Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268594 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2450 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:58:37 »
ABS >= PBT

*ducks*

A lot of us agree with this. I mean GMK and SP SA caps are some of the most popular ones out there.  :thumb:

I was going to say this, I prefer it because of how flexible it is keyset wise.

I generally think they feel and look better than PBT.

But..but... the shine!

The shine on OG ABS double shots are like aging for a good wine, it just makes them far better.

This is one thing I'll never understand. Shine on ABS makes it feel like absolute dog****.

Easy. Any too old wine tastes like piss too.

Amen.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline zinkpro45

« Reply #2451 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:03:10 »
Minimalism isn't always done very well... for example, the HHKB Pro 2 has empty bottom corners. Many claim it's "minimalist" because of this but waste (space) goes against the fundamental principles of minimalism.

Completely agree with you. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it had keys in the corners. Just seems so unnecessary to have nothing there.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2452 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 01:00:30 »
Minimalism isn't always done very well... for example, the HHKB Pro 2 has empty bottom corners. Many claim it's "minimalist" because of this but waste (space) goes against the fundamental principles of minimalism.

Completely agree with you. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it had keys in the corners. Just seems so unnecessary to have nothing there.
But did you usually use that side of the keys? Cause its kind of pointless using more keys in the bottom row when its all perfect on hhkb.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2453 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 01:34:19 »
iso is meme layout

why does mx blue exist

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2454 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:30:21 »

But.. but.. it gives that KB style and character!

Where to draw the line though? A TKL has no key left to up and right to up. And no keys between the arrow cluster and the insert/down cluster.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2455 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 07:11:05 »
iso is meme layout

why does mx blue exist
Yes to the first.

MX Blues were created to annoy friends, co-workers, and loved ones. They were designed to destroy relationships, and maybe even lives.

Offline jamster

« Reply #2456 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 07:50:56 »
MX Blues were created to annoy friends, co-workers, and loved ones. They were designed to destroy relationships, and maybe even lives.

And all the while cheat the owner of the glorious feel of buckling spring. Truly, blues are switches with no redeem feature.

:)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2457 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:51:28 »
iso is meme layout

why does mx blue exist
Yes to the first.

Then what were Greens created for, to destroy the few remaining relationships that could stand listening to Blues?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2458 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:52:28 »
iso is meme layout

why does mx blue exist
Yes to the first.

Then what were Greens created for, to destroy the few remaining relationships that could stand listening to Blues?

Pretty much. And for strong people. I've tried greens. I cried, then I sold the board.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2459 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:55:06 »

But did you usually use that side of the keys? Cause its kind of pointless using more keys in the bottom row when its all perfect on hhkb.

It isn't perfect, though. There's all sorts of things they could have used those spaces for. Here's some ideas off the top of my head (while I type on the HHKB):

Function key on the left side so I can use the left-side F-keys with one hand. Dedicated caps lock so you can choose whether you want Control/Caps switched (like the 87U and KUL ES-87).

A second function layer on the right -> the purpose of this would be to put the home/end/PgUp/PgDn keys onto the arrow keys as another layer. The current home/end/PgUp/PgDn keys aren't in a great spot. Actually It'd be nice to use the right-side diamond key for this since your thumb naturally falls there while your pinky is on the current function key, while your index and middle fingers lay naturally on the four current arrow keys.

While we're at it, put PrintScreen under the ']' key (currently unused and PrintScreen is pretty far) and allow Delete to be the primary while tilde a secondary.

Anyways, my point is that the layout is far from perfect and having these spaces simply go unused kind of makes it less appealing to some people. It wouldn't hurt to give a little more option in how the board is set up so that it works for more people.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2460 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:11:45 »
iso is meme layout

why does mx blue exist
Yes to the first.

Pretty much. And for strong people. I've tried greens. I cried, then I sold the board.

TIL I'm swole as ****
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline regack

« Reply #2461 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:30:19 »
Anyways, my point is that the layout is far from perfect and having these spaces simply go unused kind of makes it less appealing to some people. It wouldn't hurt to give a little more option in how the board is set up so that it works for more people.

Honestly the layout is a big turn off.  The unused spaces seem inefficient.  Yes, I typed on a Model M for years, but that was before I discovered there was this this whole world of keyboard enthusiasts.  My eyes were opened to completely custom creations, and now that I've gone down that road, I can't really turn back.  If it was going to bother trying out a HHKB, it would be simply to try Topre.  In the end, I'd just be annoyed that I would have to replace the controller with Hasu's programmable one, and then even after I programmed it to my liking, it would bother me to have those empty blank areas that I could have put to use. 

I am safely in Unpopular Keyboard Opinions, right?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2462 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:34:22 »

Honestly the layout is a big turn off.  The unused spaces seem inefficient.  Yes, I typed on a Model M for years, but that was before I discovered there was this this whole world of keyboard enthusiasts.  My eyes were opened to completely custom creations, and now that I've gone down that road, I can't really turn back.  If it was going to bother trying out a HHKB, it would be simply to try Topre.  In the end, I'd just be annoyed that I would have to replace the controller with Hasu's programmable one, and then even after I programmed it to my liking, it would bother me to have those empty blank areas that I could have put to use. 

Yes, until the Topre Squad sees this.  Then u ded

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2463 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:43:58 »

Yes, until the Topre Squad sees this.  Then u ded
Where's the Realforce love?! For the love of all that is holy?!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2464 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:02:57 »

Sure you are.

You know what else seems inefficient? Model M. Ctrl keys buried in hard-to-reach corners, Backspace in another corner, and over 40 distant keys on top of it.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2465 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:47:53 »

Sure you are.

You know what else seems inefficient? Model M. Ctrl keys buried in hard-to-reach corners, Backspace in another corner, and over 40 distant keys on top of it.

Sure, but you can press any key with one hand.

I still prefer the Ctrl key in the lower left because I'm often using Ctrl+ZXCVAS. My pinky is already much shorter than my other fingers... So it's awkward to have it on a row further away while curling my other fingers.

Ideally it would be where the Shift key is but that's taken.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2466 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:57:29 »
I do agree with Altis - in the present day, the unused space on the HHKB could garner 2 additional keys on either side of the spacebar. I too do not enjoy the idea of a Hasu controller to make the HHKB Pro 2 more functional - to me, that speaks to it's shortcomings.

Of course, it sells well enough as is, and the HHKB Pro JP is a very suitable replacement for many common complaints, so PFU has no real reason to change the HHKB Pro 2.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2467 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:05:40 »

I still prefer the Ctrl key in the lower left because I'm often using Ctrl+ZXCVAS. My pinky is already much shorter than my other fingers... So it's awkward to have it on a row further away while curling my other fingers.

Assuming, that you have the pinkie in the corner in the first place, or move it all the way down there. It depends how you type in the first place (or if you even type and don't only use those chords outside typing).

Those shortcuts were originally designed for Mac OS and involved the Command key. Arguably, that was better than Ctrl in the corner. Both Model M and HHKB have too large spacebars. >_<

I'm not too happy with the HHKB layout either. C-Z or C-X C-S are awkward. Ctrl in the corner isn't a solution though. It'd be much better, if there was another Ctrl key in place of Enter (with Enter shifted one row higher)… but in the end, the large spacebar strikes again. >_<

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2468 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:11:36 »
The HHKB layout was taken directly from Old Sun UNIX keyboards, the empty spaces were only a way to shorten the space bar. I do not like it in general, because I think the standard ANSI is just the right one for me, but the empty spaces make the one unit keys very usable; besides, in the world of a Sun Unix Sixty Percent Keyboard those keys were not needed at all.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2469 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:30:53 »

Assuming, that you have the pinkie in the corner in the first place, or move it all the way down there. It depends how you type in the first place (or if you even type and don't only use those chords outside typing).

Those shortcuts were originally designed for Mac OS and involved the Command key. Arguably, that was better than Ctrl in the corner. Both Model M and HHKB have too large spacebars. >_<

I'm not too happy with the HHKB layout either. C-Z or C-X C-S are awkward. Ctrl in the corner isn't a solution though. It'd be much better, if there was another Ctrl key in place of Enter (with Enter shifted one row higher)… but in the end, the large spacebar strikes again. >_<

It might not be the ideal solution but having a caps lock in the bottom corner that could be swapped for Control would certainly help out some people who prefer it that way and you lose nothing by doing it (except aesthetics).

It would be interesting to have it on the right side of the keyboard, although I'm not sure what it would be like since I've always done Control+ sequences with a single hand.

What do you think of embedding the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn navigation under the same keys as the arrows? The current right diamond key would enable that layer. My own hand falls perfectly with my thumb on right diamond, pinky on Function, and index/middle fingers on the current arrow cluster. It would give all your navigation very quickly and with extremely little hand movement.

The HHKB layout was taken directly from Old Sun UNIX keyboards, the empty spaces were only a way to shorten the space bar. I do not like it in general, because I think the standard ANSI is just the right one for me, but the empty spaces make the one unit keys very usable; besides, in the world of a Sun Unix Sixty Percent Keyboard those keys were not needed at all.

Show Image

That is interesting indeed. It looks very similar. I certainly wouldn't want such a massive spacebar!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2470 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:50:44 »
It might not be the ideal solution but having a caps lock in the bottom corner that could be swapped for Control would certainly help out some people who prefer it that way and you lose nothing by doing it (except aesthetics).
Caps Lock Must Die

What do you think of embedding the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn navigation under the same keys as the arrows? The current right diamond key would enable that layer. My own hand falls perfectly with my thumb on right diamond, pinky on Function, and index/middle fingers on the current arrow cluster. It would give all your navigation very quickly and with extremely little hand movement.
I find the Fn layer on HHKB ridiculous by itself, arrows included. Actually, especially the arrows, because it's the only part I ever use, other than a rare F11/F12. But if your fingers fit there (mine don't), I guess it's alright.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2471 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:32:32 »
Ill be back when you guys move onto the cherry bashing. Right now i need to go to my safe space. Lol jks i dont have a safe space,  HHKB ftw.

That is all

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2472 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 06:41:56 »
Topre is great, but you buy £50 worth of keyboard and £100 worth of post-purchase rationalisation.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2473 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:51:56 »
 SA profile is horrible and meme

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2474 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:57:08 »

SA sucks, the overuse of the word meme sucks equally as much.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2475 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:03:06 »

But I just got into the meme trend  :'(
To be honest I don't even know what it means. In the context of my message I believe it means "a joke"?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2476 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:04:48 »

To be honest I don't even know what it means. In the context of my message I believe it means "a joke"?

Google if your friend.

"Meme -
 - an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
 - a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users."
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2477 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:10:30 »

Google if your friend.

"Meme -
 - an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
 - a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users."

AKA pretty much anything that is online, according to most people I know.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2478 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:25:47 »
SA preference is not the only thing that has happen to grow at GH by imitation or group thinking and by group thinking only; that is a very common behavior here, examples? certain artisan key caps, sets made with bright colors mixed in strident combinations, certain profiles, certain boards, or even full sets that have been in the "preference" of this community, from time to time, have happen by group thinking only; the reasoning?, it is very simple: If many like it, I should do it as well. Put a sock on your meme son!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #2479 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 00:11:03 »
meme = joke the same way that someone says something you don't agree with = trolling

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #2480 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 15:05:19 »
Most custom keys look kinda stupid on a keyboard. They can look cool on its own, but in use just looks weird.

I don't like 60%. I frequently use too many of the keys that they chop out. I use the arrow keys and function keys ALL THE TIME.

Linear switches feel weird.

Fancy color schemes are too garish for my tastes. I prefer basics. Beige, basic black, etc.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2481 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 15:16:13 »
meme = joke the same way that someone says something you don't agree with = trolling

Post of the day.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2482 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:18:15 »
geekhack more like geekwhack

I don't remember what that is from though but my favorite quote :-*

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2483 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:30:41 »

geekwhack is from Ripster.

gg

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2484 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:36:16 »

you're gonna be popular around here

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2485 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:37:41 »

gg

ripster what I cutie pie

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2486 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:38:28 »

gg

ripster what I cutie pie

I think this is one of the most unpopular opinions here.  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2487 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:39:12 »
These are supposed to be keyboard opinions...

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2488 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:40:16 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2489 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:42:43 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

TOY STORY 3 BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2490 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:43:50 »

Speaking of that, I ****ing hate my poker at the minute, switches are too hard and ping like a ****er, low quality (at least mine is) build and the ****ing form factor is annoying as hell.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2491 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:43:56 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

When Andy drove away.. Man, that was too much.  :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2492 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:51:21 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

I like Gina as a friend, but I'm not sure about taking things further.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2493 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:53:37 »

Speaking of that, I ****ing hate my poker at the minute, switches are too hard and ping like a ****er, low quality (at least mine is) build and the ****ing form factor is annoying as hell.

Could the ping be from the case? Try using it on a desk mat.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2494 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:55:46 »

Muffles it but I use it for college too so carry around a desk mat isn't so practical  :))

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2495 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:59:21 »

Muffles it but I use it for college too so carry around a desk mat isn't so practical  :))

You could buy another desk mat, cut it up, and glue it to the bottom of your case. Portable desk mat.  :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2496 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 20:02:20 »
Topre is great, but you buy £50 worth of keyboard and £100 worth of post-purchase rationalisation.

Consumer's remorse.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2497 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:21:16 »

Consumer's remorse.

Totally agree that they're overpriced, but seeing how many people ditch their collection afterwards and get 3, it's hardly remorse. This applies to all Topre.

We make them out to be so expensive but they aren't much more than a Cherry MX board with some decent key caps.

It seems that all the keyboards around here are expensive, as are the mods. It's the Korean customs that are really the ones up there.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2498 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:34:57 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

Damnit, use spoiler tags.
Bastards.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2499 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:59:26 »

TOY STORY 2 WAS OKAY

Damnit, use spoiler tags.
Bastards.

Romeo and Juliet both die, Leonardo DiCaprio was in a dream the entire time, Vader is Luke's father, Cameron ruins his father's Ferrari, Nemo is reunited with his dad.

Oh wait I forgot the spoiler tags, whoops.