Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268550 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2300 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:32:55 »
This one seems unpopular based upon how buys are run, but any custom keyboards should either have really available PCBs or they should allow you to purchase extra PCBs and, if the design requires them, plates as well.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2301 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:34:12 »
This one seems unpopular based upon how buys are run, but any custom keyboards should either have really available PCBs or they should allow you to purchase extra PCBs and, if the design requires them, plates as well.

+1 would suck so hard to botch a PCB and be SOL on a $400+ case paperweight.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2302 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:34:28 »

I agree with that, I honestly may just start picking up spares when I can because something can always go wrong.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2303 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 09:03:20 »
This is really a good idea!

Offline robbles

« Reply #2304 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:06:15 »
I think flipped spacebars looks really bad and feel terrible. When I first went mech I flipped my spacebar because I wasn't used to how it felt, but it didn't take me long to flip it back. Not sure if this is that unpopular, but when I see pics of nice looking boards with flipped spacebars it irks me.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2305 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:50:28 »
I think flipped spacebars looks really bad and feel terrible. When I first went mech I flipped my spacebar because I wasn't used to how it felt, but it didn't take me long to flip it back. Not sure if this is that unpopular, but when I see pics of nice looking boards with flipped spacebars it irks me.

more people like them regular rather than flipped
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2306 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 23:51:58 »

Yep, this is true.

I never gelled with the whole flipped thing as I never had any real issues with the space bars as they are.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2307 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 02:11:18 »
I don't like blue alps but loves orange alps
blue alps is just really crisp and tactile and I don't like that

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #2308 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:10:27 »
iso enter is terrible but looks good, ansi right shift is too big, caps lock should be backspace. QWERTY is bad and dvorak and other layouts should replace it as its outdated and uncomfortable. is this unpopular?
TP4 fanboy

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2309 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:17:00 »
caps lock should be backspace.

You sir might be onto something there.

Offline Fiery

« Reply #2310 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:29:05 »

I know lol. it allows you to simply move your pinky slightly to the left instead of your whole hand to the right, very useful. so I do reccomend it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:31:19 by Fiery »
TP4 fanboy

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2311 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 05:33:20 »

I know lol. it allows you to simply move your pinky slightly to the left instead of your whole hand to the right, very useful. so I do reccomend it.

I am going to try this.

Offline Fiery

« Reply #2312 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 05:37:00 »

I am going to try this.

tell me how it goes also in windows you can use something called sharpkeys to change the registry to do this and make backspace caps-lock
TP4 fanboy

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #2313 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:01:04 »

Yep, this is true.

I never gelled with the whole flipped thing as I never had any real issues with the space bars as they are.

Depends on the caps. TaiHao and Leopold have quite sharp edges, and the TaiHao also is quite tall, so I like to flip the spacebars on those. GMK is better unflipped.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2314 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:28:11 »

Yep, this is true.

Depends on the caps. TaiHao and Leopold have quite sharp edges, and the TaiHao also is quite tall, so I like to flip the spacebars on those. GMK is better unflipped.

This. YMMV, but on my HHKB, the edge on the spacebar is very hard and I notice it everytime I press it. So I've reversed it and now it feels much better. But on my KUL I don't feel the need. I think it also depends on the profile of the rows. The HHKB feels like it is a u-shape, where the first row where the spacebar is is more straight up than on regular mx boards.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #2315 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:36:05 »
You're ridiculous OnO

I hate because I can't appreciate

I'm gonna send you one of my hhkbs so you can try it out. Then you can buy your own and get ready of all things cherry. Just let me get some free time.

Can I actually get in on this? Like I'm using a Novatouch atm and have not touched a HHKB yet.

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #2316 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:18:29 »
I hate the sound of a amodel M even if im the person typing on it. But , I love the feels though!
"All is Well"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2317 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:26:39 »
Apple's original first aluminum chiclet keyboard with numpad was really really good and solid, still have it laying around. The rest after that is complete garbage, worst amongst the worst. Why o why do companies always need to cut corners.

Offline Mick Jogger

« Reply #2318 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:54:57 »
Got to say: I really like typing on the Apple Chiclet.

We use them at work. I can type really fast with those. Probably pretty unpopular opinion :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2319 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:57:57 »
You're ridiculous OnO

I'm gonna send you one of my hhkbs so you can try it out. Then you can buy your own and get ready of all things cherry. Just let me get some free time.

Can I actually get in on this? Like I'm using a Novatouch atm and have not touched a HHKB yet.

Yes. I'll make a thread tonight. With a special surprise!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #2320 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:01:19 »
You're ridiculous OnO

Yes. I'll make a thread tonight. With a special surprise!

Awesome, I can't wait!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2321 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:15:39 »

We use them at work. I can type really fast with those. Probably pretty unpopular opinion :D

I have them in my macbook pro 2010 as well. They are great on the go. But for longer stretches I still want my mech keyboard. Though I do see the appeal of the short travel in the chiclets.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2322 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:32:12 »
Not a big fan of the Alps Plate Spring switch. It just feels odd to me, but then it might feel more at home to people used to buckling springs or beam springs.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2323 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:44:46 »

Yep, now I'm reconsidering my previous plan of remapping my caps lock to a fn key.  :eek:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2324 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:28:03 »
A good quality rubber dome can feel quite good; there's a really snappy board at work & the sounds and feel is really good.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2325 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:44:46 »
A good quality rubber dome can feel quite good; there's a really snappy board at work & the sounds and feel is really good.

I love scissor switches. More than typing on mechanical at times. Especially because it's easy on the joints, but also because of the tactile feeling and smoothness. Never found them unpleasant TBH.

The rubber domes on my ****ty microsoft keyboard, however, can burn.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2326 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:54:08 »

Do you mean a Topre?  :p

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2327 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:54:45 »

Still don't have one - soon.

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #2328 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:57:33 »

I still like my orginal rubber dome I got for 20 bucks off amazon.
"All is Well"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2329 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:58:43 »

The work board is $10, the design is really nice too. Shame I can't get some sneak pictures as the sides are never shown on the internet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2330 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 19:46:00 »

The work board is $10, the design is really nice too. Shame I can't get some sneak pictures as the sides are never shown on the internet.

Rubber dome boards come with very low quality key caps, that alone, makes a mechanical custom worth it, if I will be typing for hours on one I'd prefer it to be a good looking one.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2331 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:06:31 »

Instaban!  :eek:

Actually I have one too that I really like. I'd say I type fastest on it, it's very tactile, smooth, and extremely quiet.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2332 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 05:52:18 »

Instaban!  :eek:

Actually I have one too that I really like. I'd say I type fastest on it, it's very tactile, smooth, and extremely quiet.

Have you tried the newest? With the tapered design and the charging?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2333 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:58:40 »
I think Topre feels like ****.  The realforce feels cheap as ****.  Loud rattly spacebar, the keycap profile sucks.  It's also ugly as ****.  I prefer my membrane to it.

i was gonna say something, but then i looked at your sig, now i just feel bad for you.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2334 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:06:57 »
I think Topre feels like ****.  The realforce feels cheap as ****.  Loud rattly spacebar, the keycap profile sucks.  It's also ugly as ****.  I prefer my membrane to it.

i was gonna say something, but then i looked at your sig, now i just feel bad for you.

This is like the keyboard version of your parents saying, "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed."
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2335 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:35:42 »

This is like the keyboard version of your parents saying, "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed."
     I learned how to HTML on a buckling spring keyboard my older brother let me borrow. I kind of miss the sound of a loud spacebar. I think the first computer I built had a buckling spring keyboard as well. The more I read on this forum the more I warm up to Topre. Sigh.   

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2336 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:39:44 »

I think your constant talk of the HHKB is going to make me get one when I get back into the kb game. I hope it is endgame so I can stay lowkey money wise :confused:

Offline E3E

« Reply #2337 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:33:04 »

I think your constant talk of the HHKB is going to make me get one when I get back into the kb game. I hope it is endgame so I can stay lowkey money wise :confused:

Man, I've already hit endgame with my 60% Alps board, and yet...

I still want more; it's not even about endgame anymore. Haha. I am 100% satisfied with my Hammer Alps board, but that doesn't matter.

It's hard to get out of this game unless you just seriously step out and stop paying attention to it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2338 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:35:23 »

The secret is there is no endgame. You just find a board that you're satisfied with for a certain period of time until something new comes along. ;)
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline E3E

« Reply #2339 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:08:25 »

The secret is there is no endgame. You just find a board that you're satisfied with for a certain period of time until something new comes along. ;)

Haha. It's always nice finding something new! Of course, there's no denying that this one will probably always have a special place with me though, so that increases its well... stability as a favorite (good synonym for endgame, huh? ;) ), haha.

However, I definitely agree! I like keeping up with all the new and awesomely innovative things coming out in keyboard land.

Offline lootbag

« Reply #2340 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:08:28 »

Truth.

I bought an HHKB and disappeared from GH for 3.5 years. One day I wanted to replace some keycaps on the HHKB so I logged into GH and now... I have an 87U 55g and a Duck on the way.

Disaster strikes  :)

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #2341 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 01:41:34 »
Have you tried the newest? With the tapered design and the charging?

I have, albeit not for very long. I really don't like them. The keys are stable and have a kind of tactile "snap" to them that's neat, but there's just not enough key travel. The aluminum Apple keyboards have 2mm travel; the Magic Keyboard only has 1mm.

I have a Magic Keyboard on the way, ironically, because I have a new iMac on the way. But I'm going to keep my RF87 as my main driver. (I might give the new trackpad a serious try, though...)
Realforce 87U / Unicomp SSM / KUL-87 MX Clear / Matias TP3 / CODE MX Green

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2342 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 07:18:21 »

Truth.

I bought an HHKB and disappeared from GH for 3.5 years. One day I wanted to replace some keycaps on the HHKB so I logged into GH and now... I have an 87U 55g and a Duck on the way.

Disaster strikes  :)

Disaster? Brooo the 87U 55g is awesome! I have it since yesterday and I love it. You're gonna love it!  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2343 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 07:21:59 »
I have enough with only two boards and a couple of OG Cherry key cap sets to dress them up. Is this unpopular enough?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2344 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:24:26 »
I have enough with only two boards and a couple of OG Cherry key cap sets to dress them up. Is this unpopular enough?

not really I could quit the hobby with SQ and MX-5000 but it's pleasant to build nice boards.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2345 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:26:48 »

not really I could quit the hobby with SQ and MX-5000 but it's pleasant to build nice boards.

I can get some fun rebuilding the existing ones.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2346 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:42:23 »
DOLCH is ugly

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2347 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:45:17 »
DELL sucks. HP sucks. They are soulless, faceless, profit-seeking, clueless companies that have no taste and do not know how to build quality products without compromises.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2348 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:49:31 »
DELL sucks. HP sucks. They are soulless, faceless, profit-seeking, clueless companies that have no taste and do not know how to build quality products without compromises.

When you already control a market there's no need to innovate. Quantity over quality, unfortunately.  :(

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2349 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:06:06 »
You don't need to have the perfect keyboard. Don't worry, be happy.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.