Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268661 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1550 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:47:24 »
The POK3R is nothing special, even a little lame.

PBT doesnt deserve the undying circle-jerking surrounding it. I really enjoy POM and ABS caps as well, usually even more.

Not all rubber dome keyboards suck, some are pretty dang enjoyable.

I am pretty much agree with you; still, I prefer a mechanical keyboard, over even the most sophisticated rubber dome.

I'll pretty much agree, absolutely prefer them, but having to use one doesn't always result in this...
Show Image

Grand Torino is a great movie, I should see it again this weekend.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #1551 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 11:23:40 »
I would rather have thin PBT or even regular ABS over thick PBT. Stuff mutes clicks and doesn't allow the feel of the switch nearly as well.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1552 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 11:45:57 »
I would rather have thin PBT or even regular ABS over thick PBT. Stuff mutes clicks and doesn't allow the feel of the switch nearly as well.

I do hear thinner caps are happy times for clicky switches, but how about for linear switches? Thicker caps for a nicer thock? :P

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1553 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 23:02:29 »
I love sp dcs.
I miss sp dcs groupbuy.  :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1554 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:39:34 »
I love sp dcs.

What? This opinion is not just unpopular, it is insane.

:)) :)) :))

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1555 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:26:30 »
Dell rubber domes when they are brand new are pretty sweet. They degrade to mushy after about 6 months. When I worked in IT I would just swap mine out with new stock every few months to keep the feeling.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #1556 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:32:06 »
I love sp dcs.

I hear a lot of crap going SP's way for their DCS; are theirs worse than, say Ctrl+Alt?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1557 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:33:55 »
I love sp dcs.

I hear a lot of crap going SP's way for their DCS; are theirs worse than, say Ctrl+Alt?

Signature Plastics is the only manufacturer that makes DCS, same with SA and DSA. So [CTRL]ALT gets the same DCS everyone else gets.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1558 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:35:12 »
Dell rubber domes when they are brand new are pretty sweet. They degrade to mushy after about 6 months. When I worked in IT I would just swap mine out with new stock every few months to keep the feeling.

Are you talking about Dell Quiet Key? The tactility is alright, but they are far too heavy...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1559 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:35:49 »
The POK3R is nothing special, even a little lame.

PBT doesnt deserve the undying circle-jerking surrounding it. I really enjoy POM and ABS caps as well, usually even more.

Not all rubber dome keyboards suck, some are pretty dang enjoyable.

I am pretty much agree with you; still, I prefer a mechanical keyboard, over even the most sophisticated rubber dome.

I'll pretty much agree, absolutely prefer them, but having to use one doesn't always result in this...
Show Image

Grand Torino is a great movie, I should see it again this weekend.

Now that you've mentioned it...

The LSB house will be projecting Gran Torino in the backyard this weekend. Everyone can come. NC meetup 1.5 for this month  :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1560 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:40:03 »

Are you talking about Dell Quiet Key? The tactility is alright, but they are far too heavy...

I would assume so, I think everyone has a handful (or truckload) of them in the workplace. Still, they are far better than most of the short throw dome keyboards that come with most new PC's I think.

Pic for reference

Not the best domes by far, but not terrible. Much better than the new Dell keyboards that have an extremely short throw rubber dome that we are getting in these days

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1561 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:53:46 »
I love sp dcs.

I don't know why, but I really really like typing on dcs.  and I think the legend is just awesome.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1562 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 22:53:52 »

I would assume so, I think everyone has a handful (or truckload) of them in the workplace. Still, they are far better than most of the short throw dome keyboards that come with most new PC's I think.

Pic for reference
Show Image

Not the best domes by far, but not terrible. Much better than the new Dell keyboards that have an extremely short throw rubber dome that we are getting in these days
Show Image

You all are not alone. :)

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1563 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:09:56 »
Yeah I'm talking about the Dell Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard.  There was a variant without the media controls that was almost exactly the same.  I loved that keyboard.  Admittedly, that was roughly 7 years ago.  I haven't used one in a long time.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1564 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:24:26 »
I don't know if I've ever typed on one of those.

I'm talking about the old Quiet Key:

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1565 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:32:03 »

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #1566 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 00:02:29 »

Show Image

I have one of those at home, nicest rubber domes I've ever used. (coughbetterthanbrownscough)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1567 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 09:15:28 »
Show Image

* HoffmanMyster looks down in shame as he types this message from that very keyboard.   :-X

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1568 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:03:23 »

Show Image

Ah, yeah and I've only used the older version a handful of times, and wasn't in "testing" mode so don't remember much about it.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1569 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:04:28 »
Show Image

* HoffmanMyster looks down in shame as he types this message from that very keyboard.   :-X

or you could buy a HiPro. And you could bring it to work. And then you could remove the shame.  :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1570 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 14:05:35 »

or you could buy a HiPro. And you could bring it to work. And then you could remove the shame.  :p

I could indeed.  I could indeed...

:cool:

Offline Altis

« Reply #1571 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 16:24:33 »
Perhaps not popular... but the HHKB is so far the least refined Topre keyboard I've used so far.

In fact, I'd say that some of the old Keytronic keyboards felt smoother and sounded more consistent.

Fire away.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1572 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 16:37:39 »
Perhaps not popular... but the HHKB is so far the least refined Topre keyboard I've used so far.

In fact, I'd say that some of the old Keytronic keyboards felt smoother and sounded more consistent.

Fire away.

What keyboards are you considering to be Topre?  Do the recent clones count in that group?

Offline Altis

« Reply #1573 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 17:26:25 »
What keyboards are you considering to be Topre?  Do the recent clones count in that group?

I've only used the 45g and 55g 87U, HHKB, and Novatouch.

I haven't used the others.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1574 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 20:00:58 »

Fire away.

On the other hand, I feel that Realfirce boards,the FC660C, and the Novatouch all feel like crap compared to the HHKB. They bottom it harshly and, in the case of the Novatouch, feel unrefined and crappy due to a case with too loose of tolerances and stabilizers that rattle too much.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #1575 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 20:05:35 »

Fire away.

On the other hand, I feel that Realfirce boards,the FC660C, and the Novatouch all feel like crap compared to the HHKB. They bottom it harshly and, in the case of the Novatouch, feel unrefined and crappy due to a case with too loose of tolerances and stabilizers that rattle too much.

Bottoming out harshly only has to do with how you press the board. If you slam the key it'll bottom out hard, regardless of whether you're using case or plate mounted switches. While I like the softness of the HHKB, calling Realforce/FC660C something with 'loose tolerances' is ludicrous.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1576 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 20:11:51 »

Fire away.

Bottoming out harshly only has to do with how you press the board. If you slam the key it'll bottom out hard, regardless of whether you're using case or plate mounted switches. While I like the softness of the HHKB, calling Realforce/FC660C something with 'loose tolerances' is ludicrous.

Please reread what I wrote.  The Novatouch is the one with the loose tolerances, not the FC660C or Realforce boards.  It feels wobbly and creaky and the stabilizers rattle.  No board that costs more than $150 should feel that way.

And the metal plate Topre boards all have a jarring bottom out because the actuation point is so close to the bottoming out point that you have to be a wizard to never bottom out with them.

Also, lol:

Oh boy, aggressive "keyboard" warrior..

Offline JiveMasterT

« Reply #1577 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 20:22:38 »
Bottoming out is all about how violent you type and how shallow the keys are. I spent about 4 years building a business on an Apple aluminum keyboard. Lots of caffeine and booze and slowly I had etched grooves into the left command key. I used every inch of that keyboard and it paid for itself many times over.

That being said, RSI is very real and it can happen to someone bottoming out keys a lot and sitting in a crappy chair with no support. Lots of people complain about it but no one spends the time to figure out the cause.

Now I run mechs only, with brown switches, and my pain comes and goes. People talk wild **** about browns but at the end of the day if you have an injury and they work for you then just use them.

I didn't get into mechs because I felt like they were magical or I was superior to people using rubber. I got into mechs because they don't further my injuries and they don't prevent me from being productive.

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #1578 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 20:45:33 »

Fire away.

Please reread what I wrote.  The Novatouch is the one with the loose tolerances, not the FC660C or Realforce boards.  It feels wobbly and creaky and the stabilizers rattle.  No board that costs more than $150 should feel that way.

And the metal plate Topre boards all have a jarring bottom out because the actuation point is so close to the bottoming out point that you have to be a wizard to never bottom out with them.

Also, lol:

Oh boy, aggressive "keyboard" warrior..

My bad, misread.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1579 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 22:31:28 »

Fire away.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I wonder if there are differences in age that make them vary in terms of characteristics.

I listened to a ton of videos of HHKBs on YouTube (yes, yes..) and I didn't notice any of them sounding like this. For example, my G-H keys and O-P keys sound like they're from a completely different keyboard. Or perhaps like the G-H are thick PBT while the O-P are thin ABS and have sound deadening. It makes it strange to listen to typing with so many various sounds.

The stabilizers have absolutely no rattle whatsoever, though, and that's pretty nice for a change. The 87U has a pretty negligible amount of stabilizer rattle compared to the MX boards with Costar stabilizers that I have, though.

I don't know what to make of the grittiness in the keys though. You can feel it as well as hear a hiss-like noise, even if you press it really slowly. It isn't quite as noticeable when you're typing quickly, at least. Perhaps it will break in a bit... who knows. Every now and again a key will kind of squeak almost.

All I really know is that after using this HHKB for a few hours, when I go back to my 45g 87U, it feels softer, smoother, quite a bit quieter, and sounds far more consistent. Maybe I have a bad copy of the HHKB.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1580 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:20:03 »
Gonna revive this thread with this: WoB looks really damn bad imo.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1581 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:28:26 »

Fire away.

I have two FC660C's, a black and white one, BOTH have a warped bottom shells, meaning they rock slightly with and without feet down. Pretty damn annoying. They feel great, but they do have some quality issues for sure.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:40:33 »

This is for unpopular opinions, not wrong opinions.  :P

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1583 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:51:47 »

What he said  :))

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1584 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:53:04 »
I wouldn't say that WoB looks bad but just like classic beige, it just looks boring to me.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1585 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:53:05 »

**** ya'll Beige for lyfe
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1586 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:02:13 »
I wouldn't say that WoB looks bad but just like classic beige, it just looks boring to me.

I won't argue that. I dont have any. But the designs are solid, and the finishes are quite cool.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1587 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:27:31 »
OG Cherry sets that are in the "common" WoB, BoB double shot combinations; or in the more scarce, TA (the original) or Dolch combinations, or the even rare Red one, are all classics. As with any classic, for some they are boring, for others are just elegant. In any case, they were manufacture in long production runs that increased the stability of the processes making quality defects less likely to occur, small runs, even when they may appear to be large for a group buy, like the recent MD TA run, are more prone to present quality mistakes; therefore, OGs are of higher quality.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1588 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:29:08 »
OG Cherry sets that are in the "common" WoB, BoB double shot combinations; or in the more scarce, TA (the original) or Dolch combinations, or the even rare Red one, are all classics. As with any classic, for some they are boring, for others are just elegant. In any case, they were manufacture in long production runs that increased the stability of the processes making quality defects less likely to occur, small runs, even when they may appear to be large for a group buy, like the recent MD TA run, are more prone to present quality mistakes; therefore, OGs are of higher quality.
Don't get me wrong, I refuse to type on anything other than OG Beige.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1589 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:38:02 »
Don't get me wrong, I refuse to type on anything other than OG Beige.

:p

Offline E3E

« Reply #1590 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 14:43:05 »

**** ya'll Beige for lyfe

While I do think I am more a fan of the unicorn vomit custom key cap sets we have today, the OG sets are classy and I can appreciate them. I used to feel disgusted by how plain they were.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1591 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:10:43 »
there are WAY too much artisan keycaps on gh

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1592 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:15:14 »

But where would we be without them? They cause so much drama and commotion! :P

Offline E3E

« Reply #1593 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:15:49 »
The way artisan makers are kind of treated as celebrity figures/gods in the community is somewhat vexing at times.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1594 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:19:16 »
The way artisan makers are kind of treated as celebrity figures/gods in the community is somewhat vexing at times.
I mean only some of them are, and that bothers me more personally. I think Binge's caps are freaking amazing, and I'm not demeaning his in any way, but there are other artisan makers who are making equally cool things that don't really get the God status that Binge does. Again, I'm not necessarily saying that he doesn't deserve it, as I said, his work is amazing.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1595 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:19:43 »

But where would we be without them? They cause so much drama and commotion! :P
More discussion on keyboard. Just look at the classfield section and the what did you get in the mail today thread..... they are literally full of artisan keycaps. I remeber two or three years ago when I read posts on gh, there was much more discussion on keyboard.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1596 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:23:06 »

It's downright stupid, you see the same 2-3 people always posting after Bro or Hipster.
DOn't get me wrong they both are very cool, but it looks like people are just mindlessly "upvoting" them around
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1597 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:25:29 »
oh, i know its super unpopular, but i like the look of the hhkb metal case that on md right now.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1598 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:25:48 »

They are the closest things to celebrities within the keyboard community though

Apart from Eiiti Wada - The Godfather of HHKB  :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1599 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:26:12 »
More discussion on keyboard. Just look at the classfield section and the what did you get in the mail today thread..... they are literally full of artisan keycaps. I remeber two or three years ago when I read posts on gh, there was much more discussion on keyboard.
I can agree with this to some extent. I don't really think there's too many artisans, but sometimes I feel like a lot less interesting keyboard projects are being done because it's easier for people to make artisans if they're going to do DIY. I'm not trying to demean the artisan craft by any means, but I think people see it as being an easy way to make money, not that it actually is. I'm totally guilty of getting into making artisans because I'm scared of board modding, so I don't have a ton of license to complain, but I've never really gotten into collecting mass amounts of them. So, in short, I'm fine with a ton of artisans, but I'd prefer that they not come at the extent of interesting board projects.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.