Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268634 times)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2200 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:26:22 »
Led's are cancerous to the eyes and look childish when in public.
MX Browns are terrible  so are reds.

the most popular unpopular opinions in the world

At this point is it even an "unpopular" opinion? Seems like most people agree (not me though, I like my LEDs  :thumb:).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2201 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:42:37 »

At this point is it even an "unpopular" opinion? Seems like most people agree (not me though, I like my LEDs  :thumb:).

I'm pretty sure half the forum hates LEDs considering it's every third post here
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2202 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:58:38 »

Meh, I'm fine having one board with LEDs as some keysets look nice with them, but I would only use a LED board at home.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2203 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:18:27 »
CHERRY SUCKS
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2204 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:28:07 »
Geekhack is easier to read, when demilk is muted. I'm not sure, if that's unpopular though.

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #2205 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:29:54 »
CHERRY SUCKS

Please. Only Linear Switches suck. Blues and Greens are great and are a godsend when you want to break the ice in public or to end a annoying silence in room.
"All is Well"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2206 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:31:35 »
Geekhack is easier to read, when demilk is muted. I'm not sure, if that's unpopular though.

demilk? Never heard of him.

CHERRY SUCKS

Please. Only Linear Switches suck. Blues and Greens are great and are a godsend when you want to break the ice in public or to end a annoying silence in room.
Linear is no different than rubberdome. Clicky cherry is where it's at if I HAD to use cherry.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:33:38 by demik »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2207 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:32:40 »
CHERRY SUCKS

There's a difference between right and wrong. Both wrong. :P

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #2208 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:34:50 »
CHERRY SUCKS

There's a difference between right and wrong. Both wrong. :P

Thats an odd way of saying that Clack and click is the best.
"All is Well"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2209 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:35:50 »

CHERRY SUCKS

Linear is no different than rubberdome. Clicky cherry is where it's at if I HAD to use cherry.

Does demik **** wit' buckling springs then?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2210 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:36:55 »

I'm pretty sure half the forum hates LEDs considering it's every third post here
Personally I think backlighting can make a keyboard look rather vulgar and showy if it's done badly. Integrated lock light LEDs are pretty cool though :D . Does anyone not like those?

CHERRY SUCKS

"Suck" is a relative term :p . I don't hate Cherry switches or anything, but I can think of a better alternative to each and every single Cherry MX switch.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2211 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:44:03 »

CHERRY SUCKS

Does demik **** wit' buckling springs then?
Nah. Boards are god damn boats. Hhkb size or nada

Offline jd29

« Reply #2212 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:36:14 »
CHERRY SUCKS

This. Especially blues, they're so tinny.

Offline jamster

« Reply #2213 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 01:07:52 »

Just think of them as fake buckling springs.

Cheap sounding, fake buckling springs.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2214 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:10:01 »
CHERRY SUCKS

The Blues on my DS do sound a little tinny, however, I think the worst board I ever had for that tinny sound was the ABS M1.  I swear the thing would almost ring when typing fast.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2215 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 10:48:04 »

Personally I think backlighting can make a keyboard look rather vulgar and showy if it's done badly. Integrated lock light LEDs are pretty cool though :D . Does anyone not like those?

CHERRY SUCKS

"Suck" is a relative term :p . I don't hate Cherry switches or anything, but I can think of a better alternative to each and every single Cherry MX switch.

Ugh, yeah. The LEDs on my Octagon are an example of something I find nigh vulgar. If only the brightness adjustment worked as it should. The diminished and diffused look of the LEDs on my Hammer Alps board really compliments the grey and blue caps, I think, and I just love the look. To me, I feel it really completes the look when the board is on my desk, especially as the bottom row LEDs shimmer of the glossy black of my wrist rest.

On both the Lightpad and Octagon, the LEDs are way too bright. That's fine though, because I plan on swapping the Lightpad to ALPS with a custom carbon fiber num pad plate to go with my Hammer! :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 10:53:45 by E3E »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2216 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 00:58:13 »
All linears including gat blacks suck

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #2217 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 02:17:47 »
All linears including gat blacks suck

Agree, linear is terrible.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #2218 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 04:36:45 »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2219 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 05:05:45 »
Linear is the anly cherry that I like

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2220 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:10:58 »
Linear is the anly cherry that I like

Wait to try V.browns son.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #2221 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 17:50:35 »
i'm sure this has been posted, but the hhkb layout is pure TRASH. my hand has to contort to use the arrow keys, i keep hitting backspace and enter when i try to just press backspace, even after my muscle memory has adjusted, and switching back to a normal keyboard is a pain in the ass. the shift of the caps lock and the ctrl to its position is nice, but caps lock works much, much better as an fn key. the point of having a 60% board is so that you don't have to move your hands from your default typing position to access all the keys on the keyboard, and the fn's position on the hhkb means i have to shift my entire hand to the right. with how much i have to move, i might as well just get traditional arrow keys so i don't have to try to hard just to move my cursor one position to the left.

topre is a great switch, though
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2222 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:49:41 »
i'm sure this has been posted, but the hhkb layout is pure TRASH. my hand has to contort to use the arrow keys, i keep hitting backspace and enter when i try to just press backspace, even after my muscle memory has adjusted, and switching back to a normal keyboard is a pain in the ass. the shift of the caps lock and the ctrl to its position is nice, but caps lock works much, much better as an fn key. the point of having a 60% board is so that you don't have to move your hands from your default typing position to access all the keys on the keyboard, and the fn's position on the hhkb means i have to shift my entire hand to the right. with how much i have to move, i might as well just get traditional arrow keys so i don't have to try to hard just to move my cursor one position to the left.

The HHKB Layout is designed for people who don't miss their dedicated arrow-key cluster, if you cant live without it, the HHKB is not the right board for you, perhaps you should take a look at the Leopold leopold fc660c instead. Also, using the DIP switches, you can turn the left Meta key into a FN key, that way you don't have to move all the way to the right. 

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2223 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:52:31 »
OK, OP is still around. Can we update the OP with all the popular unpopular opinions e.g LEDs are stupid, Cherry sucks, topre sucks, linears suck?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2224 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:08:04 »

wrong.  :))
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline phosphoric

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2225 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:17:57 »

The HHKB Layout is designed for people who don't miss their dedicated arrow-key cluster, if you cant live without it, the HHKB is not the right board for you, perhaps you should take a look at the Leopold leopold fc660c instead. Also, using the DIP switches, you can turn the left Meta key into a FN key, that way you don't have to move all the way to the right.

oh yeah, i know, but either way i have to end up shifting my hand to the right for arrow keys. i love 60% boards, don't get me wrong, but having the arrow keys on ijkl  and my fn key on caps lock (on both my pok3r and custom alps64) has really spoiled me and made me too lazy to move my hand to the right 3 fingers hahaha

wrong.  :))

that's entirely fair lol. i cant refute this
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2226 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:22:23 »

HASU controller. It's all you need  :thumb:
oh yeah, i know, but either way i have to end up shifting my hand to the right for arrow keys. i love 60% boards, don't get me wrong, but having the arrow keys on ijkl  and my fn key on caps lock (on both my pok3r and custom alps64) has really spoiled me and made me too lazy to move my hand to the right 3 fingers hahaha

Hasu's controller is all you need then  ^-^

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #2227 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:27:10 »

honestly i always just assumed that it was out of my price range and im too lazy to learn how to make one out of a teensy but i just checked the prices... and goddammit i have no excuse now

speak for yourself

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2228 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:32:13 »

honestly i always just assumed that it was out of my price range and im too lazy to learn how to make one out of a teensy but i just checked the prices... and goddammit i have no excuse now

Yeah, quite affordable. better off just buying the controller than making one all day long when it comes to the HHKB.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #2229 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:34:57 »

Yeah, quite affordable. better off just buying the controller than making one all day long when it comes to the HHKB.

i definitely agree - a $200+ keyboard doesnt deserve a messy, makeshift connection to a teensy

speak for yourself

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2230 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 20:41:33 »

i definitely agree - a $200+ keyboard doesnt deserve a messy, makeshift connection to a teensy

yup, my thoughts exactly

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2231 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 22:17:53 »
I suppose this isn't an unpopular opinion, but im really missing my arrow keys on my 60%, i dont miss dedicated function keys, or the numpad, just arrows, media keys slightly but not as much, I know i can fix that with layers on my GH60 satan based board, but i may pic up a cheap numpad to use for dedicated arrow keys.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2232 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:10:28 »
Im just curious, what do people use arrow keys for? With programming, gaming, daily use, I've never found that I really use them or want them, much less need them.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2233 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:13:42 »
Im just curious, what do people use arrow keys for? With programming, gaming, daily use, I've never found that I really use them or want them, much less need them.

For media use, skipping in YT videos and volume up and down, also quite useful for typing when you gut used to it.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2234 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:18:49 »
I suppose this isn't an unpopular opinion, but im really missing my arrow keys on my 60%, i dont miss dedicated function keys, or the numpad, just arrows, media keys slightly but not as much, I know i can fix that with layers on my GH60 satan based board, but i may pic up a cheap numpad to use for dedicated arrow keys.

There are a few 60% layout keyboards available which offer a dedicated arrow-key cluster, although wouldn't that make it a 65% layout? However, I'm not an expert on these, I know about the leopold fc660c, but that's probably just because it has topre switches. I would actually probably use the leopold instead of my current HHKB if it just wouldn't be standard layout. I love my backspace above enter, I could never return...
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:20:49 by Olumin »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2235 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:19:33 »

It's kind of funny... when i think about it i cant think of any really critical things i need them for, but i really do notice them not being there, kind of like a built up muscle memory.  Mainly for daily use, like when i'm typing a url and want to go a few spaces to the left or right to modify it, or if i make a typing mistake, the fastest way for me to fix it is to bring the cursor over with the arrow keys, so mostly casual word processing for me. It's a lot slower for me to use the mouse for things like that.

I also use them in Sony Vegas and really heavily in Kodi media center as i dont have a dedicated remote for my desktop.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2236 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:22:03 »

There are a few 60% layout keyboards available which offer a dedicated arrow-key cluster, although wouldn't that make it a 65% layout? However, I'm not an expert on these, I know about the leopold fc660c, but that's probably just because it has topre switches. I would actually probable use the leopold instated of my current HHKB if it would be standard layout. I love my backspace above enter, I could never return...

Ive seen a few custom layouts that include the arrow keys, or the 75% layout is a bit interesting, but i really am loving my 60%, for now im using it as my main keyboard and the board i bring around with my laptop. So ill probably just get a numpad for the desk for the time being.

Edit:

i have considered remapping my \ to backspace and vice versa so that my backspace is right above enter, as my pinky really doesnt like going that far to reach the backspace.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:25:26 by Connly33 »

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2237 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:26:17 »

There are a few 60% layout keyboards available which offer a dedicated arrow-key cluster, although wouldn't that make it a 65% layout? However, I'm not an expert on these, I know about the leopold fc660c, but that's probably just because it has topre switches. I would actually probable use the leopold instated of my current HHKB if it would be standard layout. I love my backspace above enter, I could never return...

Ive seen a few custom layouts that include the arrow keys, or the 75% layout is a bit interesting, but i really am loving my 60%, for now im using it as my main keyboard and the board i bring around with my laptop. So ill probably just get a numpad for the desk for the time being.

I really got used to the HHKB arrow-key layout, if I'm thinking about it, Its actually more comfortable to use then a dedicated cluster for me at this point.

Edit: About the remapping, that's of course feasible, but what would be the former backspace key good for then, I'd had to give a reasonable use, I can not really thing of anything right now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:30:02 by Olumin »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2238 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:35:09 »

I really got used to the HHKB arrow-key layout, if I'm thinking about it, Its actually more comfortable to use then a dedicated cluster for me at this point.

Edit: About the remapping, that's of course feasible, but what would be the former backspace key good for then, I'd had to give a reasonable use, I can not really thing of anything right now.

I really like the HHKB arrow layout, though i have not yet had a chance to use one, or a board of a similar layout yet, i do want to get an HHKB eventually for the layout and to try topre switches. 

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2239 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:41:26 »

I really like the HHKB arrow layout, though i have not yet had a chance to use one, or a board of a similar layout yet, i do want to get an HHKB eventually for the layout and to try topre switches.

When it comes to topre keyboards, its really just a matter of preference regarding the layout. If you want your standard full sized board without any crazy layouts or perhaps a plain 10 key-less, you go with a Realforce, you want a 60%? You get a HHKB. You like your arrow-key cluster? You get the Leopold. In the end, it really just comes down to these 3. There is of course the Typeheaven, but only if you don't mind the ABS Laserd Keycaps and lower build quality, in the end, its a budged-Topre board,

Offline E3E

« Reply #2240 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:54:39 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

When shined. :3

I'm always so disappointed when vintage boards end up having shined caps. It's far too common. It's not so much that they are shiny as it is that that is indicative of a loss of texture. I have heard people using sand blasters to retexture caps, albeit in some really grazing way I'm sure, because a sand blaster would annihilate a key cap for sure.

I really want to do this. Retexture old sets! I know matte clear coat could do it, but that feels wrong.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2241 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:59:51 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

I'm always so disappointed when vintage boards end up having shined caps. It's far too common. It's not so much that they are shiny as it is that that is indicative of a loss of texture. I have heard people using sand blasters to retexture caps, albeit in some really grazing way I'm sure, because a sand blaster would annihilate a key cap for sure.

I really want to do this. Retexture old sets! I know matte clear coat could do it, but that feels wrong.

I wonder if you clear coat the caps and then sand the majority of the coating off would end with good results.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2242 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 00:12:15 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

id imagine it would work well if you used either a lower air pressure, or maybe less abrasive glass bead sandblasting, maybe baking soda sand blasting for a finer texture.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2243 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 05:36:49 »
Well, if you don't use software with vi/emacs bindings, it's pretty much the only way to reposition cursor, other than grabbing the mouse (or some other pointing device). The same with scrolling, moving around in a file manager, etc. Windows-like GUIs shove it down everybody's throat by default. Some games have default/hard-coded motion bindings @ WASD/arrows.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2244 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 08:22:29 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

id imagine it would work well if you used either a lower air pressure, or maybe less abrasive glass bead sandblasting, maybe baking soda sand blasting for a finer texture.

ABS and PBT both suck.

I wonder if you clear coat the caps and then sand the majority of the coating off would end with good results.

I like both of these ideas. If the clear was something that could be wiped off with acetone, then that'd be fine for PBT. Like, I can see that as a temporary fix leading up to using a blaster for it. I love the idea of retexuring using a sandblaster. Truly a process that would require patience and experimentation, but it'd be an awesome way to restore otherwise awesome keysets.

Offline jamster

« Reply #2245 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:01:39 »

How do you navigate around an Office (or the equivalent) document (Word, but especially Excel) quickly at a granular level without arrow keys? Or more infrequently but specifically, for quickly navigating around a BIOS screen. New PC motherboards come with graphical interfaces, but it feels just... wrong... to use a mouse there.

Just typing the above sentence, I used the arrow keys a bunch of times to add in the phrase contained in the first set of brackets.

The only other way I can think of to navigate is with a mouse, and that's really inefficient for moving the cursor small distances as taking a hand away from the keyboard detracts from fluid typing. And a mouse is nowhere near as quick+granular.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:06:46 by jamster »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2246 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:15:51 »
snip
I guess the point is that use cases differ. I tried to address that in my last post.

For example, I don't use any office suite on regular basis; I don't navigate BIOS settings either (well, more often than once in a few years anyway); I prefer to use emacs bindings in text editor (btw see It's All Text! extension for Firefox) and shell.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2247 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:23:06 »

How do you navigate around an Office (or the equivalent) document (Word, but especially Excel) quickly at a granular level without arrow keys? Or more infrequently but specifically, for quickly navigating around a BIOS screen. New PC motherboards come with graphical interfaces, but it feels just... wrong... to use a mouse there.

Just typing the above sentence, I used the arrow keys a bunch of times to add in the phrase contained in the first set of brackets.

The only other way I can think of to navigate is with a mouse, and that's really inefficient for moving the cursor small distances as taking a hand away from the keyboard detracts from fluid typing. And a mouse is nowhere near as quick+granular.

I'm onboard with ya! The basic american megatrends bios menu was all we needed!! GET YOUR MOUSE OUT OF MY BIOS SCREEN!!

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #2248 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 09:46:46 »

yup, my thoughts exactly
jk i thought about it and still dislike the layout of the hhkb. if there were two extra buttons on the bottom row...

speak for yourself

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #2249 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:55:37 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

Or maybe a quick shot of some textured spray paint? They have that rock like finish, they might be good with a quick spray on the top.