Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268627 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2000 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 13:17:50 »
DCS has similar shape than Cherry but it is pretty thin so it does feel hallow while Cherry is thick and feels substantial. OEM is taller and most of the caps I have tried are very thin; in conclusion, both suck.

The only reason I'm okay with DCS for the time being is that it's one of our only options for custom Alps caps right now. Before getting into Alps, I used to despise the look of DCS because of its rounded corners.

Admittedly, it's grown on me as a result of my fascination with Alps. Thin caps are definitely not that great aside from when used on clicky switches.

I understand you very well; because, in my early days into keyboards I preferred ALPS, but I was very frustrated with the lack of quality caps for my board, a TKL, I felt even more frustrated by looking at pictures of sixty boards with key-caps that have bold legends and very nice shape - The OG Cherry sets - I found as well that Cherry switches came in all sort of tactile and linear stems and with different spring modules. I solved part of my frustration getting a Focus 2001 and swapping its nice key caps to my TKL, I found then the final reason to get away from ALPS, stabilizers were not standard, so I cannot swap the modifiers between boards, I sold all my ALPS and move to Cherry, later to programmable and custom based PCBs and I cannot be more happy now, using an OG Cherry set on my custom programmable board with my choice of stems and springs and even the tops are my selected clear type, - that set was the first "expensive" set that I bought and it was under fifty dollars, lol -

nice typeface m80
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2001 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 13:19:05 »
I like Big-Ass-Enter Layout, but it's hard to find keycaps :(

It doesn't look too bad; it would be fine if not for that 1u backspace that I constantly miss-hit (usually miss entirely :p).
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #2002 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:00:50 »
I like SA DCS keys. Also, i am not a huge fan of Cherry profile/GMK keys.

Offline hdrst

« Reply #2003 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:07:23 »

I like how the big ass enter looks, but it is harder to use than ANSI enter, besides there is very few ANSI OG Cherry sets with an ISO enter, the closest being the UK based ones.
it's because some of the variants of big-ass-enter stabilizer, making hard to press when hit the upper side.
big ass enter stabiliser variants:
More
Ducky/thermaltake meka/oldier keyboards

Alps in geral
http://kbd.rzw.jp/alps/macway_tp-997kb-j/

Steelseries 7g/6g/skydigital/zowie celeritas and variants

Benq KX890 variants:

Zenith Supersport SX:

Some Cherry:

NMB Space Invaders(nearly the best):
http://kbd.rzw.jp/nmb/nmb_rt8255cwplus/

It doesn't look too bad; it would be fine if not for that 1u backspace that I constantly miss-hit (usually miss entirely :p).
b...but i like 1u backspace too :(

Mitsumi KFK-EA4XA(W)+(B) Keycaps - Mitsumi KFK-EA4XA(B) ------ Cougar Attack 2 ------------------- Ducky 2108LS

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2004 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:42:22 »
Backlighting a keyboard makes as much sense as embedding LEDs in your car's steering wheel.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2005 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:45:33 »
Backlighting a keyboard makes as much sense as embedding LEDs in your car's steering wheel.

I think this is not an unpopular opinion at all, it just happens that people that own keyboards with LEDs tend to post pictures of them more and people are more vocal in praising these kind of setups.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:48:59 by ideus »

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2006 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:46:11 »

I think it would be more like having them on the car's dashboard

Offline E3E

« Reply #2007 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:47:30 »

I like backlighting! But I also like boards that aren't backlit! Universal love!

I admit, my Jukebox Octagon has unicorn LED vomit beneath its caps.

My intention there was to give it that rainbow look that a jukebox tends to have (at least in my imagination).

Haha.

THIS. This is an amazing analogy.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:55:00 »

THIS. This is an amazing analogy.

And, oddly enough, every car dashboard has backlighting...  ;)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2009 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:56:19 »
I wish I'd typed this instead:

"Backlighting a keyboard makes as much sense as wrapping Christmas lights around your car's steering wheel."

But what's done is done.

I think this is not an unpopular opinion at all, it is just happens that people that own keyboards with LEDs tend to post pictures of them more and people are more vocal in praising these kind of setups.

Indeed. What's next—ostrich feathers?

The wheel's the part you operate with your hands, though, and a part you're not supposed to look at while you're driving.

I like backlighting! But I also like boards that aren't backlit! Universal love!

Okay, but this doesn't really seem like the right place for such tolerance. It's more of a kvetching topic.

And, oddly enough, every car dashboard has backlighting...  ;)

Exactly.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E3E

« Reply #2010 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:32:18 »
Here's an interesting opinion that isn't just related to keyboards: I love coiled cables for keyboards. I hate coiled cables on headphones. When I first got into the keyboard scene, I thought I would've felt the same way coming out of the headphone scene, but nope, only the exact opposite!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2011 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:35:50 »
Here's an interesting opinion that isn't just related to keyboards: I love coiled cables for keyboards. I hate coiled cables on headphones. When I first got into the keyboard scene, I thought I would've felt the same way coming out of the headphone scene, but nope, only the exact opposite!

I think there's an inherent difference between the two to begin with. Keyboard cables don't really sit anywhere near you, and headphone cables are usually draped along your body, where a coil can be very annoying.

Unless you just don't like how it looks on headphones.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #2012 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:38:56 »
I like the retro look of coiled cables.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2013 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:40:01 »

I think there's an inherent difference between the two to begin with. Keyboard cables don't really sit anywhere near you, and headphone cables are usually draped along your body, where a coil can be very annoying.

Unless you just don't like how it looks on headphones.

Yeah, I meant that in a more aesthetic sense, but they are also certainly a pain in other ways as well, mainly in the coils snagging or tangling with any straight cables in the nearby vicinity quite easily. While coils may improve length while keeping things a bit more compact, the spring tension created makes it incredibly annoying if you start reaching the maximum length of the cable, with the headphones wanting to pull themselves off of your head.

I actually never stretch the coils on my vintage boards, and coils on custom cables were never meant to be extended. I just find them very pretty on keyboards. On headphones, I don't think coils look that good at all.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2014 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 00:54:17 »
As much as I like carbon its pretty much a ripoff of Hack'd by Geeks

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #2015 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 01:05:11 »
i hate not having arrow keys, i have the curvyness of dsa sa keycaps (havent used them yet, and some of their styles are damn nice tho)
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2016 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 01:35:48 »
i have the curvyness of dsa sa keycaps (havent used them yet, and some of their styles are damn nice tho)

I didn't like them until I tried them and promptly fell in love with SA

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #2017 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 05:55:41 »
i have the curvyness of dsa sa keycaps (havent used them yet, and some of their styles are damn nice tho)

Really, man I am afraid of the hit and miss. I could see me hating them, but then again I have no idea. Is your type speed affected?
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2018 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:05:42 »
As much as I like carbon its pretty much a ripoff of Hack'd by Geeks

It seems as if a sort of fashion season affects the people involve in selecting colors for upcoming sets and most of the new proposals share the same palette and same concept, that is just boring.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2019 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:07:36 »

Really, man I am afraid of the hit and miss. I could see me hating them, but then again I have no idea. Is your type speed affected?

I've hit several of my peak speeds using sculpted SA - I don't use them anymore because cherry profile is really my favourite (both feels wise and aesthetically)

If you want I'd be happy to send you down a set for you to try out

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2020 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:10:00 »

I've hit several of my peak speeds using sculpted SA - I don't use them anymore because cherry profile is really my favourite (both feels wise and aesthetically)

Australians team-back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2021 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:12:47 »

I'm starting to feel myself lean away from my Octagon with SA these days. The monster 11 degree incline + SA profile caps have never really bothered me, but after typing on the Hammer case with a 7-8 degree incline and Alps profile caps, I'm finding that I prefer that a bit over the Octagon with SA. 

It might be this stupid RSI on my right thumb that is still healing (I hope) that makes it more annoying to type on the Octagon, I dunno!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2022 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:16:34 »

I'm starting to feel myself lean away from my Octagon with SA these days. The monster 11 degree incline + SA profile caps have never really bothered me, but after typing on the Hammer case with a 7-8 degree incline and Alps profile caps, I'm finding that I prefer that a bit over the Octagon with SA. 

It might be this stupid RSI on my right thumb that is still healing (I hope) that makes it more annoying to type on the Octagon, I dunno!

Try some Cherry profile keys on your Octagon and use some support under its front to lowered its angle to check if the inclination and the profile of the caps are causing you the RSI. In my experience zero inclination makes the best for typing and for ergonomics.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2023 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:17:44 »

Yeah I don't think SA works too well when you've already got such a steep angle

Offline E3E

« Reply #2024 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:20:08 »
Try some Cherry profile keys on your Octagon and use some support under its front to lowered its angle to check if the inclination and the profile of the caps are causing you the RSI. In my experience zero inclination makes the best for typing and for ergonomics.

The RSI came into being suddenly one day, but not even with the Octagon! It was when I was lazily typing while laying down in bed with my laptop in front of me. Typing in a prone position is probably the dumbest thing, but yep.

I was using my Infinity keyboard and pretty bad form, and then suddenly I get this odd annoying pain in my thumb. Gah, stupid me. :( I hope it goes away! It's been about a month and a week now. 

The Infinity keyboard has a very harsh type feel, which is actually kind of pleasant until you realize it's not being nice to your joints and muscles. :P The bent case, for some reason, creates a type feel that is stiffer than anything I've ever tried.

Yeah I don't think SA works too well when you've already got such a steep angle

Yeah, I heard it works best on a flat board, but it was more of a thematic choice for the Octagon, as I felt the Jukebox set would fit it really nicely. For the second Octagon, I'm definitely going with Cherry profile thanks to GMK SNES being around the corner. That should be perfect.  SA hasn't really bothered me though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:22:29 by E3E »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2025 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:25:56 »
Ahem, wth. Sorry for this post.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2026 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:29:58 »
You may even try negative angles, these may be one the best known unpopular keyboard opinions; but, negative angles are actually better for ergonomics. I healed myself from an incipient RSI just by tilting my keyboard front up.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2027 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:58:10 »
You may even try negative angles, these may be one the best known unpopular keyboard opinions; but, negative angles are actually better for ergonomics. I healed myself from an incipient RSI just by tilting my keyboard front up.

Thanks ideus. I have heard of that and actually thought positive incline was stupid until I tried it and got used to it. None of my boards aside from my OG mechanical, my Rapoo KX, would be too feasible with a negative tilt.

Ironically enough, since it's PCB-mount, has ergo clears at 62g, and has o-rings installed, it's probably the most gentle of any of my keyboards in terms of shock to one's joints. I still have a special place in my heart for this one. Was one of the first boards I modded. :)

It is really easy to NOT bottom out on the Octagon though, with these tall SA caps. Even if I do bottom out, it's very light.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #2028 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:06:37 »
Yeah, that too, sand which style cases.. I love the plank but whenever I see one in a sandwich it just makes me sad
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #2029 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:58:24 »

Glad to hear you are no longer suffering from RSI man, it's a *****, I haven't dealt with it myself but I've had similar aches related to restricted movement, no fun.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2030 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:10:46 »

Glad to hear you are no longer suffering from RSI man, it's a *****, I haven't dealt with it myself but I've had similar aches related to restricted movement, no fun.

It is a pain in the ass, or thumb rather. Ugh, once it heals, I'm never going to be so careless again. :-X

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #2031 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:12:16 »

It is a pain in the ass, or thumb rather. Ugh, once it heals, I'm never going to be so careless again. :-X

Good luck, bro!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2032 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 23:29:16 »
RSI sucks!  I hope you heal soon.  May want to stop using your thumb completely for a while.  I got a splint for my entire forearm from cvs the last time I had an RSI and kept it on 24x7 for about 3 days and it helped the healing tremendously, but mine was literally in my wrist.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2033 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 00:03:55 »
RSI sucks!  I hope you heal soon.  May want to stop using your thumb completely for a while.  I got a splint for my entire forearm from cvs the last time I had an RSI and kept it on 24x7 for about 3 days and it helped the healing tremendously, but mine was literally in my wrist.

Thanks! I do my best to resist my muscle memory and use the space bar with my left thumb as opposed to my right. I have used a brace for my thumb and just recently given some deep tissue massages to my thumb, as funky as that sounds--that helped immensely. It feels like it's healed quite a bit already. I tend to use a heating pad every night in bed to help soothe it. I looked up a few tips for healing RSI, and by far, the "doorway stretches," pretty much just stretching your arms out in a T-shape with fingers spread wide. You can feel the tingle in your fingers. That and the massage have really helped a crazy amount, more than the heat or brace have, imo.

I definitely want to beat this dumb RSI. I've heard of horror stories, so I'm doing my best to treat it!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2034 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:23:10 »

Thanks! I do my best to resist my muscle memory and use the space bar with my left thumb as opposed to my right. I have used a brace for my thumb and just recently given some deep tissue massages to my thumb, as funky as that sounds--that helped immensely. It feels like it's healed quite a bit already. I tend to use a heating pad every night in bed to help soothe it. I looked up a few tips for healing RSI, and by far, the "doorway stretches," pretty much just stretching your arms out in a T-shape with fingers spread wide. You can feel the tingle in your fingers. That and the massage have really helped a crazy amount, more than the heat or brace have, imo.

I definitely want to beat this dumb RSI. I've heard of horror stories, so I'm doing my best to treat it!
Sounds like you're definitely on the right track!  I wouldn't expect anything less from a GH'er--we seem to do the most in depth research on whatever topic is in front of us.  :thumb:

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #2035 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:47:55 »
why is there Discourse in a thread made exclusively for unpopular keyboard opinions? like, you're not going to convince someone to actually like SA profile when they say they dislike it (etc.)

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2036 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 11:13:32 »
why is there Discourse in a thread made exclusively for unpopular keyboard opinions? like, you're not going to convince someone to actually like SA profile when they say they dislike it (etc.)

Because the internet?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2037 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 11:44:50 »

Because the internet?

Is like the sink, there is always a place that even dirty dishes can go in.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2038 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:25:05 »
Unpopular opinion?

I like linears more than tactile switches.

I do love ergo clears, but not as much as vintage blacks. The same goes for Alps. I like linears more than tactiles by far in the Alps world. Alps is the only switch family where I actually enjoy clicky switches, though I want to try MX vintage whites.

Offline pandaaqq

« Reply #2039 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:34:45 »
If you can't type more than 110-120 WPM in your native language you shouldn't talk about typing speeds on different keyboards/switches.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2040 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:40:41 »
If you can't type more than 110-120 WPM in your native language you shouldn't talk about typing speeds on different keyboards/switches.

What do you mean by that? 110-120 WPM is extremely fast.

Offline pandaaqq

« Reply #2041 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:45:51 »

If you're slower than that it's not your keyboard slowing you down but you yourself.
As a native german speaker I can still get 100-120 WPM (depending on the texts, if they use words I barely use/know I make more mistakes) on typeracer (English texts).
No matter what keyboard I use.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2042 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:49:44 »
lol linkbane v2?
I love Elzy

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2043 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:50:41 »

I agree with that to some extent. I don't think my keyboard makes me type faster, that's definitely a me problem, but it does make typing more ergonomic, which allows me to type faster for longer.
A feel the same way about gaming, however, where people claim that the right keyboard improves their gaming. You have to be goddamn good at a game and have pretty ****ing fast reaction times to have your peripherals make a difference.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #2044 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:51:11 »

If you're slower than that it's not your keyboard slowing you down but you yourself.
As a native german speaker I can still get 100-120 WPM (depending on the texts, if they use words I barely use/know I make more mistakes) on typeracer (English texts).

I find your statements...

unpopular.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2045 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:51:32 »

I agree with that to some extent. I don't think my keyboard makes me type faster, that's definitely a me problem, but it does make typing more ergonomic, which allows me to type faster for longer.
A feel the same way about gaming, however, where people claim that the right keyboard improves their gaming. You have to be goddamn good at a game and have pretty ****ing fast reaction times to have your peripherals make a difference.

Makes a difference in my gaming :\ typing too.
I love Elzy

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2046 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:51:39 »

I don't know, I've typed on Cherry blues and greens and my WPM is a bit slower on greens because the actuation force is quite a bit heavier. The first 30 words or so are no problem, but after that my fingers start to get a little fatigued. I couldn't imagine typing all day on the greens without losing a considerable amount of speed and accuracy.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2047 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:53:13 »

Well typing that's obvious because you type fast a ****. I guess perhaps it can make a difference gaming, but there are certainly other much more effective ways to improve your gaming than a keyboard. I don't think it makes the difference between winning and losing.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline pandaaqq

« Reply #2048 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:54:45 »
The difference is minor and ~100wpm should always be possible.

Of course it can be more comfortable to type on certain switches, but that doesn't make a major difference in short WPM tests.
For example, on black switches my fingers actually hurt after long gaming/typing sessions (~8 hours). I type the fastest/most error free on blue switches, but I don't suddenly type 20 WPM faster/slower on a different switch.
I play games a ton, I used to play Dota 2 competitive and ****ting up CS:GO as a global now, a keyboard makes literally no difference in gaming. Only switch I never liked were black ones, as I mentioned already, my fingers just started to hurt after long gaming sessions

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2049 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:55:01 »

Well typing that's obvious because you type fast a ****. I guess perhaps it can make a difference gaming, but there are certainly other much more effective ways to improve your gaming than a keyboard. I don't think it makes the difference between winning and losing.

One time MaSa and I were out partying or something and we stayed over at a friend's place and he had to use my GON for some online tournament and when he lost he blamed my keyboard :'(
I love Elzy