Author Topic: Blue's Collection  (Read 4080 times)

Offline BlueBär

Blue's Collection
« on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:05:44 »
So after one year and a thousand posts I thought it might be time to post my little collection. There is still a lot more in the mail and in GBs that haven't finished yet which I will update later.

Buckling Spring
IBM Model M 1391403

57809-0

This was my first mechanical keyboard which I got at my first ebay auction (that I almost lost, iirc the difference to my maximum offer was like 1€). I still use it in a keyboard drawer if I need a numpad, but I'll have to bolt mod it someday. Still, a great keyboard which I would recommend for starters that want to know what mechancial keyboards are all about, because if you're lucky you can find them for quite cheap.

Cherry MX
KBT Pure

57811-1

My second mech that I got after researching a lot about it on Geekhack. Used to have Browns with o-rings, but I couldn't stand them after using it for about half a year. I switched them out for some Vintage Blacks by WhiskyTango with 65g springs and they're fantastic. I still use it as my main keyboard. Caps are from WASD Keyboards and a Triumph Adler typewriter, the Esc was painted with nail polish by my girlfriend.

Leopold FC220RT

57813-2

I got this one a few days ago and use it since then. Blanks surely take some getting used to but I'm getting there (I'm a slow typist anyways). It has some MX Blues and is actually my first plate mounted keyboard (if you don't count the Model M which is not really plate mounted). I like the Blues but might use heavier or lighter springs in it - both options have their pros and cons. Definately confirms my choice of MX Whites for my GH60.

Sun Type 5 keyboard

57815-3

This one is kind of rare as most Sun Type 5 keyboards are not mechanical while this one uses MX Blacks. It's a neat board but I haven't decided what to do with it yet, I might sell it or harvest keycaps and switches from it.

Cherry G80-1500

57817-4

This one has been bought for the keycaps but the switches are nice as well - smooth Vintage Blacks. I know there is still quite a few people who think that there is no difference between normal and Vintage Blacks, but if I compare it to the Sun keyboard, there sure is. Switches will get harvested for a future project.

Alps
Apple M0120

57819-5

Still haven't direct wired this... Has some T-mount Alps which are to heavy for my taste, but it will get new springs. Some springs are currently missing because I tested them in other switches etc.

NTC 6251 PCB

57821-6

Got this PCB from Tinlong because I wanted to try some Alps. I really like them, they feel great and sound a lot better than MX Blues in my opionion. The plate is plastic and broken, but I will harvest the switches anyways when I have a nice PCB to put them on.

Other stuff
Pravetz KBD-8A

57823-7

Nice keyboard with beautiful caps and some reed switches. I have found a source for springs that fit and will try to design a PCB for the switches. Already have an idea for a case but I'm not sure how much I want to invest, it really depends on how the PCB comes out and how good the switches feel after cleaning and lubing.

Peacock branded G81

57825-8

I bought this keyboard just for the case, came in the original Peacock box which has a beautiful color. It will house a Leeku PCB when I can get my hands on one.

My collection is still fairly small but in the last few months it has increased quite a bit, I hope I can continue that trend. I'm now getting to a point where I have to think about storage...
I also noticed that I have a lot more switches than I have keycaps or PCBs - that will have to change ;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Blue's Collection
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:27:01 »
Fine collection you have BlueBar, the caps on that Pravetz are way cool.  :cool:

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:30:08 »
Here's more pictures and a video of the Pravetz if you haven't seen them yet: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54013.msg1208590 ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:33:56 »
Great stuff bluebär! ;D
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Grimey

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:35:25 »
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed seeing the M0120  and would agree about the switches being much to heavy.
Erlang your pants off

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:40:31 »
Here's more pictures and a video of the Pravetz if you haven't seen them yet: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54013.msg1208590 ;)

Excellent review there, so those switches sound like a pain to open but with the magnetic-reed architecture, would anyone actually need to open them? Seems like they would last a very long time, never seen this before, very cool.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:45:36 »
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed seeing the M0120  and would agree about the switches being much to heavy.

Restoring that think will be an adventure, it needs retrobright as well. Luckily it is evenly yellowed which makes things a bit easier. Oh and its plate - it bends so easily! I would describe it even as "soft". So I might replace that as well.

Great stuff bluebär! ;D

Thanks!

Excellent review there, so those switches sound like a pain to open but with the magnetic-reed architecture, would anyone actually need to open them? Seems like they would last a very long time, never seen this before, very cool.

In my case, yes. The springs feel sort of uneven and because of their fairly open design they need a bit of cleaning on the inside. They would still work a long time though even if I didn't refurbish them.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:46:23 »
Eyyy, "my" 1500! :P Nice collection. :thumb:
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:56:45 »

Hehehe :D
It's kinda cool how its "Rollen" key traveled so far :)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:01:13 »

Hehehe :D
It's kinda cool how its "Rollen" key traveled so far :)

Hah, I sold the 1.5 mods, spacebar and windowed stepped caps lock to Dubs as well. :P And all the numpad keycaps to another guy from California IIRC. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:02:48 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:19:22 »
Nice variety. Clean boards.

:)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:10:51 »
nice collection.  :thumb:

Where did you get that awesome Peacock board? ;D

(guess who got a nib winkeyless peacock board recently)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:14:38 »
nice collection.  :thumb:

Where did you get that awesome Peacock board? ;D

(guess who got a nib winkeyless peacock board recently)

Dang it! WKL would have been neat :(
Oh and don't forget, that M0120 was from you as well!