Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268634 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #1950 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:21:42 »
Numpad is the cd rom drive of the keyboard

They remind me of using a GPS unit instead of your phone for directions. Like some people might find them better or they have some applications where they're superior, but most people just use them out of habit rather than any real advantage.

Truth be told, I have my Duck Lightpad for 1) aesthetics, 2) because it "completes" the 75% layout of my Octagon, 3) keybinds and macros - keypads are great for that. Rarely do I ever use it for any kind of data entry, though I feel like a professional whenever I enter 1-handed number combos with it.

Yep, "vintage" ergo clears and sorbothane dampening on a pad that gets much less use than the main keyboard, but hey... It is nice when I DO use it.  :-[

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1951 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:32:20 »

They remind me of using a GPS unit instead of your phone for directions. Like some people might find them better or they have some applications where they're superior, but most people just use them out of habit rather than any real advantage.

Truth be told, I have my Duck Lightpad for 1) aesthetics, 2) because it "completes" the 75% layout of my Octagon, 3) keybinds and macros - keypads are great for that. Rarely do I ever use it for any kind of data entry, though I feel like a professional whenever I enter 1-handed number combos with it.

Yep, "vintage" ergo clears and sorbothane dampening on a pad that gets much less use than the main keyboard, but hey... It is nice when I DO use it.  :-[

I love the look of the Lightpads, I would possibly pick one up for reasons you mentioned like aesthetics and macros.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1952 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:42:34 »

Hell I've got a numpad in the mail right now to use at work. But thats just cause I feel like that will be a bit more inconspicuous than an entire work keyboard...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1953 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:04:20 »

No love for dedicated devices anymore, huh?

I love using a dedicated GPS unit, for multiple reasons.  1, it's just easier having a separate device so you don't have to worry about your phone spouting instructions off while you're in the gas station relieving yourself.  2, they have far better support for saving destinations, setting up routes with multiple stop points, etc, at least IME.  3, (this is the big one for me) some phones don't even have GPS units inside, they use cell towers to get your location - good luck navigating with your iPhone if you don't have cell service...  :rolleyes:  learned that one the hard way.

Anyway, I also need my numpad...how do the kids enter data these days without a numpad?  :confused:

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #1954 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:13:17 »

No love for dedicated devices anymore, huh?

I love using a dedicated GPS unit, for multiple reasons.  1, it's just easier having a separate device so you don't have to worry about your phone spouting instructions off while you're in the gas station relieving yourself.  2, they have far better support for saving destinations, setting up routes with multiple stop points, etc, at least IME.  3, (this is the big one for me) some phones don't even have GPS units inside, they use cell towers to get your location - good luck navigating with your iPhone if you don't have cell service...  :rolleyes:  learned that one the hard way.

Anyway, I also need my numpad...how do the kids enter data these days without a numpad?  :confused:

The feature I miss from my GPS unit is that it showed the speed limit where ever I was. It died, my phone works well enough as a GPS so I never replaced the GPS unit, but now I have to look for speed limit road signs like a cave man.

Offline dr_habu

« Reply #1955 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:17:39 »

I agree - I can't imagine having a computer without an optical drive just as much as I can't imagine having a keyboard without a numpad

yeah, I know that's not what you meant
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:19:27 by dr_habu »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1956 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:23:54 »
The feature I miss from my GPS unit is that it showed the speed limit where ever I was. It died, my phone works well enough as a GPS so I never replaced the GPS unit, but now I have to look for speed limit road signs like a cave man.

That's another great feature!  Although not so great those very rare times that the speed limit would be changed to a lower speed and the GPS wouldn't know it.  :-X

I agree - I can't imagine having a computer without an optical drive just as much as I can't imagine having a keyboard without a numpad

yeah, I know that's not what you meant

Hehe, agreed.  A cheap optical drive costs $20 (if that).  Even if I don't use mine every day or nearly as often as I used to, why would I knowingly cripple myself for the times I do need one? 

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1957 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 20:58:49 »
Too much bro caps on gh...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1958 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 21:39:04 »
Most artisan's are fugly.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1959 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 23:59:39 »
TKLs are overrated.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1960 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 00:05:10 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1961 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 00:08:42 »
TKLs are overrated.

60% is ****.

Good thing I'm not much of a 60% fan either. :P

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1962 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:01:29 »
TKLs are overrated.

60% is ****.

Psh, I use an octo-layer numpad as my daily driver.  Full-size, TKLs, and 60% boards are all too mainstream for me.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #1963 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:11:53 »
TKLs are overrated.

The vast majority of the time I use my computer for internet browsing, and I enjoy navigating websites and forums with the nav cluster.  I hardly ever have to type in more numbers than just my credit card information, so a dedicated numpad for just that purpose seems ridiculously unnecessary.  I would think that most casual users use their computer in a similar way, and thus would also feel that the nav cluster in a TKL board is one of the more used sections of a keyboard when not 'typing'.  Ive never owned a 60% board, and even with typing alone, I use the delete key enough to basically require it to be on a primary layer.  A full size keyboard takes up a lot of space just for a numpad that I seldom use, if at all since even when im entering numbers into spreadsheets (which is rare), I tend to just use the number row.  Redundant keys for infrequent tasks just seems like a waste of space.  Of course, this would be different if the num pad was on the left side of the keyboard, but this is almost never the case.  So for casual home-use boards, I would say that the TKL design is the best compromise between space and usability without wanting to adapt to a 60% setup with layers and such.  It is the best board size for retaining the functionality of a full size board without redundant keys, therefore it is no mystery to me why it is the most popular among users.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1964 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:23:22 »
TKLs are overrated.

60% is ****.

Psh, I use an octo-layer numpad as my daily driver.  Full-size, TKLs, and 60% boards are all too mainstream for me.

Ahaha. My Lightpad has 22 keys, just 4 short of the English alphabet! Now you're giving me ideas!  >:D

TKLs are overrated.

The vast majority of the time I use my computer for internet browsing, and I enjoy navigating websites and forums with the nav cluster.  I hardly ever have to type in more numbers than just my credit card information, so a dedicated numpad for just that purpose seems ridiculously unnecessary.  I would think that most casual users use their computer in a similar way, and thus would also feel that the nav cluster in a TKL board is one of the more used sections of a keyboard when not 'typing'.  Ive never owned a 60% board, and even with typing alone, I use the delete key enough to basically require it to be on a primary layer.  A full size keyboard takes up a lot of space just for a numpad that I seldom use, if at all since even when im entering numbers into spreadsheets (which is rare), I tend to just use the number row.  Redundant keys for infrequent tasks just seems like a waste of space.  Of course, this would be different if the num pad was on the left side of the keyboard, but this is almost never the case.  So for casual home-use boards, I would say that the TKL design is the best compromise between space and usability without wanting to adapt to a 60% setup with layers and such.  It is the best board size for retaining the functionality of a full size board without redundant keys, therefore it is no mystery to me why it is the most popular among users.

You guys thought I was in favor of 60% when it was actually, me, 75%!

I hear you though. Nav clusters and and arrows are a wonderful convenience, as is having the function row just in case. 75% is definitely my favorite layout, hands down. I find it more practical than TKL, though it is missing three keys, but I think the difference in size makes up for it. I still get the nav cluster and arrows and can map it however either way. :)  I personally love compact layouts that retain functionality like 75% does.

TKL is definitely the most popular layout by far, I think. I do find 60% layouts to be the most  aesthetically pleasing though I also find TKLs to look quite nice, but I just don't enjoy using them. Everything is too spaced out than necessary. I already know the retort to this being the exact opposite of what was said. xD I know, the 75% layout has a tendency to look like a slab of keys.

For the 60%s I do have, which  have either been bought through coincidence for a project or because I really liked the style (bent case infinity), I like to create the layers to be as practical as possible. On my Duck Eagles, both feel fantastic and I have the most important keys on the first layer, including delete. :D Arrows and F-row on the second layer while 2nd layer + function turns the arrows into the nav cluster (Home, End, Pg Down, Pg Up).

It's made the 60% layout a lot more pleasant for me.

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:26:19 by E3E »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1965 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:07:36 »
I miss this thread, so I'm bringing it back.
I actually prefer the feeling of OG ABS sets to the OG dyesub PBT ones. Sue me.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1966 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:17:23 »
I miss this thread, so I'm bringing it back.
I actually prefer the feeling of OG ABS sets to the OG dyesub PBT ones. Sue me.

I was just thinking of this.

Is it unpopular to love 75% layouts while not liking 65% layouts?

I also like OG ABS when it comes to Alps over OG PBT.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1967 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:19:19 »

Speaking of this... I think we're on good enough terms for me to finally say this...

75% is the ugliest layout.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1968 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:20:55 »

Speaking of this... I think we're on good enough terms for me to finally say this...

:'(

It's okay.

No, but seriously.  >:D

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1969 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:22:28 »

It's okay.

demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1970 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:27:45 »

It's okay.

Show Image

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1971 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:28:25 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1972 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:29:10 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1973 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:35:11 »

75% is not for me. In addition to looking bad like you've said, I had to always look down to press any keys outside of the standard 60% area. On a TKL you can feel your way around, but not so in a 75%. Not worth saving 10 square inches of desk space over, if you ask me.  ;)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1974 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:44:41 »
I've just gotten so used to having everything integrated on a 60% that it feels like way more effort to move my hands at all for the arrow keys, instead of just having them on a FN layer on the home row.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1975 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:46:14 »

75% is not for me. In addition to looking bad like you've said, I had to always look down to press any keys outside of the standard 60% area. On a TKL you can feel your way around, but not so in a 75%. Not worth saving 10 square inches of desk space over, if you ask me.  ;)

Haha, good. Another post so I don't double post and can actually respond with how I feel about the 75% layout. 

I've gotten really used to the layout, so I never really have to look down these days. I definitely agree that a TKL has better separation between regions, just like a full-size board, but, since I'm a fan of optimizing space, I prefer 75% layouts. To me, a TKL is just wasting space. The separation though is definitely a big plus to a lot of people, I think. They do look nice too! 

When I first saw the Race II, the first 75% I set my eyes upon, I did think they looked like an ugly slab of keys. Judging by the people on imgur calling my Octagon ugly when I wanted to test a random upload, haha... Yeah I think most people don't really care for 75%.

I'm really not sure why I decided to try it (it definitely wasn't driven by aesthetics--60% is my favorite there). I think probably because my first mechanical board was a Rapoo KX, which has arrow keys and a function row, so I figured keeping a layout as close to that (I enjoyed the KX) would be optimal for me. That's probably also why I was so used to it off that bat, from using the KX and laptops with that layout for ages. :) That must be why I lean so heavily to 75% layouts.

And thus, TKL being an almost mechanical keyboard exclusive layout, has been one I've never been too familiar with. I've barely even used full-sized boards aside from my earliest PC days and when I needed a keyboard to chat while playing PS2 games online or for Xbox Live messages.

Dear god, the slab of keys is almost as a bad as the tl;dr here, lol. :P

EDIT: After my Alps build, I am growing awfully fond of the 60% layout as I use it more and more every day. Dare say I might prefer it more than my Octagon. :eek:
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:51:32 by E3E »

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #1976 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:19:33 »
Full-hand Ergodox cases are the most hideous things ever.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #1977 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:36:41 »
ergo clear feel weird

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1978 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 03:22:51 »
GMK TA is the optimal set for smooshed-together layouts like 75%, FC660 etc, because the arrow keys are taller than the rest of their row.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1979 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:04:21 »
the 2 Korean Custom keyboards I have used, the anodizing was really badly done...

Once I got a Digilog case, it really put in perspective that my previous Korean customs just where sub par.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1980 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:05:28 »
the 2 Korean Custom keyboards I have used, the anodizing was really badly done...

Once I got a Digilog case, it really put in perspective that my previous Korean customs just where sub par.

shots fired!  :p

Offline ika

« Reply #1981 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:12:30 »
Sandwich style cases, especially with steel, looks awful. Basically anything with visible screws look bad but the JD40 style plate sandwiches look hideous.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1982 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:32:23 »

what kustoms have you had? some definitely have sub-par anodizing
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1983 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:35:45 »
I'm not a fan of DCS profile keys and prefer DSA - feels unpopular on GH at least.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #1984 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:43:25 »
Sandwich style cases, especially with steel, looks awful. Basically anything with visible screws look bad but the JD40 style plate sandwiches look hideous.

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #1985 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:37:07 »
I do not think Dolch is any better or worse than any other key set.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1986 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:11:26 »
ergo clear feel weird

regular ergo clears feel weird

lubed 62g vintage ergo clears feel amazing.  ^-^

Offline ika

« Reply #1987 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:12:48 »
Show Image

brb need some eye bleach after seeing this picture

:P

Offline E3E

« Reply #1988 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:30:16 »
ergo clear feel weird

regular ergo clears feel weird

lubed 62g vintage ergo clears feel amazing.  ^-^

Truth. :)

Show Image

brb need some eye bleach after seeing this picture

:P

At least it has wrist and palm support?

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #1989 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:41:48 »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1990 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:31:12 »

I've used both.  The TKL boards here and there, the 75% more because of laptop use (I don't bother hooking a keyboard up to my laptop as it's a secondary computer for me and I'm already tight on desk space).  Honestly, I've really not had many problems with the 75% layout. 

One thing I will say is that most laptops have a superior layout - the Fn key is on the left side rather than the right side.  Makes life much easier for me if I need an Fn key and have my right hand on the mouse.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1991 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:34:18 »
I'm not a fan of DCS profile keys and prefer DSA - feels unpopular on GH at least.

Don't worry, both of them suck.

Cherry is the only way.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1992 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:21:00 »

Cherry is the only way.

I mean, OG Alps is pretty sick, tho. :P

Offline Enigma945

« Reply #1993 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 21:26:38 »
Not even dsa,  SA is the real way to go

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1994 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 01:43:42 »

Cherry is the only way.

Cherry, OEM, DCS; sound the same to me. DSA > all else  :-[

Not even dsa,  SA is the real way to go

Never tried SA so can't say much there.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1995 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 07:45:57 »
DCS has similar shape than Cherry but it is pretty thin so it does feel hallow while Cherry is thick and feels substantial. OEM is taller and most of the caps I have tried are very thin; in conclusion, both suck.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1996 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 07:52:00 »
DCS has similar shape than Cherry but it is pretty thin so it does feel hallow while Cherry is thick and feels substantial. OEM is taller and most of the caps I have tried are very thin; in conclusion, both suck.

The only reason I'm okay with DCS for the time being is that it's one of our only options for custom Alps caps right now. Before getting into Alps, I used to despise the look of DCS because of its rounded corners.

Admittedly, it's grown on me as a result of my fascination with Alps. Thin caps are definitely not that great aside from when used on clicky switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1997 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 08:23:10 »

The only reason I'm okay with DCS for the time being is that it's one of our only options for custom Alps caps right now. Before getting into Alps, I used to despise the look of DCS because of its rounded corners.

Admittedly, it's grown on me as a result of my fascination with Alps. Thin caps are definitely not that great aside from when used on clicky switches.

I understand you very well; because, in my early days into keyboards I preferred ALPS, but I was very frustrated with the lack of quality caps for my board, a TKL, I felt even more frustrated by looking at pictures of sixty boards with key-caps that have bold legends and very nice shape - The OG Cherry sets - I found as well that Cherry switches came in all sort of tactile and linear stems and with different spring modules. I solved part of my frustration getting a Focus 2001 and swapping its nice key caps to my TKL, I found then the final reason to get away from ALPS, stabilizers were not standard, so I cannot swap the modifiers between boards, I sold all my ALPS and move to Cherry, later to programmable and custom based PCBs and I cannot be more happy now, using an OG Cherry set on my custom programmable board with my choice of stems and springs and even the tops are my selected clear type, - that set was the first "expensive" set that I bought and it was under fifty dollars, lol -

Offline hdrst

« Reply #1998 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 10:26:25 »
I like Big-Ass-Enter Layout, but it's hard to find keycaps :(

Mitsumi KFK-EA4XA(W)+(B) Keycaps - Mitsumi KFK-EA4XA(B) ------ Cougar Attack 2 ------------------- Ducky 2108LS

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1999 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 10:31:42 »
I like Big-Ass-Enter Layout, but it's hard to find keycaps :(

I like how the big ass enter looks, but it is harder to use than ANSI enter, besides there is very few ANSI OG Cherry sets with an ISO enter, the closest being the UK based ones.