Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268579 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2700 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 12:21:22 »
Topre isn't a mechanical keyboard switch and has no business on this forum.
buddy this forum is for "keyboard enthusiasts"

Indeed, and whether it's considered mechanical or not since the definition doesn't seem to be iron clad.  It still feels better IMO (unless you prefer linear of course) than any Matias,Cherry,Alps switch i have tried and i would say almost on par with my like of buckling springs (Which i'd use more often if my wife didn't loathe the noise).
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2701 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 10:56:24 »
Expensive != quality.
This one is fairly obvious, but recently I got tag-teamed by some keyboard elitist in a forum, so on top of that I'll add that references to Eiiti Wada(creator of HHKB) do not constitute sufficient evidence to support purchasing an expensive keyboard (Especially since HHKB is not useful for gaming nor productivity).

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2702 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 10:59:03 »
Expensive != quality.
This one is fairly obvious, but recently I got tag-teamed by some keyboard elitist in a forum, so on top of that I'll add that references to Eiiti Wada(creator of HHKB) do not constitute sufficient evidence to support purchasing an expensive keyboard (Especially since HHKB is not useful for gaming nor productivity).

I agree with the first line, but I don't think the HHKB is not useful for gaming or productivity. The former definitely varies from person to person, but the latter, well, how does any keyboard affect your productivity?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2703 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:12:23 »
Expensive != quality.

The HHKB was actually just a fork of Sun keyboards of the date. The only part of the board that was actually designed was its second layer, that it is not the best around.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2704 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:31:18 »
well, how does any keyboard affect your productivity?

Well, some of them allow me to continue being productive, while others cause pain in my wrists. Certainly does not apply to everybody, but changing keyboards did allow me to continue being productive, and even improve a little. From my next change, I expect similar results.

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2705 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:49:23 »
how does any keyboard affect your productivity?

Most don't, but most keyboards have access to all modifier keys as an actual key. As an SAP developer, I would have to be a finger contortionist to use an HHKB (which immediately eliminates the ergonomic argument). There are a lot of modifier+modifier+fkey combinations.

So an HHKB would over time both cause physiological damage as well as loss in productivity, at a very high monetary cost.

So of course this is an unpopular opinion. To me it looks like Rube Goldberg machine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:57:49 by dtaflorida »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2706 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 14:56:03 »
Topre switches are mechanical. Take away the switch, and you'll have a non-mechanical keyboard.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2707 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 15:00:03 »
Topre switches belong on this forum, even Rubber Domes have a home here.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2708 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 15:33:09 »
well, how does any keyboard affect your productivity?
while others cause pain in my wrists.

Man some people are delicate

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2709 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 18:02:04 »
Expensive != quality.

I agree with the first line, but I don't think the HHKB is not useful for gaming or productivity. The former definitely varies from person to person, but the latter, well, how does any keyboard affect your productivity?

i'll admit i have my quirks with the hhkb layout but i have not had any issues while gaming to be honest personally.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2710 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 18:09:21 »

Most don't, but most keyboards have access to all modifier keys as an actual key. As an SAP developer, I would have to be a finger contortionist to use an HHKB (which immediately eliminates the ergonomic argument). There are a lot of modifier+modifier+fkey combinations.

So an HHKB would over time both cause physiological damage as well as loss in productivity, at a very high monetary cost.

So of course this is an unpopular opinion. To me it looks like Rube Goldberg machine.

I found an HHKB Lite at Goodwill once (the non-Topre version). I took it off the shelf, looked at it for a few seconds, then concluded that it was dumb and put it back on the shelf. So you're not entirely alone...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2711 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 00:53:16 »

I found an HHKB Lite at Goodwill once (the non-Topre version). I took it off the shelf, looked at it for a few seconds, then concluded that it was dumb and put it back on the shelf. So you're not entirely alone...
Did you sniff the keyboard? I would have sniffed the keyboard before making a decision.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2712 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:20:32 »
Turns out white alps pine are better than blue alps.  No joke, my Acer 6011 has these switches.

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2713 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 01:26:59 »
Did you sniff the keyboard? I would have sniffed the keyboard before making a decision.

And if you get high off it then it's a keeper! I know I'd have to be high on something to have bought one.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2714 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 01:40:57 »

And if you get high off it then it's a keeper! I know I'd have to be high on something to have bought one.
I sniff everything I buy from thrift shops. If I bring home something that smells like smoke--RIP my sinuses.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2715 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 03:40:26 »
Turns out white alps pine are better than blue alps.  No joke, my Acer 6011 has these switches.

Is it possible the blue alps you tried were in nasty condition compared to the whites?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2716 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 06:16:45 »

Is it possible the blue alps you tried were in nasty condition compared to the whites?
I think he just likes a heavier switches and more tactile switches

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2717 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:02:37 »
Probably gonna get hate for saying this, but I think Topre is not durable at all. I've replaced two HHKB's because the rubber "dried out" / "became hard" within 2 years of use, being main drivers.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2718 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:59:41 »
Probably gonna get hate for saying this, but I think Topre is not durable at all. I've replaced two HHKB's because the rubber "dried out" / "became hard" within 2 years of use, being main drivers.
But I though that u guys like heavier switches  :confused:

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2719 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 09:01:39 »

Environmental factors and usage patterns can play a significant role in this. The domes are rubber, after all.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2720 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 09:32:14 »

This does not come as a surprise, rubber is rubber, no matter how hyped it was.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2721 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 10:09:41 »

Environmental factors and usage patterns can play a significant role in this. The domes are rubber, after all.

Yeah, other than for the looks, I don't think these keyboards are actually useful in 10-15 years from know.

I guess Cherry (and the Zealios etc.) are more durable over time. Except for corrosion perhaps, but I have not seen that happen so far.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2722 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 11:14:07 »
We don't know if Gaterons are more reliable than genuine Cherry MX - and since they produce the Zealios, they will fall under that general statement.

The general impression given is they are unable to adhere to the same strict tolerances in their manufacturing process - this makes sense, as ultimately the Gateron specific switches are an attempt to provide a cheaper product alternative. It does seem that their community engagement and willingness to make tweaked products (Zealios!) sets them above their peers (Kailh, Greetech, etc).
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 11:15:40 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2723 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 11:36:02 »
We don't know if Gaterons are more reliable than genuine Cherry MX - and since they produce the Zealios, they will fall under that general statement.

The general impression given is they are unable to adhere to the same strict tolerances in their manufacturing process - this makes sense, as ultimately the Gateron specific switches are an attempt to provide a cheaper product alternative. It does seem that their community engagement and willingness to make tweaked products (Zealios!) sets them above their peers (Kailh, Greetech, etc).

An assumption behind your argument, that is not necessarily true, is that lower cost equals lower quality, which in contemporary manufacturing systems is just not true.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2724 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 11:50:06 »

An assumption behind your argument, that is not necessarily true, is that lower cost equals lower quality, which in contemporary manufacturing systems is just not true.

Especially now that Cherry switches are 20+ years old, I can't imagine that making a cheaper alternative would be that hard to do while maintaining or even surpassing the quality of the original.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline FlukeNukem

« Reply #2725 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 14:36:52 »
The caps lock key shouldn't exist.  It doesn't need to be relocated to where the control or backspace is, it needs to be nuked from space and all mention of its former existence stricken from public record.  If you are typing enough sequential uppercase characters that you can't comfortably hold down shift to do it, than you're probably typing like an *******.  Don't type like an *******.

Also the tilde key is a pointless waste of keyboard real estate and the backspace should be where the backslash is on an ANSI keyboard.
CM Storm QFR Cherry MX Green
Dell AT101
IBM Model F 5291 "Bigfoot"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2726 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 14:41:08 »
The caps lock key shouldn't exist.  It doesn't need to be relocated to where the control or backspace is, it needs to be nuked from space and all mention of its former existence stricken from public record.  If you are typing enough sequential uppercase characters that you can't comfortably hold down shift to do it, than you're probably typing like an *******.  Don't type like an *******.

Also the tilde key is a pointless waste of keyboard real estate and the backspace should be where the backslash is on an ANSI keyboard.

This belongs to a thread on personal preferences.

Offline FlukeNukem

« Reply #2727 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 14:54:07 »

This belongs to a thread on personal preferences.

Like this exact thread? :D  All opinions (be they unpopular or not) are personal feelings or preferences.  That's what differentiates them from fact.
Dell AT101

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2728 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:14:26 »

Especially now that Cherry switches are 20+ years old, I can't imagine that making a cheaper alternative would be that hard to do while maintaining or even surpassing the quality of the original.

There are certainly cases which lead credence to what both of you are indicating, however, with respect to Gateron, we know of switch chatter and switch wobble both being issues.

When specifically referring to Zealios, measures have been taken to reduce chatter, but Zeal has mentioned that convincing Gateron on tighter tolerances is still a a challenge to be overcome for R3.

This still does not address general reliability over a long period of time. If anyone has seen published figures with respect to MTBF or even before "out of spec" figures along with supporting evidence on how these figures were achieved, I'll gladly read them.

Regardless of how my cautious attitude above may be perceived, I do believe it a good thing clones may have the potential to force Cherry's hand, lest an option like Gateron continue to improve to the point of clearly asserting itself superiour.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Malenky

« Reply #2729 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:30:49 »
May be unpopular but I'm willing to bet that at least a few people feel the same as me here:

I prefer plastic cases to aluminium. I own two POK3Rs and have swapped the cases on both for cheap plastic ones. I can just feel it in my fingers, the aluminium is just too harsh, whereas the plastic has the slightest bit of extra cushioning.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2730 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 17:30:47 »

Tilde key is what is used to open the developers console in 90% of games :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2731 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 17:34:51 »
Tilde is also far easier to use when you're talking about approximates than typing it roughly or approximately.

Offline FlukeNukem

« Reply #2732 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:16:15 »

Tilde key is what is used to open the developers console in 90% of games :P

You cheater!  :)) jk fair point.  I was trying to think of what you would use the tilde for and I guess I was just thinking about the fact that you can't actually use the tilde key to put a diacritical tilde over a character.

Tilde is also far easier to use when you're talking about approximates than typing it roughly or approximately.

I always abbreviate it approx for values and ca for dates.  I just don't trust that the person will know that's what a tilde preceding a number means, or that with they're font and resolution it won't look like a minus.
Dell AT101

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2733 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:20:49 »

It is a great button due to how useless it is. I disable capslock through windows and use it to bind my push to talk for my teamspeak. Easy to reach and perfect placement for fast communication.

how is tilde useless? it is used in so many programming languages. I do agree about the backspace It is used so often I don't know why they made it so far.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:22:29 by appleonama »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2734 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 20:07:42 »
May be unpopular but I'm willing to bet that at least a few people feel the same as me here:

I prefer plastic cases to aluminium. I own two POK3Rs and have swapped the cases on both for cheap plastic ones. I can just feel it in my fingers, the aluminium is just too harsh, whereas the plastic has the slightest bit of extra cushioning.

I also prefer plastic over aluminum. Particularly in the plate, I much prefer an acrylic plate or no plate at all over hard, metal plates.

It is a great button due to how useless it is. I disable capslock through windows and use it to bind my push to talk for my teamspeak. Easy to reach and perfect placement for fast communication.

how is tilde useless? it is used in so many programming languages. I do agree about the backspace It is used so often I don't know why they made it so far.

Most of the layouts we use today were adapted from typewriters. Backspace was not used nearly as often on typewriters. In fact, you only got a limited number of presses before the correction tape would have to be replaced. Though I do agree, it's not in a very convenient place for modern computer keyboards.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline nephiel

« Reply #2735 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 04:13:40 »
Caps Lock is very useful for coding - const names and such. And the tilde is shorthand for the home folder on pretty much any GNU/Linux variant.

As for cases, while I really like the looks of the fancy aluminium ones, I tend to prefer plastic for its portability since it's lighter.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2736 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 07:21:29 »

Caps lock is useless. I always swap caps for control. But the tilde? I use it daily in terminal and vim.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2737 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 07:25:00 »

There are certainly cases which lead credence to what both of you are indicating, however, with respect to Gateron, we know of switch chatter and switch wobble both being issues.

When specifically referring to Zealios, measures have been taken to reduce chatter, but Zeal has mentioned that convincing Gateron on tighter tolerances is still a a challenge to be overcome for R3.

This still does not address general reliability over a long period of time. If anyone has seen published figures with respect to MTBF or even before "out of spec" figures along with supporting evidence on how these figures were achieved, I'll gladly read them.

Regardless of how my cautious attitude above may be perceived, I do believe it a good thing clones may have the potential to force Cherry's hand, lest an option like Gateron continue to improve to the point of clearly asserting itself superiour.

Regards MTBF, I think those figures are **** and worthless given that testing circumstances are very VERY fake. I guess they test it by pressing a key 50000 times or more and then say: this should last up to 50000 strokes. But they do that within a period of... hours? But this is completely different from those 50000 strokes over a period of, let's say, 10 years: what about humidity, corrosion, actual force exerted by human hands, heat, etc. It is almost impossible to establish real world testing scenarios for this. There should be empirical research averaging how people use their keyboards over longer periods of time and then developing artificial testing conditions to mimic real world and then establish an accurate MTBF.

But of course, I'm ignorant. Manufacturers just want the highest number they can put on the package to increase sell sell sell, like with DPI for a mouse.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2738 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 08:26:12 »

Regards MTBF, I think those figures are **** and worthless given that testing circumstances are very VERY fake. I guess they test it by pressing a key 50000 times or more and then say: this should last up to 50000 strokes. But they do that within a period of... hours? But this is completely different from those 50000 strokes over a period of, let's say, 10 years: what about humidity, corrosion, actual force exerted by human hands, heat, etc. It is almost impossible to establish real world testing scenarios for this. There should be empirical research averaging how people use their keyboards over longer periods of time and then developing artificial testing conditions to mimic real world and then establish an accurate MTBF.

But of course, I'm ignorant. Manufacturers just want the highest number they can put on the package to increase sell sell sell, like with DPI for a mouse.
Hey! Some of use high DPI.. idk about 14-20k DPI though, that might be a tad excessive.

If they really want to test the equipment, the manufactures should strap the keyboard to a vibration plate. Then do the keystroke test. Maybe even toss in a mister. Something similar to the shake down of a commercial airplane would work.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2739 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 11:20:00 »
Hey! Some of use high DPI.. idk about 14-20k DPI though, that might be a tad excessive.

Anything over 6400 means either you have a 4K/eyefinity/etc. screen or are stupid.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline jamster

« Reply #2740 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 11:35:29 »

If they really want to test the equipment, the manufactures should strap the keyboard to a vibration plate. Then do the keystroke test. Maybe even toss in a mister. Something similar to the shake down of a commercial airplane would work.

What exactly do you use super high DPI on a mouse for?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2741 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:12:58 »

There's a thread on this.. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56255.msg1921882#msg1921882

Anyway.. I never go beyond 1600 or so (with my Avior 7000). I have a 27" 2560x1440 and my 15" 1680x1050 laptop screen so I really want to move quickly across both screens, for which I want a somewhat higher DPI. But beyond let's say 2000-2400 I wouldn't know what you would need the DPI for.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2742 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:59:55 »
kishsaver is ugly as ****

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2743 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:15:11 »

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2744 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:51:53 »

+1

Bezels looks terrible to me
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2745 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 21:28:07 »
Split keyboards are for chumps.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #2746 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 22:18:00 »

I 100% agree  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2747 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 22:32:31 »

Anything over 6400 means either you have a 4K/eyefinity/etc. screen or are stupid.
I guess I am stupid. I max out the DPI on my mouse (7,200 dpi) because my wrists don't like to move sideways anymore. I use my fingers to control the mouse, much like people do with a trackball.  :))

See above  :)

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2748 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 22:41:54 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #2749 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 02:45:32 »

I guess I am stupid. I max out the DPI on my mouse (7,200 dpi) because my wrists don't like to move sideways anymore. I use my fingers to control the mouse, much like people do with a trackball.  :))

See above  :)

Uh, in which case, yes, you need a trackball and not a mouse :D