Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268628 times)

Offline cheddarbek

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3000 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 17:59:51 »
I'm on Gateron Brown switches, having come from Cherry MX Blues, and I'm beginning to think the 'smoothness' really just does not matter on anything but linear switches.

I can definitely feel a very noticeable difference in Cherry Blues vs Gateron blues personally.
Huge difference between kaihl blues and gaterons in my opinion. Gaterons were way smoother. That being said they're both still ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3001 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:16:15 »
I'm actually wanting to try out some Gateron reds.  Any 75% boards or TKL around with them?  No desire to touch anything smaller than a 75% and I've already got a nice Ducky full-size.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #3002 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:32:05 »
I'm actually wanting to try out some Gateron reds.  Any 75% boards or TKL around with them?  No desire to touch anything smaller than a 75% and I've already got a nice Ducky full-size.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1654  If you still insist on having useless keys :p  TKL sized backlit W/ Gateron Reds under 90$ US.

Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #3003 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:50:41 »

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1654  If you still insist on having useless keys :p  TKL sized backlit W/ Gateron Reds under 90$ US.

Is it just me, or does that seem really light for an "Aluminum Cover" keyboard?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3004 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:07:37 »

Winkeyless.kr has that B.Mini (75%) that you can order with Gateron Reds. I think the Noppoo Choc Mini (75%) is also available with Gateron Reds but I'm not sure of where to get it. I'd imagine that Massdrop is the best source for keyboards that ship out with Gaterons on the plate/PCB. The Choc Mini listings on Amazon (branded as Noppoo switches) are actually Gaote switches, definitely not Gaterons.

In lieu of veering from the topic, I think the Noppoo Choc Mini (POM) should be considered more often. If you have long nails the pad printed side legends could scrape off after while, but the pros outweigh the cons imo. Well, maybe more of an entry board since the layout is not exactly compatible with universal sets (5.5u spacebar? wth?) that include the common 75% key sizes (geekkeys, etc.)..

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3005 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 20:00:00 »
Yeah 75% fully built boards have been hard to come by lately.  Seems the regular Vortex / Noppoo boards aren't around now that I'm out for one.  Pity the 84-key that's on Massdrop right now isn't Gateron.  Just Kailh switches.  Though I'm still tempted.

I'll have to poke around and see what I can get in Gateron linear switches.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #3006 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 17:33:53 »
My Gateron browns are noticeably more scratchy then my Cherry browns. They're more tactile as well though, which is nice
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3007 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 17:46:55 »

That's not bad and those keys are rather useful to me, particularly when gaming or with closing browser tabs (Ctrl F4 ftw) when I have stuff mapped to the F keys.  Just with the VE.A had been less expensive.  I'd have been all over it.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #3008 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:26:52 »
- It's usually cheaper to buy an old keyboard with MX compatible keycaps than to buy a new set
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3009 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 21:15:05 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:55 by alienman82 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3010 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 21:21:33 »
- It's usually cheaper to buy an old keyboard with MX compatible keycaps than to buy a new set

and old caps are better.  OG cherry > GMK all day everyday

I can confirm by first hand experience that OG Cherry sets are far better than brand new GMK's.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #3011 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:42:06 »

I can confirm by first hand experience that OG Cherry sets are far better than brand new GMK's.

i have seen them, and i'd agree that OG Cherry have some (very) nice keycaps. never tried GMK tho.
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline swagkash

• ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี
« Reply #3012 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 06:41:45 »
i like leaving pizza grease on my keyboard. it gives me that extra boost in speed needed in this competitive world of typing really fast.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #3013 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 07:09:28 »
i like leaving pizza grease on my keyboard. it gives me that extra boost in speed needed in this competitive world of typing really fast.

Pros only eat cold pizza.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3014 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 10:03:15 »

Yeah, totally agree, though think this is pretty commonly accepted as fact.

GMK is great and easily the best modern Cherry Profile caps being made still, but you cant top those OG cherry sets.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Malenky

« Reply #3015 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 01:04:02 »
GMK uses the original Cherry tooling and moulds right? I feel like the GMK sets I have are almost identical to the OG Cherry sets I have.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3016 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 01:07:01 »
i think i've mentioned this before, but

i really don't like stormtrooper hhkbs, at all

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3017 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 05:16:59 »
Really not a fan of Costar Stabilizers at all

Cherry Stablizers can be mushy depending on the board in question however you can clip cherry stabs if it bothers you that much.  Personally i actually like the distinguishing feel between the alphas and modifiers.

Costar though just feels and sounds rattly like something is very out of place or not working right in a machine, in addition to being a PITA changing keycaps on something i do quite often.

I'm at the point now i actively go out of my way to avoid boards that use Costar stabilizers
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3018 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 05:21:11 »
Just got my first clack - they're massively overhyped and not worth it at all.

Offline Data

« Reply #3019 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 07:24:13 »

Prepare your anus.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3020 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 07:54:18 »

You just have discovered the boiled water, Eureka!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3021 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:05:02 »
GMK uses the original Cherry tooling and moulds right?

Sure, they use the same molds.  But are the plastic formulations exactly the same?  I can just about guarantee you that they are not.  And molds wear, eventually requiring replacement.  Markets change, dictating price over quality.  Customer needs shift over time.  These things are rarely if ever constant over a 30 year time frame.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3022 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:07:45 »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i feel i must ask the following.

Clacks unlike say buying into a mystery product...you know what it looks like beforehand..you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.  So what in essence is over hyped about it that led to your disappointment? I'm actually quite curious.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3023 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:13:02 »

Clacks unlike say buying into a mystery product...you know what it looks like beforehand..you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.  So what in essence is over hyped about it that led to your disappointment? I'm actually quite curious.
Sometimes you can't appreciate or dislike a thing until you put your hands on it.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3024 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:20:30 »

Sometimes you can't appreciate or dislike a thing until you put your hands on it.

With certain things like say different switches i would agree entirely.  But you can't really "Experience" An artisan keycap...you are either buying it for looks,for collection or be "that guy" who buys to resell.

Which is why i am very curious about the post authors thoughts as to why he/she thinks the way they do.  It's all opinion and non are invalid i'm just curious as to specifics.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3025 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:49:33 »
GMK uses the original Cherry tooling and moulds right? I feel like the GMK sets I have are almost identical to the OG Cherry sets I have.

They share the design; therefore, they should be similar, but not the same. After many years working in manufacturing, I know well, that the molds have to be replaced, or at least overhauled after some years, or certain thousands of injection cycles and each run is not exactly the same as the previous and worn off cavities will make the parts actually different, even if the differences cannot be seen by the untrained eye.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3026 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:28:13 »
But you can't really "Experience" An artisan keycap...you are either buying it for looks,for collection or be "that guy" who buys to resell.

I disagree entirely.  I had little interest in Clacks until I actually had one in hand and could feel it.  The sculpt is just so perfectly textured to the touch, it's a real joy to interact with and use.  Skulls aren't a huge interest of mine, but Clack has put together a perfectly sculpted cap and I didn't realize that until putting it on a board and touching it. 

YMMV  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3027 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:52:18 »
But you can't really "Experience" An artisan keycap...you are either buying it for looks,for collection or be "that guy" who buys to resell.

I disagree entirely.  I had little interest in Clacks until I actually had one in hand and could feel it.  The sculpt is just so perfectly textured to the touch, it's a real joy to interact with and use.  Skulls aren't a huge interest of mine, but Clack has put together a perfectly sculpted cap and I didn't realize that until putting it on a board and touching it. 

YMMV  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YMMV of course as with much else in the world of mechanical keyboards :p  Given that i personally use artisans on keys i nearly never ever use i just personally feel as though one doesn't "Experience" an artisan in the same way for example one experiences a mechanical switch.

But i see your point.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3028 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:55:40 »

YMMV  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YMMV of course as with much else in the world of mechanical keyboards :p  Given that i personally use artisans on keys i nearly never ever use i just personally feel as though one doesn't "Experience" an artisan in the same way for example one experiences a mechanical switch.

But i see your point.

Oh absolutely.  Your finger isn't resting on the key, for example.  But it did introduce me to the idea of a sculpted cap as being more than just a pretty thing to look at - they can feel nice too!  :D  Until that point, the only caps I had used that were similar in that sense were binge's WASDson caps.  And to me, that's just all that much more impressive of a design.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3029 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:57:04 »

YMMV  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But i see your point.

From personal experience, I think that Rama's Wave aluminum caps, Bro's BBv2s, and Nightcap's Half-shells are my favorite artisans that don't detract from the usability of the key they are on.  I'm sure there are plenty more out there, but those three are the ones that come to mind for me.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3030 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:51:28 »

With certain things like say different switches i would agree entirely.  But you can't really "Experience" An artisan keycap...you are either buying it for looks,for collection or be "that guy" who buys to resell.

Which is why i am very curious about the post authors thoughts as to why he/she thinks the way they do.  It's all opinion and non are invalid i'm just curious as to specifics.

Well it turns out I am that guy that has to have it in my hands. Take the Purple Haze keywok, I thought it'd be alright but I had to see. And holy **** was I blown away, it basically isn't going to leave my hands. Same with the V2, it's much better in person. Some colorways just pop more in person, such as my Unicorn Blood or Jungle Love (Reaper).

The 3D Clack? Disappointing. Not really what I expected from the amount of hype and stupidly high prices. I however will be selling it on, as I just don't want it. It looks cool but that's it. I can appreciate the colors from pictues and I don't feel any better about owning one. It belongs in someone else's hands.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #3031 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 13:27:55 »
My Gateron browns are noticeably more scratchy then my Cherry browns. They're more tactile as well though, which is nice

Can confirm. Wanted to try it out and the scratchiness is very noticeable.

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #3032 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 12:45:25 »
After having a work keyboard with Matias Quiet Click switches and an ergonomically RealForce 87U at home for the past few months...

...I've, uh, decided I like the Matias switches more. And I've switched to a Mini Tactile Pro (with the "non-quiet" Matias switches) at home now. I think I may like those a little more than the MQC switches, although they're sure not quiet. They're quieter, and better-feeling, than the Alps clones that Matias was using in their previous generation, though.

I like Topre switches better than any of the Cherry switches I've tried, with the possible exception of the clears. (I haven't tried anything but stock MX switches, though.) That's not an unpopular opinion, but the Topres just...don't quite do it for me. Maybe if I'd gone with uniform 45g or 55g weights, I'd have a different opinion, but the Matias switches are as close to personal end game as I'm likely to get. (Famous last words.)
Realforce 87U / Unicomp SSM / KUL-87 MX Clear / Matias TP3 / CODE MX Green

Offline robbles

« Reply #3033 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 13:31:25 »
I know everyone says Topre is **** for gaming, but I REALLY like my lubed HHKB for playing FPS and shmups. The tactile bump gives you great response for your actuation and the lube allows you to make quick movements.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3034 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 13:49:27 »
After having a work keyboard with Matias Quiet Click switches and an ergonomically RealForce 87U at home for the past few months...

...I've, uh, decided I like the Matias switches more. And I've switched to a Mini Tactile Pro (with the "non-quiet" Matias switches) at home now. I think I may like those a little more than the MQC switches, although they're sure not quiet. They're quieter, and better-feeling, than the Alps clones that Matias was using in their previous generation, though.

I like Topre switches better than any of the Cherry switches I've tried, with the possible exception of the clears. (I haven't tried anything but stock MX switches, though.) That's not an unpopular opinion, but the Topres just...don't quite do it for me. Maybe if I'd gone with uniform 45g or 55g weights, I'd have a different opinion, but the Matias switches are as close to personal end game as I'm likely to get. (Famous last words.)
End game for you might possibly be Brown ALPS.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3035 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 05:47:32 »
Caps lock is the most useless key in history and everyone not swapping it for CTRL or something otherwise useful is a big dum-dum. Using a stepped capslock to hit it less is idiotic, but looks unique.

Winkey is essential if you don't do more than 90% of your work in terminals.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3036 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 10:28:52 »

Agreed! Winkeykess looks cool, but losing the GUI key is silly, especially for Mac users.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #3037 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 13:05:03 »

Agreed! Winkeykess looks cool, but losing the GUI key is silly, especially for Mac users.

LIES - AS A MANUFACTURER I WANT TO SAVE MONEY BY REMOVING KEYS AND TELLING PEOPLE IT'S COOL AND TO BE COOL YOU HAVE TO PAY A PREMIUM. GIVE ME MORE MONEY FOR LESS KEYS
(please like me)

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3038 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:26:57 »

LIES - AS A MANUFACTURER I WANT TO SAVE MONEY BY REMOVING KEYS AND TELLING PEOPLE IT'S COOL AND TO BE COOL YOU HAVE TO PAY A PREMIUM. GIVE ME MORE MONEY FOR LESS KEYS

Coming soon: HHKB SUPERLEGERRA CHALLENGE STRADALE RS3

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3039 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:28:38 »

The only thing I use GUI for is an app selector, which I could bind anywhere. But I'm not on a Mac, and my keybinds aren't completely **** :P

Nor do I work in terminals. I just make the computer serve me.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #3040 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 16:22:20 »
After a few months in this community I can say that I, unlike basically everyone else, like the color green in my keyboard. Not some dark pinetree-ish green, but something among the lines of lime green.

Offline streetwizzur

• ok
« Reply #3041 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 16:29:37 »
I really don't like clears. No matter how "ergo" they are. I think browns are much better.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3042 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 16:45:13 »
I really don't like clears. No matter how "ergo" they are. I think browns are much better.

Of course, LOL.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3043 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 21:47:25 »

When you're willing to pay hundreds of bucks for a single key button (assuming it's not encrusted with diamonds or something), how can you be surprised that you were "hyped" into it? Getting people to that point requires a huge amount of hype—not just from the person who develops the item, but from buyers and potential buyers, a certain number of whom must agree the item's worth that much. If you hadn't read, over and over, that there was something remarkably special about it—and before that, been conditioned to accept the general idea of "artisan caps"—would you have paid much more than $20 for it? (The fact that it's hand-carved would always give it some special value.)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i feel i must ask the following... Clacks unlike say buying into a mystery product...you know what it looks like beforehand..you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.  So what in essence is over hyped about it that led to your disappointment? I'm actually quite curious.

But how would you expect a small piece of plastic to feel? And when you're actually using it, you're pressing a carved-up surface rather than a smooth one—so how on earth could you discern the difference between it and any other material? Maybe I'm missing something.

Caps lock is the most useless key in history and everyone not swapping it for CTRL or something otherwise useful is a big dum-dum...

I agree about Caps Lock—but why map it to Ctrl? Two Ctrl keys isn't enough? (Personally, I think I'd map it to period, CR, CR.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3044 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:10:20 »

When you're willing to pay hundreds of bucks for a single key button (assuming it's not encrusted with diamonds or something), how can you be surprised that you were "hyped" into it? Getting people to that point requires a huge amount of hype—not just from the person who develops the item, but from buyers and potential buyers, a certain number of whom must agree the item's worth that much. If you hadn't read, over and over, that there was something remarkably special about it—and before that, been conditioned to accept the general idea of "artisan caps"—would you have paid much more than $20 for it? (The fact that it's hand-carved would always give it some special value.)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i feel i must ask the following... Clacks unlike say buying into a mystery product...you know what it looks like beforehand..you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it.  So what in essence is over hyped about it that led to your disappointment? I'm actually quite curious.

But how would you expect a small piece of plastic to feel? And when you're actually using it, you're pressing a carved-up surface rather than a smooth one—so how on earth could you discern the difference between it and any other material? Maybe I'm missing something.

Caps lock is the most useless key in history and everyone not swapping it for CTRL or something otherwise useful is a big dum-dum...

I agree about Caps Lock—but why map it to Ctrl? Two Ctrl keys isn't enough? (Personally, I think I'd map it to period, CR, CR.)

I can't speak from experience but you probably wouldn't be handling just the carved surfaces. The smooth surfaces can also reveal how much work and effort that has gone into a piece.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3045 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:14:20 »
This is obviously a whole esthetic that's beyond my comprehension.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3046 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:25:02 »
This is obviously a whole esthetic that's beyond my comprehension.

Just do you man :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3047 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 02:54:15 »
Hey, I'm just trying to be unpopular... Isn't that the idea here?

Offline supamesican

« Reply #3048 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 12:19:01 »
GOOD condition alps/clones are nicer than topre(though the hhkb layout is still my favorite for anything but gaming and tropre still > any mx)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3049 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 12:25:42 »
GOOD condition alps/clones are nicer than topre(though the hhkb layout is still my favorite for anything but gaming and tropre still > any mx)
Good condition alps are better than anything