Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268636 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2800 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 07:41:11 »
The iPad Smart Keyboard is the best keyboard you can buy for $169.00 (if you're an iPad pro owner).  It's super portable, conveniently attaches to your iPad with the smart connector, and doubles as an iPad cover.

It is impressive that you took the time to make an account at GH, while you can go and post this comment in your wall at facebook instead, or maybe that picture at instagram, or tweet it, you may get friendly feedback there, or maybe you did not do that because nobody cares about your keyboard selection somewhere else. Welcome to GH, by the way.

Well, this is the "Unpopular Keyboard Opinions" thread.  :))

Of course, but reading between lines, a newcomer posting her tablet keyboard could mean either someone in need of attention or maybe that she really thinks a site on mechanical keyboards should not exist,  :))

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #2801 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 08:57:35 »
Adding springs does not make a rubber dome mechanical.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #2802 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:00:07 »
not sure if that's really an unpopular one
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2803 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:15:58 »

hybrid hybrid HYBRID!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #2804 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:19:51 »
Preach it!! 🙌

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2805 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:00:08 »
Preach it!! 🙌

Would it be fair to say: mechanical involves a proper switch, whereas rubber dome doesn't? Really rubber domes, well, literally have rubber domes that touch the PCB to register a key press. By that definition, Topre is a switch, is mech.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2806 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:04:53 »
who is calling Topre mechanical? Topre is a very fancy rubber dome. Rubber dome doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad Keyboard.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2807 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:07:43 »
who is calling Topre mechanical? Topre is a very fancy rubber dome. Rubber dome doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad Keyboard.

Well, technically, Topre literally is NOT a rubber dome because there is a switch that registers the key press, NOT the contact between rubber dome and PCB. There is still a switch with a stem that slides in the housing.

Rubber dome indeed does not necessary mean it is a bad keyboard though most rubber domes are POS.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2808 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:19:25 »

The dome is mostly there to keep that spring centered over the contact points. That is why I believe that topre has a place in the mechanical switch category

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2809 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:23:57 »
Show Image

The dome is mostly there to keep that spring centered over the contact points. That is why I believe that topre has a place in the mechanical switch category

Eh, I have to disagree there.

There wouldn't be any tactile feeling if the domes weren't there. Honestly this whole "rubber dome" argument seems pretty repetitive. Even if technically it is a rubber dome, it isn't a "rubber dome"

When people talk about rubber dome boards they mean this

Not this

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2810 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:24:28 »
Show Image

That's what I meant, thanks for explaining it more clearly :-)

But I can see people arguing that topre is a "luxurious dome board">

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2811 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:26:00 »
Show Image

There wouldn't be any tactile feeling if the domes weren't there. Honestly this whole "rubber dome" argument seems pretty repetitive. Even if technically it is a rubber dome, it isn't a "rubber dome"

Show Image

Not this
Show Image

So basically what you are saying is, people use the distinction for "regular 'crappy' boards like dell, hp, trust, oem, etc" vs not that?

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2812 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:31:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

Not this
Show Image

So basically what you are saying is, people use the distinction for "regular 'crappy' boards like dell, hp, trust, oem, etc" vs not that?

In other words I guess you could say that.

If you asked anyone to describe a rubber dome board the most popular words would probably be "cheap, mushy, bad feeling, low quality." I doubt many people (maybe a few who want to banter) would say Topre. I think it's more about the connotation of the word than the actual meaning. Even if Topre is a rubber dome board, I don't care, it doesn't change anything about how great it feels.

That said, I don't necessarily think it's rubber dome or mechanical though, I think it's more of in between.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2813 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:32:32 »
That said, I don't necessarily think it's rubber dome or mechanical though, I think it's more of in between.

Yeah, Topre is also referred to as a "hybrid switch". Though the debate ensues. It pops up every now and then (like now).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2814 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:34:41 »
There is no tactile feeling associated with certain cherry mx/gateron etc. switches but no one is arguing on whether or not they're mechanical. This is interesting though!

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #2815 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 18:40:26 »
There is no tactile feeling associated with certain cherry mx/gateron etc. switches but no one is arguing on whether or not they're mechanical. This is interesting though!

Switches aren't defined as mechanical as long as they have some sort of tactile feeling, it's more about how they're made

We should just make this easy and completely get rid of the name "mechanical keyboard"

Only "Premium keyboards"

</s>

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2816 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 18:45:39 »
Hell i don't care what anyone classifies Topre as...No Cherry switch No gateron Nor Kailh no Greetech nor Outemu nor ALPS
(Buckling spring a close second though..) comes close to feeling as good as Topre...even if Dog **** were under the keycaps as long as i get that Topre feel and sound i do not care how it is achieved.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2817 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 18:52:42 »
Show Image

Show Image

Not this
Show Image

Switches aren't defined as mechanical as long as they have some sort of tactile feeling, it's more about how they're made

We should just make this easy and completely get rid of the name "mechanical keyboard"

Only "Premium keyboards"

</s>

Haha, I only mentioned that because you mentioned tactile feel as the reason you disagreed with me.

I agree that we should call them hybrid switches. Calling them mechanical switches might produce headaches. Headaches are not good for business

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2818 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 19:35:45 »
Show Image

Show Image

Not this
Show Image

to be fair those dells aren't really too bad!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2819 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 20:35:35 »
Show Image

Show Image

Not this
Show Image

to be fair those dells aren't really too bad!

Let's forget about all MX, ALPS/Matias and BS and give everything you have with them to the good will; also, get some twenty dollar rubber dome keyboards and close GH, r/MK and DT, immediately. Those having a Topre could create their very own forum called the Expensive Rubber Lovers Church (The one and only actual mechanical keyboard congregation), they will admit only those that have at least a HHKB with dental bands and a RF equipped with PBT space bars and at least two artisan's over $200 each.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2820 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 01:50:37 »
I always used the term "mechanical keyboard" for a keyboard that has separate switches. And Topre does in fact have functionally separate switches even if practically the domes are on a single sheet, because as many dome swap mods proven, as long as you line them up right you can cut them up to single switches.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2821 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:08:37 »
I always used the term "mechanical keyboard" for a keyboard that has separate switches. And Topre does in fact have functionally separate switches even if practically the domes are on a single sheet, because as many dome swap mods proven, as long as you line them up right you can cut them up to single switches.

That's how I see it as well.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #2822 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 06:24:38 »

Haha, I only mentioned that because you mentioned tactile feel as the reason you disagreed with me.

I agree that we should call them hybrid switches. Calling them mechanical switches might produce headaches. Headaches are not good for business
Show Image

Aren't Topre switches marketed as "hybrid capacitive switches", at least by CM?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2823 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 06:40:28 »

Show Image

Aren't Topre switches marketed as "hybrid capacitive switches", at least by CM?

Yup, proof:

http://cmu.coolermaster.com/hybrid-capacitive-switch/

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2824 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 07:59:11 »
Why do you guys insist on calling topre a mechanical switch?

keep it simple... Topre is simply a "Topre switch"

Also there are no mechanical parts inside a topre switch. It is a plunger that only goes up and down.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2825 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:10:26 »

Also there are no mechanical parts inside a topre switch. It is a plunger that only goes up and down.

Nope, not true. There is a conic spring inside the switch housing:

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2826 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:27:25 »

(Attachment Link)

I know what a topre switch is.. but what I am saying is that topre is simply a dome you press that goes up and down. The spring is just there so the switch activates and how is that any different from a rubber dome? The spring is just a different method of switch activation. You can probably place a tiny piece of conductive metal to the top of an topre plunger and the switch will still activate.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Rubber_dome
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:29:19 by appleonama »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2827 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:38:15 »

(Attachment Link)

I know what a topre switch is.. but what I am saying is that topre is simply a dome you press that goes up and down. The spring is just there so the switch activates and how is that any different from a rubber dome? The spring is just a different method of switch activation. You can probably place a tiny piece of conductive metal to the top of an topre plunger and the switch will still activate.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Rubber_dome

So your definition of "mechanical" is a switch where you NEED to spring to get a key registered, which is not the case with topre?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:52:51 by iLLucionist »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2828 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:45:03 »
This thing about what actually makes a keyboard mechanical has been discussed multiple times before; but, it is always an interesting aspect of our trade; truth be told, anything that has moving parts is by definition a mechanism, therefore, it is irrelevant if the mechanism includes rubber, steel or plastic parts; thus, by definition, all keyboards are mechanical, unless they do not have moving parts. Touchscreen devices that offer a "keyboard" are not mechanical, but even the vibrators some phones and tablets use to give the user some feedback of the typing action are mechanical devices, maybe the keyboard is not mechanical but the feedback mechanism and the software that synchronize it with the user's action is. Also, in some aspects, the screen's layers of capacitive materials that registered the input of the user are also mechanical devices, a flexible net is bended to record the position of the touch on it, that later will be translated into an action by a complex code sequence. Mechatronics plus Infotronics devices surround our daily activities.

This discussion will never end, however, mechanical actuators based on rubber components and those based on metallic and plastic ones make a different typing experience. Each group of users would like to think that they are using the only true mechanical keyboard and there is no reason to try to convince them otherwise, let each mechanical keyboard user to enjoy their devices, they earned that right when they decided to pay a lot more for their keyboards than those that decided that there is no reason to replace the stock rubber dome keyboards that came with their PCs. Do not let them to know that even the last are users of mechanical keyboards, a cheaper iteration yes, but mechanical at the end.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:47:25 by ideus »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2829 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:53:51 »
This thing about what actually makes a keyboard mechanical has been discussed multiple times before; but, it is always an interesting aspect of our trade; truth be told, anything that has moving parts is by definition a mechanism, therefore, it is irrelevant if the mechanism includes rubber, steel or plastic parts; thus, by definition, all keyboards are mechanical, unless they do not have moving parts. Touchscreen devices that offer a "keyboard" are not mechanical, but even the vibrators some phones and tablets use to give the user some feedback of the typing action are mechanical devices, maybe the keyboard is not mechanical but the feedback mechanism and the software that synchronize it with the user's action is. Also, in some aspects, the screen's layers of capacitive materials that registered the input of the user are also mechanical devices, a flexible net is bended to record the position of the touch on it, that later will be translated into an action by a complex code sequence. Mechatronics plus Infotronics devices surround our daily activities.

This discussion will never end, however, mechanical actuators based on rubber components and those based on metallic and plastic ones make a different typing experience. Each group of users would like to think that they are using the only true mechanical keyboard and there is no reason to try to convince them otherwise, let each mechanical keyboard user to enjoy their devices, they earned that right when they decided to pay a lot more for their keyboards than those that decided that there is no reason to replace the stock rubber dome keyboards that came with their PCs. Do not let them to know that even the last are users of mechanical keyboards, a cheaper iteration yes, but mechanical at the end.

This is all very interesting.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2830 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 09:53:14 »
I actually like a definition of "mechanical" according to which an ordinary rubber dome is mechanical, but Topre is not: if it relies on making mechanical contact between parts to detect keypresses, then it's mechanical, and otherwise it's not. I like this definition because a lot of the other options seem basically arbitrary-- I mean, there's nothing inherently "mechanical" about metal but not rubber, for instance.

IIRC some sources of keyboard information from past decades used this definition, which is why you'll occasionally see statements about mechanical keyboards being the cheapest and least reliable kind of keyboard...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2831 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 10:02:53 »
I actually like a definition of "mechanical" according to which an ordinary rubber dome is mechanical, but Topre is not: if it relies on making mechanical contact between parts to detect keypresses, then it's mechanical, and otherwise it's not. I like this definition because a lot of the other options seem basically arbitrary-- I mean, there's nothing inherently "mechanical" about metal but not rubber, for instance.

IIRC some sources of keyboard information from past decades used this definition, which is why you'll occasionally see statements about mechanical keyboards being the cheapest and least reliable kind of keyboard...

Makes sense.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #2832 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 18:34:01 »

Mechanical is the least reliable. This one below has infinite keypresses; let's see Cherry beat that! Type till you die!!!

135255-0

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #2833 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:00:44 »

Mechanical is the least reliable. This one below has infinite keypresses; let's see Cherry beat that! Type till you die!!!

(Attachment Link)

That projector won't last an infinite keypresses. I doubt that projector could last 3 years.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Keycap

« Reply #2834 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:41:25 »
1. I absolutely love Black Alps and I prefer them to White Alps in most cases
2. I really like shiny ABS keycaps unless they're pad printed
3. I have no problem with using rubber domes and I still like them a lot
4. I'm not too fond of 60% keyboards (I own a Magicforce and the key combos get somewhat tedious at times)
5. I really enjoy Cherry MX Black switches and I find that they're very nice to type on
6. I completely prefer stock Cherry stabilizers to clipped stabilizers, the clipped stabilizers feel so rattly
7. I sometimes prefer clicky switches for gaming and linear switches for typing

Not that unpopular, but they count, I guess.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2835 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:51:01 »
Artisan keycaps, even those by some of the top names, are ugly as ****.  Give me vintage Cherry doubleshots over those any day.

Offline Keycap

« Reply #2836 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:56:26 »
Artisan keycaps, even those by some of the top names, are ugly as ****.  Give me vintage Cherry doubleshots over those any day.

I'll never really understand artisan keycaps. How a little piece of plastic can cost over $400 is beyond me.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2837 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 10:54:16 »

I'll never really understand artisan keycaps. How a little piece of plastic can cost over $400 is beyond me.

At least Clacks looked pretty good.  Some of the garbage I've seen on r/MK makes me question their mental faculties.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2838 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:05:50 »

Really? Which cap was it that sold for $400?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2839 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:07:48 »

Click Clacks at the height of CC mania.  I think Iremember jcrouse buying one for $500 in a GH fundraiser.

Offline Keycap

« Reply #2840 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:36:07 »

Well, technically, Topre literally is NOT a rubber dome because there is a switch that registers the key press, NOT the contact between rubber dome and PCB. There is still a switch with a stem that slides in the housing.

Rubber dome indeed does not necessary mean it is a bad keyboard though most rubber domes are POS.

Yes, but the rubber dome in Topre is why it's liked so much. Take away the rubber dome from a Topre switch. Is it usable at all? Barely, if at all usable. It would just be an insanely light conical spring over capacitive PCB switch—that's not what makes Topre a highly-regarded switch. Topre is defined by its character tactility and its *thock*, which is certainly produced by the dome itself and not the spring or the slider. And if you'd like to argue that Topre is not a rubber dome, please explain to me how the tactility is achieved. Surely there's a rubber dome in Topre, if you couldn't tell. It's not an "electrostatic layer", it's a rubber dome. It buckles, it's rubber, and it has a dome shape. And it makes a major difference in how the switch feels.

The fact that a rubber dome is used in Topre does not exclude it from being mechanical, sure, but there are different terminologies for domes. The most common being a pressure dome, AKA membrane dome. The dome presses down onto a membrane. It is called a rubber dome not because of the membrane, but because a rubber dome is used to press down onto the membrane. Almost identical to Topre, except Topre uses a capacitive PCB. Replace the membrane in a pressure dome with a capacitive PCB and a conical spring. Remember, the PCB and spring in Topre are only present for the actuation of the switch, just like the membrane is only present for the actuation of the pressure dome switch. Same exact thing, isn't it?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2841 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:29:20 »

I agree completely, however I only need 1 artisian in my life.

Doubleshot Billy Mays for CAPS

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2842 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:49:13 »

Click Clacks at the height of CC mania.  I think Iremember jcrouse buying one for $500 in a GH fundraiser.

Oh wow, they were that popular?! Holy moley :eek:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2843 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:53:37 »
Oh wow, they were that popular?! Holy moley :eek:
Multiple have sold for over $900 :)
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Anole

« Reply #2844 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:50:03 »
1. You shouldn't buy any boards with MX clones
2. ABS caps are bad
3. All keyboards should be ortholinear
4. The QWERTY layout should be revised

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2845 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:04:06 »
Everything Logitech is overrated.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2846 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:26:38 »
2. ABS caps are bad

About #1, while some MX clones are inferior, Gaterons and Zealios are often better than their Cherry counterparts.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2847 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:34:40 »
2. ABS caps are bad

About #1, while some MX clones are inferior, Gaterons and Zealios are often better than their Cherry counterparts.

I wouldn't calm them better as they have their own sets of issues.  Gaterons appear to be more prone to chattering and they have more stem wobble.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2848 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 20:42:20 »
2. ABS caps are bad

I wouldn't calm them better as they have their own sets of issues.  Gaterons appear to be more prone to chattering and they have more stem wobble.

Ah, I knew about the R1 Zealios and chattering but hadn't seen anything about Gaterons before.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #2849 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:16:30 »

At least Clacks looked pretty good.  Some of the garbage I've seen on r/MK makes me question their mental faculties.
i'd have to agree. there's so few artisan caps that actually piqued my interest.
i would like to try clacks if the price weren't so outrageous... and maybe some gems. brobots are okay, also goes with holy oops.. but the other, i don't know.

Everything Logitech is overrated.
wow, this is quite extreme  :))
lemme fixed it for you : everything logitech keyboard is overrated.
i love their mice. it's so good.

2. ABS caps are bad
another extreme opinion we have here  :))
i have to agree with num. 1 & 2 (even though gateron makes better/same quality as cherry, and i've heard good things about zealios)

but may i hear your opinion why number 3 and 4 exists? i have yet to try ortholinear keyboard but i would try if someone (at my country) give me a loan...

clacks sculls? some even go above $900, i've heard.

you know, it looks like 70~80% of this thread is only talking about topre switch and 60% keyboard being overrated, i suppose :))
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8