darker and more muted, in between regular blue and navy blue).

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1402 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:02:23 »
agreed, browns feel mushy and similar to rubber domes, dont know why people like them, i would prefer topre if i actually like tactile switches

I don't think Browns feel anything like rubber domes but I agree there isn't much tactile feedback. I like Browns but only because they bottom out like a linear switch but have the bump there when you need it (specifically, for gaming). I'd say Clears feel more like rubber domes than Browns, but it's still a long shot. I prefer Topre over all the Cherry switches I have tried.

browns do not feel anything like rubber domes - they are closer to reds and black imo

Personally I don't think browns are bad at all in general, I just prefer like Greetech's to Cherry's. They're great as an intro switch especially for people used to membrane who want a nice tactile feedback, but don't want to be overwhelmed.

I honestly think that anyone who recommends mx browns as a first switch is someone who just reads the cherry or corsair marketing bull**** - it doesn't even make sense why browns exist

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1403 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:11:50 »

I honestly think that anyone who recommends mx browns as a first switch is someone who just reads the cherry or corsair marketing bull**** - it doesn't even make sense why browns exist

I wouldn't recommend them, but the fact is just that of the 8 friends I've had try out my cherry/gateron switch tester coming from no experience with mechanical boards or "gaming" related advertising (none of them are gamers at all) 6 of them preferred the browns over the other switches.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1404 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:14:59 »
linears have their place because they actuate before they get bottomed out, unlike certain membrane boards, also membrane boards have this sandy bumpy feedback and not everyone likes it

Most mechanical switches actuate before bottoming out. All Cherry switches have their actuation points near the middle of the travel depth. Alps are a bit higher and Topre a bit lower. The problem with linear switches is that you have no idea whether they actuated or not unless you bottom out. It's not easy to accurately "feel" where halfway is.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1405 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:17:32 »
linears have their place because they actuate before they get bottomed out, unlike certain membrane boards, also membrane boards have this sandy bumpy feedback and not everyone likes it

Most mechanical switches actuate before bottoming out. All Cherry switches have their actuation points near the middle of the travel depth. Alps are a bit higher and Topre a bit lower. The problem with linear switches is that you have no idea whether they actuated or not unless you bottom out. It's not easy to accurately "feel" where halfway is.

eh, you definitely develop a feel for them after using them for a bit.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1406 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:46:46 »

I imagine pretty much everyone bottoms out though
Have you ever tried typing with any speed and not bottoming out? Impossibru

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1407 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:39:05 »
To me, Cherry switches actually discourage me from bottoming out because the increasing linear force of the spring after the actuation point makes pressing the key down further quite fatiguing.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1408 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:47:55 »
To me, Cherry switches actually discourage me from bottoming out because the increasing linear force of the spring after the actuation point makes pressing the key down further quite fatiguing.

That depends on the switch though. I have never felt fatigue on any switches other than 110g greys.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1409 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:56:07 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Offline tofu28

« Reply #1410 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:59:23 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Are you one of those people who double taps caps instead of holding shift?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1411 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:00:52 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Most of the time I double taps caps, sometimes I use shift

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1412 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 02:02:52 »

i love using CAPSLOCK

Most of the time I double taps caps, sometimes I use shift

Isn't this the purpose of sticky keys?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1413 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 07:23:52 »
Suddenly, the topic morphed into "Non-sense Keyboard Opinions"

:D :)) :p

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #1414 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:12:47 »

How does it not make sense that browns exist? They're honestly great. Overall my favorite switch, followed by Kailh blues. I might like Clears more if I could actually sit down and use them for a while but until that happens Browns and Kailh blues are king. Also, I got browns as my first switch and it was definitely the right choice, even if they were a bit strange to move to from my Dell quietkey (way lighter and way less of a bump).

Interestingly enough, I found MX blues to be super fatiguing and as such I'm not a massive fan while the lighter switch and tactility of the Kailhs lets them pull ahead.
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1415 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:29:21 »
Well, this is the "unpopular keyboard opinions" thread, so obviously not everyone or even most people would agree with what we're saying here :)

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #1416 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:35:06 »
Well, this is the "unpopular keyboard opinions" thread, so obviously not everyone or even most people would agree with what we're saying here :)

Disagreeing is fine, I'm just curious about the logic behind the opinion
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1417 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:48:16 »

How does it not make sense that browns exist? They're honestly great. Overall my favorite switch, followed by Kailh blues. I might like Clears more if I could actually sit down and use them for a while but until that happens Browns and Kailh blues are king. Also, I got browns as my first switch and it was definitely the right choice, even if they were a bit strange to move to from my Dell quietkey (way lighter and way less of a bump).

Interestingly enough, I found MX blues to be super fatiguing and as such I'm not a massive fan while the lighter switch and tactility of the Kailhs lets them pull ahead.

agree that brown is awesome.  especially brand new modern brown

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:53:03 »
MEI switches feel worse than anything else I've ever laid hands on.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline blahlicus

• UniqueK | DIY keyboards, etc
« Reply #1419 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:27:38 »

this is where the "not everyone likes the subtle feedback" part comes from, in my opinion, cherry tactile feedback switches are horrible as they provide little to no feedback and feels more like rusty bumps than proper feedback

besides, you kind of grow accustomed to actuating linear switches especially reds, since they are so easy to actuate you dont have to "feel" it actuate because it will always actuate no matter how lightly you pressed, also o-rings and bottoming out help as well i guess

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1420 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:45:59 »

this is where the "not everyone likes the subtle feedback" part comes from, in my opinion, cherry tactile feedback switches are horrible as they provide little to no feedback and feels more like rusty bumps than proper feedback

besides, you kind of grow accustomed to actuating linear switches especially reds, since they are so easy to actuate you dont have to "feel" it actuate because it will always actuate no matter how lightly you pressed, also o-rings and bottoming out help as well i guess

I modded my daily driver's switches yesterday; they have now 65g springs, new clear stems, transparent tops, stock Cherry contacts, and they feel, and sound just awesome. Their sound has a very low pitch, it is almost a tock, the feeling is very solid, offering just the right amount of force, not hard, neither light.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1421 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:07:46 »

I modded my daily driver's switches yesterday; they have now 65g springs, new clear stems, transparent tops, stock Cherry contacts, and they feel, and sound just awesome. Their sound has a very low pitch, it is almost a tock, the feeling is very solid, offering just the right amount of force, not hard, neither light.

I got some Vintage MX Blues, put in 62g 24kt Gold Sprit Springs, Sip Sockets(even though it doesn't affect the feel), and clear mx switch top. I absolutely love them, they feel perfect to me and actually sound quieter than my Pok3r w/Blues but with a nicer tone in my opinion. I love these switches, may try some ergo clears but probably some zealios next.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline jamster

« Reply #1422 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 09:59:05 »

I much prefer a decent quality (not talking topre here, something that came free with a PC) rubberdome board to anything with stock MX switches. I'm currently typing this on a Wyse rubberdome board because I cannot stand using the MX horribly mushy black that I have in a closet which is awaiting Zeal's Gaterons for a transplant. I've got browns on another board (a keypad) and they're also way less preferable to decent rubberdome.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #1423 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 10:16:34 »
HHKB layout is no good. People who buy GONs and Ducks in that layout are out of their minds.

Does one fewer key in the corner really matter? If they weren't case-mounted Topre they wouldn't even be worth talking about.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2015, 16:55:04 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1424 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 10:54:43 »

Don't think I've ever gotten to try these before, do people really like them or something?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1425 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 16:48:49 »

Don't think I've ever gotten to try these before, do people really like them or something?

I've never heard anyone say something good about then.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1426 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:46:46 »
HHKB layout is no good. People who buy GONs and Ducks in that layout are out of their minds.

Does one fewer key in the corner really matter? If they weren't case-mounted Topre they wouldn't even be worth talking about.

I agree to some extent. I'm in love with the Capslock to Ctrl transfer, but I don't understand why people are so obsessed with removing those extra keys to get the look.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1427 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:47:52 »

I agree to some extent. I'm in love with the Capslock to Ctrl transfer, but I don't understand why people are so obsessed with removing those extra keys to get the look.

well obviously because a keyboard is like a finely tuned race car, gotta remove every ounce of extra weight :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #1428 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 23:52:26 »
I like my shiny keycaps because they're so smooth and kind of like the look

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1429 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 23:59:04 »

It's exactly  the same as people who have winkeyless customs. It's just a nice aesthetic that people want.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1430 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:02:09 »

It's exactly  the same as people who have winkeyless customs. It's just a nice aesthetic that people want.

It is the Unicorn syndrome, the aspiration to be unique. In the practical side, those corners are just wasted space.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #1431 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:14:39 »
I'm fine with shiny keys, as long as they are all equally shiny. The problem is, keys never wear out consistently across the whole keyboard. What bothers people is having some shiny and some matte keys on the same keyboard. Doesn't that bother you?

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #1432 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:20:30 »
I'm fine with shiny keys, as long as they are all equally shiny. The problem is, keys never wear out consistently across the whole keyboard. What bothers people is having some shiny and some matte keys on the same keyboard. Doesn't that bother you?

Not really and I'm glad it doesn't

Offline E3E

« Reply #1433 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 00:13:03 »

It is the Unicorn syndrome, the aspiration to be unique. In the practical side, those corners are just wasted space.

Unicorn syndrome indeed. :P The ironic thing is when EVERYONE flocks to say the Viper over the Eagle and then the Eagle becomes the more uncommon variant because everyone wants the more "unique" option. Can't say I'm not guilty of wanting to be a special snowflake myself sometimes, but I think everyone has that phase in this community.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1434 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 01:08:01 »
It's not really being a special snow flake if that snowflake is the most popular, is it?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1435 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 02:12:11 »
It's not really being a special snow flake if that snowflake is the most popular, is it?

BAM!

It becomes ironic. I personally think obsession with rarity and the "hard to find" factor is stupid beyond all logic, but also admit I've been struck by it before. Thankfully not by artisans.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1436 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 02:44:54 »

wabi-sabi

nice avatar :)
the aesthetics of shine are acceptable in the sense that you are using the board --
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1437 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 04:18:59 »

I've been saying that for years but as an old man I'm quickly ignored around here, as all these youngsters seem to think that they know better than any decrepit, ole geezer.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 04:21:42 by Elrick »

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #1438 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 11:51:42 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Superior in every way:
112152-0

And if there were any justice in the world, Shift Lock would be put right there, out of the way.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1439 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:09:04 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Superior in every way:
(Attachment Link)

And if there were any justice in the world, Shift Lock would be put right there, out of the way.

Is this the next GMK group buy teaser?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1440 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:10:10 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Superior in every way:
(Attachment Link)

yellow on black?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1441 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:11:54 »
i love using CAPSLOCK

Superior in every way:
(Attachment Link)

yellow on black?

Bumble-bee.

Offline spectre

« Reply #1442 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:05:28 »
The vast majority of aftermarket key sets are not suitable for most office environments. All artisan caps are unsuitable to work keyboards.

Flame away
I would agree about artisans, but I think a lot of the recent GMK sets are professional enough, even Hyperfuse. And many SA sets (Hackd, Retro) are fine, too.

Yeah I think that Hyperfuse has a classy look to it. I think the accent keys might be pushing it in some workplaces but does anyone here even work at a place where they have been told off for how their keyboard looks?

I personally like Hyperfuse, but in any 'serious', 'corporate' environment I wouldn't use it. It's not about being told off (which would take a pretty infantile management culture), it's about whether you want to be remembered as the guy with the rainbow keyboard, which is a couple of steps up to being the guy with the collection of troll dolls lined up on his desk.

Oddly enough, I had assumed that programmers and keyboard enthusiasts would have a big intersect. Somewhat disappointingly, this hasn't been what I have observed in real life. I'm surrounded by programmers, as are a couple of friends who are coders in other companies. Nobody seems to have an interest in mech boards at all. Sad.

Caring about keyboards is an unpopular keyboard opinion :(

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #1443 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:14:50 »

Haha

That's what I told all my friends about browns.

The big misconception is that browns are just a silent blue but it's really not.

Blues are entirely different but browns are marketed as an "upgrade" to blues.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1444 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:20:27 »

Haha

The big misconception is that browns are just a silent blue but it's really not.

One of the things that kind of bothers me about the keyboard community is this weird mentality that some people have recommending switches - "oh if you're gaming then you need reds!" "oh you're a typist that means you need blues!" "you're an inbetween person go for the browns" - it reminds me of the sorting hat from harry potter or picking which pokemon to take....

If I have found anything it's that keyboards are more of a journey than anything - there is no end game despite what any one will tell you, there is only the keyboard that you are liking the most right now

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1445 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:32:54 »

Haha

One of the things that kind of bothers me about the keyboard community is this weird mentality that some people have recommending switches - "oh if you're gaming then you need reds!" "oh you're a typist that means you need blues!" "you're an inbetween person go for the browns" - it reminds me of the sorting hat from harry potter or picking which pokemon to take....

If I have found anything it's that keyboards are more of a journey than anything - there is no end game despite what any one will tell you, there is only the keyboard that you are liking the most right now
The takeaway here is, buy every keyboard ever. Then you will find your favorite.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1446 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:34:17 »

Haha

The takeaway here is, buy every keyboard ever. Then you will find your favorite.

pretty much
I prefer the less consumeristic way of saying it though: "be a life long learner"  :))

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1447 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:36:20 »

Haha

pretty much
I prefer the less consumeristic way of saying it though: "be a life long learner"  :))
If you want to save some money, just buy Topre first and lie to yourself that you already have the best keyboard.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1448 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:42:52 »

Haha

But I thought Snake Plitskin was dead!  I found my endgame keyboard years ago.  Maybe you'll find yours too!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1449 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:49:07 »

Haha

pretty much
If you want to save some money, just buy Topre first and lie to yourself that you already have the best keyboard.

I think if you have an inkling of curiosity this approach doesn't really work

I started with MX and then moved to Buckling spring and then to Topre - now I'm eyeing up the 55g variants and really want to try Alps...

I don't think "the endgame crusade" extends just to switches either - definitely applies to form factor and keycaps - and as more and more of these get invented it's impossible to know for sure if you're missing out on something