Author Topic: got a kinesis today  (Read 3177 times)

Offline cassowary

got a kinesis today
« on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:36:09 »
I bought a new-in-box Kinesis Advantage keyboard off ebay last week, and it got to me today. It's a little weird, and it's a little cool. The buzzes are annoying though, it's weird to have to read the manual to find out how to make a keyboard not squeak and you every time you press a key (mind you, my trackball also clicks at me everytime I rotate it in its scrolling mode...)

I'm trying really hard to get used to the feel of the different rows, but I do find it hard to remember where to put my hands after they've taken an excursion to the trackball or the function row. And trying to remember where they is on the bottom and number rows is also a bit hard at the moment. (I think I probably used unconventional fingers on the left hand; in fact, the conventional fingers the Kinesis implies seem like they'd be almost impossible on a normally-staggered board.

It's also my first mechanical keyboard. The Cherry Browns don't seem particulaly loud, in fact, I'd call them silent except for the actual sound of hitting the bottom (which I'm also trying hard not to do, but it's very much a different idea than typing on rubber domes or whatever it is my old keyboard has).

I've rebound a bunch of keys on it: aside from using a programmer's Dvorak style layout (with shifted numbers and unshifted punctuation), I've swapped spacebar and backspace. The numbers I've also pushed over one column, I thought it was conventional to type 6 with the left hand, and the Microsoft Natural keyboard I've been using at work would imply that too. Being a Vim user, I use escape a lot and caps lock never, so escape goes there. I don't know if I've left a capslock anywhere on the keyboard, and if so where it might happen to be.

Incidentally, I've seen someone hawking some blank keycaps for this keyboard somewhere. (a) are there any left? when I'm finished with this, hardly a key will be accurate anyway, so I might as well have something that's less misleading to any unsuspecting sod who walks up to it. (b) has anyone actually got any/pictures of them? Would be cool to see.

Offline hoggy

Re: got a kinesis today
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:59:54 »
Good choice.  Welcome to the club!

I turned the beeps off when I got mine, but I was still bottoming out after a while and put them back on.  The beeps are fantastic for training yourself not to bottom out...

I think the blank keys were available from Kinesis - you might want to post in their sub forum (or send a pm).
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 06:34:10 »
For blank keycaps, I just bought them from Signature Plastics.  I got They are a little pricey at $1 a piece, but I wanted the darn things and I dropped the cash.

http://keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

Here is a link to my keyboard with blank spherical keycaps (DSA family):

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/kinesis-advantage-with-spherical-keycaps-dsa-family-for-sp-t4842.html
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 06:41:20 »
I absolutely LOVE my Kinesis Advantage.  Give it a month of dedicated use and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. 

I have no doubt that I will, eventually, wear mine out.  Should probably buy a spare at some point. 

I use conventional QWERTY on mine.  I do have space bar on the left and backspace on the right.  Caps Lock mapped to Ctrl and pretty much everything else standard.  I have the "beeps" enabled. 

Purchased new in December 2010 and it has been my daily driver since.  ($267.99 shipped)

Looks like I got a deal on mine;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 06:43:40 by iMav »

Offline vatin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 10:29:24 »
Congratulations on the kinesis. Got mine half a year ago. I apply the palm keys mod and i can swiftly shift between keypad layers. The best typing tool i depend on daily. Lessen fatique and boost productivity. Since getting the kinesis I lost all the pain and discomfort in my arms fingers and back due to typing on rubber dome for years.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 10:34:15 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 14:07:30 »
my used kinesis wouldn't turn off sound for the life of me, i just desoldered the speaker. if you still have your regular keyboard around, put it away and lock it in a closet, this way your forced to uses the kinesis no matter what, that's how i got used to mine so fast, cuz i had no backup to rely on.

Offline Rythh

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 23:56:00 »
Hey cassowary,
   Can you explain to me a bit more about your key layout?  You say it is Dvorak but slightly optimized for programming specifically, and I am very interested to know more because I am a handicapped programmer. 

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 12:26:16 »
Congratulations on the kinesis. Got mine half a year ago. I apply the palm keys mod and i can swiftly shift between keypad layers.

vatin, can you please please post photos of your keyboard in the relevant thread ? 

BTW, OP, Kinesis has blank sets (in black color), I bought 2 sets recently.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Rythh

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 19:17:30 »
I think I sent you a PM sordna, but in case anyone else wants to know too where did you buy your blank key caps for the Advantage LF?  I am especially interested in the black ones you got!

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 10:17:37 »
Contact tech@kinesis.com for sets of blank keycaps. $39

Offline cassowary

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 01:52:53 »
G'day Rythh

Basically, instead of having the commonly used punctuation on shift-numbers, I have the numbers on shift-punctuation. So the top row of my Kinesis is:

lefthand *<>{}$
righthand %^)(][

The brackets on the right hand are also backwards so that they roll inwards when you type them one straight after another as in $blah[] = doSomething();

! and @ are where <> used to be—shift , and .

I was a little bit trepadicious about going tenkeyless with shifted numbers, but so far it hasn't been too bad; I rarely have cause to type more than two or three digits in a row, and when you're programming punctuation is much more frequent.

I don't recommend you copycat my exact layout; I experimented around quite a lot to find what works well for me considering I'm doing PHP on Linux using Vim and vim emulation in JetBrains PhpStorm. (e.g. Vim use explains why % is so easily accessible). Also, now that I've got a new keyboard, I'm experimenting some more: I'm less than perfectly sure <> are in the right place with the Kinesis compared to with a flat keyboard. (Also, I think I've lost some punctuation—the ampersand—because the keyboard splits in the wrong place and moves one key from each hand to the other, and I haven't fully sorted that out.)

Oh, and I also have the emdash on shift hyphen. Makes much more sense than the underscore, donchathink? On my old keyboard, underscore was on the Insert key for the once-in-a-blue-moon time you need it, on the kinesis it's on the extra \| key. Which strangely enough also has the Insert label barely visible on it.

Offline Rythh

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 19:26:53 »
Has Dvorak worked well for you from a programming standpoint (other than your modifications) over QWERTY?  I love the numbers being switched with the punctuation btw, excellent idea.  Is there a way you quickly set your work machine up to follow the same bindings, or did you just take the time and effort to move over your modifications?  (I am wondering if vim has a sort of "bindings" config file that I could possibly move around between machines, haven't looked into it)

Offline cassowary

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 03:29:02 »
I've been using Dvorak since the last year of highschool, so I don't really have anything to compare Dvorak to; I never really programmed in qwerty. I see no reason to believe it's worse than qwerty, especially if you use Vim (having y next to p on the left hand is a real boon, I'd say). Obviously programmers type more punctuation than people who write straight English, but once you're over the hurdle of normal keyboards and keycaps that match what it types, you're free to make the punctuation even more convenient. Like I did. (I say specifically because I've heard some people complain that square brackets in particular are harder to type, being relegated to the end of the number row.) Otoh, back when I did learn Dvorak, I struggled with the punctuation much longer than the letters, so I sometimes popped those keycaps and made them line up.

The biggest problem is that now all of a sudden you struggle to type on other's keyboards, and they simply can't type on yours.  (My qwerty foo comes and goes like the tide. Sometimes I can touchtype without a problem, but the last few months I've been apalling.) I actually have two keyboards connected up to my computer at work, so I'd love it if one could be bound to Dvorak and the other Qwerty for when someone is else is working with me, like I have a mouse for others and a trackball for myself. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how at this point. If there was a forum here about that sort of issue, I'd ask but I've got no idea where I should ;)

As for how I've set up the custom layout, it's done in Xmodmap, so it applies to all the programs I'm running in Xorg. (I'm assuming you're using Linux cos of how you say you use Vim. Maybe this is still interesting if you're not) It basically consists of a file with a lot of lines like:

Code: [Select]
keycode 59 = w W U028D
and then you run "xmodmap filename" and voila, only you can use your keyboard :)

(In another life, I've also been a linguist, so I have every key manually set up to include IPA characters. Normal people could just set their keyboard into Dvorak and only change the keys they need to, but I am rarely accorded the distinction of "normal". In this particular case, if I use altgr w, I would get ʍ (which is the sound some old people in America use for "wh") — except that after I've used up one alt for meta and the other for compose, I have no keys left on my Kinesis, so I don't have an altgr key at all! I might have to actually mod this thing.)

You can find the keycode by using xev. Start it in a terminal (by running xev) and you get a bunch of stuff, put the focus on the ugly window it brings up, and anycharacter you type, the keycode (and some other info) will be spewed on the keyboard. But be careful, because any X event will be, so take a note of the keycode before you move the mouse. You will likely have to use your own memory, not the computers! :)

Offline cassowary

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 03:36:14 »
Just to point out tho, you can remap in Vim alone. :map makes a mapping in normal (command) mode, :imap makes a mapping in insert mode.

So in my .vimrc file, I have
:imap `` “
To make two graves equal a double opening quote. Much more convenient than having to fix up some automatic "smart quote" system's stuff ups.

As always, Vim's help is so brilliant it's almost blinding, and you can find out about them with :help :imap.