Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268651 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2050 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:56:05 »
The difference is minor and ~100wpm should always be possible.

Of course it can be more comfortable to type on certain switches, but that doesn't make a major difference in short WPM tests.
For example, on black switches my fingers actually hurt after long gaming/typing sessions (~8 hours). I type the fastest/most error free on blue switches, but I don't suddenly type 20 WPM faster/slower on a different switch.
I play games a ton, I used to play Dota 2 competitive and ****ting up CS:GO as a global now, a keyboard makes literally no difference in gaming. Only switch I never liked were black ones, as I mentioned already, my fingers just started to hurt after long gaming sessions

But I hit 145~ on vintage blacks 155~ on blues and 160+ on my clears :\ definitely a 20wpm difference for me
I love Elzy

Offline pandaaqq

« Reply #2051 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:01:19 »
I would argue that's more being used to something than the switch itself. Besides that, you're faster than what I mentioned anyway.
If you only type 60-80 WPM no keyboard in the world is going to help you. Your fingers are just slow and you don't type fast.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2052 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:03:52 »
Oh well yeah they're not gonna make you type faster... I don't think that's too unpopular of an opinion. but they do help ^^
I love Elzy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2053 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:05:30 »
What makes you faster or slower is the practice and a good technique, not the keyboard.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #2054 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:46:47 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2055 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:50:15 »
Backlighting a keyboard makes as much sense as embedding LEDs in your car's steering wheel.

I think it would be more like having them on the car's dashboard

THIS. This is an amazing analogy.

And, oddly enough, every car dashboard has backlighting...  ;)

There's no room for your common sense around here.  :p
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2056 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 18:19:03 »
Backlighting a keyboard makes as much sense as embedding LEDs in your car's steering wheel.

In particular on pricing of keyboard stuff, for Topre keyboards for example.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2057 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 20:17:52 »

I understand a brand name and build quality can go a long way with keyboards, but Topre seems unreasonably expensive to me.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline E3E

« Reply #2058 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 20:40:08 »

I understand a brand name and build quality can go a long way with keyboards, but Topre seems unreasonably expensive to me.

Do you think it's because they've cornered the market or the actual cost of the technology?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2059 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:25:15 »

Do you think it's because they've cornered the market or the actual cost of the technology?

Technology: Rubber domes with springs? How expensive are they?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2060 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:54:39 »

:facepalm:  Not sure if you're joking or not, but the whole capacitive sensing thing isn't exactly trivial.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2061 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 02:46:08 »
More

:facepalm:  Not sure if you're joking or not, but the whole capacitive sensing thing isn't exactly trivial.

How did we get from keyboard lighting to Topre pricing?

Offline E3E

« Reply #2062 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 03:07:45 »
More

How did we get from keyboard lighting to Topre pricing?

Show Image

Sir, 'twas a livingspeedbump red herring!  :llama:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2063 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:51:19 »
I can tell the difference between original cherry keycaps and modern GMK...and...I prefer original cherry a lot more :(

I guess that might not be an unpopular opinion, but it certainly limits my options for colors. :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2064 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:58:39 »
I can tell the difference between original cherry keycaps and modern GMK...and...I prefer original cherry a lot more :(

I guess that might not be an unpopular opinion, but it certainly limits my options for colors. :p

I have the same preference, and the wide open choices of beige and black key caps. But now with some upcoming modifiers sets ans single keys it may get a bit better.

What exactly do you feel different?

Offline Ralph Furley

« Reply #2065 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:35:59 »
Artisan keycaps are a danger for fingertips, reduce typing speed and negate the benefits of mechanical switches. Artisan keycaps are the cause of expensive keyboards mistakenly being given to toddlers as toys. Artisan keycaps subvert the parameters of craft art in that the role of the viewer is to impose meaning whereas function is relegated to the nether regions of the average.

As a somewhat rebellious teen I myself had a novelty escape key which featured the likeness of Al Gore. It was a complete disaster. I could never get any work done as co-students were constantly pressing my escape key and exclaiming "I just invented the internet." I would express frustration and despair but they would counter "That's an inconvenient truth!"

Also, someone please make a novlelty Caps Lock key that is solid underneath and can't be pressed down. I know it would be symbolic of modern unions in the workplace but I digress in the interest of not smothering my humourous suggestion.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2066 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:13:19 »

Isn't the technology associated with it like 20-25 years old though?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2067 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 14:18:14 »

It depends what technology you refer to.  Capacitive sensing surely has been around for awhile, but I'd imagine that there's some algorithms and coding necessary to make the keyboard operate smoothly (as opposed to the relatively simple anti-bounce that regular switches require) - this is something they will expect to be paid back for.  Also, if Topre manufactures to tighter tolerances than other manufacturers, one would expect them to charge for that as well.  I obviously have no clue how they figure their pricing, I'm just listing possible options for high prices on Topre boards.  :P

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #2068 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 17:57:29 »
The age of a technology doesn't always equate to the technology being much cheaper to produce as it ages. Some technologies require higher amounts of precision. The more precision that's required, the more expensive it is to produce, even if the technology is 50 years old.

Now, I have no idea if a Topre PCB is more expensive to produce than a discrete switch PCB, but since Topre is made in Japan, and most keyboard PCBs are made in China, that's a factor as well.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2069 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:25:18 »

It depends what technology you refer to.  Capacitive sensing surely has been around for awhile, but I'd imagine that there's some algorithms and coding necessary to make the keyboard operate smoothly (as opposed to the relatively simple anti-bounce that regular switches require) - this is something they will expect to be paid back for.  Also, if Topre manufactures to tighter tolerances than other manufacturers, one would expect them to charge for that as well.  I obviously have no clue how they figure their pricing, I'm just listing possible options for high prices on Topre boards.  :P

All of that sounds about right, it just seems like after 20ish years they would've made back any costs they might've had for R&D, coding, algorithms, and other costs.  Even so, if you can charge a premium for something and people will happily buy it even at the higher price, the obvious business decision is to keep charging the premium price until people are unwilling to pay it anymore.

The age of a technology doesn't always equate to the technology being much cheaper to produce as it ages. Some technologies require higher amounts of precision. The more precision that's required, the more expensive it is to produce, even if the technology is 50 years old.

Now, I have no idea if a Topre PCB is more expensive to produce than a discrete switch PCB, but since Topre is made in Japan, and most keyboard PCBs are made in China, that's a factor as well.

Well, generally speaking, technology tends to follow a formula of having a high price at release with a decline in price as time goes by, with another spike in price if the tech isn't produced near as much e.g. DDR2 RAM vs. DDR3 RAM.  That obviously doesn't mean everything needs to, but I honestly can't think of a single thing tech related that has stayed steady in pricing.

The PCB does seem intriguing though, and I would be interested to see if a substantial part of the higher price is related to that.  Making something in Japan vs. China would definitely result in a price increase but how much that is I wouldn't expect anyone to know except a handful of manufacturers.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2070 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:27:06 »
I honestly can't think of a single thing tech related that has stayed steady in pricing.

Ever bought a TI calculator?  :))

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2071 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 21:10:31 »

I guess that might not be an unpopular opinion, but it certainly limits my options for colors. :p

I have the same preference, and the wide open choices of beige and black key caps. But now with some upcoming modifiers sets ans single keys it may get a bit better.

For reference, compare to CMYW and a red esc; I can tell the thickness of both caps apart, OG is more consistent throughout, where GMK is a bit sharp on the edges; the texture on GMK is rougher than my og dolch set, the pitch is just a touch higher when the sound resonates from the upstroke, all in all its very little things. Long live original beige!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2072 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 21:28:37 »

For reference, compare to CMYW and a red esc; I can tell the thickness of both caps apart, OG is more consistent throughout, where GMK is a bit sharp on the edges; the texture on GMK is rougher than my og dolch set, the pitch is just a touch higher when the sound resonates from the upstroke, all in all its very little things. Long live original beige!

I have not had any full GMK made set yet, only OG Cherry so I cannot tell, but I noticed an slight difference in thickness with Ivan's purple modifiers that I had, but I sold them because I prefer the modifiers with legends and icons, and Ivan made these with icons only.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2073 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:37:41 »
I honestly can't think of a single thing tech related that has stayed steady in pricing.

I was so mad when I found out I had to spend $125 of the money I had saved up over the summer on a damn calculator.  I had almost enough for the Autococker I had my eyes on and that set me back months, but being able to download and play games on the calculator made the pain a little easier.

But I wonder why they can charge almost the same price for something so outdated?  I'm assuming they probably hold a massive chunk of the graphing calculator market so that probably is a big part of it.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2074 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:45:35 »

I was so mad when I found out I had to spend $125 of the money I had saved up over the summer on a damn calculator.  I had almost enough for the Autococker I had my eyes on and that set me back months, but being able to download and play games on the calculator made the pain a little easier.

But I wonder why they can charge almost the same price for something so outdated?  I'm assuming they probably hold a massive chunk of the graphing calculator market so that probably is a big part of it.
It's not a good idea for school/ test taking use, but wabbit emu is a thing for android phones (not sure about iOS), and it's free with ads or I think $4 for the ad free version.

I still prefer a physical calculator, but it is pretty cool :P

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2075 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:56:23 »

It's not a good idea for school/ test taking use, but wabbit emu is a thing for android phones (not sure about iOS), and it's free with ads or I think $4 for the ad free version.

I was wondering if there was a phone app that can do most of the stuff that a graphing calculator can.  Do a lot of schools allow phones in class and/or during tests? 

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2076 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 23:05:48 »

I was wondering if there was a phone app that can do most of the stuff that a graphing calculator can.  Do a lot of schools allow phones in class and/or during tests?
My physics and math teacher allow it in class, just not during tests. I only use it when I forgot my calculator/I just don't want to get it out because lazy :P It's a pretty nice thing to have, since it exactly emulates a TI 84, which most people are used to using.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2077 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 23:09:27 »
unpopular calculator opinions
I love Elzy

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2078 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 23:23:10 »

Apparently you can buy a keyboard to attach to the calculator on Amazon for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-Keyboard-Graphing-Calculators/dp/B00007K7JE

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2079 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 23:23:53 »

Apparently you can buy a keyboard to attach to the calculator on Amazon for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-Keyboard-Graphing-Calculators/dp/B00007K7JE

that's pretty cool actually.
I love Elzy

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2080 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 06:19:50 »

That would have made writing code on the TI-84 a lot easier.   :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2081 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:26:58 »
I was an HP calculator's collector for years. Is that unpopular?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2082 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:27:58 »

The only other person I know that has an HP calculator is my dad. I would say "yes", it's unpopular. I'm sorry to break this news to you.  :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2083 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:29:24 »

The only other person I know that has an HP calculator is my dad. I would say "yes", it's unpopular. I'm sorry to break this news to you.  :(

Now I feel proud of it. Thank you.

Offline drewba

« Reply #2084 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:31:05 »
Artisan keycaps are a danger for fingertips, reduce typing speed and negate the benefits of mechanical switches. Artisan keycaps are the cause of expensive keyboards mistakenly being given to toddlers as toys. Artisan keycaps subvert the parameters of craft art in that the role of the viewer is to impose meaning whereas function is relegated to the nether regions of the average.

As a somewhat rebellious teen I myself had a novelty escape key which featured the likeness of Al Gore. It was a complete disaster. I could never get any work done as co-students were constantly pressing my escape key and exclaiming "I just invented the internet." I would express frustration and despair but they would counter "That's an inconvenient truth!"

Also, someone please make a novellty Caps Lock key that is solid underneath and can't be pressed down. I know it would be symbolic of modern unions in the workplace but I digress in the interest of not smothering my humourous suggestion.

Well done

Offline E3E

« Reply #2085 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:42:38 »

Also, someone please make a novellty Caps Lock key that is solid underneath and can't be pressed down. I know it would be symbolic of modern unions in the workplace but I digress in the interest of not smothering my humourous suggestion.

Well done

Mr. Furley is all-knowing.

Offline drewba

« Reply #2086 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:59:31 »

Well done

Talk about an unpopular opinion! I kid, I kid, Don Knotts for pres!

RIP

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2087 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 11:58:47 »

Well done

RIP

Who cares about artisan's, they are not actual key caps, they are just adorns, that happen to have a stem to fit on keyboards, overrated pieces of plastics, that some are as ugly as they can be. Whose prices have been artificially inflated in a fictitious economy that does not have anything to do with keyboard functionality.

Is this unpopular enough as opinion? LOL

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2088 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 12:01:32 »

Well done

RIP

Who cares about artisan's, they are not actual key caps, they are just adorns, that happen to have a stem to fit on keyboards, overrated pieces of plastics, that some are as ugly as they can be. Whose prices have been artificially inflated in a fictitious economy that does not have anything to do with keyboard functionality.

Sorry, but this is the opinions thread and I'm not seeing an opinion.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2089 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 12:12:46 »

that's pretty cool actually.

I haven't found many good pictures of the cord that connects the keyboard to the calculator but you could possibly rig something up to allow you to connect something like a Pok3r or other 60% board to it.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2090 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 17:20:05 »
The Miami colorway is hideous.

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2091 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:50:58 »

Offline DreaMagine

• Head and shoulders, keys and toes
« Reply #2092 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:27:49 »

I'd agree, way too bright and in-your-face. Subdued colorways are best!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2093 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:30:12 »

Classic beige is the only colorway that should ever be on a keyboard.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2094 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:07:52 »

Classic beige is the only colorway that should ever be on a keyboard.

My boy.  :cool:

P.S. Actually, I like Sifo's Gon.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:14:50 by Solo »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2095 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:44:17 »

Well done

RIP

My issue isnt with artisans. Its with how people get full on stupid over them, gang up on each other, argue to no end about pricing and reselling and cloning, etc etc. Its just aggravating to even read.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2096 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:45:50 »

You mean that would have made playing vs. Bomberman to the kid next to you in class, easier.  :p

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2097 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 21:54:45 »

You mean that would have made playing vs. Bomberman to the kid next to you in class, easier.  :p

I always had Pokemon and Mario on mine, until the teacher found out and took my calculator and reset it. Jokes on her I went back home afterwards and downloaded it again.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2098 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 22:34:51 »

I always had Pokemon and Mario on mine, until the teacher found out and took my calculator and reset it. Jokes on her I went back home afterwards and downloaded it again.
It's funny, I have a friend who, in our calc class, plays Mario on his. The teacher knows, but loves to mess with him. The first time he could tell he said "You must be making some incredibly complicated calculations there, Tristan!" The entire class went hysterical

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2099 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:06:37 »

The colorway or the keyset?