Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268638 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2900 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 13:09:38 »
2. I don't understand the appeal of Ergodox.
I don't understand the appeal of ErgoDox in 2016.

It was brilliant in 2013-2014: a custom split mechanical keyboard with a reasonable layout, and you could actually buy the PCBs and cases.

Nowadays though? The process of building custom keyboards is extremely well documented; some mass-produced split mechanical keyboards are readily available (Matias Ergo Pro) or will be quite soon (keyboard.io M01, new kinesis).

Just because a mass-produced version is available doesn't mean people won't do a custom.

That's like saying I should've just bought a Leopold instead of a Clueboard or everyone should buy Pok3rs instead of whichever custom 60% is hot at any given moment.
Documentation, tools and parts are much better than a few years ago. Building a truly custom keyboard with a much better layout than the ErgoDox is much easier these days.

OTOH, mass-produced plastic molds beat acrylic/layers in terms of case quality, if one wants to keep it around the $200 budget for a complete split keyboard. Out-of-the-box tenting solutions (Kinesis, Matias) win too.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2901 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 15:17:02 »
Modding a HHKB with 55G domes is a sin.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Keycap

« Reply #2902 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 15:28:43 »
I really like domes. A lot.

I've talked about this in the keyboard confession thread but I'm really wondering if I'm going insane or something. And no, it doesn't seem like a phase. I've been like this for the past 9-10 months.

I really like BTC domes the best, but NMB domes are good too. And every single PC Concepts keyboard that I've tried has had this very snappy keyfeel. Something you just do not find at all on tactile switches. IMO, if you want to generate tactility, domes are where it's at.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2903 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 15:39:54 »

It was brilliant in 2013-2014: a custom split mechanical keyboard with a reasonable layout, and you could actually buy the PCBs and cases.

Nowadays though? The process of building custom keyboards is extremely well documented; some mass-produced split mechanical keyboards are readily available (Matias Ergo Pro) or will be quite soon (keyboard.io M01, new kinesis).

I don't understand the appeal of building a custom keyboard, nor do I understand why one should wait for some keyboard that will come Someday(tm), instead of buying one NOW (and still buy the future one too, because we buy keyboards anyway). I do not understand why people think that a thumbcluster-less keyboard would be an adequate alternative to the ErgoDox.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2904 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 15:52:38 »

I don't understand the appeal of building a custom keyboard [...]

Some people like putting things together, or they just want something super specific in a board.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #2905 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 16:27:09 »

Some people like putting things together, or they just want something super specific in a board.

Building customs is the entire reason I'm in this hobby. After I built my first custom (my daily driver) I didn't need any more. The custom I have at home, and the AEKII I have at work perfectly fulfill my needs. I have this hobby and I keep buying boards because I legitimately enjoy building them.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2906 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 16:32:17 »

I'd rather pay someone to do that for me, if I ever end up unsatisfied with what is readily avaliable. In the end, that will come out cheaper, faster, and with better quality.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2907 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 21:20:14 »

I don't understand the appeal of building a custom keyboard, nor do I understand why one should wait for some keyboard that will come Someday(tm), instead of buying one NOW (and still buy the future one too, because we buy keyboards anyway). I do not understand why people think that a thumbcluster-less keyboard would be an adequate alternative to the ErgoDox.
Simple: layout. Stock ErgoDox thumb clusters are *very* far from great.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2908 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 21:36:59 »
There are keyboard's users, collectors and creators, they have different mind sets regarding keyboards, they do not match, they do not mix and they cannot agree. Some are in two, or even three categories at once though.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2909 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 22:02:45 »
There are keyboard's users, collectors and creators, they have different mind sets regarding keyboards, they do not match, they do not mix and they cannot agree. Some are in two, or even three categories at once though.

If you want true confusion, try convincing 4 women in one shoe store to buy ONE model of shoe, it will NEVER happen in this life time or the next.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2910 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 02:17:12 »

Simple: layout. Stock ErgoDox thumb clusters are *very* far from great.

I understand why another keyboard with a better thumb cluster would be an alternative (eg, the keyboardio M01). But the Matias Ergo Pro does NOT have a thumb cluster at all, and the Kinesis isn't split, so they're very far from being viable alternatives. I'd rather have the thumb cluster of the ErgoDox than none.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2911 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 08:11:53 »
Modding a HHKB with 55G domes is a sin.

This exactly this

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #2912 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:43:04 »
Every POM/PBT backlit keycap that I've seen has been designed and/or created incorrectly.
- If ABS backlit keycaps have their legends at the top 1/2 of the keycap so BOTH characters can be illuminated, why don't we have POM/PBT keycaps with similar legend formats? 
-- Side by Side vs Over/Under.  Over/Under format causes the character on bottom to remain 'dark' on nearly every backlit keyboard.

I do concur with others that have stated that 'full rows of artisan keycaps' look like tacky trash. 

ABS keycaps need to just go away.  When I get a new board, I order a new set of PBT keycaps almost immediately if the board doesn't already come with them.
- No, it really doesn't matter that the ABS caps are doubleshot or tripleshot or 'omg they look like some high-end old-school keyset'.  They are still inferior.

In 2016, we still haven't solved the issue with fast global shipping?  Why does it take 3-4 weeks for everything that I order from China or South Korea to arrive?  5-10 days should be the absolute maximum for delivery time.
- This is especially true when I'm waiting for a new Leopold, Filco, Varmilo, or Ducky.

Where the hell are all of the front facing (aka - sideprint) backlit POM/PBT keycaps at? 

I hate mixing my keyboard and mouse brands.  Bugs the hell out of me when I can't get a mouse product from the same company/brand that made my keyboard. 
- PBT mouse by Ducky (Secret) was a good step in the right direction, but I'd love to see more companies follow suit.

Cherry MX White switches = quality control nightmare?  Are cherry mx white switches really some form of lubrication ninja magic?  Why isn't there a clear and definitive answer to the reported irregularity/sporadic performance issue of this switch type? 

I hate that there isn't a click switch somewhere between Cherry MX blue and green. 

That's a good start....

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:11:39 by JigsawSaint »

Offline Keycap

« Reply #2913 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:05:27 »
ABS keycaps need to just go away.  When I get a new board, I order a new set of PBT keycaps almost immediately if the board doesn't already come with them.
- No, it really doesn't matter that the ABS caps are doubleshot or tripleshot or 'omg they look like some high-end old-school keyset'.  They are still inferior.
Although I certainly agree with you that artisans are horrendously ugly and tacky, I don't see why ABS should just "go away". I like ABS a lot because the texture is soft, not rough and gritty like PBT. I do like PBT, but ABS really has its places as well. Don't tell me that PBT is shine resistant, either. I have some keycaps on a 14-year-old Unicomp that are far shinier than any ABS set that I own.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2914 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:28:36 »
Although I certainly agree with you that artisans are horrendously ugly and tacky, I don't see why ABS should just "go away". I like ABS a lot because the texture is soft, not rough and gritty like PBT. I do like PBT, but ABS really has its places as well. Don't tell me that PBT is shine resistant, either. I have some keycaps on a 14-year-old Unicomp that are far shinier than any ABS set that I own.

You can begin a campaign 'ala Trump style' to promote that no one buy ABS key caps anymore, when that happens ABS key caps will go away, due to lack of market; but, until that happens I do not think that manufacturers will stop production any time soon, just because you wrote your opinion here.

We can start the usual interchange of pros/cons lists to justify our preferences on key caps; but, that is entirely unnecessary, because, everyone buys whatever they want. In my case I am very happy with my OG Cherry sets and I really do not care about opinions, at the end, all that counts is my very own enjoyment of the daily typing experience, which cannot be any better.

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #2915 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 01:38:59 »
Well, the thread is titled 'Unpopular Keyboard Opinions'  :)  Was trying to contribute to keep the thread going. 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2916 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 02:08:15 »
Blackwidow tournament edition is a nice keyboard
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2917 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 05:56:43 »
Neither is quite correct.

The texture doesn't really depend on the material. Take PBT caps, for example: DSA is very rough; hellgrau Cherry caps aren't rough, but feel "dry"; Vortex PBT caps aren't even that dry—in fact, I find them rather smooth; at the end of the spectrum, inner parts and even sides of IBM/Unicomp Model M caps are completely smooth and even glossy out of the box.

PBT is absolutely more sweat-resistant then ABS, although it's still possible to wear them out; it's quite common on second-hand hellgrau Cherry G80s from German stores, typically used for about 5 years all day long every day. The real problem with PBT is that it's rather brittle, though. (And warped larger keys are another common concern.)

Regardless, more POM keycaps would always be nice. They're typically smooth and much more durable than both ABS and PBT.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2918 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 06:09:19 »
But the Matias Ergo Pro does NOT have a thumb cluster at all
Yeah, and not everyone needs thumb clusters (esp. too far out) or wants to get used a completely new physical layout. That option didn't exist a few years back, but it does not.

the Kinesis isn't split, so they're very far from being viable alternatives
Kinesis Freestyle is completely split, and a version with Cherry MX might pop up eventually; speaking of that, the soft domes in the current freestyle are supposedly comparable to goldtouch's, which are excellent. The V3 kit, that was originally meant for it, is one of the best solutions to tent other keyboards, including the ErgoDox.

Kinesis Advantage provides hand separation too, although it's fixed at average shoulder width—one size doesn't fit all, but OTOH the single-piece design is much more convenient in other ways (no dealing with interconnection, typing on the lap, moving around)… the IBM M15's and keyboard.io M01's ability to bind both halves into one piece is very nice.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2919 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 06:57:28 »
But the Matias Ergo Pro does NOT have a thumb cluster at all
Yeah, and not everyone needs thumb clusters (esp. too far out) or wants to get used a completely new physical layout. That option didn't exist a few years back, but it does not.

I believe that those who still want an ErgoDox in 2016 do want a thumb cluster, and a completely new physical layout is ok with them too. That obviously does not cover everyone, just those who want an ErgoDox now. As for the thumb clusters, I'm ok with them. Not perfect, but I can reach the two big buttons effortlessly, and the rest I use rarely enough that a bit of hand movement to reach them is fine.

the Kinesis isn't split, so they're very far from being viable alternatives
Kinesis Freestyle is completely split, and a version with Cherry MX might pop up eventually;

So a split, mechanical Kinesis is not available as of this writing. The Freestyle also lacks the wells, and as such, quickly looses its appeal for me.

Kinesis Advantage provides hand separation too, although it's fixed at average shoulder width—one size doesn't fit all, but OTOH the single-piece design is much more convenient in other ways (no dealing with interconnection, typing on the lap, moving around)… the IBM M15's and keyboard.io M01's ability to bind both halves into one piece is very nice.

I'm not going to use a keyboard I can't split. My mouse is in the middle, and it will stay there. A split keyboard also allows me to type one-handed, and mouse with the other. It allows me to position the halves in any way I want: I can put one further away, if I happen to sit partially with my side to the table, which happens when I talk to people, and still want to type (to take notes, for example), without looking at the screen. With a non-split, that's considerably harder to do.

So, in short, there are cases where the ErgoDox, even today, in 2016, has no viable alternatives readily avaliable, and thus its appeal remains. Is it for everyone? Hell no. But there are cases where you have nothing better. Granted, you could always do a custom, but I don't have the skills, the time, the tools, the motivation, or the will to do that, nor do I have the energy to find and pay someone twice the money I paid for my ErgoDox EZ, to build me something marginally better, without warranty.

The ErgoDox's appeal is that it ticks enough boxes on my checklist to be worth it, and is readily available. It doesn't have to be perfect to be appealing. It just has to be better than any of the alternatives, for a specific person and their use-cases.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2920 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 07:18:08 »
It is interesting to read about the experiences and uses of the ergodox; but, how someone can take notes with one hand, while at the phone on one half of a key board, only? LOL. Well, the passion comes in the middle of the logic.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2921 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 07:31:04 »
It is interesting to read about the experiences and uses of the ergodox; but, how someone can take notes with one hand, while at the phone on one half of a key board, only? LOL. Well, the passion comes in the middle of the logic.

I'm a little confused as to why that would be a problem, don't most folks wear some kind of blue tooth headset if they're transcribing the words of someone from a phone call?

I wish I could open the source files for the Infinity Ergodox case. I can open the stl files for the original Ergodox just fine :'(

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2922 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:07:43 »

In my case, no phone is involved, but people tend to gather around my desk and we brainstorm, with me taking notes. There are a number of one-handed layouts that get you all the keys you need, on one hand, but you'll have to use a modifier, most often. For example, on my - currently very experimental - one-handed layer, the right side is available after hitting a toggle key. So "hello world" is typed like this: "OeYYo JoPYA" the shifted chars are what they'd be on the right side, assuming a Dvorak layout. I lose a number of things, like shift, backspace, and entering symbols becomes a bit of an awkward dance, but for what I need it for, it works remarkably well, and will improve as I get more comfortable with the keyboard, and tweak the layout further.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #2923 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:15:04 »
HHKB layout is garbage.

Full layout with corners for life

Offline pwade3

« Reply #2924 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:22:42 »
Blackwidow tournament edition is a nice keyboard

Two of my coworkers have one and they both seem to be very happy with them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2925 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:50:01 »

In my case, no phone is involved, but people tend to gather around my desk and we brainstorm, with me taking notes. There are a number of one-handed layouts that get you all the keys you need, on one hand, but you'll have to use a modifier, most often. For example, on my - currently very experimental - one-handed layer, the right side is available after hitting a toggle key. So "hello world" is typed like this: "OeYYo JoPYA" the shifted chars are what they'd be on the right side, assuming a Dvorak layout. I lose a number of things, like shift, backspace, and entering symbols becomes a bit of an awkward dance, but for what I need it for, it works remarkably well, and will improve as I get more comfortable with the keyboard, and tweak the layout further.

Get a Matias keyboard for six hundred dollars.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2926 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:13:16 »

No, thanks. My $300 ErgoDox EZ is perfectly adequate for the task, and I can always switch back to two-handed mode, once the people go away.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2927 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:15:10 »

No, thanks. My $300 ErgoDox EZ is perfectly adequate for the task, and I can always switch back to two-handed mode, once the people go away.

Sick hundred dolla are too much dolla, I always like the concept of the Matias half, but I do not understand the logic of the pricing scheme, it should cost under $30 bucks to manufacture.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2928 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 09:38:16 »
Supply/demand.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2929 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:26:28 »
Supply/demand.

I suppose the M-Half does have no demand or very low; thus, the high price is to recover tooling costs as soon as possible, so each buyer may be sharing a significant amount of the investment for molds and assembly fixtures.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2930 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:57:58 »
More like keeping the supply, i.e. production running. IIRC it used to be cheaper back when there was more demand (note that the halfkeyboard is nothing new).

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2931 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:11:35 »

As soon as Kenisis can get the mech Freestyle out, I'll likely snag one and try to build a case for it to turn it into basically an MS Ergo board with MX compatible switches.  If MS ever made one, I'd buy at least two or three to make sure I always have one ready to use.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #2932 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 03:54:07 »
I'm gonna be properly unpopular here and say that I love my Apple MB110LL/B. I've tried out the Razor Mechanical Gaming Keyboards and I feel that the key travel is far too much. The Apple has the perfect feel for my fingers.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2933 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:47:05 »
I'm gonna be properly unpopular here and say that I love my Apple MB110LL/B. I've tried out the Razor Mechanical Gaming Keyboards and I feel that the key travel is far too much. The Apple has the perfect feel for my fingers.

Show Image

I mean yeah. If you hate your finger tips this keyboard is perfect.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2934 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:48:42 »
at knightjp: If you are happy with an out of the shelf apple keyboard, it does not make sense that you invest time in a site devoted to the input devices you do not need, nor like. I'd say, the comment is not unpopular, it is just insane, or more precisely, it is schizophrenic. (schizophrenia: a mental disorder characterized by an abnormal interpretation of reality, a mix of hallucinations and delusions).

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2935 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:56:36 »

Show Image

Why are you here again?
LOL

Sent from my fingers at a local payphone

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2936 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 08:00:48 »
at knightjp: If you are happy with an out of the shelf apple keyboard, it does not make sense that you invest time in a site devoted to the input devices you do not need, nor like. I'd say, the comment is not unpopular, it is just insane, or more precisely, it is schizophrenic. (schizophrenia: a mental disorder characterized by an abnormal interpretation of reality, a mix of hallucinations and delusions).

In light of this, I would like to share another possibly unpopular opinion of mine: it is entirely okay to be enthusiastic about keyboards, admire all the good stuff on here and elsewhere, yet, still prefer non-mechs. My wife, for example, loves when I babble about keyboards, show them pictures I saw here, describe how I tweaked my ErgoDox firmware today, what I plan to do next with it, and so on. She is even happy to offer insight, as an outside observer, and many a times, she saw things in my ideas I did not, and that was incredibly helpful.

Yet, she'd never type on a mech. It's not her thing, and that little typing she does, is more comfortable for her on a rubberdome or touch-screen keyboard. That does not change, or lower her interest in how I and other people use their keyboards. She has no interest in learning to touch-type, she'll hunt and peck forever, and that's fine. For her, mechs have an awful lot of key travel, because she'll mash the keys and bottom out as on a rubberdome. And the sound! No amount of lube, o-rings or anything will make a mech as quiet as her touchscreen keyboard (which she uses with one hand mostly, anyway).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2937 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 08:41:16 »

In light of this, I would like to share another possibly unpopular opinion of mine: it is entirely okay to be enthusiastic about keyboards, admire all the good stuff on here and elsewhere, yet, still prefer non-mechs. My wife, for example, loves when I babble about keyboards, show them pictures I saw here, describe how I tweaked my ErgoDox firmware today, what I plan to do next with it, and so on. She is even happy to offer insight, as an outside observer, and many a times, she saw things in my ideas I did not, and that was incredibly helpful.

Yet, she'd never type on a mech. It's not her thing, and that little typing she does, is more comfortable for her on a rubberdome or touch-screen keyboard. That does not change, or lower her interest in how I and other people use their keyboards. She has no interest in learning to touch-type, she'll hunt and peck forever, and that's fine. For her, mechs have an awful lot of key travel, because she'll mash the keys and bottom out as on a rubberdome. And the sound! No amount of lube, o-rings or anything will make a mech as quiet as her touchscreen keyboard (which she uses with one hand mostly, anyway).

A "thoughtful" explanation on her "weird" behavior: She loves you.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2938 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 08:50:41 »

Doesn't change the fact that there are reasons one can be enthusiastic about a hobby, while not having that hobby herself. Another example: I love reading about custom keyboards, seeing pictures, build logs and whatnot. Yet, I have absolutely no desire to build anything, even though the best threads I read on here, are about building. I have watched more build videos I can count. But there's no way I'd build anything myself. Nor do I understand why other people find it interesting - but I'm glad they do, because they provide me with hours of entertainment.

In a similar way, someone who prefers non-mechs may still enjoy looking at the mech world from outside. Like you look at, say, fish, without the desire to become one. Or athletics, without any motivation to do more than walk to work.

What I'm trying to say, is that you can be a fan of a hobby, without having the same hobby yourself. And there's nothing wrong or strange with that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2939 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 09:07:48 »

Doesn't change the fact that there are reasons one can be enthusiastic about a hobby, while not having that hobby herself. Another example: I love reading about custom keyboards, seeing pictures, build logs and whatnot. Yet, I have absolutely no desire to build anything, even though the best threads I read on here, are about building. I have watched more build videos I can count. But there's no way I'd build anything myself. Nor do I understand why other people find it interesting - but I'm glad they do, because they provide me with hours of entertainment.

In a similar way, someone who prefers non-mechs may still enjoy looking at the mech world from outside. Like you look at, say, fish, without the desire to become one. Or athletics, without any motivation to do more than walk to work.

What I'm trying to say, is that you can be a fan of a hobby, without having the same hobby yourself. And there's nothing wrong or strange with that.

You should agree that your wife example just demonstrates her interest in you, not in the hobby, she will be interested in anything that interests you, because of you. In the other hand, different levels of involvement in a hobby are always there and can live together in harmony, in mechanicals, it is easy to recognized the user, the collector and the maker, maybe, even a voyeur; but, while the first three are actual keyboard aficionados, just with different levels of involvement, the fourth has some sort of insanity involved, a similar kind, to that of males that are interest in women heels. :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2940 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 09:11:06 »
I get it.

I'm a fan of stanced cars but I personally wouldn't do it to my own car.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2941 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:24:03 »
the model m is overrated.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #2942 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 13:01:39 »
Model F are overrated.  Beamsprings are overrated.  Topre are overrated.

/thread :P
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2943 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 13:28:04 »
I was literally going to post that "Buckling springs are overrated" but you guys beat me to it.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2944 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:28:36 »
Unpopular opinions:
- I DO NOT want the loudest keyboard possible so I sound like the computer equivalent of Harley riders with huge exhausts farting down the street.
- I want a keyboard I can use around other people.
- I don't care if the keyboard costs $5 or $200, as long as it's of benefit to me.
- I don't even care if it's blue, red, pink, green or black.

This is what I think mechanical keyboard conventions are like:
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2945 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:36:20 »
Topre are underrated.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2946 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:37:22 »
Topre are underrated.

This is not unpopular, it is just funny, joke funny.  :))

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2947 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 14:07:45 »
Topre are underrated.

Ok.
I thought case mounting is huge compromise to the HHKB construction philosophy. They should be PCB monuted, but conspiracy of Topre can't allow it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 May 2016, 14:09:42 by HeeCh2ei »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2948 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 14:20:43 »
Topre are underrated.

Ok.
I thought case mounting is huge compromise to the HHKB construction philosophy. They should be PCB monuted, but conspiracy of Topre can't allow it.

And now exactly would you pcb mount topre domes?

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2949 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 14:26:16 »
Topre are underrated.

Ok.

And now exactly would you pcb mount topre domes?

In the edges of the slider housing there will be metal pins, which simply soldered into the pcb.
Or the same way as cherry pcb stabilizers - the screws.