Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268556 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2750 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 02:55:36 »
Hey! Some of use high DPI.. idk about 14-20k DPI though, that might be a tad excessive.

Anything over 6400 means either you have a 4K/eyefinity/etc. screen or are stupid.
I guess I am stupid. I max out the DPI on my mouse (7,200 dpi) because my wrists don't like to move sideways anymore. I use my fingers to control the mouse, much like people do with a trackball.  :))

Hey! Some of use high DPI.. idk about 14-20k DPI though, that might be a tad excessive.

If they really want to test the equipment, the manufactures should strap the keyboard to a vibration plate. Then do the keystroke test. Maybe even toss in a mister. Something similar to the shake down of a commercial airplane would work.

What exactly do you use super high DPI on a mouse for?
See above  :)

Uh, in which case, yes, you need a trackball and not a mouse :D
One day I will find a L-tracX.  :eek:

On one hand I feel that spacebars take up too much space, on the other hand I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a tiny spacebar. I want to like the Planck and the Ergodox but I think I would miss that normal sized spacebar  :-\

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2751 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 00:35:51 »
The caps lock key shouldn't exist.  It doesn't need to be relocated to where the control or backspace is, it needs to be nuked from space and all mention of its former existence stricken from public record.  If you are typing enough sequential uppercase characters that you can't comfortably hold down shift to do it, than you're probably typing like an *******.  Don't type like an *******.

Also the tilde key is a pointless waste of keyboard real estate and the backspace should be where the backslash is on an ANSI keyboard.

Going to disagree here.  The caps lock can be placed somewhere remote but should not be removed.  It becomes tremendously useful when in game threads on /r/hockey where the rule for playoffs game threads is: OT = all caps, 2OT = bold caps, 3OT = bold italic caps.  Loads of fun when you get into those situations (provided you aren't a fan of one of the teams involved, that is).

Offline Myk!

« Reply #2752 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 00:48:07 »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #2753 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:15:25 »
The caps lock key shouldn't exist.  It doesn't need to be relocated to where the control or backspace is, it needs to be nuked from space and all mention of its former existence stricken from public record.  If you are typing enough sequential uppercase characters that you can't comfortably hold down shift to do it, than you're probably typing like an *******.  Don't type like an *******.

Also the tilde key is a pointless waste of keyboard real estate and the backspace should be where the backslash is on an ANSI keyboard.

Going to disagree here.  The caps lock can be placed somewhere remote but should not be removed.  It becomes tremendously useful when in game threads on /r/hockey where the rule for playoffs game threads is: OT = all caps, 2OT = bold caps, 3OT = bold italic caps.  Loads of fun when you get into those situations (provided you aren't a fan of one of the teams involved, that is).

Agreed, although it could definitely just be put on another layer for specific cases like that. I sometimes use capslock for entering drawing designations (IE F1, F2, T1, T2, etc) and while I COULD use shift, capslock is just a touch faster.

Also for unpopular opinions: Universal plates look gross, and iso users are degenerates.

LeandreN please don't spit in my package :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 07:25:16 by Dernubenfrieken »

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2754 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:22:32 »

And I'm going to disagree with you: pressing shift twice to toggle caps is a much better way than capslock. May need firmware or OS support, but hey. Neither is particularly hard to come by.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2755 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:32:11 »

Have you considered the possibility of using caps in sequences that involve numbers and characters? I often use programming tags that are alpha-numeric and have to be case-correct (and are largely all-caps).

I know it isn't useful to you, but it does have a use. I'd be fine with it being buried under a function key or something, but don't pretend that it has no purpose just because you have no purpose for it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2756 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 01:20:57 »
I think I like the texture of pbt caps more than my gmk caps but nothing beats the aesthetics of gmk caps.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2757 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:10:33 »
I think I like the texture of pbt caps more than my gmk caps but nothing beats the aesthetics of gmk caps.
Agreed my friend  :thumb:

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2758 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:11:53 »
We don't know if Gaterons are more reliable than genuine Cherry MX - and since they produce the Zealios, they will fall under that general statement.

The general impression given is they are unable to adhere to the same strict tolerances in their manufacturing process - this makes sense, as ultimately the Gateron specific switches are an attempt to provide a cheaper product alternative. It does seem that their community engagement and willingness to make tweaked products (Zealios!) sets them above their peers (Kailh, Greetech, etc).

An assumption behind your argument, that is not necessarily true, is that lower cost equals lower quality, which in contemporary manufacturing systems is just not true.

Especially now that Cherry switches are 20+ years old, I can't imagine that making a cheaper alternative would be that hard to do while maintaining or even surpassing the quality of the original.

There are certainly cases which lead credence to what both of you are indicating, however, with respect to Gateron, we know of switch chatter and switch wobble both being issues.

When specifically referring to Zealios, measures have been taken to reduce chatter, but Zeal has mentioned that convincing Gateron on tighter tolerances is still a a challenge to be overcome for R3.

This still does not address general reliability over a long period of time. If anyone has seen published figures with respect to MTBF or even before "out of spec" figures along with supporting evidence on how these figures were achieved, I'll gladly read them.

Regardless of how my cautious attitude above may be perceived, I do believe it a good thing clones may have the potential to force Cherry's hand, lest an option like Gateron continue to improve to the point of clearly asserting itself superiour.

The only fix I've found that actually works for Gateron chatter is raising the bounce time in the windows registy.  It always seems to be the spacebar too.  The spacebar lengthand switch wobble may have somehting to do with it.  I'm gonna swap the switch with a cherry mx next time. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Rad

« Reply #2759 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:57:08 »
You shouldn't gut HHKBs and put other switches like Novatouch in them. If you do that, you can't rightfully say your HHKB is an HHKB.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2760 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:07:25 »
You shouldn't gut HHKBs and put other switches like Novatouch in them. If you do that, you can't rightfully say your HHKB is an HHKB.

Couldn't have said it better.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2761 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:12:33 »

How's this.  I don't mind mixing and matching GMK ABS  modifiers with thick PBT alphas.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2762 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 17:30:35 »

And I'm going to disagree with you: pressing shift twice to toggle caps is a much better way than capslock. May need firmware or OS support, but hey. Neither is particularly hard to come by.

Perhaps, but as a guy that prefers dedicated keys to key combinations, it could work but wouldn't be my preference. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2763 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:36:41 »

How's this.  I don't mind mixing and matching GMK ABS  modifiers with thick PBT alphas.

A PBT space bar with OG Cherry and GMK modifiers:

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2764 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 01:37:09 »
I kinda like ABS shine. Not super shiny where it's glossy, but I think it looks nice when the caps have a bit of wear on them, makes them look kinda cool. As long as they don't feel oily, I'm fine.

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2765 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 09:47:28 »
I frequent mechanical keyboard threads on tech sites mainly because I enjoy watching ppl with expensive DIY keyboards report back that something on their keyboard has gone wrong.

Great laughs considering the cost was 2x+ of any keyboard I own.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/?do=findComment&comment=7506685

This guy spends $800 on custom keyboards. Lol can't wait to hear about something going wrong with them.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/?do=findComment&comment=7535921

It's all fun and games if it's just a hobby, but when they start to brag and recommend ridiculous crap to ppl that want a keyboard for it's functionality, not for the 'fun' of maintaining it, then it grows the fun I have laughing at them.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2766 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 10:18:22 »
I frequent mechanical keyboard threads on tech sites mainly because I enjoy watching ppl with expensive DIY keyboards report back that something on their keyboard has gone wrong.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/?do=findComment&comment=7506685

This guy spends $800 on custom keyboards. Lol can't wait to hear about something going wrong with them.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/?do=findComment&comment=7535921

It's all fun and games if it's just a hobby, but when they start to brag and recommend ridiculous crap to ppl that want a keyboard for it's functionality, not for the 'fun' of maintaining it, then it grows the fun I have laughing at them.
:rolleyes:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2767 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:22:41 »

Well, that's most certainly an unpopular keyboard opinion around here, I can tell you that. :thumb:

But I can image people wanting to build their perfect board. Like with perfect PC builds or the perfect office or whatever. I can understand people investing a lot of money into what they dream of will be there perfect masterrace 9000 keyboard.

Offline jbondeson

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2768 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:28:39 »
[...]

Never understood this level of schadenfreude.

I mean if people are being asses about it I guess, but short of that it seems rather mean spirited of you. :/

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2769 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:52:59 »
[...]

Never understood this level of schadenfreude.

I mean if people are being asses about it I guess, but short of that it seems rather mean spirited of you. :/
Sounds like jealousy to me :))

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2770 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 14:48:40 »

Maybe, tho I could afford to buy the parts and put one together if I wanted. My photography gear dwarfs the cost of keyboards. I'd agree, mean spirited, still the funniest America's Home Videos are always where something quite unfortunate happened to someone in the video isn't it?

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2771 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:10:48 »

Maybe, tho I could afford to buy the parts and put one together if I wanted. My photography gear dwarfs the cost of keyboards. I'd agree, mean spirited, still the funniest America's Home Videos are always where something quite unfortunate happened to someone in the video isn't it?

Gonna have some gr8 laughs when yur photog gear bricks OuO

just for giggles

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2772 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:19:46 »

just for giggles

I've dropped my $2k Zeiss lens once. It's heart stopping at the time but I look back on it with laughter.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2773 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:23:23 »

just for giggles

I've dropped my $2k Zeiss lens once. It's heart stopping at the time but I look back on it with laughter.

Only a $2k lens?  Amateur. I dropped and broke a $4-5k 300mm Canon lens once.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2774 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:31:26 »

Man, people still watch that show?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2775 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 15:45:27 »

just for giggles

Are we comparing stupidity?

I once bought a board with mx blacks on purpose. Boy is MY face red.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2776 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 16:20:05 »

I do consider myself an amateur photographer. LOL I dropped it, but I didn't break it. Just the UV filter broke. Only amateurs ruin their IQ with UV filters  :p . Then again, pros insure their equipment so why would they bother trying to protect their gear eh?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2777 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 19:34:44 »

just for giggles

Are we comparing stupidity?

I once bought a board with mx blacks on purpose. Boy is MY face red.

Yeah but you ended up with a HHKB thus you are forgiven.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Data

« Reply #2778 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:28:30 »
Beige key sets are disgusting. It didn't look good in the 90s either. Just because a thing is "retro" doesn't make it a good idea.

Retro SA, on the other hand, looks amazing.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2779 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:49:21 »
Beige key sets are disgusting. It didn't look good in the 90s either. Just because a thing is "retro" doesn't make it a good idea.

Have Nuclear Green Data set in signature.  Opinion is invalid.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2780 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:52:05 »

el oh el

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2781 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 21:32:21 »

you have the ugliest colorway sets on your sig   >:D

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #2782 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:14:13 »
The best keyboard ever.

Wireless, quiet, and no weird colors.

The worst keyboard ever.

Loud, outdated (no win key & beige), bulky.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:18:58 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2783 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:36:17 »
The best keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

The worst keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

rip

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2784 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:46:46 »
The best keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

The worst keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

The only wrong thing is you snooping in a mechanical keyboard thread.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2785 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:47:59 »

who threw up your signature?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2786 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:24:30 »
The best keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

The worst keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

not gonna lie the apple chiclet keyboard still has a place in my heart

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2787 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:58:21 »

^
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2788 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 03:19:18 »
The best keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

The worst keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

not gonna lie the apple chiclet keyboard still has a place in my heart

I had one of the first, the original. And I hated it. It felt like the switch was different. It was less spongy / mushy, very hard touch. And it wouldn't register all the time. Eventually, I broke it out of frustration with my bare fists. I made it dent.

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
« Reply #2789 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 08:47:33 »
I'll go one worse than the guy who said that Apple's Bluetooth keyboard is the best.  I actually like the new butterfly switch keyboard used on the 2015 MacBook.
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2790 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 11:09:49 »
I'll go one worse than the guy who said that Apple's Bluetooth keyboard is the best.  I actually like the new butterfly switch keyboard used on the 2015 MacBook.

I've been told that people who like the previous MacBook keyboard will hate this one and vice versa, is that true?
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline carmenohio

« Reply #2791 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:18:37 »
The iPad Smart Keyboard is the best keyboard you can buy for $169.00 (if you're an iPad pro owner).  It's super portable, conveniently attaches to your iPad with the smart connector, and doubles as an iPad cover.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2792 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:24:19 »

Really? What do you like about it?

Personally, I hate it. Travel is...well.. lacking mostly.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2793 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:26:45 »

I've been told that people who like the previous MacBook keyboard will hate this one and vice versa, is that true?

Best keyboard for me Non-unibody MacBook Pro 2008 > MacBook Pro 2010 > Retina MacBook Pro > MacBook Air > Retina MacBook.

MacBook sucks (the new retina one). Keys do not wobble and it's nice they are large. But that travel and feel... it feels so weird. You are actually pressing but almost nothing happens. And it feels very.. too hard on the fingers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2794 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:27:22 »
The iPad Smart Keyboard is the best keyboard you can buy for $169.00 (if you're an iPad pro owner).  It's super portable, conveniently attaches to your iPad with the smart connector, and doubles as an iPad cover.

Show Image

Dat price though. FFS what is it with Apple these days. You need an extra mortgage if you want in the ecosystem.

Offline Data

« Reply #2795 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 19:41:26 »

el oh el

^

who threw up your signature?

Disgusting Beige fanboys identified.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #2796 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 01:23:42 »
The best keyboard ever.

(Attachment Link)

That thing actually does have lots of things going for it but unfortunately typing comfort and key rollover aren't on the list. Because I forgot to bring my mechanical 60% to work one day I had to type the whole day on one of those Apple keyboards and those are some pretty mushy keys. Good layout and compact size though!

Offline kasakka

« Reply #2797 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 01:26:36 »

I kinda agree. I think they can look good when combined with the right contrasting color but the old school "grey and beige"...yeah I don't want to see that anymore. Thankfully they no longer make computer cases in that color.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2798 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 07:31:49 »

Show Image

It is impressive that you took the time to make an account at GH, while you can go and post this comment in your wall at facebook instead, or maybe that picture at instagram, or tweet it, you may get friendly feedback there, or maybe you did not do that because nobody cares about your keyboard selection somewhere else. Welcome to GH, by the way.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2799 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 07:36:56 »

It is impressive that you took the time to make an account at GH, while you can go and post this comment in your wall at facebook instead, or maybe that picture at instagram, or tweet it, you may get friendly feedback there, or maybe you did not do that because nobody cares about your keyboard selection somewhere else. Welcome to GH, by the way.

Well, this is the "Unpopular Keyboard Opinions" thread.  :))