Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268729 times)

Rhienfo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2250 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:09:00 »
ABS and PBT both suck.

When shined. :3

I'm always so disappointed when vintage boards end up having shined caps. It's far too common. It's not so much that they are shiny as it is that that is indicative of a loss of texture. I have heard people using sand blasters to retexture caps, albeit in some really grazing way I'm sure, because a sand blaster would annihilate a key cap for sure.

I really want to do this. Retexture old sets! I know matte clear coat could do it, but that feels wrong.

I wonder if you clear coat the caps and then sand the majority of the coating off would end with good results.
Or maybe a quick shot of some textured spray paint? They have that rock like finish, they might be good with a quick spray on the top.

I do not care about shine at all, but when it shows as spots on long key caps, specially on the space bar. The simple solution is to use PBT space bars always.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #2251 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:17:26 »
Paint on keys is rarely a good idea.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2252 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:37:12 »
Im just curious, what do people use arrow keys for? With programming, gaming, daily use, I've never found that I really use them or want them, much less need them.

How do you navigate around an Office (or the equivalent) document (Word, but especially Excel) quickly at a granular level without arrow keys? Or more infrequently but specifically, for quickly navigating around a BIOS screen. New PC motherboards come with graphical interfaces, but it feels just... wrong... to use a mouse there.

Just typing the above sentence, I used the arrow keys a bunch of times to add in the phrase contained in the first set of brackets.

The only other way I can think of to navigate is with a mouse, and that's really inefficient for moving the cursor small distances as taking a hand away from the keyboard detracts from fluid typing. And a mouse is nowhere near as quick+granular.

After I got the Duck Eagle the arrow keys were the main thing that I missed from my full size.  Since I have gotten it layered I love having them back for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, as well as for some games where it makes map navigation easier.  When I was using it at work it was a much bigger deal as I use Excel and tax software that relies a lot on the arrow keys but also the numpad, so I don't think that at this time I could use anything less than a full size there.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2253 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:54:30 »
This feels like an unpopular opinion at times: I like Topre and Cherry.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2254 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:24:50 »
Here are a couple more unpopular opinions...

• I don't like the HHKB's case. I might have been spoiled by Cherry and IBM...
  • I have an issue with color on keyboards...very few times does it actually work correctly to be aesthetically pleasing, like RGBY and CMYW work for me but not CMYK (which is kind of interesting because C+M+Y = K). I suppose this is why I like beige and dolch so much...

I like Topre, and Cherry and IBM. But not Alps  :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2255 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:59:13 »

• I have an issue with color on keyboards...very few times does it actually work correctly to be aesthetically pleasing, like RGBY and CMYW work for me but not CMYK (which is kind of interesting because C+M+Y = K). I suppose this is why I like beige and dolch so much...

These are not really unpopular opinions, it is only that people do not say them.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2256 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:59:20 »
Im just curious, what do people use arrow keys for? With programming, gaming, daily use, I've never found that I really use them or want them, much less need them.

How do you navigate around an Office (or the equivalent) document (Word, but especially Excel) quickly at a granular level without arrow keys? Or more infrequently but specifically, for quickly navigating around a BIOS screen. New PC motherboards come with graphical interfaces, but it feels just... wrong... to use a mouse there.

Just typing the above sentence, I used the arrow keys a bunch of times to add in the phrase contained in the first set of brackets.

The only other way I can think of to navigate is with a mouse, and that's really inefficient for moving the cursor small distances as taking a hand away from the keyboard detracts from fluid typing. And a mouse is nowhere near as quick+granular.

After I got the Duck Eagle the arrow keys were the main thing that I missed from my full size.  Since I have gotten it layered I love having them back for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, as well as for some games where it makes map navigation easier.  When I was using it at work it was a much bigger deal as I use Excel and tax software that relies a lot on the arrow keys but also the numpad, so I don't think that at this time I could use anything less than a full size there.

Agreed on these points. For me, arrow keys for certain games that don't allow remapping or navigation in certain parts of games (such as the mentioned maps) is a factor. Also, text manipulation used separately or in tandem with my mouse word, notepad, forums, etc. I'll even sometimes use it to browse on web pages when I'm lazy (same deal with pg up/down).

Personally, I think that if the HHKB Pro 2 requires you to buy Hasu's controller to remap everything, then it's not the keyboard that you should be using, unless you really love the portability. I admit it's impressive how solid such a light and small keyboard feels, but I'm probably going to sell mine off.

I'm considering a HHKB Pro JP, but I will end up with both RF 87U 45G and 55G variants first.

I like Topre and linear Cherry MX.  :p
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline joen

« Reply #2257 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:18:04 »

That's easy, just write everything in Vim :P

Jokes aside, I'm quite fine with using the fn-layer in the apps that don't support Vim bindings. I must admit that I spend about 95% of my time in Vim though.
Using Tapatalk

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2258 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 01:27:35 »
I think Topre feels like ****.  The realforce feels cheap as ****.  Loud rattly spacebar, the keycap profile sucks.  It's also ugly as ****.  I prefer my membrane to it.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2259 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 01:28:22 »
I think Topre feels like ****.  The realforce feels cheap as ****.  Loud rattly spacebar, the keycap profile sucks.  It's also ugly as ****.  I prefer my membrane to it.

Try HHKB.  I despised Topre until I tried the HHKB.  Realforce, 35g at least, just felt like **** to me.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #2260 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 03:12:14 »
Dental banding an HHKB should be considered a federal offence. Think of the worst thing you've ever felt, and that's what a dental banded HHKB feels like. I bought my HHKB secondhand and its previous owner had defaced it with multicolored elastic rings. You better believe I ripped that b**** open and removed all of them when I received it. I did it so fast, the mailman hadn't even made it back to his truck before I reassembled the board.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2261 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 03:15:57 »

Why you don't like alps?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2262 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 03:30:09 »

Why you don't like alps?

Ever see that movie Everest? Yeah those were his parents

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2263 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 08:40:41 »
I don't like Topre and I prefer Alps to Cherry.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2264 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:03:04 »

Why you don't like alps?

Come on man, too soon.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2265 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:05:00 »

HALF OF THE WEBSITE DOESN'T LIKE TOPRE
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2266 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 14:25:02 »
Dental banding an HHKB should be considered a federal offence. Think of the worst thing you've ever felt, and that's what a dental banded HHKB feels like. I bought my HHKB secondhand and its previous owner had defaced it with multicolored elastic rings. You better believe I ripped that b**** open and removed all of them when I received it. I did it so fast, the mailman hadn't even made it back to his truck before I reassembled the board.

Totally agree with this opinion  :thumb:

With the way things are going, i feel like soon keyboards will be second to stupid artisan talk. So my unpopular keyboard opinion of the day is that I care far more about keyboards than keycaps.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2267 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 14:25:59 »
Paint on keys is rarely a good idea.

Oh yeah, i have NEVER seen good lasting results from this, ever.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2268 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:10:31 »

With the way things are going, i feel like soon keyboards will be second to stupid artisan talk. So my unpopular keyboard opinion of the day is that I care far more about keyboards than keycaps.

Some threads, like the "what did you received in the mail today" have been about artisan pretty much every day, I wonder if the site should change its name to artisan's caps.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2269 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:13:02 »

Some threads, like the "what did you received in the mail today" have been about artisan pretty much every day, I wonder if the site should change its name to artisan's caps.

Hmmmm, artisans are the least important thing to me after keyboard and keysets.  I would much rather have a new keyset than a single artisan or even a couple artisans.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2270 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:16:23 »

Hmmmm, artisans are the least important thing to me after keyboard and keysets.  I would much rather have a new keyset than a single artisan or even a couple artisans.

I respect people that like them, but artisan keycaps contribute to the bizarreness of the economy that exists within the keyboard community.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2271 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:25:29 »

I respect people that like them, but artisan keycaps contribute to the bizarreness of the economy that exists within the keyboard community.

The thought of spending $100, $200, or even more for a single keycap still boggles my mind.  I really like some of the artisans out there but when I see these prices all I can think about is how I could get a whole keyset or a whole new keyboard for the price of a single keycap.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2272 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:30:39 »

The thought of spending $100, $200, or even more for a single keycap still boggles my mind.  I really like some of the artisans out there but when I see these prices all I can think about is how I could get a whole keyset or a whole new keyboard for the price of a single keycap.

That's economy madness, the question is what is in the mind of people buying them, Adam Smith may feel so uncomfortable with this weird economics lack of logic in his very own tomb.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2273 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:37:15 »

That's economy madness, the question is what is in the mind of people buying them, Adam Smith may feel so uncomfortable with this weird economics lack of logic in his very own tomb.

Find a hobby and you will find that collectibles along with rarity do funny things to certain people, as evidenced by stuff like CS:GO skins, MTG cards, and even model trains.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2274 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:37:25 »

Pretty much this. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the ones I have, but it is never a priority to me, and I surely would never pay $$$$ for a single cap when I have a hard enough time paying $$$ for a wicked cool keycap set.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2275 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:12:19 »
Artisans can be boiled down very simply, to be honest. It's a hobby for some, a breath of fresh air from years of talking about the same things within the mech kb sphere for others, art to be appreciated by many, and lastly - and this is the dangerous one - a potential impulse or obsession to collect or always "crave something else".

Of course, it's one more thing - it's a passion for those that create, like any artistic endeavour. I have found reading the posts from Binge on the creation process and seeing pictures of early sculpts from people like those of the recent reapers from Bro Caps fascinating - more interesting than actually owning them perhaps.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2276 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 08:09:43 »
Of course, it's one more thing - it's a passion for those that create, like any artistic endeavour.

I think it may be starting to become a cash grab for some. This link always disheartens me when I see current prices.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2277 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:11:24 »
Of course, it's one more thing - it's a passion for those that create, like any artistic endeavour.

I think it may be starting to become a cash grab for some. This link always disheartens me when I see current prices.

Wow, I never knew they were originally sold for such a low price.  Sucks that it has turned into a cash grab for some people, although I think that is partially due to the propensity of collectors to only want to trade their rare artisans for other rare artisans.  If people don't have caps that someone else wants, their only option is to pay much higher than retail to make it worthwhile for both parties.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2278 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:38:05 »
Sure, historically, they were much cheaper. If I recall correctly, the EK Blue I got from EK was probably something like $10.

I don't know the specifics when it comes to artisans, because I really haven't been around since 2011 and it's amazing to see how this all exploded in the years that have passed, but I do know Clack was never particularly interested in making large profit from the craft. What I can say is that in any collector's market, retail pricing will increase not because of greed, but to combat resellers attempting to make large profit off items. If the initial cost is more significant, the likelihood of resale for a profit becomes lessened. You can see this in virtually anything that is released and becomes collectible - for example, I've seen a lot of this in the limited edition "coloured" vinyl and boxsets bands were releasing in the past 10 or so years.

It can be argued that this has the opposite effect - pushing resale prices further up, but this isn't something directly observable in practice. The desirability of older items that have long since been produced simply continues to go up, and the pricing along with it.

Beyond this, the state of domestic and global markets has changed quite significantly over the past few years, and, as we all know, the cost of material typically continues to rise.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #2279 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:57:30 »

Clickclacks would make a great college fund!

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #2280 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:25:15 »
Having no mechanical keyboard right now by hand, and typing on the built in keyboard of a 2012 Macbook feels so great, and my typing speed is faster than on the keyboard used before.

... ...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2281 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:30:23 »
The fanboyism behind cherry is ridiculous.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2282 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:30:57 »
The fanboyism behind Topre on GH is ridiculous.

FTFY

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2283 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:32:10 »
You're ridiculous OnO

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2284 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:40:36 »
You're ridiculous OnO

I hate because I can't appreciate

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2285 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:51:39 »
You're ridiculous OnO

I'm gonna send you one of my hhkbs so you can try it out. Then you can buy your own and get ready of all things cherry. Just let me get some free time.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2286 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:41:26 »
You're ridiculous OnO

I'm gonna send you one of my hhkbs so you can try it out. Then you can buy your own and get ready of all things cherry. Just let me get some free time.

But what if that turned me into a Topre fanboy?  Could I still sleep at night?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2287 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:54:47 »
Like a baby

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2288 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:41:33 »
Like a baby

So erratically with random points where I wake up because I **** my pants while sleeping?  Because that's how my baby sleeps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2289 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:45:06 »
Like a baby

So erratically with random points where I wake up because I **** my pants while sleeping?  Because that's how my baby sleeps.

Yeah I never understood that phrase.  Babies suck at sleeping.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2290 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:45:18 »
* DSA is ridiculous. It is literally like having OEM profile home row keys all over the board.
* Matrix layout is not ergonomic. At all.
* Alps' Black and Cream force curve with its high actuation point and drop is at fault for rubber domes getting popular.
* You have to mod Cherry MX to make them feel good, and that SUCKS.
* ErgoDox is overrated.
* Cherry MX Red are stupid.
* Buckling springs are overrated.
* Heavier keyboard does NOT make for a better typing experience.
* Plate-mounting Cherry MX does not make it better.
* Lower profile is better.
* Cherry stabilisers > Costar stabilisers.
* Most scissor switches that are not super-cheap have a higher feel of quality than Cherry MX or Alps, because they are more stabilised.
* Clacks look like the super-cheap toys you get in a cereal box or with cheap candy you buy at a shady place. You could just as well buy action figures or Lego minifigs and place them next to the keyboard - it is cheaper, they usually look much better and you could actually type on the keys if they have proper keycaps instead.

edgy

- i clicked on the wrong page and thought this was the most recent rip me

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #2291 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:49:37 »
* DSA is ridiculous. It is literally like having OEM profile home row keys all over the board.
* Alps' Black and Cream force curve with its high actuation point and drop is at fault for rubber domes getting popular.
* ErgoDox is overrated.
* Most scissor switches that are not super-cheap have a higher feel of quality than Cherry MX or Alps, because they are more stabilised.
* Clacks look like the super-cheap toys you get in a cereal box or with cheap candy you buy at a shady place. You could just as well buy action figures or Lego minifigs and place them next to the keyboard - it is cheaper, they usually look much better and you could actually type on the keys if they have proper keycaps instead.

Show Image

edgy

I wonder how these opinions hold over a year later. Probably the same?
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2292 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:50:16 »
Like a baby

Yeah I never understood that phrase.  Babies suck at sleeping.

My baby is actually pretty good when sleeping as I still average around 7 hours of sleep a night, but that's certainly not the norm.  Maybe the phrase should be "Sleep like someone who drank a ****-load of Nyquil" but it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2293 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:12:34 »
Like a baby

The keyboard is so great you will **** your pants with anticipation to start using it for the day.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2294 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:45:20 »
Like a baby

The keyboard is so great you will **** your pants with anticipation to start using it for the day.

Topre should trademark that and use it for marketing purposes.  You could even get royalties!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2295 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:56:56 »
* ErgoDox is overrated.

Show Image

edgy

I wonder how these opinions hold over a year later. Probably the same?

I agree with almost every opinion, except 2 or 3 (well, let's call it 1.5). BS is overrated because it's all pretty much the same, but the F62 is a gamechanger. But still worth having at least one around.

Some clacks are truly nice, like ogres and the keypacitor. Skulls are overrated, blanks would fit well the "toy box" description.

PCB mount vintage blacks are ok stock. I want to mod but that's just my preference.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2296 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 02:34:18 »
Redacted.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:11:05 by Glod »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2297 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 04:04:28 »

Why you don't like alps?

I'm sorry jerue.  :p

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2298 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 18:51:09 »
Not sure how unpopular this is as of now since I haven't heard to many opinions on it, but the new Cherry logo is ugly as sin
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2299 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:01:30 »
Not sure how unpopular this is as of now since I haven't heard to many opinions on it, but the new Cherry logo is ugly as sin

while quite a few are interested in getting them made the prevailing consensus has been that the older ones were way better