Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268724 times)

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3350 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 04:04:04 »
I
Probably shared by more fellow GH'ers, but I need to say this: THE NEW TOUCHBAR MACBOOK "PRO" HAS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE KEYBOARD.

I tried it out yesterday. WTF Apple. Has anyone tried that keyboard? Man... it is so bad it made me appreciate rubberdomes!

Wow.  I need to visit an Apple store and try this. :D

Please do and report back, I'm curious what you think. My GF and I, we're both academics (I'm also a programmer). And immediately we were like "wtf I'm NOT going to type a whole paper on this. W-T-F. Ok, Lenovo T260 then." (she has a HHKB as main driver).

The unibody Macbook Pro and the macbook pro before that had perfect keyboards if you ask me. It's been downhill ever since. The retina MacBook Pro's already had somewhat compromised keyboards, and than the even more shallow feel of the MacBook Air.

I think it feels okay, it's just a matter of it having something like 0.1 mm of travel  :))

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3351 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:00:56 »
I
Probably shared by more fellow GH'ers, but I need to say this: THE NEW TOUCHBAR MACBOOK "PRO" HAS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE KEYBOARD.

I tried it out yesterday. WTF Apple. Has anyone tried that keyboard? Man... it is so bad it made me appreciate rubberdomes!

Wow.  I need to visit an Apple store and try this. :D

Please do and report back, I'm curious what you think. My GF and I, we're both academics (I'm also a programmer). And immediately we were like "wtf I'm NOT going to type a whole paper on this. W-T-F. Ok, Lenovo T260 then." (she has a HHKB as main driver).

The unibody Macbook Pro and the macbook pro before that had perfect keyboards if you ask me. It's been downhill ever since. The retina MacBook Pro's already had somewhat compromised keyboards, and than the even more shallow feel of the MacBook Air.

I think it feels okay, it's just a matter of it having something like 0.1 mm of travel  :))

It feels okay? IT FEELS OKAY? OO--KK--AA--YY?? Ok, hand in all your keyboards. You're not worth it ;p

No joking... opinions vary. But do you REALLY think you want to type for hours on end on it? No right? I mean you fingers MUST get hurt. It almost feels like typing on a glass touchpad.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3352 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 04:02:20 »

It feels okay? IT FEELS OKAY? OO--KK--AA--YY?? Ok, hand in all your keyboards. You're not worth it ;p

No joking... opinions vary. But do you REALLY think you want to type for hours on end on it? No right? I mean you fingers MUST get hurt. It almost feels like typing on a glass touchpad.

I wouldn't want to type more than two paragraphs on it.
I meant that it's pretty tactile and not mushy at all, I would be interested in seeing a keyboard with that modified scissor "butterfly" design with something like 2 mm of travel.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3353 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:43:21 »

I wouldn't want to type more than two paragraphs on it.
I meant that it's pretty tactile and not mushy at all, I would be interested in seeing a keyboard with that modified scissor "butterfly" design with something like 2 mm of travel.

I'd like to see some kind of butterfly + Topre crossover breed. The sound of the tactility or feel of the butterfly with the smoothness of Topre.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3354 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:02:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:21:42 by alienman82 »

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #3355 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:24:37 »

Offline E3E

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3358 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:44:56 »
I think most of the people on GH must have obsessive personalities and/or unnatural, possibly pathological, fixations on small, precise objects. The extent to which they delve into detail over the slightest bits of keyboard esoterica never fails to amuse me.

(I wouldn't normally mention this—but this is the Unpopular Opinions thread, right?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3359 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:56:19 »
I think most of the people on GH must have obsessive personalities and/or unnatural, possibly pathological, fixations on small, precise objects. The extent to which they delve into detail over the slightest bits of keyboard esoterica never fails to amuse me.

(I wouldn't normally mention this—but this is the Unpopular Opinions thread, right?)

Did you type this on Topre? What you say can only be considered on its merit IF TYPED ON TOPRE. :p

But is this an unpopular opinion of yours? Isn't this what we all enjoy? Or are you sitting there "hahaha ALPS VS buckling. those unworthy peasants quibbling over nonsensical topics", pecking away on some rubberdomes?

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3360 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 05:58:13 »
split or die.

Physical split or does this count as well?

Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3361 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 08:31:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:16:55 by alienman82 »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3362 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:08:55 »
split or die.

Show Image

physically split, what else is the point?

Well the point is to have my hands farther apart. Or do you get a split keyboard simply because it looks cool?

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #3363 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:23:51 »
split or die.

Show Image

Well the point is to have my hands farther apart. Or do you get a split keyboard simply because it looks cool?

There's also the point that with a physically split keyboard you get to have your wrists uncoupled.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3364 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:47:16 »
split or die.

Show Image

I'd specifically want a split board to tent it.  The tenting is where it's at for me.  The split is merely to make the tenting possible.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3365 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:48:07 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:16:33 by alienman82 »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3366 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:53:07 »
split or die.

Show Image

I'd specifically want a split board to tent it.  The tenting is where it's at for me.  The split is merely to make the tenting possible.

I suppose me too since I only use the right spacebar, but I plan to map the left one to backspace or delete.

I actually use both the space bar on both sides.  The right when typing, the left when gaming as my right hand is on the mouse. 

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3367 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:09:16 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3368 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:53:38 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:15:45 by alienman82 »

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3369 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 03:56:36 »

I suppose me too since I only use the right spacebar, but I plan to map the left one to backspace or delete.

I actually use both the space bar on both sides.  The right when typing, the left when gaming as my right hand is on the mouse.

Hitting the sweetspot, I'm only ever using space with my left thumb. Very useful for split layouts.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3370 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:49:13 »

Hitting the sweetspot, I'm only ever using space with my left thumb. Very useful for split layouts.

Honestly I'd probably configure space keys on both sides of any split board I own unless I planned on not gaming at all on it (Kinesis and Maltron come to mind). 

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3371 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 02:20:46 »
Honestly I'd probably configure space keys on both sides of any split board I own unless I planned on not gaming at all on it (Kinesis and Maltron come to mind).

Or make one key a switch that let's you put space on the other side.

Ok, here's an unpopular opinion for you: GMK Hydro is damn ugly. I really hate the shade the blue has, couldn't tell you why.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3372 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 08:32:03 »
My latest unpopular opinion:

I friggin love Apple's butterfly switches on their new laptops. Like, waaaay more than I ever thought possible. These things are amazing.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3373 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 14:18:27 »

Or make one key a switch that let's you put space on the other side.

Ok, here's an unpopular opinion for you: GMK Hydro is damn ugly. I really hate the shade the blue has, couldn't tell you why.

Not sure how much I'd make use of such a feature but it's possible.

GMK Hydro wasn't bad but not overly my choice either.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3374 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 00:07:36 »
Tsangan is best layout no exceptions. 1.5|1|1.5| 7 |1.5|1|1.5 bottom row with a split right shift. Extra  a e s t h e t i c s  because of the symmetrical bottom row. The only reason why I don't rock the tsangan bottom row is because I didn't know about it when I built my keyboard. I do use a split right shift because of a broken stab  :p

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3375 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 04:09:26 »
If your gonna type on Blues then fake Blues are just fine. *looks at $30 Aula bought for gf who likes clicky sounds to use on her Macbook Pro*

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3376 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 08:06:45 »
Tsangan is best layout no exceptions. 1.5|1|1.5| 7 |1.5|1|1.5 bottom row with a split right shift. Extra  a e s t h e t i c s  because of the symmetrical bottom row. The only reason why I don't rock the tsangan bottom row is because I didn't know about it when I built my keyboard. I do use a split right shift because of a broken stab  :p
tsangan bottom row is the absolute best. super compatible with vintage sets too. The split shift is nice, but not a requirement IMO

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3377 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 17:09:47 »
tsangan bottom row is the absolute best. super compatible with vintage sets too. The split shift is nice, but not a requirement IMO

I think that the split right shift is best if you use a lot of layers/are on a 60% but isn't a total deal breaker if the board doesn't have one.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3378 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 16:30:13 »
Fn key should be on the left.  Laptop makers had it right.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3379 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 16:44:47 »

Mine is there already.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3380 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 19:38:14 »

I use the caps lock key for my primary fn layer and the extra key by the split shift for my fn2 and the right win for fn3

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3381 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 19:45:51 »

No way man, I love this thing. 15" tbMBP here, and after a couple hours I actually like it a lot more than the original scissor keyboard.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3382 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 23:04:12 »

I use the caps lock key for my primary fn layer and the extra key by the split shift for my fn2 and the right win for fn3

Not a bad choice.  I tend to only need one Fn layer as I keep to keyboards with dedicated F keys so I'm only really using Fn for media controls

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #3383 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 18:40:16 »
65% is for plebs who can't use layers

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3384 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 20:15:11 »

Everything bigger than 40% is for plebs who can't use layers. 30% is for people who are one with their layers.

Or the true Apple keyboard: A single switch, and a dial to change what layer it presses.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #3385 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 20:47:38 »

Everything bigger than 40% is for plebs who can't use layers. 30% is for people who are one with their layers.

Or the true Apple keyboard: A single switch, and a dial to change what layer it presses.

30% pffft
I use a numpad with layers as my daily driver  :))

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3386 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 22:08:10 »
Just use a TKL jeez...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline zslane

« Reply #3387 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 15:56:08 »
Here is what must be one of the most unpopular opinions in the mk marketplace:

A 60% version of the NovaTouch would be a killer product.  :thumb:

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3388 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 16:04:56 »
Just use a TKL jeez...

TKLs are the bane of my existence

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3389 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 13:57:09 »
Just use a TKL jeez...

TKLs are the bane of my existence
TKL is the only. layout. everything else is inferior. fight me.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3390 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:18:03 »
I can see the appeal of the TKL layout for most folks.

Unfortunately, it lacks the numpad (which I like) for desktop PC work, and it is too big for my iPad, making it the most useless "popular" layout out there (for me).

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3391 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 22:16:25 »
I can see the appeal of the TKL layout for most folks.

Unfortunately, it lacks the numpad (which I like) for desktop PC work, and it is too big for my iPad, making it the most useless "popular" layout out there (for me).
Full size less the arrow cluster(60% + numpad) would be the best layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3392 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:23:50 »

Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3393 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:25:08 »

Show Image

The Cooler Master. Just what I was thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3394 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:27:24 »
The Cooler Master. Just what I was thinking of.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3395 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:06:10 »
How about the Leopold 980C or M?

Offline batfink

« Reply #3396 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:24:47 »
30% pffft
I use a numpad with layers as my daily driver  :))

30%? Luxury. I use a single key and tap out all my characters in binary.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3397 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 11:15:36 »

Not all that dissimilar than RS96, neh? I'm not a fan of included F keys and arrows. Besides, 1.75U shift is just the worst. If you run a board with 1.75, keycap sets just cost that much more.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3398 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 11:50:50 »

Not all that dissimilar than RS96, neh? I'm not a fan of included F keys and arrows. Besides, 1.75U shift is just the worst. If you run a board with 1.75, keycap sets just cost that much more.

Hmmm, I use arrow keys to go back/forward in browsers and f keys make nice program launching hotkeys when paired with mod/super/win so I don't know if I could use a keyboard the same way. As far as keysets I think that the 980 boards have an all in one package deal but that's my opinion. I can see the appeal of RS96 but I've heard of or seen a topre version. A Topre RS96 would be very interesting

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3399 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:38:39 »
A TKL should work out pretty well for me.  I like the numpad and make use of it for work at times but it wouldn't be a big loss to not have it.  It's the 60% and smaller boards I don't really have much use for.  It's a rare thing for me to use a tablet rather than be at my computer and tablets are about the only reason for me to even consider a 60% given my heavy preference for an F row and some type of nav cluster.  I'll likely end up trying out a 75% board as it's a nice compact layout that still has everything I want.