Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268605 times)

Offline zslane

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3400 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:58:45 »
You and I are not too dissimilar, Niomosy.

However, I not only like having a numpad (when working at a desktop PC), it feels wrong to me when it is missing, like an amputated limb that I keep expecting to be there. And before I became a heavy iPad user, I had no need for the 60% format either. But when I started spending most of my life (away from work) in front of it, a desperate need for a suitably sized mech keyboard suddenly took ahold of me.

For the past year I've been suffering from terrible neck strain (and associated headaches), which I primarily blame on poor head posture while using my iPad, and so I've cut way back on my iPad usage. I don't use it nearly as much as I did a year or two ago, but I'm not about to toss away my Pok3rs any time soon. And in fact, I still want my 60% "end-game" board, which is a Pok3r with TMX switches.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3401 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:47:16 »
I agree that having the 10-key is nice.  Having been working in IT for over 20 years, I'm rather used to keyboards having it.  For gaming and such, I should be just fine with the TKL.  I honestly don't even use the 10-key that heavily for work but when dealing with numbers, my right hand tends to automatically move over there.

As to the neck problems with an iPad, I can easily see it.  Just reading a book at times, I'll feel problems in my neck so I know it's not something I can readily sustain unless I treat it like a laptop with a decent setup for ergonomics. 

The 60% boards also make sense for those using tablets more as the function keys aren't really needed.  As I tend to be a power user even when casually surfing the net, the tablets tend not to work quite as well for me.  Most every night I'm making use of both a desktop and laptop for things.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3402 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:47:47 »
I guess I am in the minority for thinking Unicomp is endgame material  :(

Offline hking0036

« Reply #3403 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:50:55 »
Unicomp is unique in offering new buckling spring boards, it's just that the issue is that everything that Unicomp makes has been done with higher standards before from a time where it didn't have to be built to cut costs. If you want the best of the best of buckling spring you can get a Model F, or even an older Model M with a thicker plate.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:55:13 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3404 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:54:23 »
I still want to try a beam spring and Model F just to see what the hype is about on them.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3405 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:55:28 »
Unicomp is unique in offering new buckling spring boards, it's just that the issue is that everything that Unicomp makes has been done with higher standards before from a time where it didn't have to be built to cut costs. If you want the best of the best of buckling spring you can get a Model F.

Bro I agree with you 100%.  I should have definitely mentioned, my reasoning for buying Unicomps over real IBMs and refurbishing them, is I both prefer a never-before-used board, don't have the $ to get a NOS IBM board, and probably most personally important, want to support them for both being a USA company doing everything in house and being the only company to still sell them.

Now, let's say Unicomp goes out of business and I want a buckling spring board, yeah you can bet I'll be fixing up an old dirty Model F instead of getting a used Unicomp. In that regard, there;s no contest IMO.

I still want to try a beam spring and Model F just to see what the hype is about on them.

They will make everything else suck ;)

Offline zslane

« Reply #3406 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:39:55 »

You won't get the full beamspring experience unless you also get the solenoid working.  :p

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3407 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 19:41:39 »

They will make everything else suck ;)

See, I'm a confirmed linear switch guy so they might be nice for a bit but I would easily be pining to go back to linears.  Hall Effect switches are really my goal so I'm hoping those XMIT boards work out well once they arrive.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3408 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 00:06:51 »

TKL is the only. layout. everything else is inferior. fight me.

At least we agree that topre is overrated.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #3409 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 00:07:56 »
Full size less the arrow cluster(60% + numpad) would be the best layout.

Show Image

ZZ96 layout is better

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #3410 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 00:13:16 »

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3411 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 04:57:33 »
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/ee0f585e705b8da1d6a4b84fcc85a160
Yall really need the fat +/Enter column?

How else are you going to use it has a calculator?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #3412 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 05:26:27 »
Full size less the arrow cluster(60% + numpad) would be the best layout.

Show Image

ZZ96 layout is better

I've never liked the "wall of keys" look you get with boards that have the F keys all scrunched up against the number row. If I was in the market for a smaller form factor with tenkey, I'd go for an FC980C or an 1800 layout.

That said, I'd rather have a TKL with detached numpad.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3413 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 11:05:24 »
TKL is the only. layout. everything else is inferior. fight me.

Phantom TKL is better in every way. GG EZ
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline RELLIK

« Reply #3414 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 04:25:12 »
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/ee0f585e705b8da1d6a4b84fcc85a160
Yall really need the fat +/Enter column?

How else are you going to use it has a calculator?
For just basic functions I would have thought it doable : Capslock=Enter, then stick +/-* wherever you feel across top and in place of 00. Granted I dont use my numpad all that much, its just easier for # entry.

On the subject, assuming a person doing heavy data entry's right hand is for their mouse, wouldnt reaching across all the alphas get annoying?
Anyone know of any other KB's with a numpad on the left side the Monarch, LZ RV and TK left hand variants?

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3415 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:58:44 »
On the subject, assuming a person doing heavy data entry's right hand is for their mouse, wouldnt reaching across all the alphas get annoying?
Anyone know of any other KB's with a numpad on the left side the Monarch, LZ RV and TK left hand variants?

Usually you would not user the mouse at all for "heavy data entry".
But if that's the case then a separate numpad would be the best choice.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3416 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:52:20 »

Or switch to a left handed mouse. If you're not gaming it really doesn't take that long to adapt

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3417 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:57:08 »
Or use a Planck and a layer for numpad.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline skitty

« Reply #3418 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 17:56:55 »

Or switch to a left handed mouse. If you're not gaming it really doesn't take that long to adapt

Yeah, I do this at work since I have a full size keyboard and using my mouse left handed is working fine for me. It also lets me put my notepad to the right of my keyboard where I can take notes without having to shift things around.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3419 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 04:38:56 »

That's actually a great idea, i should try that.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3420 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 04:48:54 »
Possibly not an opinion, but does anyone think the Model M's spacebar sucks?

It's rattly and loud, sounds way different than any of the other keys. And the giant chunk PBT the spacebar is made out of puts enough pressure on the key it feels noticeably lighter than other keys.

Not criticizing the keyboard as a whole, love it!

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3421 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 04:51:46 »

It's rattly and loud, sounds way different than any of the other keys. And the giant chunk PBT the spacebar is made out of puts enough pressure on the key it feels noticeably lighter than other keys.

I never had a rattly Model M spacebar but on both my real IBMs and Unicomps, the space bar has a higher pitch than the main keys but not as high pitched as the backspace.

Another thing: see if your left shift is lower pitch than the right shift...  :eek:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3422 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 05:16:47 »

I never had a rattly Model M spacebar but on both my real IBMs and Unicomps, the space bar has a higher pitch than the main keys but not as high pitched as the backspace.

Another thing: see if your left shift is lower pitch than the right shift...  :eek:
it is! jeeze!

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3423 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 05:58:47 »

There must be a mod to fix this. Maybe a heavier spring? The spacebar should be the heaviest key on a board, not the lightest.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3424 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:08:13 »

Well, I think the entire Model M sucks. As does any clone of it.  So there. :p

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3425 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:13:16 »

Genuinely curious since you're not a BS fan so I want to ask to see if you feel the same as my MX loving, BS hating friends :thumb:

did you use BS boards back in the day? (mid 80s, very early 90s)
What switches do you prefer most?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3426 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:26:28 »
A flipped space bar is a cry for attention

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3427 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:30:17 »

Co signed

Offline zslane

« Reply #3428 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:49:53 »

Genuinely curious since you're not a BS fan so I want to ask to see if you feel the same as my MX loving, BS hating friends :thumb:

At the moment I prefer silenced Topre and MX silent red switches. But I'm eager to try XMIT's Hall Effect switch. I'd probably use Matias switches too if it weren't for the complete lack of spherical keycaps for them.

I began using computers back when you had to use a terminal connected over a modem to a mainframe. The terminals I used back then (early 80s) all had Microswitch Hall Effect linears or something similar, with lovely high-profile spherical keycaps. Computer keyboards have, IMO, been on the decline in terms of aesthetics and build quality ever since.

I remember very clearly when the IBM PC came out. I hated its keyboard back then and I still hate it today. It is noisy, loud, uncomfortable, and so tediously dull in appearance that I get depressed just looking at it. I had to use one for years at the office I worked in as a college intern, and it was slowly destroying my soul. I have one (circa 1993) at home right now, serving as a constant reminder of how things all went horribly wrong.

Now, thanks to the resurgence of custom mech boards, I am able to put together keyboards that remind me of a time when keyboards were beautiful engineering marvels that only lacked a coherent layout standard.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3429 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:50:27 »

It certainly looks super stupid and I feel there's no need for it. I tried it on my board with Cherry profile for a while, I feel no difference whatsoever. People are justifying it by being more comfortable because the front edge won't cut into your thumb, but I think if your hand is that low, you might have to work on your typing posture.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3430 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:31:36 »

At the moment I prefer silenced Topre and MX silent red switches. But I'm eager to try XMIT's Hall Effect switch. I'd probably use Matias switches too if it weren't for the complete lack of spherical keycaps for them.

I began using computers back when you had to use a terminal connected over a modem to a mainframe. The terminals I used back then (early 80s) all had Microswitch Hall Effect linears or something similar, with lovely high-profile spherical keycaps. Computer keyboards have, IMO, been on the decline in terms of aesthetics and build quality ever since.

I remember very clearly when the IBM PC came out. I hated its keyboard back then and I still hate it today. It is noisy, loud, uncomfortable, and so tediously dull in appearance that I get depressed just looking at it. I had to use one for years at the office I worked in as a college intern, and it was slowly destroying my soul. I have one (circa 1993) at home right now, serving as a constant reminder of how things all went horribly wrong.

Now, thanks to the resurgence of custom mech boards, I am able to put together keyboards that remind me of a time when keyboards were beautiful engineering marvels that only lacked a coherent layout standard.

Interesting to know! I've looked at many photos of very old hall effect boards and those should be killer. I too am very excited for XMIT's design.

I think I like everything about buckling springs because I love super heavy and loud keys... it was also the first not completely awful keyboard I used (thinking about C64 or Atari ST or something, both crap keyboards)

I think if I had gotten used to hall effect before BS like you, I'd probably think BS was.... uh.... BS   :'(

I do really like Topre too and reds are my favorite of any MX switch, so that's cool too.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3431 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:23:51 »

You won't get the full beamspring experience unless you also get the solenoid working.  :p

Having head clips of it, I'd turn off the added sound immediately.  Though it's admittedly far less annoying than the sound of MX blues even if that's not saying much.  MX blues can die in a fire.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3432 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:28:31 »
I much prefer the solenoid replacement of wiring a servo to some cymbals which actuates on every keypress.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3433 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:30:50 »
Beamsprings without the solenoid is like only hearing a stereo recording in only one ear. You're only getting a fraction of the full experience. You might as well not even bother...  :p

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3434 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:59:06 »

Having head clips of it, I'd turn off the added sound immediately.  Though it's admittedly far less annoying than the sound of MX blues even if that's not saying much.  MX blues can die in a fire.

At least it seems to be more universally accepted than it used to be that Blues are trash. Was ridiculous how long Blues had the reputation of "only MX worth bothering with". ewww

Offline RELLIK

« Reply #3435 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 03:04:21 »

It does seem just another accessory is easiest in that regard  :-X

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3436 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 03:08:59 »
I actually cross my hands and use my trackballs with my left hand a lot while typing with my right hand. It's stupid I know, but it works for me?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3437 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:35:35 »
and a layer

Phhht, GH-122.  No layers needed.

Offline silverpanda94

« Reply #3438 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 10:28:07 »
1. RGB is so overhyped, it looks like garbage if you use more than like 3 colors and costs an arm and a leg.
2. After testing any mechanical keyboard ever, I regret having ever typed on a Razer.
3. Alps switches are ******g sick!
4. Keytronic rubber domes actually don't feel half bad.

I actually agree.  I'm using a board with Keytronic rubber domes at work, and it's one of the best rubber dome experiences I've had. 
Topre Realforce RGB // IBM Model M (1989) // Razer Ornata Chroma // Cherry MultiBoard MX 8100 // Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 (at work)

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #3439 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:09:09 »
Well, this keyboard is not "unpopular" but the original K90 series from Corsair was, well, too much. The idea of having 18 programmable macro keys is great, but in actuality, it is more of a nuisance. First of all, it takes up a huge chunk of your desk space. Second, the macro keys are not mechanical switches. Third, the keyboard was expensive AF.

Offline dante

« Reply #3440 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:23:55 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3441 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 19:07:11 »
I guess I am in the minority for thinking Unicomp is endgame material.

Unicomp is unique in offering new buckling spring boards, it's just that the issue is that everything that Unicomp makes has been done with higher standards before from a time where it didn't have to be built to cut costs. If you want the best of the best of buckling spring you can get a Model F, or even an older Model M with a thicker plate.

Along with my bolt-modded Model M 1390131 and ANSI-ified Model F-AT, my Unicomp Ultra Classic is one of my 3 favourite boards. Yes, the build's lighter than vintage M's—there's no way Unicomp could've used IBM's or Lexmark's specs and kept their boards below $100. And considering they're still made in the U.S., their pricing borders on miraculous.

Personally, I find the lighter build a pleasant contrast with IBM's tank-like one. And Unicomp's creaking-case syndrome (which I noticed only when picking up the board, not using it) can be fixed.

So hooray, Unicomp—more power to you.

And now, here's my (apparently) Unpopular Opinion:

People who feel compelled to use graphic banners in their sigs that we must see over and over and over and over...   :?P  Instead, how about just adding one to a post, say, once a week? Or is overkill the only method acceptable to you?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline zslane

« Reply #3442 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 19:30:22 »
People who feel compelled to use graphic banners in their sigs that we must see over and over and over and over...   :?P  Instead, how about just adding one to a post, say, once a week? Or is overkill the only method acceptable to you?

Yeah, it's horrible. It's as bad as all the people who feel compelled to post photos of yet another (buckling spring) IBM keyboard (or clone of same) which looks exactly like the ten thousand other photos of the same fugly thing littering the mech board forums all over the Internet. It would seem that suffocating overkill is the only method acceptable to them as well.  :p

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3443 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 03:52:40 »
It's as bad as all the people who feel compelled to post photos of yet another (buckling spring) IBM keyboard (or clone of same) which looks exactly like the ten thousand other photos of the same fugly thing littering the mech board forums all over the Internet. It would seem that suffocating overkill is the only method acceptable to them as well.  :p

Oh god yes. When I'm on /r/MK, I want to see pictures of new, interesting builds, I don't care if someone got another model M for just 10 bucks or found it in their basement. And you can't even filter them out automatically because the title usually is something like "Look what I found!". What I do like is when someone posts a build log of how they restored their greasy vintage board. That is a good resource for others and it can be interesting to see how people approach that and what horrific kinds of critters they find in their boards.

What's even worse, those simple posts get hundreds of upvotes sometimes, and then well-documented build logs get something like 60 and you never even notice them.  :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3444 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 05:23:24 »
Reddit in a nutshell. I got downvoted to oblivion the other day—for simply pointing out (very neutrally btw) that OP's Cherry G80 wasn't #rare #vintage #NOS, but a cheap, very common 5-year-old model with corners cut everywhere.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #3445 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:09:35 »
I'm sure this has been covered but I think artisan keycaps ruin 99% of the boards they're on.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #3446 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 18:17:19 »
I think Kailh Switches are better than most give them credit for, the ones I have used have been more consistent than Outemu or Gaote and have felt closer to Cherry (Which was what they were trying to copy) than Gaterons do even though Gaterons are smoother.  Iv'e never had a Kailh fail on me and while they aren't my #1 pick I think they get a ton of flack for no reason.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3447 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:45:23 »
I think Kailh Switches are better than most give them credit for, the ones I have used have been more consistent than Outemu or Gaote and have felt closer to Cherry (Which was what they were trying to copy) than Gaterons do even though Gaterons are smoother.  Iv'e never had a Kailh fail on me and while they aren't my #1 pick I think they get a ton of flack for no reason.
All of the Kailhs I've tried were very scratchy, that being said they weren't any more scratchy than the old generation (2010-2016) MX switches so I guess they were equal in a way.

But I have never had any problems with them technically. All the boards I have tried and had with them functioned perfectly.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #3448 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 20:01:41 »
I'm sure this has been covered but I think artisan keycaps ruin 99% of the boards they're on.

Somebody finally said it!!!
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3449 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:25:21 »
It's as bad as all the people who feel compelled to post photos of yet another (buckling spring) IBM keyboard (or clone of same) which looks exactly like the ten thousand other photos of the same fugly thing littering the mech board forums all over the Internet. It would seem that suffocating overkill is the only method acceptable to them as well.  :p

Oh god yes. When I'm on /r/MK, I want to see pictures of new, interesting builds, I don't care if someone got another model M for just 10 bucks or found it in their basement. And you can't even filter them out automatically because the title usually is something like "Look what I found!". What I do like is when someone posts a build log of how they restored their greasy vintage board. That is a good resource for others and it can be interesting to see how people approach that and what horrific kinds of critters they find in their boards.

What's even worse, those simple posts get hundreds of upvotes sometimes, and then well-documented build logs get something like 60 and you never even notice them.  :(

It may be the same board, but the photo of it may be beautifully composed.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g