Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268595 times)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2650 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 17:27:50 »
Talking **** about Filco is more or less a popular keyboard opinion.... now 6 years ago maybe...
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2651 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 17:45:50 »
Really? On certain "other" Keyboard forums/places it seems they are still constantly praised.  Good to know i'm not alone, for Cherry based boards i have always been a huge KUL fan personally.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #2652 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:19:15 »
QWERTY is bad and should feel bad

the best layout would be a mix between iso and ansi (long left shift, big enter)

split spacebar should be more common (I don't own one but would love to have a 60% with one so I could use one as FN)

Caps-lock and backspace should be switched and back space made 1 u adding another key there you can use.

repeating the most popular unpopular opinion. Backligtning in  general sucks, you shouldn't sit in the dark. Get a lamp.

Cherry MX greens and clears are the best MX switches.

A separate numpad is better than an integrated one.
TP4 fanboy

Offline G33K

• Dumpster Lasagna Aficionado
« Reply #2653 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:19:12 »

the best layout would be a mix between iso and ansi (long left shift, big enter)

split spacebar should be more common (I don't own one but would love to have a 60% with one so I could use one as FN)

Caps-lock and backspace should be switched and back space made 1 u adding another key there you can use.

repeating the most popular unpopular opinion. Backligtning in  general sucks, you shouldn't sit in the dark. Get a lamp.

For the average user, there isn't any speed difference.  Unfortunately, I have to work with QWERTY when I'm not at home and on users' computers, so a switch isn't really possible for me unless I want to stumble at less than 30 wpm everywhere for a while.  It's kind of like trying to get the US to switch to metric.

I haven't used a split spacebar, but it sounds nice

Switching caps lock and backspace would be great!  I might actually make a macro to do that on my keyboard. 

I'll continue sitting in the dark like a basement dweller and you can't stop me! :p  Who needs good eyesight anyway?

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #2654 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:30:28 »
Really? On certain "other" Keyboard forums/places it seems they are still constantly praised.  Good to know i'm not alone, for Cherry based boards i have always been a huge KUL fan personally.

I'm with you on this one. CM and Filco boards come from the same factory and most people can agree on that they are almost identical. CM even has detachable cable and LED versions (crap LEDs though but still better then nothing) but most importantly CM boards are A LOT cheaper.
| ISO |

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2655 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:46:38 »
Signing up to win artisans for trade fodder should be publicly shamed.

This is probably a newbie standpoint but I don't understand why people put up with ctrlalt's group buys.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #2656 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:57:40 »

This is probably a newbie standpoint but I don't understand why people put up with ctrlalt's group buys.

What do you mean by 'putting up with' group buys?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2657 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:59:54 »
Just because CM and Filco boards are from the same factory does not mean they are the same quality.  The Filco boards are nicer.  Personally, I don't get the Kul circlejerk that was going in for a while. 

How do you prove someone is signing up for trade fodder?  I've had caps I win and almost immediately put up for trade because they didn't go like I thought they would or I wasn't a fan of the color in person.  Also, sometimes the only way to get a cap you want is to win a cap you don't want.  It creates an unfortunate situation, but that's the way things are.  Entering to flip caps for profit, on the other hand, deserves to be shamed.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2658 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:11:46 »
You can't really tell but there's a lot of people buying/raffling for artisans they don't necessary like just so they have trade power for something they actually like.
I used to do it in bro raffles.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2659 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:22:02 »

There just seems to be a lot of inefficiency, (sometimes massive) delays, I feel like I've seen a lot of updates consisting of "update soon" or lip service saying these things aren't okay without ever improving. A lot of stuff that would definitely frustrate me if I were a part of the buy. This is my perception, which could easily just be confirmation bias, you know? I'm not trying to disrespect or anything. 

What I'm saying is, I don't get why people join one of their buys when there are people who haven't gotten a product from an almost two year old order. What is there to say it wouldn't happen again? Is the payoff just that worth it? I've never been ordered from them, so I don't know, that's why I said it's probably just a newbie standpoint.

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #2660 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:31:25 »
Just because CM and Filco boards are from the same factory does not mean they are the same quality.  The Filco boards are nicer.  Personally, I don't get the Kul circlejerk that was going in for a while. 

I never said that they are the same, but they come from the same OEM/factory. :rolleyes: Most people that have compared the two brands have said that they are almost identical.
Filco is more robust but for the big price difference I see no reason to go for one. CM's are also more available everywhere so you'll probably won't have to pay for shipping as well.
| ISO |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2661 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:35:39 »
More

There just seems to be a lot of inefficiency, (sometimes massive) delays, I feel like I've seen a lot of updates consisting of "update soon" or lip service saying these things aren't okay without ever improving. A lot of stuff that would definitely frustrate me if I were a part of the buy. This is my perception, which could easily just be confirmation bias, you know? I'm not trying to disrespect or anything. 

What I'm saying is, I don't get why people join one of their buys when there are people who haven't gotten a product from an almost two year old order. What is there to say it wouldn't happen again? Is the payoff just that worth it? I've never been ordered from them, so I don't know, that's why I said it's probably just a newbie standpoint.

I definitely can understand that perspective abd, unfortunately, people often get shouted down when they voice honest questions or opinions like that. 

I do wish that all the current buys would finish before they launched into new ones.  I know that if I was one of the people waiting on something from a buy done two years ago that I'd be livid seeing all these other buys launched and being fulfilled while I'm still waiting on mine to ship.  Whether or not that is a justified position is up to others to decide, but I know that's how I would feel.

More

I never said that they are the same, but they come from the same OEM/factory. :rolleyes: Most people that have compared the two brands have said that they are almost identical.
Filco is more robust but for the big price difference I see no reason to go for one. CM's are also more available everywhere so you'll probably won't have to pay for shipping as well.

You said they are almost identical and only mentioned the LEDs and cables as being different.  You're all but saying the quality is the same.  I was saying that two things made in the same factory can have radically different qualities.  For example,  the Filco had a better solder job than the CM.  Filco also has a better quality PCB than the CM board.

Yes, there has been some price inflation, but the Filco is still a higher quality board.  That was the point I was making.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:55:30 by nubbinator »

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2662 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:54:33 »

How do you prove someone is signing up for trade fodder?  I've had caps I win and almost immediately put up for trade because they didn't go like I thought they would or I wasn't a fan of the color in person.  Also, sometimes the only way to get a cap you want is to win a cap you don't want.  It creates an unfortunate situation, but that's the way things are.  Entering to flip caps for profit, on the other hand, deserves to be shamed.

That's the rub. It's a pain to prove, cases like yours are pretty understandable in my book, but I wonder how many times that's the case? And yeah, I get the economics that it's a necessity of sorts, it's just frustrating to see a cap someone actually wants go to someone who is just using it as leverage.

Also, I figured shaming for-profit flippers wasn't exactly an unpopular opinion.  :))

Offline Fiery

« Reply #2663 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:59:44 »

For the average user, there isn't any speed difference.  Unfortunately, I have to work with QWERTY when I'm not at home and on users' computers, so a switch isn't really possible for me unless I want to stumble at less than 30 wpm everywhere for a while.  It's kind of like trying to get the US to switch to metric.

Switching caps lock and backspace would be great!  I might actually make a macro to do that on my keyboard. 

I'll continue sitting in the dark like a basement dweller and you can't stop me! :p  Who needs good eyesight anyway?

Well the US really should switch to metric in my opinion, same with the UK. But I can't change that, just like I can't get QWERTY to go away and make my only problem with Dvorak go away (that people use QWERTY lol).

I haven't used a split spacebar but I am 99% sure I could adapt to  using the other half with my right thumb as I currently only use my left thumb for space. Which on a 60% would be bound to FN for me.

The eyesight part is one of the reasons you shouldn't sit in the dark lol.
TP4 fanboy

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2664 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:25:45 »

Well the US really should switch to metric in my opinion, same with the UK. But I can't change that, just like I can't get QWERTY to go away and make my only problem with Dvorak go away (that people use QWERTY lol).

I haven't used a split spacebar but I am 99% sure I could adapt to  using the other half with my right thumb as I currently only use my left thumb for space. Which on a 60% would be bound to FN for me.

One set of tools?
Fine measurements in an instant?
Metric please!  :eek:

Offline Fiery

« Reply #2665 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:29:28 »

One set of tools?

So you agree? at work it's so annoying when you get one part which for some reason is using UNF instead of metric threading  :mad:
TP4 fanboy

Offline G33K

• Dumpster Lasagna Aficionado
« Reply #2666 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:32:07 »

I agree, metric actually makes sense, but least we don't use stone as a measurement.  1 stone = 14 pounds = 6.35029 Kg... what... :-\ 
Kids aren't learning metric in school, so when they're teaching age, they aren't teaching metric. 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2667 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:56:48 »

I agree, metric actually makes sense, but least we don't use stone as a measurement.  1 stone = 14 pounds = 6.35029 Kg... what... :-\ 
Kids aren't learning metric in school, so when they're teaching age, they aren't teaching metric.
I guess the education system has changed. If I remember correctly, my teacher taught the imperial, and metric system. One system right after the other.

One set of tools?

So you agree? at work it's so annoying when you get one part which for some reason is using UNF instead of metric threading  :mad:
Yeah, I do agree. UNF? Hmmm, I never thought to ask myself the difference in threading measurement nice  :)

Offline Fiery

« Reply #2668 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:59:14 »

Yup and that's sadly how the world is, and also why QWERTY is still the most used layout :P
TP4 fanboy

Offline nephiel

« Reply #2669 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:07:42 »
This is exactly how I set up mine, and it took nothing to get used to. It just feels natural.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2670 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 16:45:18 »
This is exactly how I set up mine, and it took nothing to get used to. It just feels natural.

The space FN concept work as that with no need for an splitted bar.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2671 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 17:03:29 »

So basically you want JIS, which is IMO very bad, with Colemak Backspace.  How can you say such heresy while having in your avatar the second best girl from her based show with no bad characters in the first place is beyond me.

Back to Unpopular Keyboard Opinions, it always bugs me a little when someone calls Topre "the most expensive rubber dome". Not because I like it(I never tried it so I don't have an opinion), but because that title belongs to the 370$ Mad Catz STRIKE 5(or some really rare vintage board I have no clue about). By the way, has anyone tried it? Is it as bad as I expect it to be?
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline steelcity

« Reply #2672 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 10:39:11 »
any fullsize board with two windows keys and no context menu key should be brought out back and shot.

backlighting sucks

fullsize > tkl/60

front-print > top-print

windowed capslock/scrlk/numlk > non-windowed

tactile > clicky

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2673 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 10:43:29 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2674 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 15:48:17 »
fullsize > tkl/60
Get outta here
But it's actually correct. Full-size is larger than tenkeyless/60% by definition.

It's still an abomination though.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2675 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 16:01:38 »
fullsize > tkl/60
Get outta here
But it's actually correct. Full-size is larger than tenkeyless/60% by definition.

It's still an abomination though.

It's not about the size, it's about how you use it  :))

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2677 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 18:02:31 »
I'd have to agree i see little use of a full size in todays world for any reason what so ever.  Don't get me wrong i understand some jobs REQUIRE a numpad...but seperate numpads are far more ergonomic when you aren't using them and you need to use your mousing area at the same time, and save desk space when you don't need said numpad...or can put it on the left side etc...

Fullsize boards at this point just feel like they belong in a museum exhibit, the only one that may get a pass IMO is the model M just because it's so epic and SSK'S are still so expensive.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2678 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:28:58 »
My Model M isn't as loud as everyone makes it out to be.

I could at least see using it in a busy office setting.

It's still the best sounding clicky switch though, it's only major competition is Blue ALPS.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2679 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:40:41 »

It's still the best sounding clicky switch though, it's only major competition is Blue ALPS.

Model M = Best clicky switch ever IMO

I still prefer Topre Overall but if in an isolated room with nobody around i'd likely switch between Topre and a Model M hourly.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2680 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:59:12 »
+1 in support of full size. Well...+0.5, let's say. I think it does depend on the user a lot.

There are definitely some real advantages to an attached number pad if you use it. Unlike a separate number pad, an attached number pad stays in exact alignment with your other keys when you reposition your keyboard, which some people do every time they shift position in their chair. There's also less wasted space when the number pad and keyboard are integrated, fewer wires, and fewer ports used. So, if you are a serious number pad user, a full size layout can still make sense.

For me, personally, before I got into mechanical keyboards, I spent many years using laptops without number pads. Basically I came into the game already having plenty of experience with not having a number pad, and knew that if I could possibly get the number pad back, that I wanted it. So I really don't have much interest in things that are smaller than full size. I don't even enter long lists of number that often (though I do have to do so occasionally), but between that, playing older games that benefit from or even require the number pad, and various general keyboarding habits that make use of the number pad for all sorts of random little purposes, I find that I really miss it when it's not there.

Of course, if you don't use it, then you might as well free up the extra space, especially if you are so unfortunate as to be using a mouse rather than a trackball as your primary pointing device. Hence +0.5 for the full-size: if your workflow and/or your habits call for the number pad, then a full-size keyboard is a good option. If they don't, then don't bother.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2681 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 20:39:26 »
+1 in support of full size. Well...+0.5, let's say. I think it does depend on the user a lot.

There are definitely some real advantages to an attached number pad if you use it. Unlike a separate number pad, an attached number pad stays in exact alignment with your other keys when you reposition your keyboard, which some people do every time they shift position in their chair. There's also less wasted space when the number pad and keyboard are integrated, fewer wires, and fewer ports used. So, if you are a serious number pad user, a full size layout can still make sense.

For me, personally, before I got into mechanical keyboards, I spent many years using laptops without number pads. Basically I came into the game already having plenty of experience with not having a number pad, and knew that if I could possibly get the number pad back, that I wanted it. So I really don't have much interest in things that are smaller than full size. I don't even enter long lists of number that often (though I do have to do so occasionally), but between that, playing older games that benefit from or even require the number pad, and various general keyboarding habits that make use of the number pad for all sorts of random little purposes, I find that I really miss it when it's not there.

Of course, if you don't use it, then you might as well free up the extra space, especially if you are so unfortunate as to be using a mouse rather than a trackball as your primary pointing device. Hence +0.5 for the full-size: if your workflow and/or your habits call for the number pad, then a full-size keyboard is a good option. If they don't, then don't bother.

I didn't want to go from full-size to 60% at home but have pretty much converted, although I wouldn't be against a TKL or other slightly larger sized board.  At work though, since I work at a tax and accounting firm, I have to have a numpad of some kind and I've gotten used to the numpad being attached for many of the reasons you mentioned.  I wouldn't be against splitting them, but that's just another USB port that would be taken up when I can just as well just a full-size keyboard.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2682 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 20:55:14 »

Model M = Best clicky switch ever IMO

I still prefer Topre Overall but if in an isolated room with nobody around i'd likely switch between Topre and a Model M hourly.

I agree, buckling springs are the best clicky switch, unless someone really doesn't like the weight. My worn in MX Blues are still somewhat smoother though.

I have heard the Buckling Springs on the Model F are better. Namely they are lighter and smoother, not to mention they are capacitive so you get NRKO.

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 March 2016, 15:49:14 by klennkellon »

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2683 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:32:09 »
All Cherry switches are crap

No one should pay more for an alternative to fullsize

artisans should not be taken seriously and should be worth 3$ a key

critique inc  :rolleyes:

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #2684 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:34:45 »
Topre isn't a mechanical keyboard switch and has no business on this forum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:53:53 by Flood »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2685 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:39:42 »
All Cherry switches are crap

No one should pay more for an alternative to fullsize

artisans should not be taken seriously and should be worth 3$ a key

critique inc  :rolleyes:

I have to agree, but I would pay $5 to replace the caps lock key on my Model M with a picture of Billy Mays face.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2686 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:56:36 »
Maybe if Billy Mays was double shot into the cap  :p

Offline steelcity

« Reply #2687 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 00:31:31 »
Best value for the $ - Leopold FC900 ($119 at MK)

solid board, full size, cherry mx, AWESOME navy pbt caps with windowed locks, has the context menu key instead of two lame windows switches...all for the less than the price of some pbt keycap sets!

I have 4 of them and I have 330 each of the 65G and 67G zealio switches coming.  I'm going to build one board with each to decide which switch i like best, then build out the other 2 with that weight.  then i will (hopefully) have 3 end game boards for my 3 computers!

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #2688 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 01:13:25 »
Savageeeeee. But yes that is the truth

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2689 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 01:29:19 »
MX blues and most Cherry switches are incredibly wimpy sounding against almost any other type.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2690 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 01:32:03 »
A shame there aren't more alps caps.  The keycap options I have are very boring compared to Cherry mx.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2691 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 14:25:27 »
A shame there aren't more alps caps.  The keycap options I have are very boring compared to Cherry mx.

I agree in a way, but in another it's kinda cool. Like Topre, it makes the caps you do get very special.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2692 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 17:18:31 »
how is it possible to be productive with a 40%

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #2693 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 17:22:19 »

I agree in a way, but in another it's kinda cool. Like Topre, it makes the caps you do get very special.

Yeah in a way it "lowers" the standards, as even a basic high quality ANSI set can be tough to track down

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2694 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 17:24:10 »
how is it possible to be productive with a 40%
It just is

Once you use one for a bit, you can get pretty efficient with them. Especially when you tweak your layout to suit your needs best

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2695 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 06:48:17 »
DIY does not mean good quality. I've seen posts where some DIYer will always toss in the "can't be sure about the quality of xxx board, if you want quality you need to DIY". For a hobby that relies on so many prefabricated parts, DIY quality is pretty much non-existent. It comes down to the quality of the parts they buy, and they're not going to get economies of scale, so an equivalently priced manufactured board will be better quality.

Here's some DIY quality for ya  :))

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2696 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 07:55:36 »
DIY does not mean good quality. I've seen posts where some DIYer will always toss in the "can't be sure about the quality of xxx board, if you want quality you need to DIY". For a hobby that relies on so many prefabricated parts, DIY quality is pretty much non-existent. It comes down to the quality of the parts they buy, and they're not going to get economies of scale, so an equivalently priced manufactured board will be better quality.

Here's some DIY quality for ya  :))

Depends a lot on the person that is responsible for the DIY, as someone working on their 1st keyboard is obviously going to put out inferior work if compared to someone working on their 20th keyboard.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2697 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 09:56:41 »
DIY does not mean good quality.

Agree with this.

I would never pay more than $5 for a keyboard with the quality of something I built, lol. You think the PCBs in super cheap Chinese keyboards are grim? You should see what happens when I pick up a soldering iron...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #2698 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 11:52:29 »
DIY does not mean good quality.

Agree with this.

I would never pay more than $5 for a keyboard with the quality of something I built, lol. You think the PCBs in super cheap Chinese keyboards are grim? You should see what happens when I pick up a soldering iron...
Same here. I also don't see the point of this hobby when you aren't making boards yourself though. My boards may be crap, but they are still mine!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2699 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 11:58:12 »
buddy this forum is for "keyboard enthusiasts"