Author Topic: [IC] Joyland - A Cherry Profile Keycap Set  (Read 22964 times)

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
[IC] Joyland - A Cherry Profile Keycap Set
« on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:54:19 »
Hello people,

I'd like to gather interest and feedback regarding this design for a Cherry profile keycap set. It is inspired by the classic Joyland Amusement Park entrance sign that closed operations after 55 years of fun. I wrote a little bit more about it here in case you wanna read.

If you are interested please let me know your thoughts about the current version of the monokit, the most standard people should be covered. There's also a chance I can include a Planck/Ergo kit and even novelties if there's enough interest. Please discuss the layout possibilities and keycap additions/inclusions you'd like to have in case I forgot you.

A litte bit of a FAQ:
  • The monokit is designed to be an affordable entry level Cherry profile ABS 2shot retro looking keycap set;
  • International options are not available yet;
  • With the current kit, it is possible to cover practically any 60% in the market, the Leopold FC660M and 65%/75% variants (Whitefox, TADA68, M65-A), TKLs, 1800 layouts and numpad boards (such as the ZZ96, RS96, Leopold FC980M or the Duck Lightsaber) and others;
  • The vendor is yet to be decided and the keycap set is meant to be manufactured in China;
  • You can vote for the keycap set on Massdrop and the poll for Ergo/Planck/40%/Novelties here.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [IC] Joyland - A Cherry Profile Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:58:32 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:59:11 »
Who's making it and how much will it cost?

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:00:12 »
I'm down for whatever you make MiTo!! This is nice. I don't think I have anything in cherry profile either.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:03:19 »
I really like this set. I am definitely on board.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:03:29 »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:p

Who's making it and how much will it cost?

Cheers long time no hear from you, hope you're doing fine! I'm aiming for as low as it can get in regards of price, currently pitching a few ABS 2shot options from China.

I'm down for whatever you make MiTo!! This is nice. I don't think I have anything in cherry profile either.

Thanks for the support Mike, I hope this project fits your tastes!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:04:02 »
All the while I was assuming this would be a GMK set!

You already know how I feel about the design, the colours are just delicious. Very much looking forward to it!

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:10:19 »
Love love love the colors! It's for sure going to be ABS? I much prefer PBT but any cherry profile in this colorway is fine with me.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:53:38 »
Who is the manufacturer?
keyboards.

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:59:13 »
Who is the manufacturer?
Not sure yet.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:01:00 »
It's pretty much a GMK Cyan knockoff with minor color changes.

Basically looks like you subbed the legend colors on the color packs and changed the alphas to OG beige.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:02:32 by nubbinator »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:04:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Basically looks like you subbed the legend colors on the color packs and changed the alphas to OG beige.

Shhhh mito is god

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:06:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The alpha legends are black, the alphas are a nice cream and the mod legends are that same cream. I see a difference and, honestly, I'm kinda over the whole "copied/cloned the colorway of another keyset." No one owns colorways and I know MiTo, and he would not make a set if it's the exact same bar one difference to a pre-existing keyset.
ortho or shmortho

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:10:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The alpha legends are black, the alphas are a nice cream and the mod legends are that same cream. I see a difference and, honestly, I'm kinda over the whole "copied/cloned the colorway of another keyset." No one owns colorways and I know MiTo, and he would not make a set if it's the exact same bar one difference to a pre-existing keyset.

If MiTo is going flip his lid at people for doing similar designs, he deserves to be called out.  This is not an original design.  It is GMK Cyan mods with OG Cherry alphas and a modified GMK Cyan color pack.  Aside from the enter and escape key, anyone could literally make this set right now.

He asked for feedback, I'm letting him know the set has pretty much already been done.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:19:46 »
I think it's very hard to read the mods text.
Besides that I like it. Alphas look great.

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:21:32 by GreyAmbience »

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:27:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My thought is the same with nubb.The only difference between 2 sets I can see  is the black-on-white alpha.It's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:35:56 by mrboovn »
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:29:11 »
About the gmk cyan thing, this looks much better than that imo.
I have  o opinion about the similarity, I really don't care and I think people are over reacting about this. It's just the colors of a keyset folks.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:43:19 »
About the gmk cyan thing, this looks much better than that imo.
I have  o opinion about the similarity, I really don't care and I think people are over reacting about this. It's just the colors of a keyset folks.

I think it's an overreaction too. It's not the same so what's the problem..? It's not like GMK cyan is the only set that can use cyan.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 00:04:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If MiTo is going flip his lid at people for doing similar designs, he deserves to be called out.  This is not an original design.  It is GMK Cyan mods with OG Cherry alphas and a modified GMK Cyan color pack.  Aside from the enter and escape key, anyone could literally make this set right now.

He asked for feedback, I'm letting him know the set has pretty much already been done.

If GMK Cyan banged GMK Carbon, this would be the accident. I feel like the new hype colors or the more dull ones like this because of 9009. We went from Purple, Cyan everything to OG beige with dulled out bright colors.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:47:41 »
As an art director, I see colors in too miniscule steps and I oftenly argue with my designers debating 3 points of magenta in Illustrator.

And with that daily life I can say—based on this render—that the most left key isn't cyan, and the other key isn't magenta.

For which cyan and magenta is a raw color which tends to give, well, raw feeling. But Joyland's give a more subtle creamy nuance which bring a washed vibe. Oh and GMK Cyan didn't use creamy alpha with neutral legend too.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:51:07 »
As an art director, I see colors in too miniscule steps and I oftenly argue with my designers debating 3 points of magenta in Illustrator.

And with that daily life I can say—based on this render—that the most left key isn't cyan, and the other key isn't magenta.
(Attachment Link)

For which cyan and magenta is a raw color which tends to give, well, raw feeling. But Joyland's give a more subtle creamy nuance which bring a washed vibe. Oh and GMK Cyan didn't use creamy alpha with neutral legend too.
Exactly how I feel. If everyone is going to be so anal about colors when, in fact, the majority of the colors in a set are altered from what it is being compared to, it all feels wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ortho or shmortho

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 08:20:52 »
Triumph Adler was very close to Cyan too. There's a limited number of colors that people really enjoy on keycaps.. things are going to get rehashed, and personally I'm all for it.
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 08:40:40 »

I'm sorry but what came first, the ACTUAL Joyland or GMK Cyan?

We know the answer to that. So basically what you're saying is no one is allowed to do a Joyland themed key set because cyan modifiers are trademarked by GMK Cyan and whoever designed it correct? Just like how a beige base with spacebar/enter pastel accents was done by 9009 yet JChan ran and has been seeing crazy success with his GMK Muted design?

Inspiration for the set asides the colours are still very different in my opinion, I don't know what prompted you to reply in this manner, I suppose that first comment you made about his lid means you personally have a bone to pick with the guy but this is obviously not the way to go about it. Relax. We're talking about plastic keys you put on your keyboard.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:40:06 »

(Attachment Link)

I agree with he washed vibe. I said it on massdrop discussion that it gave me a vintage Miami look. Definitely completely different than cyan on so many levels.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:11:12 »
obligatory "do it in DCS" post
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:14:12 »
It's not GMK, if that's why you're making that post. And DCS? 😱
ortho or shmortho

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:17:01 »
It's not GMK, if that's why you're making that post. And DCS? 😱

I like DCS. I want a DCS GB. I don't have the time or resources to do one myself.

So I post in all the IC threads telling people to do it in DCS.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:19:45 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:56:20 »

I also enjoy the DCS profile and it's thinness, are you a blues user by any chance? Also, what's your favorite DCS project?

(Attachment Link)

Good observations, the colors present on the project are variants of green, red and yellow. I believe these tones translate the washed vibe nicely, they instantly remind me of creepy parks... And abandoned wacky shacks! Also, what kind of art do you work with (if you don't mind the question) I'd like to see your work!

I think it's very hard to read the mods text.
Besides that I like it. Alphas look great.

Thanks for the feedback, do you still feel this way upon glancing at the M65-A renders, present on this slideshow down here? I already tried light grey legends on modifiers and wasn't exactly pleased with the result. But if this is the direction you guys think we should take, I believe it's a fair call to debate this detail. What do you guys think? I can render a couple versions with grey legends for the modifiers so you can visualize it better.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:58:42 »
I almost exclusively use linear switches, actually

My favorite DCS sets are SoWaRe and the Smallfry set.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 21:07:52 »
Thanks for the feedback, do you still feel this way upon glancing at the M65-A renders, present on this slideshow down here? I already tried light grey legends on modifiers and wasn't exactly pleased with the result. But if this is the direction you guys think we should take, I believe it's a fair call to debate this detail. What do you guys think? I can render a couple versions with grey legends for the modifiers so you can visualize it better.

I feel like the legends are very visible - I might be biased though, I touch type exclusively so I don't really mind if something isn't super vibrant, I still maintain my opinion that they are perfectly legible though as is.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 21:26:34 »

Regarding your link - the "Mech27" isn't "real". Mech27 is a winkeyless TKL, yours just seems to be a basic TKL model. I also don't see any dents/scratches so it can't be it :))

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 21:37:20 »
I almost exclusively use linear switches, actually

My favorite DCS sets are SoWaRe and the Smallfry set.

Oh okay, I asked because blues users tend to like DCS from what I read so I thought you had this preference. 

I feel like the legends are very visible - I might be biased though, I touch type exclusively so I don't really mind if something isn't super vibrant, I still maintain my opinion that they are perfectly legible though as is.

I also believe it's very readable, especially when you expand the renders to a better resolution!

Regarding your link - the "Mech27" isn't "real". Mech27 is a winkeyless TKL, yours just seems to be a basic TKL model. I also don't see any dents/scratches so it can't be it :))

It isn't a real Mech27 yes, because I removed the winkey blockers from the model which was originally a Mech27 keyboard. The model was kindly offered so I could provide a preview for the TKL layout via rendering.

Offline Nekomancer

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 11:05:54 »
Wow, I love the colors on this set. If it's affordable and fits a Whitefox I'll have to get it. Any chance for a Colemak/Dvorak kit?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 17:47:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:36 by alienman82 »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 21:20:29 »

Good observations, the colors present on the project are variants of green, red and yellow. I believe these tones translate the washed vibe nicely, they instantly remind me of creepy parks... And abandoned wacky shacks! Also, what kind of art do you work with (if you don't mind the question) I'd like to see your work!

Yes it kinds of melancholic too in my eyes. My suggestion is to bring the color a bit more pastel (at least on the render, or change the lighting setup) to avoid confusion with GMK Cyan. I work on visual branding studio named SANROK Studio http://sanrokstudio.com/ but as we all know, no graphic design web is up to date  :p

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 21:41:15 »
This is a very beautiful set. Love the warm tone, will buy one when the gb is up

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 22:09:36 »
Love it, but feels like it's missing something. Additionally, is it possible to have compatibility like GMK Terminal? If DCS makes it cheaper and more colourful I'm all for it :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:12:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

just leave the thread if you're pissed. no one cares

Cool story.

Offline kaeeeede

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 00:06:51 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Well he would certainly steal logos and fonts and pass them off as his own. I don't see why he would stop at colorways.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 00:25:45 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:01:33 by alienman82 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 03:25:42 »
Please keep things civil and on-topic.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 19:15:49 »
Love it, but feels like it's missing something. Additionally, is it possible to have compatibility like GMK Terminal? If DCS makes it cheaper and more colourful I'm all for it :D

What if we highlight the J O Y L A N D alphas with pink legends? What do you think about that? Regarding your request for compatibility, like other GMK keycap sets, it would be very hard to achieve it given that this project will not happen with GMK, and the availability for molds between manufacturers vastly differ. DCS is also not being considered, I am locked for Cherry profile with this one, but let me know what you think!

This is a very beautiful set. Love the warm tone, will buy one when the gb is up

Happy that you enjoy the keyset, if you have some ideas about novelties feel free to share dude.

Yes it kinds of melancholic too in my eyes. My suggestion is to bring the color a bit more pastel (at least on the render, or change the lighting setup) to avoid confusion with GMK Cyan. I work on visual branding studio named SANROK Studio http://sanrokstudio.com/ but as we all know, no graphic design web is up to date  :p

This studio is fantastic! Reading through the Meirton process was very interesting I wonder how successful that restaurant became. Such a lovely concept and so neatly executed. My favorite thing about it is the chairs and of course the menu. Wonderful job man! I can tell how passionate the people that worked on that are, because I think the concept translated very well.

Wow, I love the colors on this set. If it's affordable and fits a Whitefox I'll have to get it. Any chance for a Colemak/Dvorak kit?

It definitely fits the WhiteFox, unless you're talking about the ISO version (which I can't possibly cover for now - April, 4th). I'm reading quite a substantial amount of requests for Colemak/Dvorak coverage so I'm thinking about including the required keycaps in the base kit. What do you think?

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 03:32:33 »
@mito, that sounds like a interesting idea, how would it look? What manufacturer are you thinking of? EnjoyPBT?

Offline breckstar

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 09:19:01 »
I like that joy land alpha differential idea. Something not common which would be cool to see. Only thing similar I know is the valentine pulse but it's not really the same. It would be neat to get actual "novelties" that made those letters similar font to the actual amusement park. Like where they are tilted on the logo. Could draw up a sample image if can't visualize.

All for helping those savage colevrak people out even though I'm a lame qwerty.

If we could ever get novelties, I think there could be plenty good potential for a symbols mod pack that utilize the park features as follows:

Roller coaster track as shifts

The figure 8 arrow on the logo mixture as the enter or backspace

Merry go round as caps/function

Ferries wheel as GUI key

Things of that nature.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 13:43:01 »
@mito, that sounds like a interesting idea, how would it look? What manufacturer are you thinking of? EnjoyPBT?

Following the interest in this specific idea, I did a quick render for the sake of visualization and I have a couple more finalizing in a couple hours (my engine doesn't run very fast). If we highlight the JOYLAND letters this is the look I think we should go for (click and it will expand to better resolution):

I will address to @breckstar ideas later today as the potential for icons truly exist, @livingspeedbump provided me with great material in this regard and I'm hoping to explore it soon!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 13:45:41 »
Linking from imgur doesn't help with resolution, so I'm uploading it again via attachment to see if it looks better.

164867-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 13:49:47 by MiTo »

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:06:20 »
I was a bit meh before, but I'm loving the tweak in the latest render. The understated playfulness is full of awesome. Can not come soon enough.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:08:43 by lecorsair »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:14:02 »
I prefer the straight up standard alphas personally if I were to have to choose - however, if you can include those highlights for a reasonable price as a bonus rather than straight up replacing the regular ones, then I'm absolutely all for it. Shouldn't be too hard right? Considering this is meant to be ran by an affordable manufacturer, I think that sounds feasible.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:15:36 »
Liking the pink JOYLAND changes a LOT.

Makes it a buy for me.

Offline JDT79

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:18:42 »
I agree with Vigrith I would buy as a bonus pack but would prefer to have the option. Still gonna buy regardless.