Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268586 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2850 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:18:55 »
Artisan keycaps, even those by some of the top names, are ugly as ****.  Give me vintage Cherry doubleshots over those any day.

I'll never really understand artisan keycaps. How a little piece of plastic can cost over $400 is beyond me.

you don't understand or you don't want to understand?

it's pretty easy to understand. people want stuff. people have money. people buy the stuff with the money they have at the prices they think it's worth it.

it's not a new concept. every hobby has it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2851 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:20:22 »
Artisan keycaps, even those by some of the top names, are ugly as ****.  Give me vintage Cherry doubleshots over those any day.

I'll never really understand artisan keycaps. How a little piece of plastic can cost over $400 is beyond me.

you don't understand or you don't want to understand?

it's pretty easy to understand. people want stuff. people have money. people buy the stuff with the money they have at the prices they think it's worth it.

it's not a new concept. every hobby has it.

mind blown

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #2852 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:28:14 »

The shift and backspace keys on the Model M are just impossible to press with a pinky.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2853 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:29:06 »

The shift and backspace keys on the Model M are just impossible to press with a pinky.
Change the stabs?

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2854 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 02:54:08 »
1. You shouldn't buy any boards with MX clones
2. ABS caps are bad
3. All keyboards should be ortholinear
4. The QWERTY layout should be revised

1. IMO a good portion(brand wise not produced switch count wise) of clones beat the original. If anything, I wouldn't buy any recent MX's given how bad they got.
2. The difference between good and bad ABS is much bigger than with PBT. Maybe try a good set and not just Crapwidow caps.
3. Ortholinear boards are a flawed concept because they force twisting wrists outwards more than standard stagger. If anything, symmetric stagger should become common.
4. There's no perfect layout and there never will be. Just use what's best for you.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #2855 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:01:02 »
Artisan caps are like the genital warts of a keyboard.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #2856 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:31:42 »
Artisan caps are like the genital warts of a keyboard.

Yeah, I think my main issue is that they don't really fit the design of what a keycap is supposed to function as. I'd rather go for something that looks like it was designed with functionality as an underlying goal, and have good aesthetics emerge from that achievement of providing something that functions well.

I think a good example of something that fits this description would be a titanium spacebar. It could even have some cool engraving on the front. Maybe like how firearms would have engraving on them to dress them up a bit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:34:30 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2857 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 16:24:37 »
ISO kits are ugly and the Enter key just feels horrible to use.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2858 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 16:45:01 »
I'm not a fan of most keyset legends

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2859 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 18:55:12 »
1. You shouldn't buy any boards with MX clones
I'd honestly rather use Greetechs new Cherry is so awful feeling.

you know, it looks like 70~80% of this thread is only talking about topre switch and 60% keyboard being overrated, i suppose :))
This guy gets it.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #2860 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 18:58:29 »
ISO kits are ugly

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2861 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:22:45 »

You must have some really weak pinkies or really small hands :p :p :p

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2862 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 19:26:57 »

I don't think this is unpopular. ISO Is pointless

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2863 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 20:11:30 »
ISO kits are ugly

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions

It's unpopular with me  :mad:
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2864 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 10:29:20 »
So uh. I don't know if this is actually an unpopular opinion. I also don't know if I've posted this before. In fact, I probably have. Not sure. Ever since going on a diet several months ago, I've been kind of out of it, so now I sometimes repeat myself like a senile old person (even more than I used to).

Right.

Trackpoints.

More specifically, the fact that decent versions for normal-profile keyboards with acceptable durability and enough sensitivity to be used on a modern monitor at 6/11 Windows cursor speed (EPP off of course), need to be made to exist, and that every keyboard should then have one.

Why? Well, think of the main reasons that home desktop users appeal to when they try to explain those deformed, stubby little compact keyboards that so many enthusiasts buy. Specifically "it lets you keep your hands closer together, in a more natural position," or "it makes it faster and easier to switch back and forth between the keyboard and mouse."

Anything (okay, almost anything) a compact keyboard, no matter how small-- even 60%, even 40%-- does in those regards, a keyboard with a TrackPoint, even if it's full-size, heck, even if it's a monster with double function rows and macro keys on both size, does better. And it does it without having to sacrifice any keys at all. I guess I could still see using a stunted keyboard if you spend many hours every day playing FPS and really want to use a conventional mouse for it, despite the ergonomic disadvantages of such a device, but even then, you should still have a TrackPoint too for anything else you might want to do at your computer. In fact, given that the TrackPoint takes up very little additional space-- just a tiny bit of extra thickness for the bottom edge to accommodate the buttons-- even if you strongly prefer a different pointing device, you should have a TrackPoint anyway, just to let you vary the motions you're using for mousing (remember, the "R" in "RSI" stands for repetitive).

Conveniently, if all keyboards had TrackPoints, then all keycap sets would have compatible G, H, and B keycaps, so there would not be any problems in that regard.

Sometimes people complain about the danger of hitting the TrackPoint by accident. Personally, I'm not convinced that this is real. I have a screwed up typing style where I press some of the keys in the middle area of the keyboard with either hand depending on what has come before, so if anyone was going to bump into the TrackPoint by accident, it'd be me. But, thinking back to all of the things I did on my ThinkPad, I can't recall that ever actually happening.

Anyway, yeah. TrackPoints. People who supply components to keyboard makers need to get on that.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline vegs

« Reply #2865 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 11:57:00 »
MX blues are terrible
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2866 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 11:59:38 »

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #2867 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 12:23:53 »

I don't think this is unpopular. ISO Is pointless

The enter key is just a giant waste of space. It's fine otherwise.
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2868 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:05:28 »
So uh. I don't know if this is actually an unpopular opinion. I also don't know if I've posted this before. In fact, I probably have. Not sure. Ever since going on a diet several months ago, I've been kind of out of it, so now I sometimes repeat myself like a senile old person (even more than I used to).

Right.

Trackpoints.
More
More specifically, the fact that decent versions for normal-profile keyboards with acceptable durability and enough sensitivity to be used on a modern monitor at 6/11 Windows cursor speed (EPP off of course), need to be made to exist, and that every keyboard should then have one.

Why? Well, think of the main reasons that home desktop users appeal to when they try to explain those deformed, stubby little compact keyboards that so many enthusiasts buy. Specifically "it lets you keep your hands closer together, in a more natural position," or "it makes it faster and easier to switch back and forth between the keyboard and mouse."

Anything (okay, almost anything) a compact keyboard, no matter how small-- even 60%, even 40%-- does in those regards, a keyboard with a TrackPoint, even if it's full-size, heck, even if it's a monster with double function rows and macro keys on both size, does better. And it does it without having to sacrifice any keys at all. I guess I could still see using a stunted keyboard if you spend many hours every day playing FPS and really want to use a conventional mouse for it, despite the ergonomic disadvantages of such a device, but even then, you should still have a TrackPoint too for anything else you might want to do at your computer. In fact, given that the TrackPoint takes up very little additional space-- just a tiny bit of extra thickness for the bottom edge to accommodate the buttons-- even if you strongly prefer a different pointing device, you should have a TrackPoint anyway, just to let you vary the motions you're using for mousing (remember, the "R" in "RSI" stands for repetitive).

Conveniently, if all keyboards had TrackPoints, then all keycap sets would have compatible G, H, and B keycaps, so there would not be any problems in that regard.

Sometimes people complain about the danger of hitting the TrackPoint by accident. Personally, I'm not convinced that this is real. I have a screwed up typing style where I press some of the keys in the middle area of the keyboard with either hand depending on what has come before, so if anyone was going to bump into the TrackPoint by accident, it'd be me. But, thinking back to all of the things I did on my ThinkPad, I can't recall that ever actually happening.

Anyway, yeah. TrackPoints. People who supply components to keyboard makers need to get on that.

Yeah, my big problem with trackpoints is that they're infinitely slower and harder to use. Also look like garbage
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #2869 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:49:42 »
I prefer the ISO layout and I almost teared up when I read FoxWolf1's plea for more trackpoints :p

For TrackPoints to be interesting, crank up the sensitivity and increase acceleration, only then do they really shine. They become borderline telepathic.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2870 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:12:50 »
MX blues are terrible

All Cherry switches are crappy and scratchy even with lube. 

Alps for the win.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #2871 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 01:54:22 »

Right.

Trackpoints.

I prefer the ISO layout and I almost teared up when I read FoxWolf1's plea for more trackpoints :p

For TrackPoints to be interesting, crank up the sensitivity and increase acceleration, only then do they really shine. They become borderline telepathic.
I can't possibly put into words how strongly I agree to this. It was the reason I built a board which in turn got me into this hobby in the first place.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2872 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 04:10:32 »
Having used a custom layout for almost two weeks now, I came to the conclusion that all modifiers should be toggleable: instead of holding down shift, alt, ctrl and the rest, press & release to toggle them on, press again to toggle them off. I found that this makes it much more comfortable to type, and use key chords: I don't have to hold multiple buttons, thus, less gymnastics for the fingers, and I can put the modifiers to a place where toggling them is trivial and fast, but holding them would be a pain in the backside: the thumb cluster on the ErgoDox. As such, I was able to banish the capslock key, as my shift does the same thing, but better (it also shifts the number row too, which caps doesn't).

Best experiment ever. Now I'm convinced this should be the default on every keyboard.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #2873 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 14:43:13 »
Having used a custom layout for almost two weeks now, I came to the conclusion that all modifiers should be toggleable: instead of holding down shift, alt, ctrl and the rest, press & release to toggle them on, press again to toggle them off. I found that this makes it much more comfortable to type, and use key chords: I don't have to hold multiple buttons, thus, less gymnastics for the fingers, and I can put the modifiers to a place where toggling them is trivial and fast, but holding them would be a pain in the backside: the thumb cluster on the ErgoDox. As such, I was able to banish the capslock key, as my shift does the same thing, but better (it also shifts the number row too, which caps doesn't).

Best experiment ever. Now I'm convinced this should be the default on every keyboard.

god, this reminds me of the asshats i know who type capital letters by toggling caps lock. they're not toggle-able because it would be annoying as hell to hit shift, press i, and then hit shift again. idk if it works for you, excellent, but this is definitely one of the more unpopular posts in the thread LOL
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2874 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 14:59:19 »

god, this reminds me of the asshats i know who type capital letters by toggling caps lock. they're not toggle-able because it would be annoying as hell to hit shift, press i, and then hit shift again. idk if it works for you, excellent, but this is definitely one of the more unpopular posts in the thread LOL

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2875 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 15:14:40 »
MX blues are terrible

All Cherry switches are crappy and scratchy even with lube. 

Alps for the win.

Actually, I have some heavily worn in MX Blues, they are THE smoothest switches I've ever tried. They're from a G1 BlackWidow.

but yeah they still suck

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2876 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 15:50:04 »

It really is not annoying. Mentally, you do 3 actions anyway: press shift, tap key, release shift. I do 3 actions too: tap shift, tap key, tap shift. Since my shift is at my thumb, this is really fast, effortless, and less gymnastics for my fingers, since I do not have to hold anything. Apparently, I'm not the only one (see typing tips at the end).

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2877 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 16:47:56 »

It really is not annoying. Mentally, you do 3 actions anyway: press shift, tap key, release shift. I do 3 actions too: tap shift, tap key, tap shift. Since my shift is at my thumb, this is really fast, effortless, and less gymnastics for my fingers, since I do not have to hold anything. Apparently, I'm not the only one (see typing tips at the end).

Sorry, that method sounds awful to me. I don't want to tap shift twice because, by the time the first tap is finished, I have already pressed the letter. The technique is to tap shift once and just time when you press the letter so that that key gets below the activation point before shift gets back above it. It should feel like you're just pressing the two simultaneously; with practice, your subconscious and/or the keyboard firmware will make sure the order comes out right.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2878 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:42:43 »
Sorry, that method sounds awful to me. I don't want to tap shift twice because, by the time the first tap is finished, I have already pressed the letter. The technique is to tap shift once and just time when you press the letter so that that key gets below the activation point before shift gets back above it. It should feel like you're just pressing the two simultaneously; with practice, your subconscious and/or the keyboard firmware will make sure the order comes out right.

That still doesn't solve the issue of having to actuate them at roughly the same time, thus, finger gymnastics in some cases, or - as you wrote - practice, or rely on my subconscious (mine is busy thinking about other things than when to release a key). With a sticky shift, I do not have to practice, I can "release" it at my own leasure, and can type more comfortably. I also found it very convenient, when writing a question mark, and then a new sentence: I just don't untoggle it. I don't have to keep it held, nor do I have to actuate it twice, so I even save a keystroke or two!

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2879 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:52:41 »
If you're not going to hold it down, at least use sticky keys.

Toggle would be even worse than sticky keys

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2880 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:03:57 »

It really isn't. There is very little difference between holding a key, and releasing it at the right moment, and tapping it twice. Except, in the second case, I can tap other keys, or even set up a modifier combo without running out of fingers (hey Emacs!). Ctrl-c, Ctrl-t, Shift-m vs Ctrl, c, t, Ctrl, Shift, m. My fingers like the latter more, key chords are something I always tried to avoid, in favour of key sequences.

My brain finds it easier to press stuff in sequence, than to press combos and release at the right time. Less state to keep in mind, the more space I have for more useful things, so to say. :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2881 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:42:46 »

I love holding things down. I would rather hold shift instead of pressing caps lock. Even for whole sentences.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2882 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 22:33:59 »

I love holding things down. I would rather hold shift instead of pressing caps lock. Even for whole sentences.

Glad I'm not the only one. Unless I'm going to be sending multiple messages in caps, I'll usually just hold down shift :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2883 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 22:54:48 »

That still doesn't solve the issue of having to actuate them at roughly the same time, thus, finger gymnastics

What you call finger gymnastics is just the natural hands dexterity and coordination, that is only missing in people suffering an illness, what you propose is simple against the nature of a healthy human being, if you prefer to do the taps in sequence, against to simultaneously is OK, but pretend that to be the standard is just absurd. Chords are just a natural way to take advantage of an intrinsic ability of human hands.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2884 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 01:07:45 »
Right.

Trackpoints.

(...) I guess I could still see using a stunted keyboard if you spend many hours every day playing FPS and really want to use a conventional mouse for it, despite the ergonomic disadvantages of such a device, but even then, you should still have a TrackPoint too for anything else you might want to do at your computer.
Hahahaha no. Games can be divided into two categories: "mouse > keyboard-only > trackpad" and "keyboard only > mouse > trackpad". And we're not even talking about controllers.

And people that don't want QWERTY caps(which, if you're talking about ergonomics, you should mention) would be screwed. And I don't mean like right now, where they can rearrange keycaps as long as they aren't profiled, I mean completely screwed.

Sometimes people complain about the danger of hitting the TrackPoint by accident. Personally, I'm not convinced that this is real.

I know a guy who sold his Thinkpad just because the trackpad was annoying him way too much.

Come on, does it really take a rhythm game guy to make you see that a "tap" is TWO actions, a press and a release, just without a break inbetween? And Capslock's behaviour with not shifting up numbers is a good thing, if you ever want to type out a serial code or something. Not enough to make it take up the rightful place of control, but still useful enough to keep on a layer or an unused key if you have one.

The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2885 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 01:35:51 »
Flipped spacebar is the most comfortable orientation, no matter the sitting posture, heathens and their inferiority complex who say otherwise should be ridiculed when ever possible.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2886 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 01:42:13 »
Flipped spacebar is the most comfortable orientation, no matter the sitting posture, heathens and their inferiority complex who say otherwise should be ridiculed when ever possible.

sooo you have an abnormal thumb?

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2887 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 03:16:29 »

Come on, does it really take a rhythm game guy to make you see that a "tap" is TWO actions, a press and a release, just without a break inbetween? And Capslock's behaviour with not shifting up numbers is a good thing, if you ever want to type out a serial code or something. Not enough to make it take up the rightful place of control, but still useful enough to keep on a layer or an unused key if you have one.

Regarding press & release: yes, it is two actions, but you don't ever have to remember when to release it. So it is a tiny bit different than holding it for a chord, because all your key presses are taps. You do not need to make a difference between tapping and holding.

As for the caps behavior: if I ever need to type serial numbers (I usually copy & paste them instead, since most serial I deal with, I receive electronically anyway), I'll make a layer for it on my keyboard.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2888 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:23:34 »
I think I am starting to love 62g gateron black linears.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2889 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 01:03:41 »
logitech k120 feels better than any other keyboard I have ever tried.
seriously, just feel amazing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2890 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 01:37:10 »
Caps Lock is overrated

Offline Lohup

• Lohup Custom Cables
« Reply #2891 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 06:20:37 »
1. I really dislike LED backlighting. I think it looks tacky.
2. I don't understand the appeal of Ergodox.
3. I like loud switches. If you can't hear them across the room, they're not loud enough.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2892 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 08:51:00 »
I kinda like the font Razer uses on their keycaps.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2893 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 09:58:01 »
Caps Lock is overrated

This is a fact and facts are undisputed.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2894 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:08:12 »
Caps Lock is overrated

OK fine. I think that Caps Lock is overrated. ^-^

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2895 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:14:05 »
I don't understand the appeal of ErgoDox in 2016.

It was brilliant in 2013-2014: a custom split mechanical keyboard with a reasonable layout, and you could actually buy the PCBs and cases.

Nowadays though? The process of building custom keyboards is extremely well documented; some mass-produced split mechanical keyboards are readily available (Matias Ergo Pro) or will be quite soon (keyboard.io M01, new kinesis).

Offline tintoret

« Reply #2896 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:26:38 »
Caps Lock is overrated

Dispute! For caps lock to be 'overrated,' it would need to be possible to like caps lock less. Since no one likes caps lock at all, its rating is adequate.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2897 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:33:42 »
Caps Lock is overrated

Dispute! For caps lock to be 'overrated,' it would need to be possible to like caps lock less. Since no one likes caps lock at all, its rating is adequate.

There we go. Ehehe, this is going to be fun *rubs hands together* Oh boy, here we go

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #2898 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:42:27 »
I remember using Fujitsu keyboards - they're described as having the worst tactile response ever by many here - and I liked them at the time.

As for Caps Lock: while the functionality is useful, I thought it was the conventional wisdom here, not an unpopular opinion, that the Caps Lock key is not used often enough to justify its conventional placement so close to the active typing area of the keyboard, which leads to it being hit by accident too often.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:45:39 by quadibloc »

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2899 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 12:06:50 »
I don't understand the appeal of ErgoDox in 2016.

It was brilliant in 2013-2014: a custom split mechanical keyboard with a reasonable layout, and you could actually buy the PCBs and cases.

Nowadays though? The process of building custom keyboards is extremely well documented; some mass-produced split mechanical keyboards are readily available (Matias Ergo Pro) or will be quite soon (keyboard.io M01, new kinesis).

Just because a mass-produced version is available doesn't mean people won't do a custom.

That's like saying I should've just bought a Leopold instead of a Clueboard or everyone should buy Pok3rs instead of whichever custom 60% is hot at any given moment.