Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage / Emacs Mapping Suggestions (wanted)  (Read 7420 times)

Offline moogatronic

Kinesis Advantage / Emacs Mapping Suggestions (wanted)
« on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 17:03:43 »
I just got my first non-rubber dome keyboard, the Kinesis Advantage, and was wondering what some experienced Advantage owners are using for placement of the Emacs oriented modifier keys. I figured that during my 'learning' period, it may be good to set the board to an optimal layout from the start.

Right off the bat, I've mapped Space to Control, Backspace to Space, Delete to Backspace, Caps to Control, and Escape to Right Control.

I've only had to scream out loud a few times while hitting space, backspace, etc. =) I'm still on day 0-1 of using it though...

Also, the [] keys. Any suggestions for a better location? I'm thinking that I'll eventually get used to where they are, but I type those keys all the time when writing code.

Thanks in Advance!

moogatronic

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 18:10:24 »
I've kept my modifiers alone (2 controls and 2 alts in their regular locations). I use control a lot, and when I need control+alt I usually hold down both with a single thumb.
Also I use CAPS LOCK since I do have to type constants and stuff. However I mapped Escape to End, swapped up/down arrows, and also swapped Tab and Delete. I hit Tab A LOT for command completion, and it's really nice to have it on the thumb.

Regarding the [] I am quite used to them where they are, they are not that hard to reach, but someone posted about moving them to some thumb keys (maybe End and PgDown?) I don't remember which, but nevertheless he put them in a symmetric fashion: left thumb for [ and right thumb for ]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 18:44:39 »
Quote from: sordna;485586
and also swapped Tab and Delete. I hit Tab A LOT for command completion, and it's really nice to have it on the thumb.

This is a good idea! I think I will do something similar. I anticipate a lot of tab for the same reason. I'll probably just give it some time with the [] keys, the voice of the internet seems to agree with you on the matter.

Offline erw

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 19:31:06 »
Quote from: sordna;485586
Regarding the [] I am quite used to them where they are, they are not that hard to reach, but someone posted about moving them to some thumb keys (maybe End and PgDown?) I don't remember which, but nevertheless he put them in a symmetric fashion: left thumb for [ and right thumb for ]

What's with people remapping the thumb keys? I'm kind of envious because I would also like to move more functionality to my thumbs. But I'm already using every single key. Aren't you using all of them?

Quote from: moogatronic;485546
Also, the [] keys. Any suggestions for a better location? I'm thinking that I'll eventually get used to where they are, but I type those keys all the time when writing code.

It took me a couple of months to get used to the extra key row, but now I love it.
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 20:05:03 »
i use kinesis "delete" for shift, the modifier i use most is "shift" (even tho i very rarely capitalize on the forum, i do when writing, etc). I have literally saved my pinkies by doing just this, otherwise the thumbs are just a way to press a big @$$ space bar, wtf... i mean what's the difference between us and monkey's? opposable thumbs, we might as well get use out of them instead of just using them for one button. using kinesis backspace/enter/space is awesome as well.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 11:37:03 »
The only key I've remapped is the capslock to backspace.  Only because I use it for backspace on all my other keyboards.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 12:35:40 »
Quote from: erw;485636
What's with people remapping the thumb keys? I'm kind of envious because I would also like to move more functionality to my thumbs. But I'm already using every single key. Aren't you using all of them?

I rarely use page up/down, or home/end, since emacs has equivalent bindings for those operations. They're pretty hard to hit 'touch typing' though, at least for now, so I'm not sure what I would remap them to anyway. It would probably be advantageous to start using the keys though, since they're within easy reach on this board as opposed to the standard keyboard layout which requires you to completely move your hand.

Quote from: erw;485636
It took me a couple of months to get used to the extra key row, but now I love it.

I did a good bit of coding last night and am already starting to get used to the multi-hand arrows and the bracket location. I anticipate I'll be in full agreement with you in about a month or so as well!

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 12:50:38 »
For vi users, I recommend swapping the up/down arrows, so that the index finger goes down and the middle finger goes up. I love the arrows now, I can even play games with them and actually find them better than the inverted T arrangement !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline erw

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 15:37:31 »
Quote from: moogatronic;486050
I rarely use page up/down, or home/end, since emacs has equivalent bindings for those operations. They're pretty hard to hit 'touch typing' though, at least for now, so I'm not sure what I would remap them to anyway. It would probably be advantageous to start using the keys though, since they're within easy reach on this board as opposed to the standard keyboard layout which requires you to completely move your hand.

I'm a heavy vim and bash user as well, so I also use tons of shortcuts (and also swapped up and down arrows like sordna). But I still use Home and End for editing in browsers and other GUI programs and use Page Up and Page Down in image viewers and other GUI stuff (well and actually in bash (Shift+Page Up/Down) and screen as well). With a bit of practise, you can hit them without looking or thinking about it.
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 16:37:14 »
Quote from: sordna;486058
For vi users, I recommend swapping the up/down arrows, so that the index finger goes down and the middle finger goes up. I love the arrows now, I can even play games with them and actually find them better than the inverted T arrangement !

I do use vim quite a bit as well, and will give the swapped arrows a try. I do seem to be currently hitting the wrong arrow first, and then switching to the other once I see my mistake. This seems to be a pretty common swap.

Day two of the Advantage: Feeling more and more like the keyboard I've always wanted. It almost feels like a more natural, or somehow organic human interface to the computer via keyboard. Not sure if that makes any sense, I don't know quite how to put it into words... I'm sure my honeymoon will wear off at some point! =)

Offline boli

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 02:58:08 »
Although I don't use Emacs I'll show you the layout I settled on.

• Number row shifted to the left (to preserve relative position from home row and keep the - and + keys on the top right)
  • All arrows moved to left hand in a vim-like arrangement (nice to move around while right hand is mousing)
  • Enter instead of Delete on the left thumb (also handy while mousing with right hand)
  • Ctrl instead of Home on the left thumb (again because the left hand is on the keyboard all the time, while the right hand is not)
  • Option instead of Ctrl on the right thumb
  • Delete instead of End on the left thumb (didn't want to move it far, but hardly ever use it anyway)
  • Replaced caps lock with ~ key (it had to go somewhere)

For comparison: original Kinesis Mac layout.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline dotemacs

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 14:06:16 »
Hey moogatronic,

here is my setup for Emacs:

I've re-mapped the left side:
Caps Lock      -> +/= key
Arrow left      -> Control
Arrow right    -> Meta
Backspace     -> Space
Delete          -> Backspace

and the right side:
Arrow up        -> Meta
Arrow down      -> Control

I got to this after chatting to some Emacs users who already have it set up somewhat like this.