Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268634 times)

Offline QuincyJones

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #2950 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 10:51:08 »
And now exactly would you pcb mount topre domes?

With gaffer tape ob duh. There ain't nothing that gaffer tape can't stick together
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2951 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 09:48:18 »
I think AZERTY layout has its roots in the AZERbaijan and this is why they sounds similar.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2952 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 12:21:31 »
If you want to make a space-saving keyboard you should trim the padding to make it a space-saving keyboard. I can understand the padding of vintage keyboards but a keyboard made in 2016 shouldn't have MORE padding in the design if it's a 'space-saving' model. DSI..

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2953 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:00:02 »
"space saving keyboards" are a great way of selling less for more. give it a new name, market it as being hip and voila $$$$
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2954 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:24:11 »
"space saving keyboards" are a great way of selling less for more. give it a new name, market it as being hip and voila $$$$
Are there any upcoming trends on the space wasting keyboards?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2955 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:35:57 »

The space wasting keyboard.
Just a desk with a keyboard built into it.
Only it has a slight angle, and renders the desk basically useless.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2956 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:45:05 »
The Ultra Compact Modern Case F62 Model F Keyboard – “Kishsaver” looks good imo

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2957 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:46:09 »

Specialty manufacturers love selling less for more.

Another popular strategy: take a keyboard, remove some of the features commonly mentioned in "gamer" marketing, add nothing whatsoever in return, increase the price, sell to "enthusiasts," and laugh all the way to the bank as they aim to defend their purchases on the basis of "quality".
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2958 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 16:51:29 »
Another popular strategy: take a keyboard, remove some of the features commonly mentioned in "gamer" marketing, add nothing whatsoever in return, increase the price, sell to "enthusiasts," and laugh all the way to the bank as they aim to defend their purchases on the basis of "quality".

*cough*ducky?*cough*
(please like me)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2959 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 19:40:01 »
cherry sucks ass

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2960 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 19:41:37 »
The Ultra Compact Modern Case F62 Model F Keyboard – “Kishsaver” looks good imo
I dont think this is unpopular, I like it too

Offline Data

« Reply #2961 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:01:52 »

The space wasting keyboard.
Just a desk with a keyboard built into it.
Only it has a slight angle, and renders the desk basically useless.

BRB, patenting this.  :P

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #2962 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:26:11 »
I think a 30% keyboard is a feasible everyday keyboard to use. 

(26 letters, Enter, FN, Backspace, Space, Shift, and everything else on FN layers.)

Offline Data

« Reply #2963 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:29:13 »

(26 letters, Enter, FN, Backspace, Space, Shift, and everything else on FN layers.)

Pure evil.

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2964 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:38:43 »

Pure evil.

That's pretty much all I really use. :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2965 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:46:26 »

I've thought about this, but realistically, it doesn't make sense.

Punctuation is too common to be skipped, at least two of them are way too common.
OTOH, Enter and Backspace could be skipped—you can use Control sequences in software instead, provided the software isn't MS Windows.
That puts you to 28 symbols, spacebar and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Fn modifiers. Realistically though, the modifiers should be mirrored to avoid weird hand contortions. Moreover, there should be more modifiers to get all expected symbols/functions: if you count only non-letter symbols present on US QWERTY's primary layer, that's already ~26 (digits + special punctuation).
However, with enough chording it's getting closer to a chording keyboard. Then you don't even need one key per letter.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2966 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:53:52 »

Thats disgusting. I have trouble using my 60% every day :))

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2967 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:05:21 »

I've thought about this, but realistically, it doesn't make sense.

Punctuation is too common to be skipped, at least two of them are way too common.
OTOH, Enter and Backspace could be skipped—you can use Control sequences in software instead, provided the software isn't MS Windows.
That puts you to 28 symbols, spacebar and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Fn modifiers. Realistically though, the modifiers should be mirrored to avoid weird hand contortions. Moreover, there should be more modifiers to get all expected symbols/functions: if you count only non-letter symbols present on US QWERTY's primary layer, that's already ~26 (digits + special punctuation).
However, with enough chording it's getting closer to a chording keyboard. Then you don't even need one key per letter.

Different strokes for different folks. I was thinking about just using it with multiple layers, to hell with ergonomics. Punctuation on layer 2, numpad and Function keys on layer 3, with a function layer lock on layer 2 and 3.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2968 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:11:49 »
Sure, if your end goal is a torture device, it's a decent concept, although I believe, that it can be "improved"… For example, by using the TNWMLC symbol arrangement.

In that case, Unpopular Opinions is the right place for this.

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2969 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:16:12 »
Sure, if your end goal is a torture device, it's a decent concept, although I believe, that it can be "improved"… For example, by using the TNWMLC symbol arrangement.

I do think the one-handed concept that Matias uses is a good start to building a 30% though, it's actually where I got the idea.

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2970 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:24:59 »
30%
I think somehow someone make a telegraph key keyboard. Pure minimalistic 1% keyboard.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2971 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:32:34 »

I do think the one-handed concept that Matias uses is a good start to building a 30% though, it's actually where I got the idea.
Matias half-QWERTY doesn't have 1 key per letter.

Single-hand Maltron is closer, but it obviously has the extra keypad outside the keywell, because computer systems expect the availability of those keys.

Also, all you technically need is something like a 6row tenkey, and Unicode input.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2972 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:33:32 »
30%
I think somehow someone make a telegraph key keyboard. Pure minimalistic 1% keyboard.

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2973 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:35:30 »

Single-hand Maltron is closer, but it obviously has the extra keypad outside the keywell, because computer systems expect the availability of those keys.

Also, all you technically need is something like a 6row tenkey, and Unicode input.
Yep, at this point I'm looking at all the ways I can do this and it's not 100% feasible. I was considering the numpad layer to be sideways on the keyboard, so it'd be completely janky to use, but it'd probably make a pretty proof of concept.

Offline Data

« Reply #2974 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:37:15 »

Yep, at this point I'm looking at all the ways I can do this and it's not 100% feasible. I was considering the numpad layer to be sideways on the keyboard, so it'd be completely janky to use, but it'd probably make a pretty proof of concept.

GH36 might be enough keys (6x6 matrix).  I hate to think about it anymore than that because it's pure evil.

Edit: I hate you for making me think about this.  >:D

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 June 2016, 08:52:03 by Data »

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2975 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:13:25 »
30%

Show Image

It is 3 times more keys and have a terrible bezel.

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2976 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:16:05 »

GH36 might be enough keys (6x6 matrix).  I hate to think about it anymore than that because it's pure evil.

Show Image

I'm so sorry. Do we have a therapy room for you? Somewhere? Anywhere?

Offline Data

« Reply #2977 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:30:42 »
More

Show Image

I'm going back to the GH-122 thread to hang out with people who love comically-oversized keyboards.

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2978 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:41:11 »
More

Show Image

I'm going back to the GH-122 thread to hang out with people who love comically-oversized keyboards.

If you can find it in your heart,  I do like comically oversized keyboards. I just have these flights of fancies with small. I just want a reason to get super blacks and put them on a keyboard. Q_Q. But super blacks are so rare...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2979 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 12:21:08 »
More

Show Image

If you can find it in your heart,  I do like comically oversized keyboards. I just have these flights of fancies with small. I just want a reason to get super blacks and put them on a keyboard. Q_Q. But super blacks are so rare...

The world needs more Model F 122/GH-122 keyboards

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2980 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 16:51:42 »

Well, we did have the GH-122 PCB IC that's shipping out.  If they do a fully assembled board, I'd definitely consider buying one.  An ANSI 122 board would be awesome.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2981 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 17:53:20 »
slightly on topic - is it possible to buy a board of keys with a usb socket on the end which is programmable? eg 8 rows of keys x 8
(please like me)

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2982 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 18:40:23 »
slightly on topic - is it possible to buy a board of keys with a usb socket on the end which is programmable? eg 8 rows of keys x 8

I don't think so? I haven't seen any ICs or GBs either here or on the chinese forums that were 8x8. I've only seen numpads in those configurations, and even those are hard to find.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2983 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 18:49:35 »

I don't think so? I haven't seen any ICs or GBs either here or on the chinese forums that were 8x8. I've only seen numpads in those configurations, and even those are hard to find.

Genovation controlpads are pretty easy to find. Finding a contropad with 64 keys might take some digging around but I'm sure one will turn up. Unless you're looking for an Ableton Live controller, those are pretty easy to find in 8x8. I guess some of the Ableton Live controllers are 64 + 16 keys but I digress

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2984 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 20:01:38 »
Well, I'm not fussed if it is 8x8, just as long as there's a decent enough amount of keys to be useful for macros and the like (4x4 and upwards I guess). It would be perfect if it had enough space to hack.

If not, I may look into making one.
(please like me)

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2985 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 01:14:54 »

I remember trying to cram a board into a small layout, I think with one FN layer you need at least 46 keys or something like that.

EDIT: 45 to have every key on a TLK represented once, and with nothing on Fn+mods so you can do Alt+F4 and stuff. If you can part with a single key(like Menu), you can turn that into 44.
Code: [Select]
["Esc","Q\n\n\n\n1","W\n\n\n\n2","E\n\n\n\n3","R\n\n\n\n4","T\n\n\n\n5","Y\n\n\n\n6","U\n\n\n\n7","I\n\n\n\n8","O\n\n\n\n9","P\n\n\n\n0","{\n[\n\n\n-","}\n]\n\n\n=","|\n\\\n\n\n~"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl","A\n\n\n\nInsert","S\n\n\n\nHome","D\n\n\n\nPgDn","F\n\n\n\nPgUp","G\n\n\n\nEnd","H\n\n\n\n←","J\n\n\n\n↓","K\n\n\n\n↑","L\n\n\n\n→",":\n;\n\n\nF11","\"\n'\n\n\nF12",{w:1.75},"Enter\n\n\n\nTab"],
[{w:1.75},"Shift","Z\n\n\n\nF1","X\n\n\n\nF2","C\n\n\n\nF3","V\n\n\n\nF4","B\n\n\n\nF5","N\n\n\n\nF6","M\n\n\n\nF7","<\n,\n\n\nF8",">\n.\n\n\nF9","?\n/\n\n\nF10",{w:2.25},"Caps Lock\n\n\n\nScrollLk"],
[{x:1.25,w:1.5},"Super",{w:1.5},"Alt",{a:7,w:2},"\n\n\n\nPrint Screen",{a:4,w:2},"Backspace\n\n\n\nDelete",{w:1.5},"Fn",{w:1.5},"Menu\n\n\n\nPause"]

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 02:05:53 by KRKS »
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2986 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 06:50:37 »

I remember trying to cram a board into a small layout, I think with one FN layer you need at least 46 keys or something like that.

EDIT: 45 to have every key on a TLK represented once, and with nothing on Fn+mods so you can do Alt+F4 and stuff. If you can part with a single key(like Menu), you can turn that into 44.
Code: [Select]
["Esc","Q\n\n\n\n1","W\n\n\n\n2","E\n\n\n\n3","R\n\n\n\n4","T\n\n\n\n5","Y\n\n\n\n6","U\n\n\n\n7","I\n\n\n\n8","O\n\n\n\n9","P\n\n\n\n0","{\n[\n\n\n-","}\n]\n\n\n=","|\n\\\n\n\n~"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl","A\n\n\n\nInsert","S\n\n\n\nHome","D\n\n\n\nPgDn","F\n\n\n\nPgUp","G\n\n\n\nEnd","H\n\n\n\n←","J\n\n\n\n↓","K\n\n\n\n↑","L\n\n\n\n→",":\n;\n\n\nF11","\"\n'\n\n\nF12",{w:1.75},"Enter\n\n\n\nTab"],
[{w:1.75},"Shift","Z\n\n\n\nF1","X\n\n\n\nF2","C\n\n\n\nF3","V\n\n\n\nF4","B\n\n\n\nF5","N\n\n\n\nF6","M\n\n\n\nF7","<\n,\n\n\nF8",">\n.\n\n\nF9","?\n/\n\n\nF10",{w:2.25},"Caps Lock\n\n\n\nScrollLk"],
[{x:1.25,w:1.5},"Super",{w:1.5},"Alt",{a:7,w:2},"\n\n\n\nPrint Screen",{a:4,w:2},"Backspace\n\n\n\nDelete",{w:1.5},"Fn",{w:1.5},"Menu\n\n\n\nPause"]

I'd be going multiple layers, which is the only way I'd think it'd work,and basing it on the weird layout where there's no media and arrow keys, but a numpad instead. I don't remember the technical term for it though. D:

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #2987 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 08:26:26 »
I don't remember the technical term for it though. D:

I believe the word you're looking for is "retarded" or maybe it's "fu*king retarded"?
(please like me)

Offline zcmy

« Reply #2988 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 08:31:23 »
I don't remember the technical term for it though. D:

I believe the word you're looking for is "retarded" or maybe it's "fu*king retarded"?

It is retarded, but I've already gone too far down this path to back off. I'll honestly forget in 2 or so weeks about ever saying anything about the 30%. 

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2989 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 09:33:45 »
Cherry MX Red switches while great for gaming are one of the worst switches for typing in existence. 

Between them being too easy to actuate and the Cherry variant in particular feeling scratchy and insanely easy to bottom out on being fairly uncomfortable due to this....unless you have feathers for fingers i see MX Reds as useless for anything but pure gaming.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2990 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:28:16 »
Cherry MX Red switches while great for gaming are one of the worst switches for typing in existence. 

Between them being too easy to actuate and the Cherry variant in particular feeling scratchy and insanely easy to bottom out on being fairly uncomfortable due to this....unless you have feathers for fingers i see MX Reds as useless for anything but pure gaming.
All of you who describe reds as scratchy just have a switches from a bad batch.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #2991 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:39:50 »

I've never had an issue with scratchiness, but I also bottom out the majority of my keystrokes on all switches I've tried (including blacks and clears), so I suppose I just don't feel it. I figured the people complaining about the scratchiness must have really sensitive fingers, or type extremely lightly and slowly.

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2992 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:50:57 »

I've never had an issue with scratchiness, but I also bottom out the majority of my keystrokes on all switches I've tried (including blacks and clears), so I suppose I just don't feel it. I figured the people complaining about the scratchiness must have really sensitive fingers, or type extremely lightly and slowly.

I always deliberately bottom out reds, there is no point to try not to do it. And I use it in rotation with topre board without any problem in smoothness.
Few reds on board were scratchy, especially when be pressed fast. I think a legs and slider sides are ok and the problem is in the springs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:53:11 by HeeCh2ei »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2993 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:56:44 »

I have tried Reds on several boards not limited to but including.

Corsair K65 RGB
KUL 87 ES
pok3r
Ganss G.S 87
Numerous loose switches

IN any and all cases they have felt scratchy to me honestly, even cheaper switches with heavier springs like Outemu blacks felt smoother.  But of course as with anything it's subjective and YMMV.  But i have yet to feel a red i consider smooth from Cherry (I have not yet used Gateron reds aside from a loose switch)

Is it possible EVERY single red iv'e tried over a period of time were all from a bad batch?  Sure...but it's far more likely my personal opinion is i just find them scratchy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:58:54 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #2994 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:10:05 »

Corsair K65 RGB
KUL 87 ES
pok3r
Ganss G.S 87
Numerous loose switches

IN any and all cases they have felt scratchy to me honestly, even cheaper switches with heavier springs like Outemu blacks felt smoother.  But of course as with anything it's subjective and YMMV.  But i have yet to feel a red i consider smooth from Cherry (I have not yet used Gateron reds aside from a loose switch)

Is it possible EVERY single red iv'e tried over a period of time were all from a bad batch?  Sure...but it's far more likely my personal opinion is i just find them scratchy.

Are they feel scratchy due to the rough surface of slider or a spring? Are they more scratchy if you pushed the keys fast or slow?

Or maybe not?
Maybe bad batches is not that rare thing and most of it is bad and only few is ok?
Or maybe something changed in manufacturing processes?
There is only two theories I have.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:15:36 by HeeCh2ei »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2995 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:22:11 »

Disagreement here.  I love MX reds for typing.  I use an MX red board full time at home and would eventually love a good split/tented board with reds.  Blacks were too heavy and caused pain and I don't care for tactility in my switches so blues are out.  Browns aren't bad and I rather enjoy the Romer-G switches for but now, reds are my go-to switch.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2996 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 13:03:53 »

Corsair K65 RGB
KUL 87 ES
pok3r
Ganss G.S 87
Numerous loose switches

Are they feel scratchy due to the rough surface of slider or a spring? Are they more scratchy if you pushed the keys fast or slow?

Or maybe not?
Maybe bad batches is not that rare thing and most of it is bad and only few is ok?

Given how much smoother Gateron switches have been compared to their cherry counterparts i'm quite curious to use and try Gateron reds as i'd be willing to be it's a Cherry thing.  Even the kailh reds i have used felt a little better than the Cherry switches (Though more inconsistent)

Far as your question they definitely feel scratchier when i pushed them slower but it was noticeable typing at full speed.  The only time i have ever enjoyed reds (and unlikely to change) is from a pure gaming standpoint.  Constantly bottoming out on a switch due to it being so light with no tactility is far from comfortable either.

On a side note for what it's worth i also feel Cherry MX Blacks are very scratchy and their counterparts from Outemu and Gateron were far far smoother.  The only reason i don't mind blacks as much is i don't bottom out on them and when some 0.4 O-Rings combined with the stiffer force they are far more tolerable for myself at least.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2997 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 13:10:03 »

Corsair K65 RGB
KUL 87 ES
pok3r
Ganss G.S 87
Numerous loose switches

Or maybe not?

Given how much smoother Gateron switches have been compared to their cherry counterparts i'm quite curious to use and try Gateron reds as i'd be willing to be it's a Cherry thing.  Even the kailh reds i have used felt a little better than the Cherry switches (Though more inconsistent)

Far as your question they definitely feel scratchier when i pushed them slower but it was noticeable typing at full speed.  The only time i have ever enjoyed reds (and unlikely to change) is from a pure gaming standpoint.  Constantly bottoming out on a switch due to it being so light with no tactility is far from comfortable either.

On a side note for what it's worth i also feel Cherry MX Blacks are very scratchy and their counterparts from Outemu and Gateron were far far smoother.  The only reason i don't mind blacks as much is i don't bottom out on them and when some 0.4 O-Rings combined with the stiffer force they are far more tolerable for myself at least.

I'd like to try some Gateron reds as well. A handful of (LARGE) switch testers should satisfy my cravings though; I don't know how you all manage those massive keyboard collections :eek:

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #2998 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 15:25:24 »
I'm on Gateron Brown switches, having come from Cherry MX Blues, and I'm beginning to think the 'smoothness' really just does not matter on anything but linear switches.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2999 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 15:32:22 »
I'm on Gateron Brown switches, having come from Cherry MX Blues, and I'm beginning to think the 'smoothness' really just does not matter on anything but linear switches.

I can definitely feel a very noticeable difference in Cherry Blues vs Gateron blues personally.
Current Daily Driver/s