Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268710 times)

Offline dante

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1850 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 17:56:04 »
Here is an unpopular opinion:

Every SP key cap set I have used feels like cheap junk (granted I have not used any SA sets).

SA is good. Will agree DSA and DCS aren't great by any means.

G20's are my favorite caps.  I wish they could put some legends on them.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1851 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 17:57:08 »

Every SP key cap set I have used feels like cheap junk (granted I have not used any SA sets). 

in what way? everybody ****s on SP but never says why it's ****. i feel like a ton of you just ride cherry **** because it's a popular thing to do.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1852 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:09:25 »

in what way? everybody ****s on SP but never says why it's ****. i feel like a ton of you just ride cherry **** because it's a popular thing to do.
I have no issues with DSA or SA by SP. DCS though, I dunno why anyone would go that route when they could get cherry profile instead, which is much more available these days. Not to mention more affordable with several new manufacturers in the picture. SP DCS is thin as hell. It just doesn't hold up against other, similarly profiled, yet thicker options.

On topic: I love to type on worn, shiny caps.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1853 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:38:08 »

I have no issues with DSA or SA by SP. DCS though, I dunno why anyone would go that route when they could get cherry profile instead, which is much more available these days. Not to mention more affordable with several new manufacturers in the picture. SP DCS is thin as hell. It just doesn't hold up against other, similarly profiled, yet thicker options.

This is not by any means unpopular, just be welcome to the club.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1854 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:40:40 »

it all feels the same to me. i dont get it. thick, thin, cherry, oem. pbt/abs.. all feels the same.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1855 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:57:07 »

it all feels the same to me. i dont get it. thick, thin, cherry, oem. pbt/abs.. all feels the same.

Take your gloves off.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1856 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:11:05 »

It's all about the thickness....

Seriously tho, I used to feel the same way, but I love my GMK caps. They are super smooth and the thickness provides a nice sound when I type. I have cherry profile PBT too, but I like the ABS better. There is a large part of this that is psychological for sure. But my fingers love that smooth ABS.

I feel the same as you about only about  spring weights. Everyone is all like "I just swapped my 65g springs for 67g and WOW, what a difference!". And I'm over here like, I can't tell a damn bit of difference, wtf are they on about?. When there is more varience, sure, but not at such small intervals.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1857 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:20:54 »

It's all about the thickness....

Seriously tho, I used to feel the same way, but I love my GMK caps. They are super smooth and the thickness provides a nice sound when I type. I have cherry profile PBT too, but I like the ABS better. There is a large part of this that is psychological for sure. But my fingers love that smooth ABS.

I feel the same as you about only about  spring weights. Everyone is all like "I just swapped my 65g springs for 67g and WOW, what a difference!". And I'm over here like, I can't tell a damn bit of difference, wtf are they on about?. When there is more varience, sure, but not at such small intervals.

like legit, the only time i've notice a difference was with this pbt spacebar on my hhkb. the sound was just wonderful. everything else.. meh. even this bsp pbt caps feel no different than cherry GMK ****. maybe i just dont have sensitive fingers or some ****.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1858 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:54:17 »

The spring thing seriously gets me.

I so want to double blind test so many of these things. Like switch stickers, certain lube scenarios...

Quick someone get me a grant to study this!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1859 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:58:42 »
If you finally have found the best typing experience, who cares if it was due to a placebo effect.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1860 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:05:54 »

Take your gloves off.
Is demik really Strong Bad?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1861 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:35:14 »

If you finally have found the best typing experience, who cares if it was due to a placebo effect.

Cause when people find their "best" typing experience they then shout it from the rooftops and get the less experienced to buy snake oil, and then we're just the  equivalent of the audiophile crowd but $300 cables when $5'll do.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1862 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:46:36 »

Cause when people find their "best" typing experience they then shout it from the rooftops and get the less experienced to buy snake oil, and then we're just the  equivalent of the audiophile crowd but $300 cables when $5'll do.

Only a deeply naive individual believes someone else's best experience may be her own.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1863 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 21:11:34 »

Heck you can spend less on 14-gauge lamp cord.  Get a spool, done.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1864 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:00:15 »

Only a deeply naive individual believes someone else's best experience may be her own.
Well said sir.  If only more people in the world had the ability to comprehend such wisdom...

Offline priyadi

« Reply #1865 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:05:30 »
  • Artisan keycaps are ugly.
  • I really despise keyboards with steep inclination, and by extension, just about 90% of Korean customs keyboards.
  • All ABS keycaps must be in glossy finish. Why bother doing it in matte, when keycaps will get glossier and glossier over time?
  • I hate HHKB's second layer. Arrows must be in home row.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1866 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 23:15:45 »
  • Artisan keycaps are ugly. (Even more if you consider their insanely high resale prices)
  • I really despise keyboards with steep inclination, and by extension, just about 90% of Korean customs keyboards. (Negative tilt is the best ergonomic position for keyboards, who make them the opposite).
  • All ABS keycaps must be in glossy finish. Why bother doing it in matte, when keycaps will get glossier and glossier over time? (This is why OG DS Cherry rocks)
  • I hate HHKB's second layer. Arrows must be in home row. (I hate the evangelists on Topre and HHKB)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #1867 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 02:57:22 »
60% keyboards don't need metal plates, or plates of any sort.
LEDs are gimmicky
Cherry over CoStar stabs

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline nephiel

« Reply #1868 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 05:05:34 »
Dedicated numpads, like arrow keys, are just a waste of space when your board has programmable layers, since you can make them appear on the home row at any time right where your fingers already are.

Graffiti™ is the best text input method ever for touchscreen devices. Seriously, onscreen keyboards are so dumb and unsuitable for the task I think their designers are trolling on purpose. "Let's take a computer board, shrink it down to unmanageable size and put it on a flat surface where you can't tell where keys are by touch alone". Good grief.

LEDs are gimmicky
Cherry over CoStar stabs
You need a plate to hold the switches if you don't use a PCB. I agree about the LEDs and stabs though.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #1869 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 06:09:10 »
  • Artisan keycaps are ugly.
Yeah. I find most of them objectively ugly, but I still want them, don't know really why, maybe this is for their rarity or just to complete the keyboard collection. I think I'm a huge victim of the mechanical keyboard consumer society. :D

• I really despise keyboards with steep inclination, and by extension, just about 90% of Korean customs keyboards.
Yeah this is dumb, but it doesn't make me not use them. Korean keyboards have so much more than any other keyboard, it's just sad they all are so inclined.

• All ABS keycaps must be in glossy finish. Why bother doing it in matte, when keycaps will get glossier and glossier over time?

• I hate HHKB's second layer. Arrows must be in home row.
Yep. Already said this on that same topic.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline E3E

« Reply #1870 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 07:53:08 »
Yeah. I find most of them objectively ugly, but I still want them, don't know really why, maybe this is for their rarity or just to complete the keyboard collection. I think I'm a huge victim of the mechanical keyboard consumer society. :D

This is the aspect I hate most about the effect this community has on me. I'm glad to really not have any care for artisans, but the feeling can strike me hard if I need something to finish a build or any projects.

If I hadn't gone on any side projects or bothered exploring Alps land, I'd have been able to buy about 4-5 different Korean customs by now. I've ended up sticking to just buying further versions of the Octagon and Lightpad and ignoring all other GBs in terms of purchase. I have a semi-practical view, but I still get bit with wanting to buy too many things at once sometimes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2015, 07:57:14 by E3E »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1871 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 08:33:05 »
LEDs are gimmicky
Cherry over CoStar stabs

These are all really popular too (in increasing order). I think three or four people have mentioned LEDs in the last two pages of this thread and lots of people agreed.

And I think in the three years I've been in this hobby I've heard maybe two or three people prefer costar over cherry stabs - if that.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1872 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 09:03:44 »
Graffiti™ is the best text input method ever for touchscreen devices.
I completely agree!  I was bummed when my palm treo wasn't just one touch screen that could allow the use of Graffiti.  When you got it down, you could easily type almost as fast as you could write, if not a little faster.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1873 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 09:29:30 »

And only a very naive individual thinks that they are completely unswayed by others opinions.

In the absence of fact all you're left with is opinion. And without infinite funds and access, people rely on others for reviews.

So yeah, some controlled tests would bring some of these opinions that are highly dependent upon biases into sharper relief.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #1874 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 09:59:44 »
The (mis)alignment of nearly every keyboard ever is old fashioned, and any company that doesn't reconsider the qwerty layout as the default is dumb, stupid and shouldn't be allowed to earn money from keyboard sales.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1875 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 10:08:23 »
The (mis)alignment of nearly every keyboard ever is old fashioned, and any company that doesn't reconsider the qwerty layout as the default is dumb, stupid and shouldn't be allowed to earn money from keyboard sales.

What does that mean?  Are you saying that all keyboards are old fashioned, and all keyboard companies should reconsider having a QWERTY layout?  Maybe you can elaborate on what layout would work best for everyone out there.  I am sure you have something in mind that would make you more money from keyboard sales, right?

Makes sense.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #1876 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 12:21:34 »
LEDs are gimmicky
Cherry over CoStar stabs

These are all really popular too (in increasing order). I think three or four people have mentioned LEDs in the last two pages of this thread and lots of people agreed.

And I think in the three years I've been in this hobby I've heard maybe two or three people prefer costar over cherry stabs - if that.

What if I thought my (in reality popular) keyboard opinions where unpopular. And so that makes my opinions unpopular?!  :-X :-\

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1877 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 14:16:30 »
Keyboards are tools; therefore, anything that turns them otherwise and does not add to their usefulness, is a waste of money and time:

- Artisian's.
- LEDs.
- [size=78%]fill your own here.[/size]

Offline E3E

« Reply #1878 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 14:34:15 »
A popular unpopular opinion is that LEDs are trivial and needless.

An unpopular popular opinion is that LEDs add an amazing bedazzling aspect to a keyboard, and that we should pray to the RGB gods to grace us with their glorious rainbow light.

That said, I don't mind it either way.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1879 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 14:46:05 »

An unpopular popular opinion is that LEDs add an amazing bedazzling aspect to a keyboard, and that we should pray to the RGB gods to grace us with their glorious rainbow light.

LEDs are useful as lock indicators, if you want more lights get x-mas tree.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1880 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:00:22 »

lol!

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1881 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:15:17 »

I have cats and can't have an xmas tree, so how about I get a keyboard instead.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1882 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 23:24:01 »

Get rid of them.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1883 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:04:52 »

Get rid of them.
http://bridesthrowingcats.com/

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1884 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 06:48:52 »

Get rid of them.

This is one the weirdest things I have seen recently.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1885 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 06:54:45 »

And only a very naive individual thinks that they are completely unswayed by others opinions.

This reminds me of a quote from A. A. Milne:

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ika

« Reply #1886 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 11:20:40 »
I got a 55g Realforce today and I prefer 45g. They might do better in an HHKB but everyone treats 55g Topre like the holy ****in grail.

Offline dutC4

« Reply #1887 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 11:32:32 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:00:59 by dutC4 »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1888 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 11:36:46 »
I got a 55g Realforce today and I prefer 45g. They might do better in an HHKB but everyone treats 55g Topre like the holy ****in grail.
mx clears and 55g topre

so much hype for these two things you feel stupid if you don't try them out then you feel stupid when you do :)

Clears are great when spring swapped and lubbed, stock clears is indeed meh.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1889 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 11:53:03 »
Ergo Clears, 55g Topre, and Salmon Alps = best switches NA.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1890 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 12:07:15 »

Get rid of them.

This is what happened when I  searched for 'throwing cats', lol.  Pretty hilarious once you realize they're all fake.

Offline dante

« Reply #1891 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 12:21:12 »
It's okay to trash rubberdomes for being crappy as long as I can trash all mechanicals for being crappy because all I've tried is a TVS-e Gold and Ducky XM.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1892 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 15:43:47 »
It's okay to trash rubberdomes for being crappy as long as I can trash all mechanicals for being crappy because all I've tried is a TVS-e Gold and Ducky XM.

Trash talking something for it's poor quality is different than trash talking something because you have not tried it, it's two completely different animals.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #1893 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 15:45:59 »
I really liked the addon that got banned from the recent MD Otaku set  :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1894 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:42:17 »

Get rid of them.

This is what happened when I  searched for 'throwing cats', lol.  Pretty hilarious once you realize they're all fake.

Imagine a bride throwing cats instead of flowers.

Offline dante

« Reply #1895 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 18:00:41 »

Trash talking something for it's poor quality is different than trash talking something because you have not tried it, it's two completely different animals.

Just tired of the "ewwww rubber domes so attrocious!"  Hey maybe you don't like them, but if you are going to judge ALL of them based on a select few - then you deserve to be called out.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1896 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 18:11:41 »
Just tired of the "ewwww rubber domes so attrocious!"  Hey maybe you don't like them, but if you are going to judge ALL of them based on a select few - then you deserve to be called out.

That's true.

Or the folks that won't even touch a buckling spring keyboard.
Some are more influenced by others more influenced by others.

Hmm.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1897 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:04:09 »

the rising sun?

Offline dante

« Reply #1898 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:49:53 »

the rising sun?

Yes.  Apparently there are some who are offended by the image.

If they are that offended it is curious that they would be interested in a Japanese character keyset.  Perhaps if they are so offended they should take it a step further and ban all Japanese products from Korea - including Realforce and Filco keyboards.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1899 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:44:33 »

the rising sun?

Yes.  Apparently there are some who are offended by the image.

If they are that offended it is curious that they would be interested in a Japanese character keyset.  Perhaps if they are so offended they should take it a step further and ban all Japanese products from Korea - including Realforce and Filco keyboards.

It's about the symbol means, it's the same as the Germans taken offense to the Swastika. It represents a dark time in their countries past, you're logic is very flawed in saying that all Japanese products should be banned because they take offense to a symbol. Realforce and Filco have nothing to do with atrocities linked to rising sun flag. I suggest you do a little reading, http://thewandereronline.com/why-one-should-never-use-the-japanese-rising-sun-flag-by-dongwoo-kim/
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5