Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268660 times)

Offline Giorgio

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3250 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 05:37:06 »
Mitsumi KPQ (eg.Unisys PCK101) hybrid switch keyboards, that you can pick up for a couple bucks in op-shops, feel like 45g silenced Topres that cost $300+.

Look familiar...
Show Image

These Mitsumi KPQ-E99YC https://is.gd/5x8KxR are sold under a few different brands, Commodore, Unisys, etc... keys are dyesub, with legends being of varying quality. Seems like the older you find them, the sharper the legend.

P.S. While looking for pictures (too lazy to snap my own), I found this http://www.elecshopper.com/mitsumi-kpq-e99yc-keyboard.html maybe it's time to empty the keyboard bins at my local thrift shops; there must be some hipsters, too cool for Topre, that still want "that feeling of oneness with cup rubber."

They need cherry mx keycaps stems....

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3251 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:15:25 »
After my maniacal phase of keyboardist life, spending money and buying all kinds of custom keycaps and cables, I just ended up selling them off, all of them, and just using my plain old boring Realforce with blank black keycaps. This is what I should have been doing from the start. Most of the custom keys with monsters and robots and **** like that are incredibly ugly anyway, I can't believe males older than 12 are buying these things.

I feel like I'm 40 in my keyboard life. You know what I mean, don't do orgies anymore or wild sex positions, just have a wife and a marriage that works. We do missionary sometimes, but that's it, nothing wild about it. I can do other things in life now. Like sleeping.

This summarizes the mental state of someone who reached the 'Endgame'.

After my last keyboard maniac phase, I sold every keyboard worthy or not-worthy to mention, and had only a ThinkPad left. With all the long wait and failures of various GB, I may have reached a partial 'Endgame' mental state before some of those merchandises actually arrive. I just need a keyboard that I feel 'home' to type on.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline drevyek

« Reply #3252 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:43:36 »
Mitsumi KPQ (eg.Unisys PCK101) hybrid switch keyboards, that you can pick up for a couple bucks in op-shops, feel like 45g silenced Topres that cost $300+.

Look familiar...
Show Image

These Mitsumi KPQ-E99YC https://is.gd/5x8KxR are sold under a few different brands, Commodore, Unisys, etc... keys are dyesub, with legends being of varying quality. Seems like the older you find them, the sharper the legend.

P.S. While looking for pictures (too lazy to snap my own), I found this http://www.elecshopper.com/mitsumi-kpq-e99yc-keyboard.html maybe it's time to empty the keyboard bins at my local thrift shops; there must be some hipsters, too cool for Topre, that still want "that feeling of oneness with cup rubber."

They need cherry mx keycaps stems....
One way to do it is to put them on a BTC F&F board.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3253 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 00:41:43 »
I don't even mind layouts with the bigass enter and 1u backspace anymore.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3254 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 08:30:09 »

1u backspace makes no sense. It is very hard to use. The minimum acceptable is 1.5u ala HHKB layout.

Offline dante

« Reply #3255 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 10:34:30 »
Low profile is the only profile!

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3256 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:21:59 »

1u backspace makes no sense. It is very hard to use. The minimum acceptable is 1.5u ala HHKB layout.

1u backspace is perfect, if its under your thumb.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3257 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 16:23:53 »
Low profile is the only profile!
gross

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3258 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:26:51 »

Of course, on your smartphone keyboard.

Or maybe if you can foot type

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:31:17 by ideus »

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3259 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:08:42 »

Or your keyboard has a thumb arc, like the Keyboardio Model 01. Or a thumb cluster. Or a split space, like the Planck, and so on. For foot typing, a pedal is much better than an 1u key, mind you.

Don't be stuck in the seventies. :P

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3260 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:35:57 »
Ortholinear is retarded

Everything but ortholinear is retardedly inefficient. Every board bigger than an Atomic/60% is a waste of space. Fite me.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3261 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:50:40 »
low profile cases are so ugly

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3262 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:51:05 »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3263 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 09:40:04 »
low profile cases are so ugly
+1
They're like barebone in my eyes but without the structurally exposed style of barebone and they still cost quite some money.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3264 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 20:42:11 »

Or your keyboard has a thumb arc, like the Keyboardio Model 01. Or a thumb cluster. Or a split space, like the Planck, and so on. For foot typing, a pedal is much better than an 1u key, mind you.

Don't be stuck in the seventies. :p

We are stuck in the past. Mechanical keyboards are a matter of the history of computing.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #3265 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 03:25:27 »
I'll tell you one of the most unpopular keyboard opinion ever: playing with WASD is a stupid mass trend, anti-ergonomic (the keys are not aligned and the middle finger sits between the W and the E), and it's just an improvised solution for those who don't have a large desk that allows your to move your keyboard to the left and use the numpad, which is the correct way to play first person games.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3266 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 04:21:54 »
Yea but--how am I suppose to access the F keys + shift/ctrl/tab/tilde/alt from the numpad? I'm not much of a CSGO player I'm more of an MMORPG kinda guy. I know of at least one game that needs F1-F8 + number row and then some.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3267 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 04:59:00 »
I'll tell you one of the most unpopular keyboard opinion ever: playing with WASD is a stupid mass trend, anti-ergonomic (the keys are not aligned and the middle finger sits between the W and the E), and it's just an improvised solution for those who don't have a large desk that allows your to move your keyboard to the left and use the numpad, which is the correct way to play first person games.

WASD is stupid yes, but the solution for most games isn't the numpad as csmertx pointed out, but to use an ortholinear with ESDF.

ESDF in general is highly superior to WASD.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #3268 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 09:23:43 »
The galaxy keysets are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen. They look like a ****ty jackson pollock painting
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #3269 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 13:02:25 »
The galaxy keysets are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen. They look like a ****ty jackson pollock painting

Agreed. Interestingly, though, I have a different opinion on them. They're a great stepping stone for appreciating abstract colour designs.

I have a friend who always disagrees with me when I show him something that's chaotic (like a pollock painting) and call it nice. He messaged me about the massdrop galaxy set and I told him I found it silly and garrish, only to have him tell me that it's the first time he 'understood' my appreciation of things of the sort.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #3270 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 14:05:34 »
they are pretty bad
hi.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3271 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 18:43:14 »
The numpad would need more buttons available for me even for an FPS for it to be useful.  Even then, it places the thumb at an odd position so you're trading one type of ergonomic problem for another. 

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #3272 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 19:01:51 »
The numpad would need more buttons available for me even for an FPS for it to be useful.  Even then, it places the thumb at an odd position so you're trading one type of ergonomic problem for another.
omg yes.
hi.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3273 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 17:26:38 »
I don't understand why so many people are going so crazy over GMK 9009
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3274 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 18:02:45 »
After my maniacal phase of keyboardist life, spending money and buying all kinds of custom keycaps and cables, I just ended up selling them off, all of them, and just using my plain old boring Realforce with blank black keycaps. This is what I should have been doing from the start. Most of the custom keys with monsters and robots and **** like that are incredibly ugly anyway, I can't believe males older than 12 are buying these things.

I feel like I'm 40 in my keyboard life. You know what I mean, don't do orgies anymore or wild sex positions, just have a wife and a marriage that works. We do missionary sometimes, but that's it, nothing wild about it. I can do other things in life now. Like sleeping.

This summarizes the mental state of someone who reached the 'Endgame'.

After my last keyboard maniac phase, I sold every keyboard worthy or not-worthy to mention, and had only a ThinkPad left. With all the long wait and failures of various GB, I may have reached a partial 'Endgame' mental state before some of those merchandises actually arrive. I just need a keyboard that I feel 'home' to type on.

there's no endgame though, that's the point. the only board I use now is my hhkb, and it doesnt have half the features "my endgame" would have, **** I never even got around to hasu modding it or silencing it, but honestly im just burnt out. the only real endgame is being too lazy to give a ****.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3275 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 21:06:09 »
I don't understand why so many people are going so crazy over GMK 9009

This is my thought on a number of sets to be honest. 

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #3276 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 01:35:52 »
1. RGB are retarded, white/violet/purple/blue Leds only. underglow are acceptable.
2. Topre 55g > everything else in topre switches
3. Cherry > MOD > gateron/zeal/whatever in MX compatible switches
4. i don't care what you guys saying about "ergonomic keyboards", split keyboard > everything else. my hand doesn't hurt anymore.
5. Ortholinear are retarded
6. fullsize are ok as long as the numpad are in the left. fullsize with right numpad are **** unless you're left handed.
7. TKL are overrated, 60% are overrated, 75%,66/68% are actually super ok. This is coming from person who had hhkb and pok3r.
8. why the **** are those ppl buying rainbow caps? the hell?
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline Mavarina

« Reply #3277 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 10:47:20 »
-The HHKB keyboard feels like cheap compared to other topre boards

Offline dante

« Reply #3278 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 11:23:19 »
Too many aesthetically vanilla GMK GB's going on...

Offline Sheepz

« Reply #3279 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 12:42:10 »
cannot type on MX keyboard (tried with allmust all the colors out there) without O-rings on them

Offline keycapper

« Reply #3280 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 22:26:45 »
Used to think for a long time (10 years, no less) that an ergonomic keyboard is a must, if you don't want your hands destroyed by the carpal syndrome.  Now typing on a standard layout keyboard, and I'm fine.  Ergonomic keyboards are overrated.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3281 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:27:08 »
Used to think for a long time (10 years, no less) that an ergonomic keyboard is a must, if you don't want your hands destroyed by the carpal syndrome.  Now typing on a standard layout keyboard, and I'm fine.  Ergonomic keyboards are overrated.
Anecdotal evidence…

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #3282 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 13:20:51 »

WASD is stupid yes, but the solution for most games isn't the numpad as csmertx pointed out, but to use an ortholinear with ESDF.

ESDF in general is highly superior to WASD.

I've been using ESDF since day 1, I guess since 1997.  I think since I stopped trying to use Thrustmaster Flightsticks in Quake 1 and Doom and Duke 3D...

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3283 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 16:36:45 »
Why does everybody hate on RGB? If done right (a la Duck Lightsaver)with well diffused underglow and paired with thick non shine thru caps like GMK or SP it can really tie together a build. Plus you can always set the color to a static one or just turn it off completely.

Offline Gungthar

« Reply #3284 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 17:36:58 »
1. ISO is far superior to ANSI

2. 60% layouts make no sense to me outside of saving space on a small desk.

3. I have never found an MX switch I like. They all feel scratchy, and are easily outdone by many other switches including some rubber dome designs.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3285 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 05:59:38 »
I agree about all MXs feeling scratchy .Red is the only one Haven't tried yet so I have high hopes.

The that makes LOL hard about cherry road board reviews is 3/4 of people are like WHY ARENT THEY BLUES????? As if 4/5 of the market wasn't blues.... let the red fans get what they can get  :rolleyes:

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3286 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 09:20:13 »
Why does everybody hate on RGB? If done right (a la Duck Lightsaver)with well diffused underglow and paired with thick non shine thru caps like GMK or SP it can really tie together a build. Plus you can always set the color to a static one or just turn it off completely.

I think it's being hated on because the functionality that's being marketed for it (flashy, sometimes reactive effects) are tacky and serve no practical purpose. But, I absolutely agree with you that it offers a key advantage by allowing you to choose the exact colour you want for static underglow/backlighting without swapping out LEDs.

And some effects can actually be useful in my eyes, especially when you're working with multiple layers. Changing the colour depending on the activated layer can be quite useful and IMO looks better than having indicator LEDs.

What's unnecessary is separate colour change for every single LED, having all LEDs show the same colour would suffice completely, but as addressable LEDs like the WS2812 are not that expensive and don't require additional driving circuitry, they're actually easier to implement.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3287 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 10:13:16 »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3288 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 10:58:21 »

Show Image

I don't know why people hate iso so much. The extra key is very handy, I wouldn't be able to live without it.

Offline Altis

« Reply #3289 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:10:52 »

I started gaming like that (many years ago) but find it doesn't really work at all due to the arrangement and number of keys in proximity, and how difficult it is to transition to typing while gaming.

A lot of FPS games these days have a lot of keys you need to be able to use.

As for the ergonomics of having the W key being slightly offset to the left, I find it resolves naturally when you move the keyboard to the left more and angle it inwards to the right. Because your fingers aren't all the same length, I find this works well -- my ring finger is longer than index, so the inward angle puts the A a bit further from the D and fixes the alignment of W.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #3290 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:27:23 »
I hate phelicia keycaps and gradient keycaps.  They look trash.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3291 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:55:36 »

2. 60% layouts make no sense to me outside of saving space on a small desk.

3. I have never found an MX switch I like. They all feel scratchy, and are easily outdone by many other switches including some rubber dome designs.

My favorite board sports an XT layout ( AKA ANSI with ISO Enter) in a sixty format with MX Ergo Clears!

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3292 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:25:05 »
My favorite board sports an XT layout ( AKA ANSI with ISO Enter) in a sixty format with MX Ergo Clears!

Isn't the XT layout a bigass enter with a split backspace, a bank of 10 f keys on the left side? Not really ANSI with an ISO. Also ISO is the most retarded layout ever made. Id rather use some weird antiquated terminal layout instead of that trash

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3293 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 17:51:50 »
everyone knows deep down that they'll never reach "endgame", this is really just a big money-spending orgy
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline minilov3

« Reply #3294 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 18:42:40 »
cannot type on MX keyboard (tried with allmust all the colors out there) without O-rings on them
tried all o-rings available to me
=> ****ty  stuffs, ****ed up all the good typing feelings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dante

« Reply #3295 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 18:45:31 »
everyone knows deep down that they'll never reach "endgame", this is really just a big money-spending orgy

If I don't reach endgame this year I think I'll need to build my own board.

Offline minilov3

« Reply #3296 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:32:07 »
1. silent red MX rules my world
2. keycap is just a waste of money, while money can be put to better use, no matter how much you have. broken world.
3. DSA? looks good, but it feels, well, probably laptop kb prof is the only worse one.
4.i don't know what i'm saying i just can't ****ing sleep.
5. maybe it's... nvm

Offline minilov3

« Reply #3297 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:37:32 »
oh and one more thing. stupid artisan plastic kcs make me puke. yes they actually did.

Offline JackieOReally

« Reply #3298 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 05:05:37 »
After typing on a HHKB2 for three years I think topre is overrated. It's just another switch. It's decent but has its own draw backs just like any other switch.

And I think a lot of enthusiasts hate on common switches and praise less common switches like alps purely out of desperation to stand out and seem more elite. When you see these people ranking switches it's usually the rarest to the most common. Coincidence?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3299 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 05:13:49 »
After typing on a HHKB2 for three years I think topre is overrated. It's just another switch. It's decent but has its own draw backs just like any other switch.

I type every day on topre and I couldn't agree with you more. It's probably my favorite switch, but I wouldn't say it blows everything else out of the water. All a matter of preference though. For some people I guess it is perfect.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.