Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268575 times)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1750 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:55:36 »
If you're srs, I'll make an Alps-to-MX stem and that will be the only cap I ever put on my Dell AT101. :P

If not.

ಠ_ಠ

feature=youtu.be

Bravo!

Send me your details and I will be sending you a Black Cherokey (MX) when I get them

+1 for the follow through man,  to see!

Many thanks from me as well! I thought it was fun to try out for, but I had no idea if it was a serious offer.  :thumb:

No worries :) It's stuff like this that makes the community a fun place to spend time
Decided toit too for fun, (not expecting an artisan, just wanted to see if I couldit for fun)
There should be some sort of weekly typing contest with challenges like this, I like these sorts of this.
Just realized, I uploaded that video in slow motion.
I'm dumb.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #1751 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:03:04 »
Another spam, did another and uploading. 92 WPM.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #1752 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:08:02 »
If you're srs, I'll make an Alps-to-MX stem and that will be the only cap I ever put on my Dell AT101. :P

If not.

ಠ_ಠ

feature=youtu.be

Bravo!

Send me your details and I will be sending you a Black Cherokey (MX) when I get them

Many thanks from me as well! I thought it was fun to try out for, but I had no idea if it was a serious offer.  :thumb:

No worries :) It's stuff like this that makes the community a fun place to spend time
Decided toit too for fun, (not expecting an artisan, just wanted to see if I couldit for fun)
There should be some sort of weekly typing contest with challenges like this, I like these sorts of this.
I'm dumb.
last time responding to myself, I swear.
92 WPM, no keycaps.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1753 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:10:01 »

If not.

ಠ_ಠ

feature=youtu.be

Bravo!

I'm dumb.
92 WPM, no keycaps.

Nice speed :p

I think that topre would be easier though as the stems are bigger than alps or topre

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #1754 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:11:46 »

If not.

ಠ_ಠ

feature=youtu.be

Bravo!

I'm dumb.
92 WPM, no keycaps.

speed :p

I think that topre would be easier though as the stems are bigger than alps or topre
That was my thought too. Kinda want to try with a cherry board, but the only time I did try it my fingers ended up hurting  :p

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1755 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:12:57 »

That was my thought too. Kinda want to try with a cherry board, but the only time I did try it my fingers ended up hurting  :p

Yeah I tried doing this when I built my GON - not a fun experience

Offline clochette

« Reply #1756 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 02:44:43 »
I'm pretty sure having keyboard opinions in general are unpopular for anyone that doesn't frequent this site.
This is so meta.

:thumb:  ::sniffs::  I smell a programmer :)

+1  :))

colleagues look at me like i'm crazy when i share with them how much i spend on them keycaps and keyboards

they go like "dude, a $10 keyboard does the same job with the same level of efficiency"

Offline E3E

« Reply #1757 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 02:49:51 »
I'm pretty sure having keyboard opinions in general are unpopular for anyone that doesn't frequent this site.
This is so meta.

:thumb:  ::sniffs::  I smell a programmer :)

+1  :))

colleagues look at me like i'm crazy when i share with them how much i spend on them keycaps and keyboards

they go like "dude, a $10 keyboard does the same job with the same level of efficiency"

In some ways, they definitely are not wrong, but this hobby goes beyond practicality. It's more for personal pleasure and enjoyment, at least for a lot of us anyway. Building a cool keyboard with a nice set of caps, your favorite switches and accessories. It's really nice to add personal flair to something.

A $10 rubberdome keyboard is just... a keyboard. Even if it's mine, it's just a keyboard.

A $400 keyboard that I customized to the teeth with everything I could ever want perched proudly on my desk is MY keyboard.

There's a difference. :P

Offline E3E

« Reply #1758 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 02:54:03 »
Another spam, did another and uploading. 92 WPM.

Firstly, I'm going to watch that slow motion video so I can see some 46 WPM goodness.

Secondy... Damn! I can touch type, but my form isn't the best. Left is more solid than the right. I cheat a lot with the right, which is probably why my wrist hurts atm. I need to perfect that! For me, 100 WPM would only be if I'm focused and WITH caps of course. Haha. Many people are much faster.

Thirdly, awesome job! You discarded the caps and are typing directly on a cloud of boobs, hehehe.  :-X

Offline blai5000

« Reply #1759 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 18:12:45 »
And here I am typing faster on chiclet-style keys on a rubber-dome than on OEM keycaps on a mech, around 60 wpm vs 50 wpm.  I just can't deal with the smaller surface of non-chiclet keys.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1760 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:07:01 »
They don't seem to be quite as popular on GH, but personally I really don't think Snackeys look good at all.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1761 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:45:43 »
:-X I like the way SnackKeys look.

Oh no! Whose opinion is the unpopular one!?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1762 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:52:45 »
too much gmk

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #1763 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:11:40 »
Ok, lets try  ;D:

Those flat acrylic cases (like GONs or SPRITs) look very bad. I would never build a custom keyboard if I had to use one.

Topre is not mechanical. Hybrid, at most.

Artisans are not really art.

If you bottom out when typing you are doing it wrong. A switch that forces you to(or is very hard not to) bottom out sucks and has no reason to have a complicated mechanism to actuate before bottom.

PBT > ABS. Nobody should pay more than fifty bucks for an ABS set.

These days rubberdomes are more likely to come without factory defects then mechs. The "more durable" story is just a myth if you do not have basic soldering skills.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:14:08 by Lepidus »

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #1764 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:00:14 »
Ok, lets try  ;D:

Those flat acrylic cases (like GONs or SPRITs) look very bad. I would never build a custom keyboard if I had to use one.

Topre is not mechanical. Hybrid, at most.

Artisans are not really art.

If you bottom out when typing you are doing it wrong. A switch that forces you to(or is very hard not to) bottom out sucks and has no reason to have a complicated mechanism to actuate before bottom.

PBT > ABS. Nobody should pay more than fifty bucks for an ABS set.

These days rubberdomes are more likely to come without factory defects then mechs. The "more durable" story is just a myth if you do not have basic soldering skills.

I like those cases. I think they look very modern.  ;D

I also think a lot of artisans are ugly, the only ones I've REALLY liked are Snackeys, and I got some

Never compared PBT and ABS but that opinion seems to be fairly common.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1765 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:58:02 »
dude, the spam posts since these new rules has gotten to be a bit ridiculous. so many random threads are getting resurrected along with them that were dead for a reason  :confused:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #1766 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:01:43 »
dude, the spam posts since these new rules has gotten to be a bit ridiculous. so many random threads are getting resurrected along with them that were dead for a reason  :confused:

I wish this forum has a sort by post date option, or if it does, that I knew how to use it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1767 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:03:05 »

I wish this forum has a sort by post date option, or if it does, that I knew how to use it.

Spy?

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #1768 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:30:04 »

Spy?

DUDE YOU JUST MADE THIS FORUM 20X BETTER FOR ME! :D

EDIT - Wait, no you didn't. I'm looking for a sort by post-date, not by most recent comment. :(

Offline dante

« Reply #1769 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:30:06 »

^ truth.  Most recent rubberdomes have far more durable pad printing than the average mechanical with fast fading "lasered" legends.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1770 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:40:44 »

Spy?

EDIT - Wait, no you didn't. I'm looking for a sort by post-date, not by most recent comment. :(

;D

:'(

Sorry.  I'm not aware of any way to sort by original post date.  I'm not really sure why you'd want to do that?  Some of the most active threads here were started years ago.  Heck, you never would have seen this very thread if you sorted that way.  I guess it would allow you to keep up to date on the latest tp4 threads though.  ;)

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #1771 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:47:06 »

Ehh, it's just a format I'm used to. Thanks for trying though!

Spy?

;D

Sorry.  I'm not aware of any way to sort by original post date.  I'm not really sure why you'd want to do that?  Some of the most active threads here were started years ago.  Heck, you never would have seen this very thread if you sorted that way.  I guess it would allow you to keep up to date on the latest tp4 threads though.  ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1772 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:54:12 »
;D

Ehh, it's just a format I'm used to. Thanks for trying though!

Well that's a fair reason.  :P  I will say though, I don't think it would make for an enjoyable way to view a forum like this.  I'm assuming you came from reddit?  That's a sensible format to view the content on reddit, but not a traditional forum like this.  Take your time to acclimate yourself with the structure here, and if you do ever have any more questions don't hesitate to PM me for any help.  :thumb:

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1773 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:28:13 »
the detail of the Rustler looks really awesome,but......it looks really really creepy

Offline CannabisWeekly

• Tech Nerd / Cannabis Weekly
« Reply #1774 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:29:38 »
the detail of the Rustler looks really awesome,but......it looks really really creepy

I couldn't agree more with this. The eyes creep me out.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1775 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:33:05 »

I sometimes wish someone would make some cute keycaps. maybe a sheep

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1776 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:39:49 »

Krytone just released that adorabe bird, Boopers monkey is precious, KeyKollectiv's mewocap and General Meow were cute as a button! Theres lots of cute caps  ;D
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1777 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:41:09 »

Krytone just released that adorabe bird, Boopers monkey is precious, KeyKollectiv's mewocap and General Meow were cute as a button! Theres lots of cute caps  ;D

Plus there is Slo-Fi, Ribbit, and Dolly!  And others.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #1778 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:42:58 »

Can confirm Slo-Fi is adorable
Source: sloths are favorite animal.
yet I still don't have one...

Offline E3E

« Reply #1779 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:43:08 »
And there's lions too! Right? There are lion artisans, right?

There's nothing wrong with finding lions adorable!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1780 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:49:48 »

Can confirm Slo-Fi is adorable
Source: sloths are favorite animal.
yet I still don't have one...

the bird one and the cat paw one are pretty cute, would be awesome to put on a key tester, but the design seems too complicated for me to put on a keyboard that I use everyday.
I prefer something that has simple design like cc, but cute at the same time...  ^-^
maybe I will make one myself

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1781 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 00:31:37 »
Not sure i get the KMAC hype... I got one... and I'm less impressed then i had thought? My duck boards i had owned seemed better quality and seemed better to type on/use.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1782 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 01:59:02 »
My duck boards i had owned seemed better quality and seemed better to type on/use.

How so?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1783 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:16:32 »
My duck boards i had owned seemed better quality and seemed better to type on/use.

How so?

When typing on the kmac, it just feels hollow. Where as on the duck's it felt more solid. idk if it is the case, or the plate or what.

Also, not the kmac's fault but i like having more of an angle on my boards and the kmac is quite flat.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1784 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:31:25 »

How so?

When typing on the kmac, it just feels hollow. Where as on the duck's it felt more solid. idk if it is the case, or the plate or what.

Also, not the kmac's fault but i like having more of an angle on my boards and the kmac is quite flat.
Are you on a KMAC 1 or 2? I could see the 1 lacking a bit of solidity as it has the feet vs. the 2's solid bottom.

Personally I love the low angle and anything above 10 kinda kills me, but a lot of people seem to like the Duck angles (11 on most?)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #1785 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:38:11 »

How so?

Are you on a KMAC 1 or 2? I could see the 1 lacking a bit of solidity as it has the feet vs. the 2's solid bottom.

Personally I love the low angle and anything above 10 kinda kills me, but a lot of people seem to like the Duck angles (11 on most?)

KMAC LE. It also uses the feet. I do use quite an angle, my work board is a 55g 10th AE realforce with some aftermarket cone feet that props it up to like a 15 degree angle.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1786 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:53:12 »
I like big ass enter

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1787 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:55:44 »
I like big ass enter

I like big ass, enter.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1788 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:27:03 »
I like big ass enter
And I can not lie.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Kazekumiho

« Reply #1789 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:04:26 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Kazekumiho

Offline E3E

« Reply #1792 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:11:48 »
I used to dislike angled keyboards, thinking they were just terrible for the wrists and what not, until I realized they kind of make the keys more accessible and less of a reach. I float my hands over the keyboard most of the time, so it never bothers me. Resting your palms on the desk with no rest and trying to type on a Duck would be pretty killer for your wrists.

My Fame and AT101 boards have some pretty massive incline with their feet down, and it's so awesome to use them like that imo.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1793 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:55:51 »
I like big ass enter

I like big ass, enter.

So should we call ISO enter, big top enter ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline E3E

« Reply #1794 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:45:22 »
I like big ass enter

I like big ass, enter.

Big tits enter?

That way we can have an enter for both crowds.

I feel terrible saying that.  :-X

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1795 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:03:50 »
I like big ass enter

I like big ass, enter.

Big tits enter?

I like big ass. Enter.

Offline vmod

« Reply #1796 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:26:27 »
I like big ass enter

I like big ass, enter.

Big tits enter?

I like big ass. Enter.

The only problem with that is it makes the backspace short.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1797 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:45:46 »
KMAC LE. It also uses the feet. I do use quite an angle, my work board is a 55g 10th AE realforce with some aftermarket cone feet that props it up to like a 15 degree angle.
Damn that's steep. I guess if you use a big wrest or float your wrists you would be fine. Since I rest my wrists on the desk I tend towards lower angled boards like the KMAC or TGR. I would like to type on a KMAC II sometime to compare the differences in feel, though I feel like the TGR is close enough that I could compare with that.

« Reply #1798 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:07:41 »
I hate DSA keycaps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1799 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:15:53 »
SA key caps are ugly.