Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268638 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2350 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:08:01 »
You don't need to have the perfect keyboard. Don't worry, be happy.

If you think a perfect keyboard exists in the first place, you will have lots of issues, mainly with the wallet.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2351 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:09:03 »

If you think a perfect keyboard exists in the first place, you will have lots of issues, mainly with the wallet.

HHKB is not that expensive. Your wallet will be fine, hhkb is the perfect keyboard.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2352 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:23:54 »

HHKB is not that expensive. Your wallet will be fine, hhkb is the perfect keyboard.

It is almost perfect. It does need better rubber feet ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2353 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:27:42 »
Type softly and it won't move around. User error!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2354 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:22:22 »

Do not be confused, the lack of feet is not a mistake, it is all intentional: Having it moving around the desk all the time is part of its perfectness.

:)) :)) :))

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2355 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:29:52 »

Do not be confused, the lack of feet is not a mistake, it is all intentional: Having it moving around the desk all the time is part of its perfectness.

:)) :)) :))

hm, i guess there are days where the only workout I get is chasing my HHKB all over my desk. Keeping me healthy

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2356 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:30:10 »
Type softly and it won't move around. User error!

PEBKAC!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2357 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:30:46 »
DELL sucks. HP sucks. They are soulless, faceless, profit-seeking, clueless companies that have no taste and do not know how to build quality products without compromises.

When you already control a market there's no need to innovate. Quantity over quality, unfortunately.  :(

Sad but true.. :(

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2358 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:43:36 »

In my searches I found this..

:cool:

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2359 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:53:10 »
DELL sucks. HP sucks. They are soulless, faceless, profit-seeking, clueless companies that have no taste and do not know how to build quality products without compromises.

When you already control a market there's no need to innovate. Quantity over quality, unfortunately.  :(

The Skylake (Gen6) iteration of the XPS 13 / 15 are rather fantastic IMO. For the past few generations, they've improved leaps and bounds.

Also, there's this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9923/dell-demonstrates-30inch-4k-oled-display
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2360 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:03:32 »

The Skylake (Gen6) iteration of the XPS 13 / 15 are rather fantastic IMO. For the past few generations, they've improved leaps and bounds.

Also, there's this:

Phew once oled matches IPS color and price  :eek: Dell was a workhorse for as far back as I can remember.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2361 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 15:24:46 »

Also, there's this:

Not until you look closely. Go look for issues with the current gen XPS 13 / 15. Coil whine.. QC issues. Unsupportive customer service (at least in US). Same old same old.

As for the displays, I'm also underwhelmed. I use a U2713HM myself after careful research for months: great panel, same as in Apple Cinema Display and great uniformity.

But the latest panels (U2715*) have great uniformity issues (see TFTCentral). Why? They actually managed to DEGRADE the quality of their screens. This annoys me. The upside is they still do not use PWM.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2362 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 18:31:01 »

moose found some really great rubber plugs you can put in the screw holes that help with this.  :thumb:  Unfortunately, not sure where they're from.  :|

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2363 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 18:46:25 »

Also, there's this:

Not until you look closely. Go look for issues with the current gen XPS 13 / 15. Coil whine.. QC issues. Unsupportive customer service (at least in US). Same old same old.

As for the displays, I'm also underwhelmed. I use a U2713HM myself after careful research for months: great panel, same as in Apple Cinema Display and great uniformity.

But the latest panels (U2715*) have great uniformity issues (see TFTCentral). Why? They actually managed to DEGRADE the quality of their screens. This annoys me. The upside is they still do not use PWM.

Almost every monitor on the market is prone to a QC issue of some sort. Backlight bleed, uniformity issues, yellow tint, even dust behind the panel. Dell is not the manufacturer of panels and, much like other brands, is at the mercy of the panel manufacturer, of which there are only a select few. My Eizo Foris FG2421, Acer XB270HU, and Asus PG279Q were all junk. The PG279Q was actually the worst (had all the issues I mentioned above). Finally got a decent panel with my XB271HU (XB1).

People are even reporting displeasure with NEC and Eizo monitors these days, as well as their support... it's something plaguing the industry as a whole.

I've heard and seen more reports of QC issues with Surface Pro models than XPS to be honest (throttling/thermal issues primarily), but I'll keep an eye out for these XPS issues. One thing that irks me is the fact that Intel & Microsoft made a big deal about the jointed development in parallel of Skylake / Windows 10, yet both the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book lack TB3... that's a glaring omission. External graphics via TB is starting to take off, so this was a missed opportunity.
Still haven't seen Speed Shift working on my 6700K either.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2364 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:50:28 »
People are even reporting displeasure with NEC and Eizo monitors these days, as well as their support... it's something plaguing the industry as a whole.
i thought nec and eizo make professional grade monitors? if even they have issues, what can we expect from mainstream/consumer grade brands..

Offline andysun

« Reply #2365 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:33:41 »
RGB/CMY mods are horrible and ruin a keyboard's aesthetics.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2366 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:40:02 »
the yellow is the only problem color imo

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2367 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:24:30 »
i thought nec and eizo make professional grade monitors? if even they have issues, what can we expect from mainstream/consumer grade brands..

PC Monitors suck, PC Laptops suck overall. Every single alternative product has compromises in the wrong places IMHO. I've went through almost ALL monitors (IPS, IPVA, 24", 27", 30", Dell, HP, Eizo, IIyama, Acer, Asus, BenQ), did my homework and concluded I cannot buy a new monitor today that satisfies my needs. It's either PWM, uniformity issues, firmware issues, backlight bleed, extreme greyshift (VA-panels), banding (VA-panels), wobbly stand, incomplete, connectivity. Seems the customer can't just win with a monitor.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #2368 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:30:08 »
Haha so many of these keyboards with what some manufacturers call “floating keys” like poker3, varmilo, magicforce. And I think people are actually desiring this look. So many fancy korean customs I see have this incomplete half case LOL. I wonder if it is a custom and it looks like that I really hope that it's just missing a top case or something and the owner has not yet gotten around to affording a top case yet? Are top cases even a thing?

(I dont know anything about customs because I've never desired programmability or all those other things)

Anyway so yeah I get the feeling some people are not realizing that it is obviously far cheaper for manufacturers to only produce half a case. “but look it's so cool you can see the side of the switches so other people will be curious about my keyboard and they can see that it's actually a mechanical one!”
Haha it looks terrible.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2369 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:58:33 »
Haha so many of these keyboards with what some manufacturers call “floating keys” like poker3, varmilo, magicforce. And I think people are actually desiring this look. So many fancy korean customs I see have this incomplete half case LOL. I wonder if it is a custom and it looks like that I really hope that it's just missing a top case or something and the owner has not yet gotten around to affording a top case yet? Are top cases even a thing?

(I dont know anything about customs because I've never desired programmability or all those other things)

Anyway so yeah I get the feeling some people are not realizing that it is obviously far cheaper for manufacturers to only produce half a case. “but look it's so cool you can see the side of the switches so other people will be curious about my keyboard and they can see that it's actually a mechanical one!”
Haha it looks terrible.

Yeah, it makes sense what you're saying. But I also like the look of the pok3r. That the switches are almost on the edge of the case.. it has something minimalistic to it like the see-through plastic apple keyboards of the day I guess

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2370 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:09:40 »

I have to agree on this one, bought CYMW and hate it on TA/JTK sets. Might look nice with Dolch but that kind of destroys the sole reason of Dolch being simple.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2371 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:10:17 »
Pulse looks terrible, Midnight and Calm Depths too. Black and blue do not go well together people.

Deskthority Rounds are literally the most goregous SA sets ever constructed, why anyone else even bothers I will never know.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2372 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:11:30 »
Pulse looks terrible, Midnight and Calm Depths too. Black and blue do not go well together people.

Deskthority Rounds are literally the most goregous SA sets ever constructed, why anyone else even bothers I will never know.

DT Rounds are some of the best looking sets to be fair, they put black/blue to shame

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2373 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:13:40 »

Opinions on aesthetics are neither unpopular nor popular, are just one of many likes or dislikes.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2374 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:27:08 »

Opinions on aesthetics are neither unpopular nor popular, are just one of many likes or dislikes.

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2375 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:49:13 »
PC Monitors suck, PC Laptops suck overall. Every single alternative product has compromises in the wrong places IMHO
yep, monitors released in the past 3-4 years are woefully imbalanced qualitywise. have you tried a high refresh rate screen?

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2376 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:15:52 »
I bought a Topre board.

It was ok.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #2377 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:26:36 »
Let's hear them.

I'll start off.

1. I hate 60% boards, and rarely use my Poker 2. The lack of arrow keys kills me, and I can never be productive or get serious work done on one.

2. I think HHKB boards are overrated, and the layout dumber than a Poker. I think custom MX, HHKB layout boards are just as stupid (Viper, Happy).

3. I think Topre is overrated, and lower quality than MX (despite the higher price) as the board tends to get stiffer over time.

1. agreed.
2. same with no 1, i think. 60% keyboard are no go for me.
3. disagree. i used my topre since '2012 ish and didn't have any problems about stiffer membrane.
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2378 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:43:21 »
The rubber can probably dry out over time if the keyboard is used in a drier climate to begin with. I really don't think general usage is what causes the problem some people report.

@mobbo - why you breakin' my heart, man?

Yes, but many of them still use PWM, such as the otherwise excellent CX271. Research and documentation of this severely affecting some people really only gained prominence within the past 4 years or so.

Professional monitors with defects will require support, too. This is where EIZO and NEC seem to be falling short compared to the past. I'm sure they are still far beyond other brands, but there's been a decline that cannot be ignored.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:45:38 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2379 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:45:15 »
The rubber can probably dry out over time if the keyboard is used in a drier climate to begin with. I really don't think general usage is what causes the problem some people report.

@mobbo - why you breakin' my heart, man?

Yes, but many of them still use PWM, something that previously wasn't caught as a potential issue for some people. It's really only been in the past 4 years or so.

Professional monitors with defects will require support, too. This is where EIZO and NEC seem to be falling short compared to the past. I'm sure they are still far beyond other brands, but there's been a decline that cannot be ignored.

I still need to try the HHKB so there is still room for conversion.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2380 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:09:31 »

Well, except that it needs function keys.  And dedicated media keys.  And split (6 on the left side).  And tented.  All in a single case.  And the backspace on the number row.  And the slash next to the brackets.  And the Fn key on the left side.  And Win/Meta/Super keys.

But other than that...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2381 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:10:44 »

Well, except that it needs function keys.  And dedicated media keys.  And split (6 on the left side).  And tented.  All in a single case.  And the backspace on the number row.  And the slash next to the brackets.  And the Fn key on the left side.  And Win/Meta/Super keys.

But other than that...
Heathen
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2382 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:13:50 »

But other than that...
Heathen

It's a funny thing.  The HHKB uses the UNIX layout.  Yet, as a UNIX admin in the command line daily, I find it a mediocre layout.  The \| key is placed too far out of reach for the amount I use it.  The Ctrl key location is nice but it's otherwise an unimpressive layout to me, having used Sun keyboards with that layout for years.  Even then, Sun eventually switched to a standard ANSI layout.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2383 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:44:33 »
PC Monitors suck, PC Laptops suck overall. Every single alternative product has compromises in the wrong places IMHO
yep, monitors released in the past 3-4 years are woefully imbalanced qualitywise. have you tried a high refresh rate screen?

No.. I don't even dare to buy a monitor being afraid of instant buyer remorse :p
What about those monitors?

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2384 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:47:19 »
144hz(/165hz) + Gsync is the closest gaming experience I've felt to the CRTs of old.

The problem is getting a panel that isn't junk as has been discussed, but the above comment is why I kept trying.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2385 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:55:51 »

:|

CMYW Dolch by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2386 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:15:55 »
144hz(/165hz) + Gsync is the closest gaming experience I've felt to the CRTs of old.

The problem is getting a panel that isn't junk as has been discussed, but the above comment is why I kept trying.

Nice. Yeah I actually miss CRTs (especially Iiyama Diamondtron). The right CRTs were more crisp, vivid, and better black values if you ask me. More easy on the eyes if you had like 80-120hz, like Iiyama's. No backlight bleed, no uniformity issues. Just goodness.

I honestly think monitor hardware is going backwards nowadays. Such a shame.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2387 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:17:43 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2388 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 18:22:21 »

Show Image

Can you type rainbows with that? Please say yes..  :D

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #2389 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:53:33 »
I've had a BenQ XL2430T for the last year, and after some playing with the settings, it's one of the best looking panels I've ever owned.  I don't even have G-sync.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2390 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 00:58:25 »

Show Image

I recognize that cap puller :D

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #2391 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 01:02:23 »
I've had a BenQ XL2430T for the last year, and after some playing with the settings, it's one of the best looking panels I've ever owned.  I don't even have G-sync.

Damn, I had the exact opposite experience. I had an XL2430T and for the life of me could not get it looking good, especially compared to my Asus VS239H-P. My brother had it and tried the same issue; the colors and overall picture was just super lacking.

As a more apples-to-apples comparison, my brother's Acer GN246HL (another TN panel 144Hz monitor) also looked much better, even setting the XL2430T side-by-side with it and trying to get them to match. Overall, it was incredibly disappointing, especially given the price of the BenQ. Had I paid anything approaching full price for it I would have been disappointed
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2392 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 01:18:09 »

Show Image

I recognize that cap puller :D

Definitely my go-to cap puller.  :-*

Offline andysun

« Reply #2393 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 04:40:14 »

Show Image

Nooo, poor Dolch! :eek:

That being said, I do enjoy the occasional splash of cyan on darker colourways. I think it's the whole CMY combination that ruins it for me.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2394 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:05:31 »

Looks cool.. but not suited for my needs. I need to do color accurate work now and then (print design), so TN wouldn't really work for me.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2395 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 07:26:15 »
i've heard complaints about IPS's lackluster (if not downright horrendous) black levels. does that impact your color-dependent work?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2396 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 07:31:49 »
i've heard complaints about IPS's lackluster (if not downright horrendous) black levels. does that impact your color-dependent work?

Yes it does. I would prefer a VA-panel (which has better gray levels), but VA has other issues, such as greyshift and banding. With IPS, black level issues are not tooo bad. And usually they only affect the brightness of black/white colors on paper. But luckily the rest of the colors are pretty accurate. I've grown accustomed to the black level issue with IPS, so by default I have my tints a bit darker on screen.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2397 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 07:36:52 »
oh man.. compromises everywhere

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2398 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 07:39:39 »
oh man.. compromises everywhere

Yeah. Like I said.. I wish we had CRT-technology but then as compact as LCDs. Still after ~15 years of mainstream LCDs they are still nowhere near as good as CRTs were.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2399 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 09:46:08 »

I've seen better but I bought it solely for csgo and it's performed well.