Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268661 times)

Offline jamster

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2150 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 10:04:53 »
I'd say it is a matter of convenience, Thinkpad keyboards are good enough when you do not have a mechanical keyboard handy, but there is nothing that may be compared between them and any good mechanical one.

If by "good" you exclude any stock Cherry board, then yeah ;)

The main selection criteria for my laptops are the keyboards, which is why I always have older Thinkpads (pre-chicklet). I also have an external Thinkpad keyboard. I definitely prefer them over stock Cherry boards, there's something about MX that just smacks of a confluence of compromises.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2151 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 10:34:18 »
I'd say it is a matter of convenience, Thinkpad keyboards are good enough when you do not have a mechanical keyboard handy, but there is nothing that may be compared between them and any good mechanical one.

The main selection criteria for my laptops are the keyboards, which is why I always have older Thinkpads (pre-chicklet). I also have an external Thinkpad keyboard. I definitely prefer them over stock Cherry boards, there's something about MX that just smacks of a confluence of compromises.

I still use a Thinkpad X61T and most of the people that try it for the first time always compliment its keyboard, but not the trakpoint; in the other hand, I cannot compare the keyboard I use now with it, it is a humble ergo clears with a winkeyless layout and OG Cherry key caps, by no means I can compare it with my x61 keyboard, but I think it is a matter of personal preferences.

Offline jamster

« Reply #2152 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:03:38 »
I still use a Thinkpad X61T and most of the people that try it for the first time always compliment its keyboard, but not the trakpoint; in the other hand, I cannot compare the keyboard I use now with it, it is a humble ergo clears with a winkeyless layout and OG Cherry key caps, by no means I can compare it with my x61 keyboard, but I think it is a matter of personal preferences.

Ha, that's funny, the other reason that I always end up with Thinkpads is because of the trackpoint! It's great not having to take fingers off the home row in order to make small pointer adjustments. The Tex is appealing for the same reason, only I also happen to like function keys.

IIRC some Dells have it (maybe discontinued) but they have the downside of being, well, Dells  :)

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #2153 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 21:45:26 »
Granite is overrated

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2154 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:02:55 »

Ha, that's funny, the other reason that I always end up with Thinkpads is because of the trackpoint! It's great not having to take fingers off the home row in order to make small pointer adjustments. The Tex is appealing for the same reason, only I also happen to like function keys.

IIRC some Dells have it (maybe discontinued) but they have the downside of being, well, Dells  :)

The trackpoint implimintation is another one of the reason's i love thinkpad :p. I cant stand trackpads.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2155 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:06:10 »

The short amount of time i've had with stock clears i'm loving them, i'm putting them in a custom 60% and i'm debateing making them ergo clears now or getting used to them stock first. I'm using a plate where you can remove the switch tops so i could always do it later.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2156 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 06:54:45 »

The short amount of time i've had with stock clears i'm loving them, i'm putting them in a custom 60% and i'm debateing making them ergo clears now or getting used to them stock first. I'm using a plate where you can remove the switch tops so i could always do it later.

In that case you can experiment with both, and have fun switching the springs when you were ready to change them. I recommend gold springs, while the plating do nothing for the functionality of the springs they look very cool, at least mean while you are changing them.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #2157 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 13:33:03 »
Most (98%) novelty keysets are just meh.
As a community, it seems like we should be able to make way cooler ****. But I can't contribute anything so I shouldn't be talking.

I love the community around artisans, even if I don't really like any artisans themselves.

Conversely, I can't stand the over-the-top hype around artisans. Just chill. gotdam.

Linear is best switch

The name of this thread should be changed to 'I disagree with at least one person on this forum' opinions.
Bad switches is the only thing that I like

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2158 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 13:45:29 »
As a community, it seems like we should be able to make way cooler ****. But I can't contribute anything so I shouldn't be talking.

I love the community around artisans, even if I don't really like any artisans themselves.

Conversely, I can't stand the over-the-top hype around artisans. Just chill. gotdam.

Linear is best switch

The name of this thread should be changed to 'I disagree with at least one person on this forum' opinions.
True. For the most part, thats why I liked the hyperfuse set compared to most other sets.

It doesnt use hospital/disinfected white. It uses a very light grey. It uses purple (my fave). It uses neon turqouise and grey for the mods.

It has enough color variety without being loud.

Most other sets stick with a full black color or full white color somewhere in the set when they could be taking more risks.

I want more double shot sets to have at least four different colors in the main part of the set. But, again sometimes too many colors can be bad, too.

I like the Troubled Minds set. That looks like it can be cool. It was only two colors but it mostly worked. If they introduced some orange, it would be a little better.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2159 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:06:52 »
[WTB *insert specific artisan cap here*] threads should not be allowed. The incessant bumping of classifieds threads is totally unacceptable. Like, is that really why you're here?
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:44:56 by Solo »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2160 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:09:04 »
[WTB *insert specific artisan cap here*] threads should be not be allowed. The incessant bumping of classifieds threads is totally unacceptable. Like, is that really why you're here?

"I want to buy the most expensive piece of plastic that happens to fit the stems of my board, the ugliest the better"

:p

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2161 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:10:55 »
[WTB *insert specific artisan cap here*] threads should be not be allowed. The incessant bumping of classifieds threads is totally unacceptable. Like, is that really why you're here?

There is a rule that you can only bump your thread once every 24 hours, some end up bumping much sooner than that and can get their thread locked.

As for the artisan threads I don't really mind it, it helps keep all their specific caps designated to one thread rather than overloading the Keycap & Keyboard Photography thread, granted there is a fair bit of x-posting though.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2162 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:43:37 »

MechMarket on reddit has the same problem. It has gone from a decent place to find good keyboard deals to and endless barrage of "WTB BRO/CLACKS/ARTISANS," or people selling said artisans under a throwaway account for crazy prices, etc. Its just cluttered with 90% of the posts being about artisans, so I just quit checking it all together.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2163 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:46:53 »

MechMarket on reddit has the same problem. It has gone from a decent place to find good keyboard deals to and endless barrage of "WTB BRO/CLACKS/ARTISANS," or people selling said artisans under a throwaway account for crazy prices, etc. Its just cluttered with 90% of the posts being about artisans, so I just quit checking it all together.

If you check what did you get on the mail thread and it seems most of the post are about some artisan's keys, GH may be full of them now also.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #2164 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 14:54:55 »

Linear is best switch

True. For the most part, thats why I liked the hyperfuse set compared to most other sets.

It doesnt use hospital/disinfected white. It uses a very light grey. It uses purple (my fave). It uses neon turqouise and grey for the mods.

Most other sets stick with a full black color or full white color somewhere in the set when they could be taking more risks.

I want more double shot sets to have at least four different colors in the main part of the set. But, again sometimes too many colors can be bad, too.

I like the Troubled Minds set. That looks like it can be cool. It was only two colors but it mostly worked. If they introduced some orange, it would be a little better.

I do think the real challenge is being colorful without being garish. Especially since plastic just has the tendency to look cartoonish.

Legends are always so conservative too. I don't think that it would be possible to do anything really cool and be able to hit MOQ tho. The polarizing designs don't seem to do as well.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2165 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:33:10 »

Linear is best switch

I do think the real challenge is being colorful without being garish. Especially since plastic just has the tendency to look cartoonish.

Legends are always so conservative too. I don't think that it would be possible to do anything really cool and be able to hit MOQ tho. The polarizing designs don't seem to do as well.

Am i the only one that didn't think Hyperfuse GMK really looked like the renders at all? Personally I wasn't a fan of how it came out. For me Penumbra was a that "simple, yet obviously custom" set that I really enjoyed. The different colors of the modifier legends just really helped make that set "pop" for me.

But, with the general concept of "simple is better" i tend to agree, at least for personal use. I had a HEAP of fun creating Jukebox, but still, my daily driver is a completely stock 87u with the silly "special edition" CTRL/ESC colored keys. My daily "travel driver" is a stock HHKB with just a splash of red with the stock black. I think there is a place for the crazy sets as well as the simple/classy sets like Classic Beige, etc.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2166 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:39:28 »

Linear is best switch

Am i the only one that didn't think Hyperfuse GMK really looked like the renders at all? Personally I wasn't a fan of how it came out. For me Penumbra was a that "simple, yet obviously custom" set that I really enjoyed. The different colors of the modifier legends just really helped make that set "pop" for me.

But, with the general concept of "simple is better" i tend to agree, at least for personal use. I had a HEAP of fun creating Jukebox, but still, my daily driver is a completely stock 87u with the silly "special edition" CTRL/ESC colored keys. My daily "travel driver" is a stock HHKB with just a splash of red with the stock black. I think there is a place for the crazy sets as well as the simple/classy sets like Classic Beige, etc.

A boring Joe here that thinks classic beige and black would be on my boards always, maybe some granite color combinations and that's it for me. Not really into artisans or weird color combinations. It is a shame SNES seems doing that bad though.

Offline Mad_Maxx

« Reply #2167 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:12:59 »

Def agree on penumbra. Its the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. I also like round 5, skull squadron, and soware tho.

I think Hyperfuse looks as different as every keycap set does in renders. I always have to close my eyes and think what that the set is going to look like in six months on some really nice build posted by someone who actually knows how to use a camera. Even so, I rarely can bring myself to go in on GBs.
I loved hyperfuse as a project, but it really just wasn't my style.

A boring Joe here that thinks classic beige and black would be on my boards always, maybe some granite color combinations and that's it for me. Not really into artisans or weird color combinations. It is a shame SNES seems doing that bad though.

Novelty wears off. Style is forever.

I would love to have a few cool novelty keysets, but all I really want is JTK or GMK Penumbra.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2168 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:22:23 »

This is one reason why Topre boards are so cool. You get a great looking board out of the box.

You really have to put work into a Cherry keyboard.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2169 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:51:35 »

This is one reason why Topre boards are so cool. You get a great looking board out of the box.

Oh yeah, RF 87u is the best keyboard out of the box, imo.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2170 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:30:02 »
@Mad-Maxx, I also would like to see that color way in GMK double shots.

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #2171 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:23:32 »

RF Legends are soooooooooooooooooo ugly tho.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2172 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:26:46 »

RF Legends are soooooooooooooooooo ugly tho.

Nahhhh. They don't have a personality but they aren't ugly.

Decks font, now that is UGLY.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2173 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:51:37 »

I thought the original hyperfuse's colors looked much nicer
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2174 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:56:39 »

Totally agree. The GMK set just is really meh to me.

For reference

The GMK set just doesn't mesh like the DCS/DSA sets did. I think the GMK set is good as a mix n match set with other GMK sets though.

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #2175 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 06:06:51 »
GMK caps look cool but feel like crap.  Not sculpted enough.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2016, 12:13:52 by Lengradde »

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2176 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 15:19:52 »

sculpted?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2177 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:08:06 »

For reference
Show Image

Show Image

The GMK set just doesn't mesh like the DCS/DSA sets did. I think the GMK set is good as a mix n match set with other GMK sets though.

I have not seen those blank iso enter keys, what they were thinking? why did they do them blanks?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2178 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:10:00 »

For reference
Show Image

Show Image

I have not seen those blank iso enter keys, what they were thinking? why did they do them blanks?
because no one takes ISO seriously  :))

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2179 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:10:46 »

For reference
Show Image

Show Image

I think as a design, it is fantastic. On paper, one of my favorite sets ever, easily. In person, not. I just think the translation to GMK from SP was not a good one, and a bit lazy (like those blank enters).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2180 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:11:52 »

For reference
Show Image

Show Image

because no one takes ISO seriously  :))

People who bought the set were not joking with their money.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2181 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 23:40:31 »
I think thin caps are great. I can't stand thick caps. They're too thick. Their thickness annoys me. When I'm typing on them, I can just feel how thick they are. They're way too thick. Their thickness is obvious to my plastic-depth-detecting fingers. Anyone else whose fingers can detect the thickness of the plastic they're touching will instantly agree.

I love thick keycaps on heavy switches, but i prefer standard thickness on anything lighter like blue's.

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #2182 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 09:41:57 »

sculpted?

They are too flat on top for me.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2183 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 11:47:26 »

I'll give it to you that it is quite the unpopular opinion. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2184 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 11:51:49 »

meh, I agree with the first part. 2nd part is confusing. They're a tad flat but is OEM more cylindrical or something?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2185 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:32:42 »

meh, I agree with the first part. 2nd part is confusing. They're a tad flat but is OEM more cylindrical or something?

There are some comparison between profiles reported somewhere at GH, what I recall is that there is no significant profile differences between OEM and Cherry, there is only minor ones between the last two and SA contoured, but the angle changes between rows, in this last one, are different than Cherry. I really do not understand what Lengradd is referring to. It seems something he just thought about on the fly and write on to participate in the thread.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #2186 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 18:09:54 »
also: dolch is overrated

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2187 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:08:44 »
Cherry is overrated

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2188 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:37:26 »
over rating is overrated...lol!

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2189 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:42:30 »
Whatever, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this

I hate blues. Not because they're loud, they just feel like **** to me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2190 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 20:56:48 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2191 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 21:03:40 »
Cherry is overrated

Elaborate it!

I can really only think of the fact that they're somewhat scratchy new, but really only Gaterons are superior in that regard. Unless he's just talking about MX switches in general

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2192 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 21:07:51 »
Cherry is overrated

Elaborate it!

I can really only think of the fact that they're somewhat scratchy new, but really only Gaterons are superior in that regard. Unless he's just talking about MX switches in general

It doesn't really happen here but there is this kind of mythos about "Genuine Cherry" that gets used a lot in advertising materials that make them sound like the be all and end all of switches

So far I have found that Cherry switches are only good when you mod the crap out of them

Gaterons are way better out of the box

If Cherry hadn't been so lucky in that their switches allow for the most keycap customisation they would not be held in such high regard

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2193 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 21:56:20 »
Cherry is overrated

Elaborate it!

It doesn't really happen here but there is this kind of mythos about "Genuine Cherry" that gets used a lot in advertising materials that make them sound like the be all and end all of switches

So far I have found that Cherry switches are only good when you mod the crap out of them

If Cherry hadn't been so lucky in that their switches allow for the most keycap customisation they would not be held in such high regard

Cherry key caps or Cherry switches? You meant switches; but, the OP?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2194 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 23:06:07 »

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cherry has been around for a long time and they have a reputation for making durable and long-lasting switches, especially for industrial applications. Nobody outside of the keyboard community has even heard of Gateron or any of the other alternatives.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #2195 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 02:58:52 »

There are some comparison between profiles reported somewhere at GH, what I recall is that there is no significant profile differences between OEM and Cherry, there is only minor ones between the last two and SA contoured, but the angle changes between rows, in this last one, are different than Cherry. I really do not understand what Lengradd is referring to. It seems something he just thought about on the fly and write on to participate in the thread.

I'm referring to the smaller radius of the cylindrical profile on OEM.  It's a bit more contoured than Cherry and consequently feels more comfortable to my fingertips.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2196 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:16:10 »
Cherry is overrated

Elaborate it!

yep switches - caps are awesome

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2197 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 07:40:05 »
Cherry is overrated

Elaborate it!

yep switches - caps are awesome

Agree.

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #2198 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 06:55:46 »
NKRO is useless.
Led's are cancerous to the eyes and look childish when in public.
MX Browns are terrible  so are reds.
Stiff Switches are the best.

I like typing on my k30 more than  i do an mx brown board.
"All is Well"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2199 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:14:00 »
Led's are cancerous to the eyes and look childish when in public.
MX Browns are terrible  so are reds.

the most popular unpopular opinions in the world